Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

turn off the TV posted:

They should have called it Psychoshock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm playing this game again over thanksgiving break and I was thinking of finally completing a no needles run and just avoiding typhon as much as possible. I can't remember but is there a thing that affects the ending if you minimize typhon kills? If so what is it?

Also, do typhon dying from the environment, like fire or toxic gas count as me killing them or affect that low typhon death count?

I don't think that Typhon kills have any effect on anything, only human kills / deaths

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

aniviron posted:

With Colantonio out of Arkane, I think we'll be lucky to get any more games like Dishonored or Prey from them at all, let alone DLC.

And after he left, Arkane straight up said they were done making immersive sims and they were moving towards regular action games.

Other than the System Shock remakes/sequel (I have zero hope Warren Spector can still make good games), our best shot at a decent immersive sim is Consortium: The Tower. I honestly don't think we'll see a "AAA" immersive sim ever again.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

the black husserl posted:

I honestly don't think we'll see a "AAA" immersive sim ever again.

From what I've read, Human Revolution, Dishonored 2, and Prey all sold under expectations, and I think you're right that AAA immersive sims are done for at least a little while, but I don't think this is the end. The genre is too influential. After one or two successful indie sims publishers will be right back at the trough.

ghost edit: and probably still loving things up like Bethesda or Squeenix and wondering why they don't sell.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

our best shot at a decent immersive sim is Consortium: The Tower.

I am getting serious Deus Ex: Invisible War vibes from this trailer, in a bad way. I guess it might be time to test what everyone always says, that DXIW isn't a bad game, it's just a bad Deus Ex game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

aniviron posted:

I am getting serious Deus Ex: Invisible War vibes from this trailer, in a bad way. I guess it might be time to test what everyone always says, that DXIW isn't a bad game, it's just a bad Deus Ex game.

They are wrong.

It is a bad game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

our best shot at a decent immersive sim is Consortium: The Tower. I honestly don't think we'll see a "AAA" immersive sim ever again.

Oh sweet Jesus think I'll just replay dishonored instead. That looks and sounds awful.

Maybe CDPR's cyberpunk game might be good. But I just hope Arkane keep making them. Nobody got the fluid badassery of Dishonored 2 right like they did.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 24, 2017

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

aniviron posted:

I played Invisible War first and liked it, but it's only alright at best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DX:MD is good though, as long as you can get past it being basically the first 2/3rds of a game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Calling it the first 2/3rds is generous when you consider that the first two scenes in the game are pretty much cutscenes going "Hey so here's what happened in the novel tie-ins, as explained by a character who is familiar with your character but with whom you are not familiar." Sort of a middle 2/5ths, really.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
On the talk of the ending did anyone else notice the brief flicker right as you get turned around?

I spent some time looking and during that brief flicker you can see all the operators that were talking to you, but Alex is missing. That alone has me asking more questions than anything else.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zushio posted:

On the talk of the ending did anyone else notice the brief flicker right as you get turned around?

I spent some time looking and during that brief flicker you can see all the operators that were talking to you, but Alex is missing. That alone has me asking more questions than anything else.

What flicker? I just re-watched the ending looking specifically for this and saw nothing. Are you sure it wasn't just a rendering glitch on your machine?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Oh sweet Jesus think I'll just replay dishonored instead. That looks and sounds awful.

Maybe CDPR's cyberpunk game might be good. But I just hope Arkane keep making them. Nobody got the fluid badassery of Dishonored 2 right like they did.

haven't been paying attention to the tower so I don't know how it'll shake out, but the first consortium was pretty good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

the story is okay. everything else is pretty bad.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it also had about 15% combat with everything else being dialogue, iirc? this trailer implies that the combat is where it's at.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

And after he left, Arkane straight up said they were done making immersive sims and they were moving towards regular action games.

I'm going to need a quote on that, because this sounds like bullshit.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

double nine posted:

it also had about 15% combat with everything else being dialogue, iirc? this trailer implies that the combat is where it's at.

yeah in consortium you could actually skip all combat entirely. which i was grateful for because it was god awful. if the new one focuses on that then..well....

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neurosis posted:

the story is okay. everything else is pretty bad.

The story is pretty bad too. Everyone is a stupid and hypocritical prick with no sense of self preservation. You can murder a man's lover and use her corpse to bludgeon children to death.

He will be briefly shocked, then resume asking if you want to work for him.

Invisible War is bad.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm going to need a quote on that, because this sounds like bullshit.

i think you're a real jackass for calling me a liar, but it's true. it came straight from the mouth of Harvey Smith. it's part of a much larger interview so the sentiment is broken up over several quotes, but at one point he says it directly: no more immersive sims because the audience doesn't like them. just "action games with brains":

quote:

“I think we’ll continue to adapt to the audience, because what people want drives the budgets,” Smith explains. “Audience taste and the market drives a lot of the feature-set and people have to adapt. That said, I think there are ways to bring the values of the immersive sim into the new world. So it will always exist, in my opinion, with the values being absorbed by different games.”

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Don't judge by the look and sound. The people behind the Consortium games have terrible eyes for art direction but the first Consortium was legit one of the most interesting immersive sims ever made. They've gotten closer to Spector's "One City Block" concept than anyone else ever has. The Tower looks cool - I mean, has there ever been a game where you can yell at the dudes shooting at you and maybe make them stop? Or drop your weapon and surrender?

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 24, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don't judge by the look and sound. The people behind the Consortium games have terrible eyes for art direction but the first Consortium was legit one of the most interesting immersive sims ever made. They've gotten closer to Spector's "One City Block" concept than anyone else ever has. The Tower looks cool - I mean, has there ever been a game where you can yell at the dudes shooting at you and maybe make them stop? Or drop your weapon and surrender?
Fair enough.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

What flicker? I just re-watched the ending looking specifically for this and saw nothing. Are you sure it wasn't just a rendering glitch on your machine?

It's literally like a one frame flicker. Some people can't even register it, but I'm not the only one talking about it. If you Google for "Prey ending cutscene flicker" there are a few topics about it. I couldn't even figure out what it was until I went step by step though the right timeframe on a youtube video.

I'm also in PS4, and as glitchy as the game can be this is more like the other little flickers over the course of the game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, has there ever been a game where you can yell at the dudes shooting at you and maybe make them stop? Or drop your weapon and surrender?

Payday 2 lets you do the first one full stop and sort of lets you do the latter. Not gonna pretend it's the same kind of game as we're talking about here or that it's an excellent game (especially post-DLC) but you can do that.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
What's up everyone. Good game. So uhhh what the hell is this?

It's not part of the skybox, it rotates in front of the skybox like all of the other stuff associated with the station but I can't make it closer to it without being killed by radiation, no matter how many pills or medkits I pop.

I remember reading a few logs that mention a "completely dark" space station and players have concluded that those were probably meant to be hints for a DLC we'll never get to see but so what the hell is this thing?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i think you're a real jackass for calling me a liar, but it's true. it came straight from the mouth of Harvey Smith. it's part of a much larger interview so the sentiment is broken up over several quotes, but at one point he says it directly: no more immersive sims because the audience doesn't like them. just "action games with brains":

That... doesn't seem to say what you think it says.

"I think we’ll continue to adapt to the audience, because what people want drives the budgets" is immediately followed by "That said, I think there are ways to bring the values of the immersive sim into the new world."

And then he goes on to talk about walking simulators and how those could adapt immersive sim values in new ways. It's not a concrete statement in any direction. Could mean that immersive sims proper are on their way out period, or it could just be figuring out what aspects of them people like and putting more focus on that in the future.

It's not firm enough to bet five bucks on, and yet you're treating it as absolute proof the sky is falling. Combine that with complaining when people ask you to come up with a source, and you're really not doing a good job of selling your narrative.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

One of Arkane's very recent job postings still mentioned immersive sims, so at the very least their next project has a chance of being one. It will also possibly have online going off their other one.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

regular mike posted:

What's up everyone. Good game. So uhhh what the hell is this?

It's not part of the skybox, it rotates in front of the skybox like all of the other stuff associated with the station but I can't make it closer to it without being killed by radiation, no matter how many pills or medkits I pop.

I remember reading a few logs that mention a "completely dark" space station and players have concluded that those were probably meant to be hints for a DLC we'll never get to see but so what the hell is this thing?

Could be the thing they had lying in wait as a hook for that dlc, say an equally dark satellite meant to monitor talos 1 and maintain cover for this mysterious space station. So then you could say it malfunctioning is why we got those audio logs at all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

could also be (ending spoilers) foreshadowing the apex, looking at the station

but yeah, dlc hook is more likely

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

regular mike posted:

I thought the "dark station" was the Argus Platform, the station that Dahl launches from when the BoD tells him to kill everyone on Talos.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

The Argus Station has a name though, and therefore is not the black site that is too secret to be anything but a vague mystery.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

use a trainer to get closer
maybe its the fangs of a giant space snake

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

The Argus Station has a name though, and therefore is not the black site that is too secret to be anything but a vague mystery.

The people who refer to it as the "dark station" are people who wouldn't necessary know about the Argus Platform, though? IIRC Alex is the only person who mentions Argus by name, while the dark station you read about in a report by one of the shuttle pilots who is basically told to fly straight and forget he saw anything.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Maybe then, but it seems odd to me that they'd be keeping Dahl close enough to Talos 1 that the player can spacewalk over there.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Point taken, and thanks for digging out the quote despite that, but it pretty much confirms that your summary is at best hyperbole. Yeah, after D2 and Prey failed to meet expectations, the writing's on the wall that Arkane might have to do more mercenary work like Dark Messiah for a while, until they can get more funding for games they'd like to do. But D1 was exactly what he says he wants to continue to do - a mainstream game that also works as an immersive sim.

It's just that between the widely reported technical problems at release, and the lackluster plot and story arc, D2 couldn't maintain that mainstream appeal.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Argus station is named after Argus Panoptis, a giant with a head full of eyes that guarded Io. Panoptis is worth keeping in mind because of the concept of a panopticon, a system in which a single watchmen can keep track of all of the prisoners in his ward from a single location, but the prisoners themselves do not know whether or not the warden is actually watching them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

Maybe then, but it seems odd to me that they'd be keeping Dahl close enough to Talos 1 that the player can spacewalk over there.

They aren't? To be clear, I'm talking about the dark station as described in game, not the thing regular mike found that no-one knows what it is. I'm not saying that thing is the dark station; I'm saying I think the Argus Platform and the dark station described by the shuttle pilot are the same thing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the moon surface has lights on it in the darkness, I always assumed that would be the argus platform.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I misunderstood you then, sorry. That's entirely possible then, that might be the connection.

The thing I think we can all agree on is we need more vistas in which to inject alien guts into our eyeballs within.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

Point taken, and thanks for digging out the quote despite that, but it pretty much confirms that your summary is at best hyperbole. Yeah, after D2 and Prey failed to meet expectations, the writing's on the wall that Arkane might have to do more mercenary work like Dark Messiah for a while, until they can get more funding for games they'd like to do. But D1 was exactly what he says he wants to continue to do - a mainstream game that also works as an immersive sim.

It's just that between the widely reported technical problems at release, and the lackluster plot and story arc, D2 couldn't maintain that mainstream appeal.

As my roomate said, D2 just felt like an expansion for Dishonored instead of a sequel. The gameplay didn’t change very much.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Emily's story made it a sequel for me, her power set is a great contrast to Corvo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I think some of the perception of D2 being just an expansion is having Corvo there as an equal option instead of like an extra, because for anyone who picked that, it was just more of the same, with a flat story to boot. Both the story and intended powerset were Emily.