Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan posted:

*reinstalls Jagged Allegiance 1.13*

Im the guy carrying all the SCAR ammo conversion kits JUST TO BE SAFE, YA KNOW???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wonder where we'll be visiting next?

Also since I died I'm now a wisecracking ghost that helps with plane maintenance and puts lost tools in places where crew can find them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'd be down for some African work tbh.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are runways a single entity or several spaced along an area?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Also a good yellow curry recipe if he has one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Perfect job for HUMINT tbh. Note and convey which are occupied and convey that information to us.

They are outside our UAV range right? Can we launch those from forward positions or are they runway only.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They feel that way against targets that can't defend, but they're essential versus peer-level enemies.

Many will still get swatted from the sky by IADS if you use them clumsily still and ignore terrain masking.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Quinntan posted:

The Sperwer really is intended only for armies to tow along and launch for tactical reconnaissance. It really isn't suitable for us.

Seems it's truck launchable though at least, so no runway concerns.

I could totally see it being useful, but it'd have to be launched early in an operation so the intel it gives can be dissected and used by the time the flyboys are up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'd like to use my accumulated ectoplasm to decrease the likelihood of engine failure on the Phantoms, please.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does Command undervalue the Mavericks range? They should be in the area of 24km/12 miles.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kill the airfield.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

Jumping on the Strict Parenting, Light Attackers bandwagon.

Same here.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looks like the Egyptian Mirage can carry a decent ARM actually. That'd be sweet.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

koolkevz666 posted:

What about some F/A-18Cs with the AGM-88 HARMs?

Hornets would be a bit too logical I think. They'd kind of take away from the character of the group by virtue of being pretty much ideal for our purposes, really :P. The Rafale would have the same problem imo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The strike oriented Tornadoes would be very sweet for us.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Prowlers are a great choice. The ELINT, ECM, and ECCM dynamic is loads of fun.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guys I'd like to go on record as saying "5th Generation jets are loving nasty."

I wasn't expecting Rafales to get devoured like that, Christ :psyduck:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We can get back into the CIA s good graces by capturing and returning Dr Pavel.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The SA-22 is hands down the best SAM on that list imo. Pantsir is a nasty oval office.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tornado obsoletes the A10 and Su25 alike for us imo. Su24 would have as well, or the almighty Strike Eagle.

Also I've evolved from wisecracking maintenance ghost to literal ghost in the machine so please stick me in a UAV control slot.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Growlers can contest the dominance of the S-400, and their presence is a huge boon versus them and other cutting edge SAM's.

Against earlier stuff it's very effective at making sure that the missile forgets it's purpose in life the moment it leaves the rail.

I think we'd be fine with a Prowler so long as we aren't engaging the super modern long range poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Be super careful using the claimed view ranges of most optical suites of that nature. They are almost without exception the result of marketing and don't take into consideration anything about atmospheric conditions, which are a huge deal. Same with IRST and thermal imaging systems.

I think it's some abstraction of the devices resolution and other traits rather than a system being able to reliably peep an object at sixty miles away.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 17, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

power crystals posted:

By the way, can we get an update on who's assigned to operate what with all the new hardware?

Fingers crossed on either the Reaper or the Hawk

Already called Reaper since I'm a literal ghost :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

J-20 Mighty Dragons stuck spinning their wheels and sliding across the tarmac on an ocean of sewage.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Don't trust Phi. What kind of monster only adds semi automatic MAC-10s?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Voting for Zack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Odds are the MLRS site would have IR SAM rather than radar. Definitely agreed on the SEAD overwatch for the Frogfoot armor strike.

poo poo, a Reaper at high altitude could probably pick off the Astros one by one, were it not for the threat of scrambled fighters.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Quinntan posted:

You might get the launchers themselves that way, but an MLRS launcher is really just a truck with a lot of tubes, they're not super hard to replace. Now, if you saturate the area with 2600 bomblets, you're likely to get a bunch of support vehicles, stuff like reloaders and ammunition trucks, as well as the valuable support crews. Plus, they're quite close to the front line so when we capture the area we can get the NGOs that deal with minefield clearing to clear the area of UXO.

Agreed. Cluster weapons are a valuable tool perfect for this kind of target. Just have to be certain that this strike is nowhere near a civilian settlement for PR.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the Frogfoots range is a loving pain in the rear end. It's it's trademark fundamental weakness imo, just like the A-10 lack of speed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dong Quixote posted:

Every operational plan should have the Prowler used in some sort of capacity. EWAR is something we have that no other side has to our knowledge. To leave it on the ground is like not launching our AEW plane.

The Prowler flying in formation with a dedicated SEAD or Strike package is the ideal way to use it. Those jammers should be good for stuff we are likely to see.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

S-300 lol. drat.

When the time comes, that's an ideal SDB target. And it's probably mated tracking radar of course. And Prowler jamming for that flight would be extremely wise.

9K33M2 is the SA-8 Gecko, which we can avoid with proper altitude and range discipline. Pretty old.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I kinda want to see the ensuing panic and eventual lessons learned being put into practice after we eat an artillery strike tbh. Not now of course, but disasters like that are always fun to recover from.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yooper posted:

Holy poo poo. That Gorgon Stare pod on the MQ-9B is unreal.

I won't change the scenario to adjust but wow, that things a game changer.

And a sweet loving name.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Best pics I've got are the X-32 :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I just watched the last episode Black Mirror, can we get us some of those bees???

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

HARM would have probably killed the SAM, but it has to be launched while the radar is active. It's the first anti radar missile IIRC that used an INS backup to keep it headed towards a target that toggled it's radar off.

Later versions I believe have GPS functionality so if the target turns off it's radar, it still runs the risk of a HARM cosplaying as a JDAM smacking it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gervasius posted:

Buccaneers are BAD in year 2025 or whatever

poo poo they weren't particularly good in 1985!

And yet it was up to them to strike the Soviet Navy's nastiest ships.

One of my favorite scenarios is the British home fleet vs the Soviet Red Banner fleet. The Royal navy's only real chance versus the Kiev carrier and friends is timed salvos of Sea Eagles.

The power output of a full fleet in full ECM mode is wild.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yooper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dhHDew0Hc

We've got an update from Rohan. She's breaking radio silence and leveling with us. I'm very hopeful she'll do the right thing but we're not a charity. We can give her another chance. Or we can boot her rear end.

I'm trying Amazon Polly for some voice generation. On the plus side I can do lots more voice stuff (for free!) but on the downside it doesn't sound as good as a real person. Though it does sound better than some of the Fiverr actors I've seen. What do you guys think?

Ground Chat

The Bulgarians have arrived. They came through the Suez, transited into Tanzania and crossed through the Zambia like a raving pack of animals. We've got some gritty shots of T-72's, BMP's, infantry vehicles, and a rag tag assortment of cargo trucks. But, of interest to us, is this.

Maybe it's going to cover the Free State, but I kind of have a feeling we're going to be dealing with one of those nasty sons of bitches.

I'm hammering out some details with Von Hoff, but right now the Bulgarians are looking to be headed for Capelongo. If they can take that area they'll cut off Monongue and our newly won lithium mines won't be worth poo poo. That's the main mission. There, um, seems to be a payment issue that is going to require some extracurricular explosions.

More to come.

SA-20 Gargoyle in the pic I think. Not an S 400 but pretty loving close. I'd treat it as a Patriot equivalent, extremely loving nasty.

It needs to die. And in a methodical and planned manner, or else we'll lose airframes and crew. Locate it, and feed it SDBs if you can keep it's radar off. Terrain masking and denying radar locks is vital, so absolutely warrants jammer support.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

UberJew posted:

works from the deck up to space with a longer range than a harm and relatively rapid fire capability, yep that's in the category of super nasty sams

Think Gripens slinging SDBs from max range at altitude could work, target resolution permitting? Just slinging em from way up at speed, and immediately diving back away after weapons are launched. Should be overwhelmed if we can get them off at a good range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm glad we're giving the Gargoyle the respect it deserves. Saturation is my preferred way to kill them anyways :getin: it's one of those expensive systems where we will still come out ahead financially after Winchester even!

Never used the Taurus though, but I've used the British Stormshadow and it's pretty loving effective.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 24, 2017