Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh, neogaf is a inbred swill of idiots and lickspittles. i am not surprised they havent played older stuff. they are two busy pretending to write junior year critical english papers about various games and bitching about graphics to play anything old.

this. bioshock 1 is on of my all time favorite games and i don't mind that as much as you probably (i started with bioshock 1 on the 360 then moved on to SS2 which i also liked) but your right about the tention it goes away after medical. once you get all the various wrench tonics and realize that big daddies are berly a threat. but yeah, BUT prey keeps its tension really really well so far. i am amused at the gaffers bitching about the controls(apart from the lag) its loving dishonored 2 controls. pretty much. then again they hate that game for reasons, i thought it was ok. gameplay better then 1 but world not as good. basicaly the game is system shock mixed with dishonored. which is good.

Bioshock is so great because each and every inch of Rapture had love and care put into it and it is filled to the brim with little things and details that make it special. It's not just empty spaces and repeating patterns on large monolithic objects, it's almost overdesigned, but it works.

1960s space station is an idea on the level of 1950s underwater Randian paradise, so I have high hopes for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I just beat the game after probably taking way too long to finish, but I wanted to make sure I got everything done!

Funnily, I actually lost a couple hours of gaming because I accidentally broke sequence before I was done with all the side-quests and stuff. After Dahl showed up and I disabled my tracking bracelet, I went around to do some side quests and while I was in the Hardware Labs doing something, I stumbled upon his computer guy and killed it, before the stuff in Life Support, before ever encountering Dahl in person at all, even before setting foot in the Shuttle Bay. Not long after that he started talking to me via radio and said "gently caress it i'm gonna go kill your dumbass brother myself" and a 5 minute timer popped up, so I hauled rear end from my office to the Arboretum and got there literally as Dahl was standing outside Alex's door, ready to bust it open and fry him (actually the first time he had opened the door before I zapped him and I actually broke the game, since it wanted to start the scene where Alex talked to you on the deck but couldn't because all hell had broken open). After that the deck scene happened like kinda normal and then when the Apex Typhon broke out I got the "take Dahl to a MedBay" message from Igwe so I dragged Alex into his bunker, dragged Dahl to the medbay nearby, waited for a while before i realized I had to go do something else to trigger the next thing, so I went into the lobby and when I got in there I got a message from Igwe telling me that Dahl had died somehow.

At that point I realized I had hosed it up so bad, not to mention there were a bunch of quests still to do, so I found my last quicksave which was from about two hours of gameplay before and just made sure to do everything in order. But I was really impressed that the game had so many contingencies for you doing things out of order.

My criticisms: (note i am on Xbox One)

*There were a few bugs I noticed. The first couple of times I went from the Arboretum into the Crew Quarters, and then went back to the Arboretum, the game froze up and I had to turn the console off and back on. I eventually learned to quicksave right before so I didn't lose any progress, but it eventually stopped doing that.
*a few other small bugs. I encountered a Nightmare in the lobby which knocked me through a wall down the elevator shaft landing me right on top of the elevator, which I couldn't get out of. One quest in particular I attempted to finish but for whatever reason it didn't register, and when I went on with the game I got a "Mission Failed" message about 15 minutes later the one where the guy sends a distress signal for you to save him in the trauma center, but it turns out he's already dead. I saw his corpse and figured I'd get out of there since I had other poo poo to do, but I didn't kill all of the military operators so it didn't register as "finished", which I think single-handedly hosed up my "full empathy" run.
*The end boss is very menacing, but not actually terribly dangerous. The tentacles didn't seem like they ever did anything to me, even when I stood still to research them all the way in Psychotronics. At that point I was basically a superhero anyways, I hadn't really met a serious challenge in a while. Not after fully upgrading my shotgun and stun-gun, anyways.

Overall though, this is a really great game. It's exactly up my alley, with Bioshock being one of my favorite games and the -Shock genre in generally always being enjoyable. I really dug the theme of the game in general. It's very hard to do the "moral choice" thing in a game with real consequences that weigh on someone but don't either ruin the game or end up being pointless, and the way it's pulled off in this game (allowing for players to make their own choices and not split into "good/bad" with just two diametrically opposed endings) is probably one of the best instances I've played. Empathy isn't a word that exists in gaming world for the most part, and you wouldn't buy it without the world that the developers created. All of the people seem to have their own lives and identities, and the station itself is a very lived in place. There's a lot more to Talos I than would appear on the surface, and I feel like there will be little discoveries and realizations happening in the days and months to come. It also helps that it was a blast to play. I did a human-only run and never for a minute wished I was using Typhon abilities, except possibly to do something with the massive buildup of exotic material I had (since I had to continuously build ammo, I didn't do as many neuromods as I could have). The guns were all really fun to use, and especially towards the end when they were all massively overpowered. I generally pick shotguns when I have an option in shooters, so making it so useful really endeared the game to me even more.

I'll probably return the game to the Redbox tomorrow, but if I see it for sale during Black Friday or something for $20 I'll happily pick it up again to play a different way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

Bioshock is still one of my favorite games. It really shows its age (drat 13 year old game this year) but I just love the atmosphere and aesthetics.

i'm replaying it again right now and i am aware of all of the criticism and even agree with much of it but it's still one of my favorite games for the same reason. Rapture just looks so good in BioShock, it's probably one of the most iconic locations in gaming and it feels like every single area was handcrafted from ceiling to floor. That's what it shares most in common with Prey, because Prey's space station is maybe not quite as iconic because it isn't as unique but it's definitely got that handcrafted feel.

But i would also probably listen to someone tell me why Bioshock 2 is actually the best Bioshock, because purely from a gameplay perspective they're totally right. It fixes some of the biggest issues with Bioshock's action (no duel wielding plasmids and guns, the hacking grinding everything to a screeching halt), gives you a little more time with the Little Sisters, and while the characters aren't quite as memorable and the story is a little more "we've crafted these levels, how can we connect them together", the individual areas are still really well done and really fill out the world of Rapture, especially the slums area, since so much of the first Bioshock was about those exceptional people who would thrive in a Randian paradise and the rich worlds they live in, whereas aside from Atlas's worker rebellion, they don't really get into the concept of "you still need someone to clean the toilets in Galt's Gulch".

infinite is butt and i strongly dislike it, but i'm starting to feel a pull to play it again, because i put it down after beating it a week or two after release and have never touched it since, even when the DLC that I prebought came out. I hated it when i finished it and then i went online and I saw everyone talking more about the racial component of it, which I really didn't see during my play through because that definitely not a context I saw things in at the time, and it was probably one of the first real social criticisms of a video game I'd actually read and absorbed that wasn't just a Jack Thompsonian "Violence is bad because it makes people shoot up schools"

I know there's another Bioshock in development and I'd be perfectly fine going back to Rapture and even seeing them attempt to tell the same story again. You could incorporate some of the characters from 2 or even try to push them together. The two feel much more like a pair than the way Bioshock 2 was seen when it came out (expansion pack sequel on the verge of a new console generation), I think fully intertwining them would be the way to go. Honestly I've always wanted to see that Bioshock film adaptation that almost got made a while back but since it didn't happen I think some streaming service/premium cable outfit should just drop a shitton of money to make The Rise and Fall of Rapture, going from Andrew Ryan building the place to the advent of ADAM to Fontaine's "death" and the events of the first game.

of course, if we do get to go back to Rapture it had better look gorgeous. The models from BS1 and 2 are like a decade and a half old at this point, they skipped an entire console generation, seeing something that was made for the PS5/XBSX ought to blow my socks off.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bogart posted:

Is there going to be a third? I have doubt.

pop quiz! is this about :

a. Prey
b. Bioshock
c. System Shock
d. Dishonored
e. this planned Deus Ex trilogy

answer: its all of them! third games are cursed

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lord Lambeth posted:

I was under the impression that bioshock: infinite was pretty successful even if the story is a sequence of wet farts

I mean it killed Irrational and sent Ken Levine into a black hole from which he still has not reappeared from, I dunno how successful that is

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

pentyne posted:

It hit at the perfect storm of politics and games was intersecting in culture and suddenly a game where you get a choice whether or not to be an active participant in gross 1800s style racism was wildly inappropriate. The broke brain "maybe both sides are bad" story line also aged as well as milk when you had an oppressed minority class rising up and suddenly deciding they need to start butchering white children as well for reasons and you the player have to stop them.

it also went off the rails during the last third, the reason the political aspects of the story were so poorly executed (among other reasons, there's definitely a bunch) is because the story was never about those aspects, it was about their dumb parallel worlds bullshit. That whole game disappears up its own rear end.

and the DLC was basically Ken Levine's giant middle finger to the people who made Bioshock 2, it doesn't just ignore that game but seemingly goes out of its way to disagree with the game in some aspects.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'll play the next bioshock to see how far up it's own arse it goes this time. Infinite got fairly deep, imo.

honestly the "up it's own rear end" thing came mostly from Levine/Irrational, Bioshock 2 had almost the opposite problem, where it did a little too much retreading of the previous game and didn't have enough new stuff, and there are gonna be way more BS2 people than BS1/BSI people working on this new one, considering the new studio is basically living in the corpse of 2K Marin and has a bunch of 2K Australia people to boot (the people behind Minerva's Den).

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't think Infinite was cursed like DC murderverse suggested. Especially when all other examples he gave don't have third games or are struggling to make them(system shock 3!)
Ken Levine is still around and making things, Infinite just burned him the hell out

I dunno, "burned out and hasn't even announced a project in the 7 years since Infinite's release" sound pretty cursed to me...

itry posted:

My biggest problem with Infinite was the boring arenas where enemies jump out of every corner and all the other NPC's disappear. The weak take on politics didn't help.

What's this about another Bioshock being in development? I hope it's doing better than System Shock 3.

Edit:
Yeah, early game demos were completely different to the final product, iirc.

yuuup. this video's a real good overview of what changed (that 2010 demo in particular is very different from the final product)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJV5ReOSjF0

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

huh, I don't think I knew that Arkane assisted on Bioshock 2. Honestly the level design being their work kinda makes sense, the levels feel more dense and vertical in 2 than in 1.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I started up a new game of Prey because I got it for my Playstation (I originally got it for the Bone) and oh man I'd forgotten how good this game is. Playing through it a second time with knowledge of what is going to happen allows you to really break the game in ways that a first timer wouldn't think to do. I'm doing a full human run and really once you get the fully upgraded shotgun the tone shifts from "Creeps and terror because everything is gonna kill you" to "some occasional spooks when a mimic jumps out at you or when the Nightmare shows up where you don't want him" and I don't remember having all of the physical upgrades as well as the super boosted jetpack so now I'm running around like the fuckin' Doomguy.

I don't know if I'll be up for a second run right away (especially since other games are coming out at the end of this month) but I really want to finally do an "Alien powers only murder run". The biggest thing against that is that it takes a minute to get to the point where you can get alien powers since you can't do so without the 'scope, so I've always just decided I don't want to play the first few hours w/o neuromods but I think now is the time

edit: ah I also forgot what a bummer the ending is. Not the It Was All A Dream but the mechanics of it. The game doesn’t warn you when you’re reaching the point of no return, which does kinda come out of nowhere (you can tell it’s wrapping up but there’s no indication that going to talk to Alex is gonna trigger Apex-alypse and I still had poo poo to do that completely went out the window, and from there game is only about another half-hour and is pretty much just running and waiting at loading screens. I went and finished with my ending (which also seems a little weird because you can end the game by getting on the shuttle and leaving while the giant thing is bearing down or going to nullwave everything to death when it would make a billion times more sense to just link them and have you head to the shuttle after pressing that particular button.) and it honestly felt a little anti-climactic. Like I suppose I’m glad it didn’t pull a bioshock and have you fight a roiled out Alex for control of Talos but this ending just ends with you frying your operator and calling it a day. At least when you blow the whole thing to smithereens there’s a big period.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If you’re looking for console stuff and Sci-fi you could do a whole lot worse on the PS3 than the Ratchet and Clank Future trilogy. The gameplay is refined and all the native PS3 games go big into the classic sci-fi tropes, lots of space battles and time shenanigans and ancient races and hover bikes.

edit: but don’t bother with any of the side games. Tools of Destruction is :10bux: pretty much everywhere and if you like that pick up Quest for Booty, Crack in Time and Into the Nexus. No need to play FFA or All 4 One or that dumb crossover game or the PSP games

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 17, 2021