Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i've been trying to hold off on commenting on the whole dishonored 2 performance stuff because I'm obviously crazy biased but it's claimed that the whole fuckup with that launch was due to nvidia releasing some broken loving drivers the week before dh2 launched, and then launching a set of "new" drivers a week later that was actually a rollback that corrected 90% of the performance issues people were having with dishonored 2.

now even I take that explanation with a grain of salt but i did do my due diligence and nvidia released driver 376.19 on december 5th, dishonored 2 launched on december 11th, and nvidia then released driver 376.33 on december 14th, which seems anomalously close together for a driver release and corroborates the story as it was told to me, so maybe it wasn't actually totally arkane's fault

The Nvidia drivers didn't help, but no. The game was still unoptimized and stuttery as poo poo even a month after release on hardware which should chew that game for breakfast (i5 4690k, GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM) and it wasn't even that graphically impressive either. It's good to know it's been fixed now but it also shouldn't have released in that state either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Back Hack posted:

Prey 2 gameplay, looked super generic.

People just wanted a open world bounty hunting game. It looked more impressive at the time compared to now where every game is an open world game.

Palpek posted:

Prey 1's strongest gimmick was the gravity changing while portals were not present in the game that much. There was also the spirit mode and there were some simple puzzles combined with it (plus a cool game over mode). Overall the combat was pretty tight and I thought that it was a sweet game for the time. It had a horrific final boss though.

Prey was also the Duke Nukem Forever of its time, being announced in 1995, due out in 1998 and not coming out until 2006. They had trouble getting the portal technology to work right. The end result was a fine if rather cookie cutter FPS. I'm not sure why people have so much attachment to it as it was quickly forgotten about after release. Even the original idea of Prey 2 was only tangentially related to the first game with Tommy making a small cameo. It was as big of a departure from the original game as this Prey 2017 reboot is, so I don't know why people are lambasting it for being nothing like the original game.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 8, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I mean. I never particularly found System Shock 1 scary either, gross yes but not scary and the horror of System Shock 2 is more down to the excellent sound design of The Many and robots and that enemies could respawn and sneak up behind you at a moments notice. Even then, the music of System Shock 2 didn't always fit a scary atmosphere so horror was just a small part of System Shock 2. I'd say Prey is more of a horror game than System Shock 1 was and it still has its moments. Especially if you don't like needles going in eyes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, old Prey was actually alright. It was a fine if not an amazing shooter with some cool environments and weapons and interesting gimmicks. What's been surprising to me with the new Prey is finding out that there are apparently quite a few people who really, really hated the original. I don't think they really gained anything at all from re-using the name.

Out of the trifecta of Doom 3, Quake 4 and OG Prey, I'd honestly say Prey was the best of them. It was certainly unique enough compared to the other two, had a really cool gimmick with the portals and the weapons felt alien enough that they didn't feel like a generic shotgun, assault rifle, rocket launcher etc.

I still think calling new Prey, Prey was a bad idea and looking online I think response to it would have been much more positive if it were called Spaceshock or something, because it's an excellent game but has nothing to do with Prey.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Bioshock 1 was a lukewarm rehash of SS2 right down to the bad final level and disappointing final boss, except worse in every way except aesthetics, and Bioshock Infinite sucked on toast, so this doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.

(Watch it turn out to be Prey 2 except they called it Bioshock for some reason the same way they called Prey Prey instead of System Shock 3)

Ken Levine isn't involved in the new one and his ego and "both sides are badism" should be absent and if the story quality is as good as the Bioshock 2 dlc then it probably has a good chance of being the best Bioshock game.