Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bogart posted:

big rear end stationary deplorable turrets exist

Fuckin stationary turrets and their stubborn refusal to move, I deplore them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Just finished my first playthrough. Game was awesome and a great successor to System Shock, but I did have a few criticisms. The hacking minigame is really tedious and so easy it might as well be auto-succeed and the game would be better for it. The nightmare mechanic is really dumb. Unless you really need more exotic materials, killing it is a waste of resources, so you're better off just hiding for two and a half minutes until it just despawns. Which is boring. Also found that tyhpon abilities made the late game a bit too easy, which killed the tension. The last few missions I was just running around disabling everything with Machine Mind and whatever the psychic-disabling one is called and blowing them away with the Q-Beam and nothing could touch me. My next playthrough I'll definitely try it with no psionics, should be a lot more challenging. Weapon variety was a bit limited too, at least one more conventional and one more experimental weapon would have been nice.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kurzon posted:

I have to disagree with most of this.

The hacking minigame is one of the least tedious minigames I have encountered in a game. In fact it's even a little fun. I wouldn't mind if Arkane added a suit chipset that bypassed the minigame and let you auto-hack things, but as it is I don't mind the minigame.

The Nightmare might be a pain on your first playthrough, but on my subsequent playthroughs I had mastered the mechanics so well that by the time the Nightmare showed up I could deal with it easily enough. It's a great source of exotic material, which is the hardest material to find and you can make plenty of neuromods as long as the Nightmares keep coming.

Yes, by the end of the game you are a nigh-unstoppable badass, and that's how it should be. I hate games with character leveling that cancel out your gains by scaling the enemies to your level. I want that sensation of power, to be the guy who sweeps aside all who stand in his way. I don't want to fight level-100 murlocs that look and sound just like the level-5 ones I cut my teeth on. Don't bother using character progression if you just plan to turn your game into a treadmill.

I think they threw in few weapons so that there would be little overlap in functionality. I remember in System Shock 2 that the assault rifle was really just a slightly more powerful pistol (there was too little ammo to use it on full auto anyway). The pistol in Prey can fire at a high rate and with upgrades it does pack a good punch at range, so a submachine gun or assault rifle would feel a bit redundant. Other standard FPS weapons like rocket launchers might feel redundant next to your psi powers.

There's only like half a dozen different "boards" for the hacking minigame though, even if for some reason you find moving a circle into another circle and then pressing a button fun, it very quickly gets extremely repetitive. How does trivially easy plus repetitive not equal tedious?

I didn't find the Nightmare challenging, I killed it the first time I met it. My point is that there's no real incentive to do so and it's a waste of resources, so you're encouraged to find somewhere safe and go for a piss instead of actually playing the game. I found metal and synthetics to be a much bigger issue than exotic material, in fact I never ran out despite waiting for half the Nightmares to despawn.

There are plenty of game where I can feel like an unstoppable badass though, I like these ones for the sense of vulnerability and tension they give. I don't know why you're talking about MMO grinding, that has nothing to do with anything. The Thief games didn't level up the bad guys but never lost their sense of vulnerability and danger. Admittedly Thief didn't have character progression, but to me it should be more about giving you more options rather than making you a god. I don't mind some power creep for the player, but I think it can go a bit far in Prey. Games should get harder towards to end, not easier. I found Prey most difficult right at the start, much like Dishonored. Arkane could have easily ramped the difficulty up towards the end by adding bigger groups of Typhon, no need for level 100 mimics or whatever you're worried about.

Maybe a rocket launcher could be an alternative to psi powers? The game is all about choice after all, and the weapon selection is a bit lacking in that area. I never said they had to be standard FPS weapons anyway. The gloo gun is a great example of creativity, more interesting and unique weapons would help make the game even better.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 30, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

One thing I didn't get: all neuromods are made with the same amount of exotic (ie Typhon) material right? So why is it only the psychic abilities that give you Typhon DNA and make turrets/the nightmare try to kill you?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I think its safe to say that going around trying to collect everything in a room to throw a recycler charge at is not worth it. You get maybe enough to fabricate the recycler you just used. There also seems to be a limit on how much a single recycler charge can process. I was messing around in the recylcer charge testing room and just throwing every small object I could in there and almost filled it to the brim. And when I release the charge not everything got processed. And I set it up so the charge would fall relatively in the center of the chamber to get the full radius of the charge.

I think maybe items can block other items from getting recycled. Sometimes I'd pile a bunch of stuff up and it'd all get sucked in, other times half of it would still be there, especially if I'd included larger items like furniture

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I know it's kind of a weird thing to say, given everything that goes on in the game but, Talos I is kind of the first video game space station/space craft that I'd... actually kind of want to live on. I've just reached the section with the crew quarters and so on, and as I'm going through the cabins, and the recreation center, and the fitness area, my main thought was "Man, this honestly looks like kind of a great place to live/work."

If you want to sleep in a tiny single bunk, never go for a (normal) walk outside, and only ever see the same couple of hundred people max, sure

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Where do you find the fake chef after he locks you in anyway? I thought I was gonna encounter him again as a part of the main quest what with all his monologues tying in with it but never found him before I finished the game. It was kinda funny during the end sequence when one of the operators praised me for letting him live. I was totally gonna kill him but he gave me the slip

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bogart posted:

He turns into a Poltergeist.

That's cool. Do any of the other characters turn into anything special?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Speedball posted:

Anybody here ever play the original Thief games? Lockpicks required a time commitment, plus you'd have to alternate between picks as you went just to keep it from being a "hold down button to proceed" thing.

Yeah but instead it was "alternate between two buttons to proceed". Thief 3 had the best lockpicking if you edited the ini to remove the visual UI component that made it too easy. Then you had to kind of probe around with the mouse and listen for clicks and it actually kind of felt like how I'd imagine picking a lock to feel.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Do games ever become sleeper hits or is that only a tv/movie thing

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

myDad posted:

This game looks tight, didn't realize it was made by Arkane until today so I ordered a copy.

The first one a few years ago left a bad taste in my mouth, but those devs are top-notch!

This has nothing to do with the first Prey

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

aniviron posted:

I think you will find that it is the older brother that is always the jerk, thank you very much. :colbert:

As an older brother myself this is pretty much true

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Not done with the game yet, but I do have to say that the Nightmare's implementation has been one of the more disappointing aspects of the game. The concept of a super-alien created specifically to hunt you is ace, but its execution is lackluster - it's not a particularly challenging combatant, and in my experience levels with a Nightmare typically spawn it ten feet from the level entrance so there's no opportunity to evade it, which might have been game-breaking if it wasn't so easy to kill. As-is the Nightmare goes down pretty quickly in a single Combat Focus, so it's just too bad missing out on the intended cat-and-mouse dynamic.

My other beef is the reallllly slippery jump controls on the many, many rounded surfaces you are expected to climb on, including gloo ledges. For a game with a ton of platforming, it's annoyingly easy to slide off of a platform because you were a few pixels too far to one side, and I'm speaking as someone who used to practice jump maps back in the TF2 glory days.

:agreed:

Also even if you don't take Combat Focus, or want to save ammo, or don't want to fight the Nightmare for any other reason, it's also really trivial to hide from (unless it spawns right in front of the entrance)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 12, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I grabbed it pretty much to satisfy my ocd

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

There's, like, two e-mails in the entire game that require hacking to access. And I'm pretty sure that's because that one terminal is bugged. There's like... 4 containers maybe in the entire game you need hacking to access? All of which contain a pretty minuscule amount of loot and it certainly doesn't pay for taking the skill at all.

Like I said, hacking is the "bypass exploration" skill - if you don't like exploring or you're bad at it, it's a good pick, but it's way, way more satisfying to go without it and find alternate means to access stuff.

I think of it more as an "avoid backtracking" skill. I enjoy exploring, but I don't enjoy going back to find that one door or one safe I just just found the code for

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

But psi hypos are loving everywhere

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

You should be picking up everything you find so you can recycle it. It adds up yo a surprising amount of mats of various types by the end of the game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think he's talking about the one in the actual simulation right at the start. IIRC it won't let you leave your room until you pop it. It doesn't count though, because there's nothing in it, you just stab yourself in the eye for no reason

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

double nine posted:

human only is arguably the most op build in the game.

What? How is human only more op than the best human skills plus the best typhon skills eg Psychoshock? It's not like neuromods are so limited you're restrained to one or the other

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

The flimsy turrets are so useless mid/lategame that you can just ignore the penalty.

You can also hack them

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

double nine posted:

he's trying to get you killed, of course. "don't mind the flickering lights, thats not a typhon, just the station's electrics on the fritz."

it's not his fault that you're a walking typhon murdergod.

Doesn't seem like a great plan considering that if you already killed the telepath in the dining hall to talk to him in the first place, you can probably handle a phantom or two to get to his room

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

IMJack posted:

When military operators start carving your suit up like a drat turkey? And the only effective counter to them is turning them against each other? Every single one.

Don't bother trying to make them fight each other. Use Machine Mind to stop them attacking you, then blow them up with the q-beam

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

scuz posted:

a clear porpoise would have helped.

Here you go

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Vakal posted:

And that Alex exists and had a sibling named Morgan that is presumably dead.

Why is Morgan "presumably dead"? IIRC they don't say anything about Morgan's condition or whereabouts at all. Maybe Morgan's off doing something important?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 15, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

hampig posted:

Yeah i mean the one you prefer is going to come down to preference

You don't say? :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

The same stuff it ployed the first time, duh.

The reployer doesn't do the original ployment, that's the ployer's job

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Q-Beam is great but it does have the problem that you have to expose yourself to whatever you're firing at for the whole duration of the beam. With the shotgun you can jump out from cover, fire, and duck back.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It makes sense that Prey feels more open than Dishonored, as Prey is modelled on the System Shock series, which had similar open world design, while Dishonored is modelled on the Thief series, which had discreet levels. Personally I love both, but if the open world thing is more your jam then yeah you'll prefer Prey.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Stungun. Even partly upgraded stungun is great against them.

Also EMP grenades or machine mind. You should have a few more tricks up your sleeve than just "good with a shotgun" by the time you're running into military operators

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Why would you give a gun sentience, let alone empathy? What would it even use them for? Seems like a pretty terrible idea to me

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Welcome to Talos One.

Really, though, I assume the intention was to suppress the empathy with the aforementioned inhibitor for the final product, and they just hadn't put it in yet.

Even without the empathy though, what's the point? What purpose does the sentience serve? Also giving an inanimate object sentience is some incredibly cruel Black Mirror poo poo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

48 Hour Boner posted:

What do you see in the glass?

Bad posts

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

redreader posted:

Wait a minute: Every time you go into a different area the enemies repopulate. It's not even 'go into a new area'. If you go back and forth between the first two areas forever you'll run out of stuff eventually. (Right? ?? )

You seem to be contradicting yourself here, but the respawns are not unlimited. I believe they're triggered at various points of progression through the main quest line. Once you clear an area it will stay clear until you advance the story to a certain point.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It's not very far into psychotronics, and getting the scope means you'll be more prepared for everywhere else

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Of course my hard drive dies on the day the Prey DLC launches :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The system is either boring like in Prey or unbalanced as in Dishonored (There's the option to choke out guards faster and then there's 30 other abilities not worth mentioning.)

It's pretty unblanced in Prey too imo. Nothing quite as egregious as faster choke in Dishonoured, but it's still like "hmm, physical resistance or improved flashlight battery?"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Serephina posted:

Like, you're all so wrong I felt the need to push my glasses up and post on the internet about it.

The hardcore/survival stuff is 100% worth it on your first playthrough, they proc very rarely and only in situations where You Done hosed Up, and getting a minor debuff instead of just lost hp is very cool. I actually tried running around with a broken leg for a while instead of instantly healing it with the consumable, it was pretty funny watching Morgan bellow every time I reflexively hit shift to run.

Here’s the thing though, you had to ignore the consumable in your inventory in order for the debuff to actually affect your game. They’re fairly common relative to how often you get the debuffs, and medbots aren’t exactly scarce even if you don’t know where they are.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

To me that just makes it pointless bloat and more poo poo you have clogging up your inventory

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Serephina posted:

You're being a huge grump about it and trying to argue it from both sides.

I was just discussing how I felt about it, didn't mean to come off grumpy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Turrets are pretty effective in numbers actually