Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So are we supposed to be voting for the next theater or not yet? Because it seems like not yet, but I don't want to be waiting and then not get my vote in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote we back Count Von Hoff in Angola. The Steampunk guy seems like a bad idea, because it'll be a horribly run scam. The dictator is straight out.

The hippie situation in the Bering Straight can resolve itself. Don't give a fuuuuuck.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

While I don't have a ton of preference for individual airframes (given that I want some of those F16s but they'd be prohibitively expensive with the 20% charge), I still advocate for us keeping some liquidity. We never know when we're going to need it in-theater. Renting out that island base for our naval strike is a good example. Or having a limited time offer come up that we might get our hands on some sweet blackmarket goods we normally wouldn't have access to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Can we get a B-52? If we're going to sub-Saharan Africa, there's a chance we'll need to carpet bomb a town out of existence.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Barracuda, where are you getting the information that having more than a million in liquid assets will be useless once we head into theater? Did I miss a post from Yooper confirming there will be no more random events for some reason?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, I'm half German, and we Germans love the 'Hoff, so I'm still backing Count von Hoff in Angola

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm going to be voting for whatever gets us closest to Full Communism Now every single time from now on, just to spite you for making such a horrific accusation :colbert:

You would probably vote it anyway? Not really a loss. :v:

I mean if you want to get closer to glorious communism, we can probably buy you some unarmored shitheap with nothing but cannons on it to fly around in. Straight from GLORIOUS SOVIET UNION.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought Yooper had cancelled the "no x% chance to not be available mission by mission" as unfun?

No, he made it so that it's a roll once per mission chance rather than a once per sortie chance.

[EDIT]
And the chance is rolled during planning phase, not action phase.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ANGOLA - Count David Von Hasslehoff

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soup Inspector posted:

Apparently our ground component is slowly descending into madness. :stare: I wonder if we could sell the rights to a reality TV show?

And since third time's the charm - Count me in for Angola!

We've been in theater like a day and a half. The descent into madness isn't that slow.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, while you guys were arguing over whether multi-million dollar frogfoots are too poo poo for the money, there are actual children better supplied than our ground forces.

And yet we still managed to blow up that radar installation for you. :smugdog:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are you saying that if we had cut the sewage line, everything would have gone to poo poo?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

NewMars posted:

I do want to point out that our ground force's commander isn't just a Kurt Russel Cosplayer.

They're actually an escaped mental patient that thinks that they are Kurt Russel and all his characters.

And yet he managed to infiltrate that radar base and capture a guy, AND communicate with him in Chinese.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In my head, it was basically this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For those suggesting that our ground forces just take out the radar stations for us, keep in mind that this isn't the remote mountains of Tibet. There are going to be actual forces in the area and probably some heavily armed locals to boot. Our ground forces have no armor, basic assault rifles, and two mags of ammo a piece. We have no comms equipment, no recon equipment, 12 men, and a stolen Geo Metro as our dedicated transport. Delta Force we are not. Plus we don't even get paid for the jobs we do for you guys. you made hundreds of millions of dollars off the strike we assisted in, and our payment was "whatever we could steal from the radar station before reinforcements show up*. That's where we got our Metro! We also got $10k from the Chinese for ransoming an officer.

I'm all for helping our brothers in the sky, but keep in mind your ground forces are not operating on the same scale or economy as you guys are.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hell, training the Angolans would give our many, many surplus pilots something to do instead of waiting for their colleagues to diethe company to buy new planes.

Edit:

Well, if you're done with the stick-beatings, you could always tag along with the Count's ground-pounders. If we play our cards right and start rolling in the Lithium, you'll be able to probably piggyback on their getting new toys too. Plus stealing from the vanquished foe is in the finest mercenary traditions.

Or we could just come and steal some planes from you guys and sell them on the black market. You'd never see it coming and it would sell for significantly more than the trash we loot. We just found out what our captured comms techs are using as our Base communications. A single PC running Windows 98. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clearly our opening move is to find out where El Presidente is and air drop our completely unprepared and no jump training troops in to try and capture or kill him before he knows we're there.

What could go wrong?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The best part is, a bunch of heavily armed guys driving around in a lovely car from the mid 90s wouldn't be out of place in Angola.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My procurement recommendation for this turn includes spending $15,000 (a princely sum, for us!) on a long range backpack radio so we can communicate with you chair force chaps. I suspect our first air strike will kill fully half our unit with friendly fire.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My comments about the poverty of our gloroius ground troops were mostly in-character as a jest, if still strictly accurate. We're supposed to be an impovershed band of chucklefucks. It wouldn't be any fun if we could immediately buy everything Bogdan had in stock and all the base upgrades, just like you guys wouldn't have any fun if you could buy all the top of the line fighters you want. Window shopping gives you something to aspire to.

Do keep it in mind though when planning whether or not we can totally take out that NORAD base at Cheyenne mountain with our 12 guys in an economy car. You can pay us in respect for the blood we've shed to keep you from getting exploded. :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Given that people were explicitly asking for Rohan to be hireable, there's basically zero chance she doesn't win the vote.

Paul Hogan was a cool guy, but we already have slaves we don't even pay to get ground intel. Rohan is free planes, and thus probably objectively the best choice in addition to being the thread favorite, and so will win unopposed.

I'm sticking with my prior vote of Zack because drones and CIA stuff.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It was literally not our mission to go help her fighters. They went up knowing they were bait. If she has a problem with that, she can stay in India and take it up with her bosses.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I am (pleasantly) surprised that people are voting against the recurring character over a little thing like "she might randomly fire bomb a hospital or an orphanage". I figured she'd win the vote even if she literally provided no bonus and just cost a bunch of money.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They all come with baggage. That is the entire point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yooper already said it's a one asset limit.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A tactical nuclear strike to ensure a clear path to those lithium mines.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Davin Valkri posted:

We are supposed to be the good guys here, not the Free State!

I believe history has proven that the people to nuke first are always the good guys in the war. It has held up 100% of the time! :patriot:

aphid_licker posted:

Can't wait to have to figure out a way to use our Gripens to harvest a conex's worth of human civilian kidneys

We spent a lot of money on those precision bombs, don't tell me now they're not precise enough to extract human organs for export!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Quinntan posted:

I do like how our PMC plans acquisitions like a D&D party.

D&D parties are PMCs themselves, if you think about it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Quinntan posted:

Is it the same one Margaret Thatcher's son was involved in trying to coup?

Wasn't that in Africa, not an island?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loel posted:

That was Equatorial Guinea, which is my second choice :v:

Was it whatever island Mad Mike Hoare and his group tried to take over?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

chitoryu12 posted:

Hey I wonder how the ground forces are handling themselv--

Fortunately for everyone, Grimace and Dr. McFish both elected to sit out the Thunderdome because we'd rather save our killing for the enemies and healing our broken 'tards respectively.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Barracuda, I appreciate the tanker being included in your detailed plans, but clearly the refuel point should be Point Pig Pen rather than Gas Station. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loel posted:

Can we message Free State and tell them we begin hostilities with Dictator on x day? Maybe we could coordinate and get a two front war.

Seems like that would immediately ruin the element of surprise.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loel posted:

Hes got MLRS heading for our airfield, he knows we're here :v:

But he doesn't know we're the ones that will be on the offensive. :getin:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm going to miss this thread when it randomly gets moved to D&D.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yooper posted:

You've got about 10 hours until the MLRS's and T-55's are in boom-boom positions.

:catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

I'm gonna stuff proposals in one post and you guys can vote. So if you've got some crazy proposal in mind, best get it out now!

Wait, are we up against a realtime clock? Like the longer we take on proposals the closer the launchers get to their bombardment point? :ohdear:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cathode Raymond posted:

The knights of yore were a bunch of inbred thugs in plate armor.

Now I don't have a problem in abstaining from cluster munitions in a human vs. human conflict. But I hope that when the time comes, in the Bering Strait, when it comes down to cluster bombing a harbor to save the whales, you'll all make the right choice.

You guys make such a big deal about Rohan like she's a crazy person just cause she's a little disgruntled from the whole China affair. You know that I would level every tuna cannery in the world to save one dolphin, right? And I'm probably not even the most depraved pilot hanging around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUxK_0WLbg

Gotta nuke somethin'!.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thread worries about the morality of cluster munitions against military targets, hires literal terrorist.

:golfclap:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We probably should have explained (i.e. lied) to the Consortium and told them that we scanned abnormally high radar and comms transmissions coming from the hotel, and that on approach valued sub-contractors plane registered an intermittent target lock warning, so she took out the hotel because she believed it was being used as a disguised EWAR/SAM facility. That might even serve to drive a gulf between them and the dictator, if they think the dictator is using their residences as bait to draw in enemy air strikes.

I mean, if we're going to hire lunatics with the ability to blow up hotels, we might as well have lies prepared to cover for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

This is good spin, can we have the PR guys pass it along?

If you need vaguely plausible spin to cover your war crimes, I'm your man! Ask anybody in the Battletech LP thread. :v: