Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Rookoo posted:

How am I supposed to get into the Med Bay next to The Magnetosphere? The door is barricaded and I've looked for vents in the next room to no avail.

I think I turned into a roll of bandages and went through the gaps in the barricade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Skippy McPants posted:

Honestly, this is a better System Shock than System Shock.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I first heard about the System Shock series about 3 years ago. Tried to get into 2 but it hasn't aged very gracefully. The whole rng combat thing was complete rubbish imo. Whereas I can still dive into Descent 2 or play Planescape Torment just fine.

Palpek posted:

Somebody please post (in spooilers) what that recycler exploit is.

Basically, you put a stack of materials into a recycler, and every time you split the stack, that much is added to the output. You can also halve the output if you put the stacks back together...

edit: One can also use cheat engine to manipulate item stack values... Search for the value of a stack, split it, search again, combine it, search again, until you get 1 value. You can do that for pretty much anything, medkits, neuromods, etc.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Possible PS4 Bug for the "Do No Harm" sidequest: I hit start assessment in the office but nothing happens?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

The game is mostly System Shock, but parts of it are also Half-Life 1 as gently caress. A lot of the Power Plant section for example.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lakbay posted:

Possible PS4 Bug for the "Do No Harm" sidequest: I hit start assessment in the office but nothing happens?

Try restarting from the other PC.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I dismissed this game because the original Prey was loving garbo, so bad job to the naming team i guess.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well, that's that. Clocked in about 18 hours, really good rear end game. Glad it came out on the weekend so I could blitz through it. Ending was kind of lame, I expected some sort of big encounter or something towards the end, although I'm glad there wasn't a giant annoying boss fight against the Aphex as well, so I guess I can't complain. Just felt like the ending was really sudden to me. I knew the twist the moment i GLOO'd myself up to Alex's penthouse and then across the drawbridge the moment you get access to the zone and got the bad ending, combined with Alex constantly going on about mirror neurons and such. The only thing I'm a bit confused about is, did the events of Talos-1 actually happen, and you were simply playing a simulation of it, or was it entirely fabricated for the simulation? And what happened to the real Morgan? is all of that just sequel fodder or is there secret info to uncover or something?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ok this starting to bug me, does anyone know where the keycard for the supply closet in IT security is?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oohh, fun thing I discovered. The Q-Beam makes stuff blow up once you pump enough green energy stuff into it, right? Well, the exploded life form will in turn infect other nearby typhon with more green energy. So you can use it to take out clusters of weak enemies too. I lured a bunch of mimics together and Q-Beamed one and they all blew up. Didn't need to use much ammo, either.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I dismissed this game because the original Prey was loving garbo, so bad job to the naming team i guess.
I think it's generally the consensus that Bethesda's marketing department are pulling another Doom, and being absolutely loving terrible at marketing a actually decent game again.

If I remember rightly there's one very vague reference to the original game in a text log somewhere, and that's about it. :shrug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Zenimax and Bethesda are also being dicks by pressuring some little indie game by saying NO. PREY ITSELF IS OUR WORD. YOU'RE HURTING OUR COPYRIGHT BY USING IT IN A COMPLETELY UNRELATED PROJECT. Hell, Prey 2017 would be an even stronger game if they just dropped Prey and made up their own name, but since this game is just a Frankenstein's monster of good things in cool games in general, that's was never going to happen.

I don't know if its just their Marketing Department loving up or if its Executive Stupidity from Top to Bottom, but however you slice it they need to cut this poo poo out now because they don't know how to handle reviews nor PR.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They could have called the game PsychoShock

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The only thing I'm a bit confused about is, did the events of Talos-1 actually happen, and you were simply playing a simulation of it, or was it entirely fabricated for the simulation? And what happened to the real Morgan? is all of that just sequel fodder or is there secret info to uncover or something?

I seems the world got destroyed by the aliens (are are in that process, but is slow) you are a experiment by alex to create a hybrid that is also friendly. The real morgan probably was one of the dudes that infected earth with the aliens. The simulation recreate the elements, but have a lot of freedom to it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, that's that. Clocked in about 18 hours, really good rear end game. Glad it came out on the weekend so I could blitz through it. Ending was kind of lame, I expected some sort of big encounter or something towards the end, although I'm glad there wasn't a giant annoying boss fight against the Aphex as well, so I guess I can't complain. Just felt like the ending was really sudden to me. I knew the twist the moment i GLOO'd myself up to Alex's penthouse and then across the drawbridge the moment you get access to the zone and got the bad ending, combined with Alex constantly going on about mirror neurons and such. The only thing I'm a bit confused about is, did the events of Talos-1 actually happen, and you were simply playing a simulation of it, or was it entirely fabricated for the simulation? And what happened to the real Morgan? is all of that just sequel fodder or is there secret info to uncover or something?

they say its built on the memories, so maybe it did happen. i hope it did honestly or at least partially because the world is interesting and if its all a dream, that would blow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just found out that the pistol is the go-to weapon...in space. It tears everything down so quickly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Palpek posted:

I just found out that the pistol is the go-to weapon...in space. It tears everything down so quickly.

Yeah, it's far more relaible than the shotgun, which has very odd and inconsistent damage fall-off. With the pistol you're putting out eight unupgraded damage, no matter what, and the effective range is larger than most rooms. Technically speaking you are losing out in raw damage for similar materials (8 x 30 = 240 vs 25 x 12 = 300), but it's far more likely that you will actually *get* that damage.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There are some fantastic "Original Prey 2 would have been the best game ever (according to this E3 presentation video) and Bethesda killed it" warriors on Steam.

quote:

Where is Duke Nukem and Lo Wang bro main character with humor and story about indian reservation that got abducted?

Why do we play as some mongolian Adam Jensen? We never asked for this!

This game just spit in face of every Prey fan.

quote:

Right now, I see Bethesda as a man who doesn't accept to be said no when he wants a woman and who rapes women who don't want to offer themselve to him.
To sign a contract with Bethesda is the same as to sign your sentence to death or to slavery.
And I feel as if buying a video game published by Bethesda is the same as buying a product made by slaves and support slavery...

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm picking literally everything up and I'm still coming up short on mineral/metal materials. I realized I was kinda wasting ammo but even after cutting back I'm stuck in a rut where i'm always super low on ammo/materials because of it. Any good methods/locations to get some?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I figured that going Deus Ex mode(aka build The One Pistol) would work and so far it has. Don't even need to max out gun smithing. Take a point in that and go ham on pistol skills. Gloo > pistol and stun gun > pistol are my go to moves.

I just need to gear better for the big fuckers. They're becoming more prevalent. A lot more prevalent.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Odobenidae posted:

I'm picking literally everything up and I'm still coming up short on mineral/metal materials. I realized I was kinda wasting ammo but even after cutting back I'm stuck in a rut where i'm always super low on ammo/materials because of it. Any good methods/locations to get some?

Minerals are the sticking point, yeah, because they're used in basically everything. You can waylay some of the shortage by Recycle Grenading piles of metal, but really you just have to be diligent with picking up all the scrap metal you can find.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Tried returning to Neuromod Division for some side quest stuff. Executable crashes every time I try to load in. :sigh:

I hope someone else had something similar and found a workaround.

I have the same thing, there is no workaround that I have seen, people are just waiting for a patch.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Minerals are the sticking point, yeah, because they're used in basically everything. You can waylay some of the shortage by Recycle Grenading piles of metal, but really you just have to be diligent with picking up all the scrap metal you can find.

I have a lot of problems figuring out what is recyclable or not. Like I'll throw one at an area where it looks like there's a good amount of stuff and I'll get less that a single material cube's worth from it. Also some times it just doesn't work because the grenade's effect gets neutered due to level geometry. :/

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 7, 2017

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I'm not sure if there's much point in getting the double jump. I managed to get on top of the greenhouse just by messing around with the gloo gun, and half the beams aren't solid, making me think I'm not supposed to be up there. Of course I'm still having huge trouble doing decent damage to the enemy in there no matter if I get the drop on it or not. (I could just start throwing grenades but I'm trying not to kill the NPCs the thing is controlling)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If anyone takes any good screenshots, or videos of gameplay - particularly in space - please let me know and I'll add to the op.

I've played a bunch and this might be the best overall game I've ever played. It's right up there anyway. Good work again Arkane.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 7, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GhostDog posted:

There are some fantastic "Original Prey 2 would have been the best game ever (according to this E3 presentation video) and Bethesda killed it" warriors on Steam.

lol seriously? tommy was meh at best. sure i liked the weird techno organic alien environments and other poo poo. but i would honestly be ok if they turned prey into a system shock type American Horror Story type anthology where every game tells a different story.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Prey 2 gameplay, looked super generic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prey 1 was pretty generic even for the time. I have no idea what is it people remember fondly from it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Back Hack posted:

BUT SPACE STRIPPERS

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Prey 1 was pretty generic even for the time. I have no idea what is it people remember fondly from it.

It had portals before Portal and a pretty harrowing intro chapter when you and everything in town are abducted and chopped into hamburger. That's about it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, it was a big inspiration for Mass Effect 2

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Back Hack posted:

People just wanted a open world bounty hunting game. It looked more impressive at the time compared to now where every game is an open world game.

Palpek posted:

Prey 1's strongest gimmick was the gravity changing while portals were not present in the game that much. There was also the spirit mode and there were some simple puzzles combined with it (plus a cool game over mode). Overall the combat was pretty tight and I thought that it was a sweet game for the time. It had a horrific final boss though.

Prey was also the Duke Nukem Forever of its time, being announced in 1995, due out in 1998 and not coming out until 2006. They had trouble getting the portal technology to work right. The end result was a fine if rather cookie cutter FPS. I'm not sure why people have so much attachment to it as it was quickly forgotten about after release. Even the original idea of Prey 2 was only tangentially related to the first game with Tommy making a small cameo. It was as big of a departure from the original game as this Prey 2017 reboot is, so I don't know why people are lambasting it for being nothing like the original game.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 8, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Prey 1's strongest gimmick was the gravity changing while portals were not present in the game that much. There was also the spirit mode and there were some simple puzzles combined with it (plus a cool game over mode). Overall the combat was pretty tight and I thought that it was a sweet game for the time. It had a horrific final boss though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So I see this is being billed as a horror game, but what I'm hearing (and seeing from earlygame streams) is that it isn't really very scary; mimics are kind of cute, even.

However, I'm a huge baby about horror, and on literal doctor's orders to avoid anything excessively stressful besides, so how does this game rate re: scariness/stressfulness, notably risk of jumpscares etc.? I'm not suuuuper keen on the idea of something chasing me around the game, but the gameplay looks fun as hell and I loved the Deus Ex games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'd say it's on par with Alien: Isolation when it comes to scary elements. It's not really horror but it's tense and there'll be jumpscares but that's it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So I see this is being billed as a horror game, but what I'm hearing (and seeing from earlygame streams) is that it isn't really very scary; mimics are kind of cute, even.

However, I'm a huge baby about horror, and on literal doctor's orders to avoid anything excessively stressful besides, so how does this game rate re: scariness/stressfulness, notably risk of jumpscares etc.? I'm not suuuuper keen on the idea of something chasing me around the game, but the gameplay looks fun as hell and I loved the Deus Ex games.

I'm a big pussy when it comes to scares and Prey doesn't jump scare you often but I find it incredibly tense.
I'm more constantly on edge about the potential of every physics jump scaring me.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Palpek posted:

I'd say it's on par with Alien: Isolation when it comes to scary elements. It's not really horror but it's tense and there'll be jumpscares but that's it.

Yeah, this is my go-to comparison for the tone too. It's not really as tense as A:I (mostly because you aren't dealing with the same level of lethality) but you definitely have a lot of stressful moments of avoiding enemies or not knowing where a noise came from. Jumpscares are pretty common if only because the primary enemy type can imitate any physics-enabled prop, then jump at you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, it's more of a constant creeping tension that never goes away than a bunch of pointed scares. I don't know if that's better or worse on the "excessively stressful" scale!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Back Hack posted:

Some people would like a cool Bobba Fett game. But Prey 2017 is good in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There's only been one major jump scare that I've run into so far (I think it's an optional area, you'll know it when it happens), but the mimic scares don't really hit home usually because you're already expecting random bits of debris to be mimics. The only other jump scare that got me was when I picked up a heavy object next to a propane tank which caused it to explode and kill me.