Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Super Mario 64's camera is janky and awkward to control and leads to occasional deaths to even the best of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Why aren't all the pieces in Tetris the long ones? That'd make professional play so much more viable.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Link to the Past's magic system feels tacked on and entirely unnecessary.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kirios posted:

Super Mario 64's camera is janky and awkward to control and leads to occasional deaths to even the best of players.

That's a big part of why I liked Galaxy better, less jank than the old one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shadow hearts 2 is good but you don't see joachim getting his rear end hosed by a bunch of indian guys, 7/10

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

everything about deus ex is clunky as hell and the ending is identical to mass effect 3

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Re: Baldur's Gate II

Trying to control a pausible real-time isometric game with 6 characters and an arcane, unknowable rules system is bullshit.
You ever try to fight a wizard in that game? I swear there are 6 or 7 extremely specialized wizard spells you have to use to dispel their defenses or you're hosed. I don't even know if what I'm doing is working. I just throw pierces and ruby rays of reversals until my fighters can gibletize the drat thing.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Ocarina is unironically junk

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
breath of the wild is massive empty space dotted with forgettable mini events

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
magus' most prominent feature in his official character art is his codpiece

poo poo wait we're supposed to talk about bad things nm

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
ff6's programming was a trashfire

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

JakeP posted:

Ocarina is unironically junk

agree, mm was deffo better

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Doom needed a jump button.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Super Mario Bros 3 only gives you the boot for one level.

Super Mario World's cape controls are garbage.

FF7 has about 4 losable fights in the entire game and the final boss isn't one of them.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 28, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Why does Garrett wear tap shoes when he knows he will be trying to sneak across tile floor?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
that loving second disc of xenogears, man

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Earthbound takes too long to get going.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Neither the ball nor the paddles in Pong move fast enough for the game to be exciting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Pac-Man lore doesn't make any sense once you start to really think about it. It lacks the depth of the Assassin's Creed series, with its interconnected worlds and long-running plot that carries from game to game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Sid meier's alpha centauri is a piece of poo poo that leans heavily on amateurish sci-fi writing and is really badly balanced.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The "Mario" series is too linear, even in its Assassin's Creed-like open worlds, such as 64 and Galaxy.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Bioshock had one gimmick good enough to spawn a series and failed to ever make the same impact again

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
chrono trigger's world is too tight and restrictive particularly within any one era. what do you mean, there's a single country and castle on the entire planet at any one time???

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Metal Gear Solid series makes enemies way too powerful, and the player has too little health. This means it's almost impossible to go toe-to-toe with most of the foes, so the only viable approach is a stealth approach. Compare this to something like Assassin's Creed, in which the player has multiple ways to solve every problem, whether it's through stealth or combat.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Vagrant Story is one of the ugliest games of its entire generation and that's really saying something

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Fallout 4 was a dumbing down of Skyrim which was a dumbing down of Fallout: New Vegas which had tried to fix Fallout 3 which was a dumbing down of Oblivion which was a dumbing down of Morrowind which was an okay addition to Elder Scrolls but really Daggerfall was the last time Bethesda had faith that their players didn't all have learning disabilities and could enjoy all aspects of the system.

Bioshock is just Pretty System Shock 2. Should I feel honored or annoyed that they just copy and pasted the plot? Like, was it a nod to old school players, or did they just not have any ideas for a plot and they're like, oh hey what's this we got lying around?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Besides niche puzzle gimmick games, there hasn't been a single non-graphical innovation in FPS games in close to 20 years.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The new Doom feels like a bunch of monster arenas tacked on and stapled together, and feels little like the old Doom which had some great level design.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

The new Doom feels like a bunch of monster arenas tacked on and stapled together, and feels little like the old Doom which had some great level design.

Clearly somebody didn't explore the new DOOM and its ten dozen secret passages and vertical areas.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Breath of the Wild is at best an 8. It's just "ubisoft game" with a bit of polish.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Clearly somebody didn't explore the new DOOM and its ten dozen secret passages and vertical areas.

I have. Still didn't stop the game from being a long corridor of monster arenas. It was like all they looked at were the add-ons to Doom 2 and thought that was what the Doom experience was about.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Aisar posted:

ff6's programming was a trashfire

And story.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Morrowind has the worst combat of any game ever

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the only time paradox games have been good is CK 2 and afterwards

victoria was a trash fire of dumb mechanics and scripted railroad events

stellaris learned none of the lessons from CK2 and EU IV and paradox is left with trying to fix a flawed game

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

Earthbound takes too long to get going.

Earthbound's humor was awful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you don't see yuri get cornholed by that chinese guy in shadow hearts 1, either

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
TIE Fighter had some dumb mission design. In the mission where you had to disable the shuttle with the Emperor aboard, your wingmen might attack and blow it up (even if it was already disabled) unless you specifically ordered them to cease shooting. And the mission where you double-crossed the pirates who wanted to ransom a scientist could fail if one of the pirate fighters docked with a cruiser that couldn't get away anyhow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you don't see gepetto jacking off with those two gay fashion dudes, also

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I have. Still didn't stop the game from being a long corridor of monster arenas. It was like all they looked at were the add-ons to Doom 2 and thought that was what the Doom experience was about.

To be fair, that's how the majority of the community feels about it.

In that vein, Doom 2 and all that followed were dumpster fires making GBS threads all over the beautifully handcrafted masterpiece that was DOOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Witcher 3's combat is fundamentally garbage because they couldn't even get the engine to let you do the right sword hit and gave you no way of picking which swing Geralt does, so every time an enemy is in your grill he does a lengthy gap closer and every time they're far away he swings impotently.

Even modders can't make it work and modders made W2s combat work!!

E: last of us had exactly one puzzle repeated endlessly (can you find the pallet???) and 20% of a story in which they didn't even have the balls to kill beardy Nathan Drake.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread