Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

aniviron posted:

Someone mentions that external comms are down, don't remember if it's an audio log or what, but there's been no way to radio off the station since the start of the incident. What puzzled me more was how the board knew to send Dahl even though comms were down.

I thought they sent Dahl purely because they hadn't heard anything from Talos and assumed the worst. They didn't necessarily know what was happening but the were like "okay something has gone wrong, Dahl you go and clean up whatever you find."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

aniviron posted:

There are definitely places shown in the game that the Typhon are alive and conscious in some form on a level roughly equivalent to humanity- the best example is when the player Typhon has the visions that break through the simulation ("They're lying to you" etc) which wouldn't be happening if the Typhon were just mindless devourers like lions or what have you.

Palpek posted:

Those visions do seem like a sign of consciousness though, I agree.

I disagree. The visions the PC experiences are due to Morgan Yu's connectomes being implanted into it. The goal was to make the PC more "empathic", and whether or not that's successful depends on the player's actions and choices in the game. But I'd argue that at the very least Morgan's connectomes made the Typhon conscious. Perhaps this was the idea in the first place...you can't have empathy without consciousness. Empathy requires a theory of mind.

The regular Typhon probably aren't actually conscious or sapient, so far as we can tell from what's depicted in the game. As others mention, the Phantom mutterings are just leftover "echoes" from their host. The only reason the PC is different is because they had human neural material shoved into them.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Maybe they're capable of complicated behaviour without being conscious at all.

Exactly. I was thinking of the novel Blindsight by Peter Watts; basically, that sentience and sapience are different things that don't necessarily have to occur together. The Typhon potentially sabotaging stuff doesn't automatically mean they're conscious or self-aware. Maybe it's possible that all the Typhon we see in the game are being guided/controlled by the Alpha Typhon, hive-mind style or like they're it's individual "limbs".