Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I only got 20 minutes in to the PS4 demo before low-FOV nausea put a stop to that. What little I did play seemed like classic Arkane. Hopefully the PC version doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Watching the PC streams it looks like Arkane has kept up the same great UI work they had in DH2.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I agree the UI has issues on console, but it looks really snappy on PC. I love that they have hot keys that make sense (F to loot, G to eat) and how the mouse operates as a cursor on computer terminals.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Why why why is the FOV slider always patched in later? I still don't understand how it is often missed at launch.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
DH2 had audio mixing issues, too. Never got fixed, either.

I have $55 in steam credit just begging to be used for this game...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Haha one of the quests references "Looking Glass" servers.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

I think the input lag issues were specific to PS4, I didn't have any problems on Xbone. The UI is clearly designed for PC though and the experience is not great on console. Definitely a PC game.

And I know this is going to sound super lovely, but for once I'm glad this is the case.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played the console demo and I'm playing with kb+m on PC, so I dunno about the differences.
Haven't had any problems with the controls though. Other than I wish you could bind more than one button per action and that it was possible to rebind the ability wheel button.

What is the ability wheel bound to? Please don't say middle mouse...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Middle Mouse

Rat farts. I prefer rebinding to TAB.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Gonna buy this motherfucker tonight.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is there a recommended difficulty? I'd consider myself pretty OK at shooters, and don't mind dying a couple times. I watched Draqu play on Nightmare and it didn't look that rough as long as one didn't treat it as a twitch shooter.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Pierson posted:

Somebody else here recommended to play on Hard to that everything was fairly threatening but not unfairly so and they were right, even mimics feel like they can shred me if I fuckup.

Any cheevos tied to difficulty levels?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cool. If the difficulty is anything like Dishonored 2 I found one tick down from max was pretty fair. Is Hard one down from Nightmare?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm going to approach skills in this game just like DX and Dishonored - keep a point or two in the bank and buy skills when presented with a challenge that they would benefit.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Does the pre-order Shotgun have any special properties that make it better than the normal ones?

I just bought the game today and Steam gave me the pre-order bonus for some reason...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Rookersh posted:

It's your moms old skeet shooting gun!

( no otherwise, it's just a family gun which makes me like it. )

Sweet, I'll leave it alone then. I always hate using preorder weapons.

I just started, obviously. Playing on Hard. I tried to do a couple of the optional objectives, like go to the trauma center, and got absolutely SMOKED. I guess I should focus on the main narrative for a bit, eh?

I'm sitting on a pile of neuromods as well, only put 1 point in Leverage. Any "must-haves" I should be leveling? Hacking?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The ones that make medikits more effective are very important for early survivability. I think they heal like 30 points by default which is nothing on hard.

Thanks, done.

Is Necropsy worth spending points on in the early game?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Necropsy is not worth it because Exotic materials are fairly common

So it just lets you loot those tumors, which are just additional sources of Exotic material?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks.

One last stupid question - I presume the "named" typhons are humans, and would count against this game's Pacifist achievement?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How much more difficult is it to beat the game if you kill January?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I killed January, saw it pop an achievement, and then reloaded the save and quit for the night. I want to avoid save-scumming on my first playthrough, but if this is something that is intended to be done on subsequent playthroughs then so be it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Wow, this game will require at minimum three playthroughs if you are achievement hunting. One run for human powers only, one run for typhon only, and finally no powers at all from either branch. Four runs is more realistic as the first playthrough will be a mish-mash of skill points.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just got to the point of unlocking typhon mods. I guess these are like psi skills from SS2?

I'm considering just ignoring them on this run and sticking to human only for the achievements, and do typhon next playthrough. Dumb idea?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
For those of us on PC, what FOV are you using? In most games the FOV slider also scales the elements of your character model, like weapons and some elements of the UI. Not so much here, hopefully Arkane fixes that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Sounds like you should buy a copy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go hog wild on crafting neuromods if I can afford them?

Secondly, I would like to get the collection cheevos on my human run. Do I need to max out hacking and/or repair for that?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I really hope they patch in a rebind for the quick menu wheel. I prefer how I have it in Dishonored (TAB). It's also odd that it's a toggle in Prey while it had to be held down for Dishonored.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I found out about 4 hours after doing the Shuttle Bay quest help the two humans escape. I've read that if you hadn't tagged them previously through the security stations, you'll no longer be able to do that. Welp, there goes my cheevo.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I presume that letting the Impostor chef kill himself with the recycler does not void the pacifist achievement?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Just beat my first run in 29 hours doing human only nice guy. Got all the collectible achievements as well, so subsequent typhon and flesh & steel runs should go by pretty quickly after I take a break.

Ending chat The ending twist was pretty well done. It's telegraphed, but not heavily so. If you pay attention it's not like it comes out of the blue or anything.

I really hope this sells well enough to get some DLC or a sequel. Anyone know how the numbers look compared to Dishonored 2?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I'm going to 100% Prey. The only other game I've bothered that with is actually Dishonored 2. Need to go back to 1 and 100% that one too some time. Here's hoping for a 3.

:hfive:

Me, too buddy. I don't think I'll ever 100% DH1 simply because of the awful Dunwall trials DLC, though.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

The description lies to you.
The achievement is actually for reading 90% of all emails.

I am a huge fan of how Arkane implemented the "collect everything" achievements for this reason. If you are a pretty through explorer you'll get these without making a grind out of it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Definitely.
I got the cheevo on my first run.

Same! Apparently I got all the collection cheevos on my first run without even trying. Pretty nice, so now my next run can be my ultra-rear end in a top hat typhon fantasy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Anyone want to spoiler the hidden achievements? I've got 7 I haven't picked up.

You can see expose hidden steam achievements by finding the global achievement stats for games.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zereth posted:

Most of them for this game don't have the requirements listed, though.

Good point. I had to google those.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the flipside for PC, the most recent patch seems to have actually fixed the FPS absolutely making GBS threads the bed the moment you entered the Power Plant.

Is that the beta patch 1.03?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It went live a couple of days ago.

Oh thanks, nice. I opted out of the beta and nothing downloaded so I presume I'm all up to date. I played the reactor section pre-patch so it will be nice to experience this on my next run.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Unormal posted:

(P.S. also anyone who liked this game should play Soma immediately)

Absolutely agreed.

I had bought SOMA on sale a couple weekends before Prey launched, and made a promise to myself to beat it before I could buy Prey. I spent a better part of the day playing the back 2/3rds of SOMA and it was engrossing; it first started as a "I just need to get through this so I can buy Prey" and ended with "poo poo, that was amazing. I need a break for a day or two and let this all sink in".

I didn't start on Prey for another couple of days.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I was a post-modem video on DS3 that made it seem like the devs were going for the second protag to be a head space Isaac, to further emphasize he was going nuts from his experiences.

Of course, EA gonna EA and axed that as they thought it was too complicated, and players got a ham-fisted second protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I assume you are talking about a console copy, in that case yes it will play fine. As you said, no you won't be able to get any future DLC.