Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pretty sure you can relisten to the calls people make to you via the Transcribe menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

On the note of crafting neuromods, I wonder how many peoples' worth of mods Morgan has by the end of a game. https://i.imgur.com/lIWQhxj.jpg suggests that under controlled conditions you get 80 mods from a single person which would put Morgan at about one person's worth, but most of your mods aren't pre-made, they're home-made (with love!) and DIY harvesting is clearly a lot less efficient than whatever they did to get 20 mods per mimic in the labs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Place where I first found it had a link to an article about Prey's development; the article said that they used that image (as well as a few others, like one that details the Typhon lifecycle) as an internal guideline for the development team so everybody would be on the same page with the game's lore.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

Ss2's had sick body horror and two (three if you count xerxes) creepy antagonists. Also the sound design was great for horror (e g hybrids screaming at you for death or apologising. So prey doesn't quite exceed it in all areas.

"Who chose these colours? I don't like them."

As creepy as the Cyborg Midwives etc are, the service robots always freaked me out the most, weirdly. I definitely have to agree though, Prey is a fantastic game but sound design is not where it excels.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Slowly? I wouldn't call 15m/s slow, but whatever floats your boat.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah there is definitely collision damage. It's not severe, but if the gauge is red then you're gonna get hurt hitting stuff.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The thing that goes WHOOOOOOOOOORRMM KZZZAP does give you a quest marker as you drift past I think, though I know for sure the game flags it to you with some dialogue.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ignoranus posted:

Is the thing you're referring to the Magnetic Field Generator that's supposed to keep the station safe but is overloading and sending periodic pulses that messes with your vision and suit when you're outside the container and straight-up murders you if you're inside it[/url]? Because if not, I would love to see another thing in the game that goes WHOOOOOOOOOOORRMM KZZZAP.

As far as game progress, I'm a little ways into the game - finally starting to pick up Alien neuromod skills and they're so useful that it's ridiculous, especially the one that interferes with enemy Psi powers. I'm curious about some of the powers - the one that gives you straight-up health regeneration after taking damage, does that require you to be mimic'ed in order to be in effect? I'm just thrown off because it's below the "Mimic" power in the skill tree.

I've reached the [spoiler]Crew Quarters
and have more or less cleared the area. This game is great.

Yes, that's the thing I meant. It seemed important, but I suspect that if I hadn't done anything about it the station would have been fine. Not that the station was going to last much longer anyway though I guess.

And no, that power does not require you to be mimic'd. It's absurdly good- against things that don't hit very hard, you can actually just intentionally take damage from them and get more health back than you lose every time as a way of healing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Definitely recommend Superthermal on Cystoids if you have the psi to burn. Gloo/huntress/throwing stuff all works, but it can take quite a while on bigger nests. Superthermal eradicates huge clouds at once and feels so good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Honestly Superthermal is worth it just for the Psychoshock/Superthermal combo alone. On hard it's a one-two combo kill on weavers if you have the right upgrades, and because they don't share a cooldown you can just nuke them (or anything smaller) instantly. Really messes up just about anything.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I felt really bad for the fake cook. He had set all these recycler traps, but I had three of the suit chips that make you immune to recycler grenades, so... I just slotted one, and ignored them. And he never seemed to realize...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also, gameplay and lore don't always line up perfectly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

All of the fruit and meat have a justification to them- the eels are for sewage treatment and then food, while the plants were all picked for nutritional content. The lemons are for vitamin c (space scurvy yo), the bananas are for potassium, etc. At first it just felt like a large random collection of foodstuffs, but there's some pretty cool logic going on here, someone actually took the time to think about what sorts of stuff you would grow in space if you had to be efficient about it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's good to live with your mistakes! Makes these games a lot richer usually, though for something like that I can totally see loading.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Daud standalone DLCs were some of my favourite bits of DLC from the last decade, I would be completely fine with the same thing in Prey form.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hell yeah, moon base DLC please.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The recycler grenades aren't so much to get materials as to remove things that are in your way, like crates, biohazards, or Typhon. The materials are a secondary effect. Think of it more as a cool frag grenade.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If I could mimic things I would not use it to rob banks or assassinate people or anything dumb like that.

I would just sneak into people's houses and gently caress with them.

"Wait, there are THREE shoes? How??"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

So speaking of neuromods. I had like 7 collected, went to first mod my trusty boomstick with one of the weapon upgrades and then while dicking around in the inventory, somehow managed to convert neuromods into weapon upgrades. I now have 8 weapon upgrades instead of 1 and 0 neuromods.

Is this a glitch or did I accidentally use some existing convesion functionality? I wouldn't complain too much normally but I don't have the fabrication plans yet so that kind of sucks.

That sounds like a bug. It's intended for you to be able to break stuff down and make other things, but you need a recycler and a fabricator both to do so, and the fabrication plans, so it would be pretty hard to do on accident.

Don't worry too much, there are a lot of neuromod fab plans onboard the station, and more mods are not hard to come by.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm pretty sure they establish that Talos is at the Earth-Moon L1 Lagrange point, meaning it's stable between the earth and the Moon. Given that this is the case, the moon should always be a stationary frame of reference out of the window because the orbital period is stable and synchronous with the moon. Disclaimer: I am not an astronomer, and I am preeeettty sure that it says somewhere Talos is at Lagrange L1, but there is a real possibility that I am wrong here.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I couldn't remember if you could see the earth, but if you can in the same angle then yeah you're definitely not at L1, and as Ravenfood says, not L2 either.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thread continues to be gold by teaching me about orbital mechanics. The halo orbits are cool and make quite a bit of sense for anything that would be at Earth-Moon L2. At this point though I guess it makes the most sense for the station to be in the moon's orbit if we're basing it off the celestial bodies we can see.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Like I said earlier, I am no astrophysicist, but that orbit... yeah. I guess it's one of those things, what's accurate is not always what looks cool, which is also why the Earth is gigantic compared to what it should look like.

I'm just gonna pretend it's at L2 like the in-game stuff says.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I didn't find SS2 to be terribly clunky. SS1, yes, that put me off for years, even on the enhanced edition. SS2 you'll need to rebind some keys and it'll take a couple levels to get used to, but once you're beyond that it doesn't function terribly differently from a modern game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Interestingly, I had about a 50/50 split with Phantom Genesis- half the time they were nigh-unstoppable butchering machines who would slay in my name to increase my glory without me having to lift a finger, and half the time they'd sit there and pick their noses. Fortunately, there is no shortage of bodies, and making a new phantom tended to reroll the dice on whether I would get a good one or not.

Rangpur posted:

I'd hazard people still carrying a torch for System Shock probably aren't bothered by rough edges in general. :v:

That sounds about right for System Shock to me. I've played both, but my first experience with each was in the last five years, so I'm not looking at them with 20 years of nostalgia between us. They're delightful games that have a lot to recommend to them, but they're also rougher than a sailor's language. Not even just by the standards of a modern game but comparing them to things that came out at around the same time they leave a lot to be desired in the polish department. They're games you won't enjoy if you care about the ending and everything that happens along the way is irrelevant.

In that regard, Prey is a much better- it's far more polished than either SS game in a way that's not even close. It has the same trouble as both SS games though where there are so many interconnected systems that are actively encouraging the player to try and break the rules that eventually something is going to give way and you'll encounter troubles.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Nightmare definitely needs to be scarier. It struggles far too much in confined spaces or when you have a slight height advantage on it. By mid-late game you should have the tools you need to just take it down in seconds in a fair, open fight without worrying about it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's such a tough thing to match up to the Shodan reveal in SS2, I don't blame Prey for not trying. I played SS2 for the first time about four years ago and even then with the graphics and sound so outdated at the time it was still just a spectacular scene.

There's a room with most of the walls made of Looking Glass where it asks you to calibrate it by pressing on the glass in certain areas- I think most of you will know where I am talking about- and I half expected Arkane to try something like that there, but they went a very different route for that room. Still scared the poo poo out of me though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phantom Shift, like a lot of the powers, really depends on how you use it. I found it was great when I remembered to use it in the rare combat instance where I was surprised or outclassed, it gets you out of view and leaves a dummy behind; and it's ace against turrets if you don't have the eletro psi power yet, it completely bamboozles them while you get behind and smack them with a wrench. I wouldn't call it a must-have but I definitely got a fair amount of use out of it, and certainly didn't regret investing in it.

And yeah, the scan of your decoy almost makes it worth it alone.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

All these questions and more will be answered if you continue to play the game!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

hampig posted:

Although if I have a heart attack I can safely blame whoever wrote the music, goddamn.

Would you believe that it was Mick O'Gordon, the same guy who wrote the new DOOM soundtrack?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Would be a whole game's worth of work just getting the NPCs in routines and not leaving the station feeling empty & weird, but yeah, I hear ya.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While I'm inclined to agree, for whatever reason that makes a lot of people really mad (Mass Effect 1 elevators/airlocks). I don't really get it, you were going to have to load anyway; might as well do it in a way that makes the place feel less video-gamey.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pretty sure the elevator is accurately scaled to the size of the station, though. The speedruns go out of bounds and travel parallel to the elevator, and it looks about the right distance.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Too bad this game isn't getting any DLC, I would love to see where they'd go from where they leave it.

Word was that DLC was planned, but nobody has heard much. It's from Arkane so it might turn out like Dishonored/2 where the DLC just comes out a long time after release, or it might be that the game didn't sell well enough and Zenimax pushed the abort button.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

With Colantonio out of Arkane, I think we'll be lucky to get any more games like Dishonored or Prey from them at all, let alone DLC.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's... worrying.

Where've they gone?

A few weeks after we learned that Prey had not sold well, he announced that he was leaving to "spend more time with his family." Which is often but not always corporate speak for being forced out of a position.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not sure who would step up and make games like Prey and Dishonored anymore if Arkane were shut down or forced to change direction. Eidos has been all but killed off by Squeenix, we'll be lucky if it's only another decade before the next Deus Ex comes out. I'll wind up playing the System Shock remake and SS3, but honestly one is a remake and the other... Warren Spector hasn't made anything good for over a decade, so I'm not convinced. Arkane has the best level designers in the industry and not many genres let them show off their skill as well as ImmSimms; it'd be a shame to lose this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

the black husserl posted:

our best shot at a decent immersive sim is Consortium: The Tower.

I am getting serious Deus Ex: Invisible War vibes from this trailer, in a bad way. I guess it might be time to test what everyone always says, that DXIW isn't a bad game, it's just a bad Deus Ex game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Calling it the first 2/3rds is generous when you consider that the first two scenes in the game are pretty much cutscenes going "Hey so here's what happened in the novel tie-ins, as explained by a character who is familiar with your character but with whom you are not familiar." Sort of a middle 2/5ths, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

the black husserl posted:

I mean, has there ever been a game where you can yell at the dudes shooting at you and maybe make them stop? Or drop your weapon and surrender?

Payday 2 lets you do the first one full stop and sort of lets you do the latter. Not gonna pretend it's the same kind of game as we're talking about here or that it's an excellent game (especially post-DLC) but you can do that.