Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish is the 12th game in the main Zelda series. Released in 2004 (2005 in North America and Australia) the game was developed by Capcom and released for the Game Boy Advance. In all honestly, I don't know too much about the game in terms of story and content. I have never actually played this game before, making this a blind LP. What I do know is that it involves the bug-sized Minish, a race of tiny creatures that are apparently responsible for Rupees found in weird places like rocks and bushes. It is the third Zelda game to be mainly developed by Capcom, the first two being Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, though Nintendo oversaw the project.

Why this game?

Simply put, I'm continuing my LP series of Zelda games and The Minish Cap is second in the timeline, so that's why I'm playing it. That, and it will be nice to play it since I've never done so before. I've heard very little talk, either good or bad, about this game and I'm excited to see for myself how it fares to the other Zelda titles and in general. It's been a long time since I've been able to dive into a Zelda game for the first time, and it'll be nice to experience that again.

About the LP:

Unlike my last LP, this one will be a live, blind playthrough. I've never played The Minish Cap and really only know the overarching details about it. I don't particularly plan to 100% the game, especially since that'd probably require looking up a guide, and I really don't want to do that. If I get stuck on a puzzle or something for too long, I'll make sure to edit out my wandering around trying to figure out what the heck to do. I will mainly be talking about what I think of the game as I go through it, commentating on all the things I'm seeing for the first time. And I should note I won't be reading the dialogue out loud, so no need to worry if that bothers you. At the moment, I have no gameplay recorded, as I want to allow the thread to pick what Link's name is this time around before I begin.

As a warning, since it came up in the Sandcastle thread, I WILL be talking during cutscenes, just so people know if that kind of thing bothers them.

Schedule:

No particular schedule in mind, really. No specific days of the week for uploading. I will say I will mainly be uploading and recording during the weekdays, and very rarely on the weekends.

Spoilers?:

Please, no story-related spoilers.

THE ADVENTURE PROPER:

Part 1 - The Festival
Part 2 - The Minish Cap
Part 3 - The Deepwood Shrine
Part 4 - Kinstones
Part 5 - Mt. Crenel Base
Part 6 - Mt. Crenel
Part 7 - Melari
Part 8 - Cave of Flames
Part 9 - The White Sword
Part 10 - The Elemental Sanctuary
Part 11 - The Pegasus Boots
Part 12 - Castor Wilds
Part 13 - The Wind Ruins
Part 14 - The Fortress of Winds
Part 15 - Of Library Books and Kinstones
Part 16 - The Power Bracelets
Part 17 - The Flippers
Part 18 - The Flame Lantern
Part 19 - The Temple of Droplets
Part 20 - Royal Valley
Part 21 - Cloud Tops
Part 22 - Palace of Winds
Part 23 - The Wind Element
Part 24 - Dark Hyrule Castle
Part 25 - Dark Hyrule Castle II
Part 26 - Vaati

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

As I said in the OP, I am allowing this thread to name Link for me. I'll start on the LP officially on Thursday, so for the rest of today and tomorrow, anyone can suggest what his name should be, and I'll pick my favorite.

Note: The game only allows six characters for Link's name.

This post will also be reserved for anything else in the future if need-be.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I recommend the old favourite, Dongs to be his name.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

For the sake of some fun dialogue, I wanna vote for Vaati.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
This is the Legend of Zelda, right?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

Seconding this for the sake of comedy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Our hero shall be A reasonable pace of videos this time.

Wait, that's over the limit. poo poo.

IAmTheRad posted:

This is the Legend of Zelda, right?

I vote for this.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Warmal posted:

I vote for this name.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I always like Dude! for Zelda game names. Every single NPC that knows your name suddenly either is overly enthusiastic, or is stoned.

Also, I love this game. The only complaint I have about it is it feels too short.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Choco1980 posted:

I always like Dude! for Zelda game names. Every single NPC that knows your name suddenly either is overly enthusiastic, or is stoned.

Also, I love this game. The only complaint I have about it is it feels too short.

Voting for Dude! because "Zelda" sets my autism off, "Vaati" is kind of a story spoiler(?) and I'm fairly sure naming the protagonist "Dongs" is trademarked by Geop.

If punctuation can't be input, then I will settle for the name Link, because I am boring as hell.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

How 'bout You, as in 'Hey, you.' or "You, chosen hero of legend."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh by the way, I enjoy the thread title. Very inspired.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Dude! is a great idea, it gets my vote.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Dude! gets my vote

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

Our hero shall be A reasonable pace of videos this time.

Yeah, yeah. I get it.

Choco1980 posted:

Oh by the way, I enjoy the thread title. Very inspired.

Aha, thanks man. I was hoping someone would catch that.

Without further ado, the first two videos are here:

Part 1 - The Festival
Part 2 - The Minish Cap

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were other zelda games that didn't have the master sword.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

savixeon posted:

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were other zelda games that didn't have the master sword.

Oh yeah, that's right. I had completely forgotten about that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

savixeon posted:

I don't think any of the multiplayer games had the Master Sword either.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think any of the multiplayer games had the Master Sword either.

Were the four swords games the only multiplayer zelda games, or were there more?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

savixeon posted:

Were the four swords games the only multiplayer zelda games, or were there more?

Triforce Heroes is the most recent one. It's different in that it has THREE players instead of four.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

savixeon posted:

Triforce Heroes now

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Carbon dioxide posted:

Triforce Heroes is the most recent one. It's different in that it has THREE players instead of four.

IAmTheRad posted:

Triforce Heroes now

Forgot about that one, thanks. Is there a special sword in Triforce Heroes, like in every other zelda game?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funny thing, Tri Force heroes went right under my nose somehow. Didn't even know the game existed until about a month ago when a friend made an offhand comment about it.

Also, just one video for today:

Part 3 - The Deepwood Shrine

Tell me I'm not the only one that thinks these ChuChus look like old Homestar Runner.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm quite sure you can push or pull one of those blocks blocking the chest in front of the boss room. Maybe you were at the wrong pixel?

Also yeah you return to the start of a dungeon when you save, but that's no problem. You'll unlock the warp portals from the first room as you go, so those allow you to continue where you left off.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I like how this dungeon emphasizes early on how different the world is at that size by making a basic enemy some gargantuan boss creature you need special tools to defeat.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm quite sure you can push or pull one of those blocks blocking the chest in front of the boss room. Maybe you were at the wrong pixel?

Also yeah you return to the start of a dungeon when you save, but that's no problem. You'll unlock the warp portals from the first room as you go, so those allow you to continue where you left off.

Maybe. But unless there was something really special in it, I probably won't go back for it.

And that sounds good, though I'll probably just try and get each dungeon done in one sitting anyway from now on either way.

Edvarius posted:

I like how this dungeon emphasizes early on how different the world is at that size by making a basic enemy some gargantuan boss creature you need special tools to defeat.

I'm liking that so far too, I'm excited to see what the other bosses are like, seeing a normally harmless enemy from a different angle like that was pretty interesting.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And here's an update:

Part 4 - Kinstones
Part 5 - Mt. Crenel Base

I only realized the (really obvious) thing I missed as I was reviewing Part 5 in my editor. At least I know what to do for next time.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
I'm surprised that you never thought to check any of the sign posts in Hyrule town when you were looking for Mt. Crenal.

Also, would you be okay with getting gameplay tips or small hints when you get stuck or are those no good? Since you said you don't want to look up a guide when you get stuck.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

savixeon posted:

I'm surprised that you never thought to check any of the sign posts in Hyrule town when you were looking for Mt. Crenal.

Also, would you be okay with getting gameplay tips or small hints when you get stuck or are those no good? Since you said you don't want to look up a guide when you get stuck.

Well, at first I was mainly just looking around and seeing what the town was like. And I also sincerely didn't even see the signs. Probably too busy stalking the Postman.

And yeah, those are welcome. Though I do now know what I have to do, I only noticed (somehow) that bombable rock during editing.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well, at first I was mainly just looking around and seeing what the town was like. And I also sincerely didn't even see the signs. Probably too busy stalking the Postman.

And yeah, those are welcome. Though I do now know what I have to do, I only noticed (somehow) that bombable rock during editing.

If you know what to do now then I'll just give you some tips.
First, the sound made when you stab a wall differs depending on if the wall is bomb-able or not.
Second, your gust jar can suck up a lot of things, ranging from dust and debris on the ground to all or parts of enemies. Its a lot more versatile than it seems at first glance and it can't run out of ammo like your bombs can.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

savixeon posted:

If you know what to do now then I'll just give you some tips.
First, the sound made when you stab a wall differs depending on if the wall is bomb-able or not.
Second, your gust jar can suck up a lot of things, ranging from dust and debris on the ground to all or parts of enemies. Its a lot more versatile than it seems at first glance and it can't run out of ammo like your bombs can.

Alright, thanks man. Will keep those in mind later.
But...does that mean those grey things I bombed on the mountain AREN'T oddly spiky rocks? That's what I assumed they were.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Alright, thanks man. Will keep those in mind later.
But...does that mean those grey things I bombed on the mountain AREN'T oddly spiky rocks? That's what I assumed they were.

I'll be honest, I don't know what those things are either.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Best guess I can come up with is some kind of brambles, but they don't really look like anything.

Skoob
Oct 9, 2012
I always thought that they were hot ash. Considering Mt Crenel is volcanic it would make sense.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

For some reason after I learned I could use the Gust Jar on them I thought they were like, thorny bushes. Dunno why they'd be there, but...

Either way, time to overcome this mountain:

Part 6 - Mt. Crenel
Part 7 - Melari

This dungeon item gets my vote for the most oddly specific power of an item in any Zelda game.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
I guess I should have explained how you're supposed to stab the wall since you were just slashing it. To stab a wall so you can tell if it is bomb-able you need to charge up a spin slash, hold it, and then run into the wall sword first. When you do that you'll hear the sound of the sword hitting the wall.

On the cane of pacci I definitely agree. Strangely that makes it one of my favorite zelda dungeon items.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

savixeon posted:

I guess I should have explained how you're supposed to stab the wall since you were just slashing it. To stab a wall so you can tell if it is bomb-able you need to charge up a spin slash, hold it, and then run into the wall sword first. When you do that you'll hear the sound of the sword hitting the wall.

On the cane of pacci I definitely agree. Strangely that makes it one of my favorite zelda dungeon items.

Well drat, you're right. My bad entirely on that one, could have sworn you said slash before.

And yeah, it's odd but in a good way. "Congrats you can flip poo poo now!" It just tickled my funny bone.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Only one episode for today, but now I got the Fire Element:

Part 8 - Cave of Flames

I looked up the boss' name and found out he's appeared in a few other Zelda games. Didn't even recognize him here.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Didn't make as much progress as I would've liked:

Part 9 - The White Sword
Part 10 - The Elemental Sanctuary

Probably won't upload again until Monday. If anyone has any more hints or tips for me, this would be the best time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Probably won't upload again until Monday. If anyone has any more hints or tips for me, this would be the best time.
All that comes to mind is the guy in the yellow-roofed house on the west side of town. If you get a chance to do his Kinstone fusion (I think it's one of the red kinds), take it.

I guess it's too late to mention that you can also put out those flames in the dungeon with the sword?

• Locked thread