Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Haruhater posted:

PROTIP: if you see ANYBODY complaining about input lag, you know they are a Call of Duty playing mongoloid. Prey is a HORROR game: there would be no tention to it if you could snap auto aim at the mimics instantly. The controls are actually perfect: gimped in just the right way so that you can move around just fine but combat is tiring, thrilling and exhillarating.

Oooooooooooooooor... They're playing on PS4, which Bethesda Support has confirmed has control issues, that they promise will be fixed in the final game (We'll see about that).

Xbox One demo is fine, no input lag, so play that if you got the choice.

(The mimic enemies are still annoying to fight with a controller - their rapid movements are much more suited for quick, precise control like I hope KB+Mouse will provide)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

HenryEx posted:

Is that supposed to be Dishonored 2? Because i haven't encountered any input lag in 40 hours of playing.

Which platform? I think the Dishonored 2 input lag is only on consoles.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
They don't own the name Dead Space, though. They own the name Prey.

But this game would work just as well with a "new IP" name - they've completely dropped the ball on marketing this game, and the name recognition means gently caress all for 99% of gamers.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, separate regional release times seem to be a thing with Prey.
So from what I can tell, New Zealand will get their Steam copies unlocked in about 24 hours. So impatient people could VPN it in theory.

Time to find out if the VPN in the latest Humble Bundle supports New Zealand!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Are they playing with a gamepad on PC?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Did you restart Steam after connecting to the VPN?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Game is great on PC! Been playing for like 13 hours, mostly following the main quest path, and is still only in the crew quarters. Being OCD about picking up everything means this will be a loong game. (At least I'm not insane enough to recycle-grenade everything that can't go in my inventory...) I'm also trying to do a no alien powers run, hoping that changes something related to the plot.

Also gently caress you Arkane for that jump scare in the looking glass room in the old space station director office - scared the poo poo out of me

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Basic Chunnel posted:

Looking to confirm something - when you move between areas, do environments change? I don't mean in the sense of new mimics showing up, I mean things like corpses dropping where they weren't before. I could have sworn I cleaned out the men's bathroom in the Talos Lobby but then when I came back around after visiting my office, it was walled off with GLOO and a gloogun-wielding dead man was holed up inside. I just cleaned out Fabrication (vertical exploration in this game is surprisingly primo) and there's a new dead woman on the stairs to the Shuttle Bay, I know I would've seen and looted her if she were there before.

Yup, things seem to change a little bit as you progress through the game. Noticed that bathroom thing in the Demo too, so it's not limited to area changes.

Knifegrab posted:

OK, just Broke out of my fake room and I came across the safe. If I am meticulous enough can I find the code to it? Or is it just something I will come across later?

You'll come across it later. But if you just want to open it now, the code is 5150

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone finished the game yet who could answer a simple yes or no question - if you never install any alien neuromods, does that lead to plot changes later on?

Also, if someone wants some well hidden early neuromods in the lobby: Security station, the desk with the RPG character sheet, briefcase wedged between the left side of the desk and wall

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My guess it's something like not installing any neuromods, not even regular ones. Then again, that's one of the first things people consider when doing a special run, and it's even in Dishonored 2, so not sure why they think it would take weeks/months.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Flubby posted:

Is there a way to rotate objects you've picked up? Maybe it's a tinge of ocd, maybe I've played too much Viscera Cleanup, but I don't like leaving chairs on their back.

Just throw a recycling grenade at them. Can't OCD about objects that aren't there anymore!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Walrus posted:

Always Wrench Looking Glass

I guess you should expand this to Always Wrench Everything, because I've discovered a few spots that were Looking Glasses when I didn't expect them to be.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My encounters with the nightmare so far was when I first went to the bridge and noped the gently caress outta there when I saw him - he was just chilling there when I loaded in though and hadn't noticed me. The second encounter was when I went to the crew quarters and he was chilling out there too, decided he needed to die, so I got killed like 20 times before I finally managed to down him.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so wait, you can kill the guy on the radio giving you objectives and try to finish the game that way?

that's fantastic

(early game spoilers) The "guy" on the radio is one of those trapezoid robots with your personality embedded. It shows up after you've watched the second half of the video in your office, and I assume you can (try to) kill it then. Though my intuitive guess is that it will just generate a new robot from the constructor so you can't actually "kill" it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just fixed the elevator and went back down to the lobby. Oh so you hate fighting nightmares? How about a nightmare, two telepaths, one weaver and one named Typhon at once?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 7, 2017

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think the silent pistol is the best so far. Ammo is relatively cheap to manufacture and you get the blueprints for it in like in a dozen different places (While I've yet to find a single Q-beam ammo blueprint), gets boosted by the "security" neuromod, and doesn't have the insane damage dropoff that the shotgun has. At medium range, it feels like two or three pistol shots do more damage than a single shotgun blast.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rookersh posted:

I can't tell if it's just Avellone's work and he really is a one tricky pony writer, or if they were trying to appeal to our nostalgia, but I did get a kick out of January/December, and the fact Morgan is basically the Nameless One part deux. Every wake up changed your personality, so you had nice Morgan, lovely Morgan, evil Morgan, conquest Morgan, etc. All of which left you guides on what they wanted YOU to do.

Also uh, January's plan seems a bit flawed, even as early on as I am. ( Speculating just as I hit the Arboretum, so no spoilers past that ) I've found two separate texts telling me about a Military Base not connected to Talos One that also has Typhon Organisms in it ( and might have also fallen ). Also they weren't created here, they came from space, so theoretically they can reach Earth anyway and having more research on them would be good. Also since it seems to have been a prerecordered message, it seems like that Morgan was assuming I'd be slamming Typhon mods and basically go back to Earth as a Typhon myself, while I'm currently going zero mods total so I'm basically pure human still.

Unless there was something to Morgan's plan of inserting human memories/thought patterns into a Typhon. :stare:

Uh what, where did you find those text messages? I never remember reading anything like that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I'm in the cargo bay area - where is the turret blueprint?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I wonder if the Looking Glass tech is partially based on Typhon tech, the inventor seems to go more and more insane due to the screens, and the phantoms ask about what you see in the glass.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Tei posted:

I found december dead on my game. No idea when or how it died :(

A better men than myself would start the game from the beginning, optimizing it to save more people.

January killed him.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Vib Rib posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4unIrbGGo&t=825s
This is the one that immediately came to mind.

Oh god. I did a lot of the things he did in this video.

Does that mean DSP is...me?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is there any way to reduce/eliminate the corruption mechanic? I really don't like playing with a timer hanging over my head all the time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bogart posted:

Pink hourglasses reduce corruption. The timer's pretty generous anyway.

Pink hourglasses seem very rare, and also it's not generous enough with my "pick up anything that's not nailed down" playing style.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hipster Occultist posted:

Rare to find, but they can be crafted for two mineral and two synthetic ingame, or bought for 1500 sim points once you find the bluebrint

Ah cool, didn't know it had a blueprint. Need to find that now...

Also the tentacle nests seem to be immune to guns? How do you kill them with a non-PSI character?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It is a bit odd that they give you a neuromod blueprint in this mode. It's really tempting to just use all the credits on neuromods to quickly "level up" your characters.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
How do you deal with areas filled with radiation?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ravenfood posted:

Thinking about it, there are two characters who presumably can get enough Typhon powers to be rejected by the Typhon gates, the Volunteer and the Director. Thing is, only one of them has a foolproof way through them, and then only if he takes the Burrow ability. Is it possible to just get yourself trapped on the wrong side of a Typhon gate?

You can use the stun gun on the gate ring around a force field to disable it, so just put one in your loadout for your over-Typhoned characters.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Triarii posted:

You can also reverse engineer it with the engineer character.

Aren’t those single use blueprints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Hourglasses also seem to work a bit weird. They seem to always reduce corruption to 30% if you're above a certain threshold, so the optimal strategy is to wait until the very last second (when your display goes all weird) before using them to get max effect.