Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spiderdrake posted:

Mitsuki is actually supposed to be kinda upbeat right? I barely remember what I've seen of him, but he's not supposed to be king of the emo snakes or something is he?

I mean he's king of the snakes. As in he is a Snake Sage, But yeah he is jokey.

If anything Boruto is the Sasuke of the group. A Sasuke who didn't lose his entire family. But still a Sasuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Obito and Shisui were cool

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also Chocho is cool and fun. And being cool and fun >>> having to foreshadow a relationship.

This series takes place before Naruto chapter #700(the final chapter), and thus also before Salad's sidestory, It looks like Mitsuki is about to show up so it probably takes place in Konoha after the Mitsuki's standalone chapter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sure it means we are probably gonna get the most magic eye bullshit later.

But Boy that episode of Boruto was amusing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hiashi and Hanabi becoming annoyingly happy Grandfather and Aunt is the most amusing thing ever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hanabi :allears:

Naruto is so much better when it's dumb ninja kids getting up to dumb Ninja kid poo poo. And not gods destroying poo poo scale.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The story itself is fine, but whoo boy the art is trash.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Boruto's Friendship no Jutsu is already S class.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

It would be a bit hypocritical for the people who forgave Orochimaru and people from Root to be like oh yeah this child soldier who was brainwashed to do a thing is getting the axe. There is a bit of a weakness in the tone shift from episode to episode, I guess, but oh well.

As bad as we all know this is going to get I thought that was a pretty good opening 14 episodes. I appreciate that Mitsuki and Class Rep both had skills way above Boruto's.

loving Kabuto is literally running an orphanage in the city.

You know the guy who is literally responsible for the entire back half of the arc by resurrecting the body of Madara. Without him it would have just been Obito, and he would have gotten friendship'd so hard.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

The manga being monthly along with its glacial pacing is the primary reason why the anime decided to take a different route. But despite how much Naruto may have traumatized you, you shouldn't consider the Boruto anime-exclusive storylines filler; like with Dragon Ball Super, the same writer is on both the manga and the anime.

So far the anime has been decidedly more low key than the manga, which has worked out for the better in just about every possible way if you ask me. Unless you really, really like drama I would ignore the manga entirely. The anime has made much better use of its cast (both old and new) and setting, and is just more... pleasant to watch, I guess? If you were a Naruto fan it's kinda enjoyable seeing the ways the new gen differs from the old, and it feels like the anime is taking its chance to rewrite or clarify some of the weirder things the movie and the manga established.

As an example, in episode... 13, I think, Boruto explains that up until Naruto became Hokage he was straight up Best Dad Ever and always around for his kids. So Boruto's anger with his dad taking his position so seriously changed from "spoiled kid who doesn't understand the importance of his dad's position" to "kid who doesn't understand why things have suddenly changed", which is much more sympathetic. Actually, Boruto in the anime is waaaaaay more sympathetic than just about any of his other portrayals, which is probably going to make the inevitable movie retelling weird as hell. I kinda hope they just rewrite that thing entirely.

Also episode 15 was nice. I liked how Boruto's scene at the beginning contrasted with his earlier obsession over attaining eyehax and how Shino's arc concluded. The ending implied Sarada Gaiden is next, so I guess I'll stick along to see how that trainwreck goes. But that scene with Not Vegeta and Not Nappa at the end still has me ready to bail out the second things get dumb.

The thing is I agree you should probably just watch the anime but I for the most part disagree with the manga's story being a problem. The Manga's story has been fine. The Boruto movie was fine for the story it was trying to tell, and the manga's first arc was just that, and the new stuff with the Daimyo's kid has been cool story wise as well. Looks like the movie arc solved like all of the assholishness with Boruto.

The main reason you shouldn't read the manga is because the art is hot garbage, while the Anime still uses Kishimoto's style.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm ready for the sasuke sucks so loving much arc

It was so loving great. Especially in the fanbase.

Because it was literally implying what a number of the hardline shippers were pushing about Sasuke, Sakura and Karen, from the final flash forward chapter.

Those weeks were so very good to browse Naruto communities. People were sooo mad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kishimoto has made it an art form to undercut Sakura's big drat cool moments quickly and efficiently from like the start of the series. It'd be breaking character if Sakura had any well meaning and long term success.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean I can't blame Sakura for being a bad parent.

Being a single mom is hard. And Sarada seems extremely well adjusted considering that. Pity she's an Uchiha, so her future is filled with nothing but sadness despair and bullshit eye powers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Will never get over how Sakura has a loving image framed of Sasuke in goddamn Akatsuki gear.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

In defense of killing Danzo, he was merely an acting hokage while Tsunade was hurt, and IIRC he was also stripped of his title at the summit after people found out he was evil and was using his eye to manipulate people before Sasuke fought him and caused his suicide.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He's trying to be evil, but outside of a couple of situations he ends up only doing things that most would consider good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He has another family in the fire country.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, as I recall the only reason Sasuke isn't dead or imprisoned for life right now (and by association, why Sarada exists at all) is because of Naruto and Kakashi putting in a good word for him.

I mean he did literally save the world, but yeah, Kakashi, Sakura, and Naruto kept the whole, trying to kill the Kage's thing after Kaguya died to themselves.

And if others didn't know about that than that it's pretty easy to craft a narrative about Sasuke that would absolve him of most of his sins, considering him bringing the previous Hokage's and stopping Kaguya literally saved every single person in the world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao Himawari >>> Neji.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, if anything that's one of the healthiest relationships we've seen in this series.

Ino/Sai, and Temari/Shikamaru imo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd like to see a scene where naruto introduces kurama to his kids

Himawari is going to terrify and torment poor Kurama.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I don't hate the Original Manga stuff so far. But the art is traaaaaaash

So if they keep the key art not trash It'll likely be decent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Sarada was a train wreck waiting to happen. If it weren't for Naruto being a respectable adult figure, she would have followed her dad's footsteps and ditched.

You gotta remember that while almost all of the new generation kids are tightly knit (particularly around Boruto), Chocho is Sarada's only regular friend. And that's due to active effort on Chocho's part. Otherwise, Sarada spends most of her time alone stewing in Parent Issues.

EDIT: Also Sarada has all the hallmarks of a kid forced to grow up too fast, so I wouldn't say Sakura's a particularly good mother. Her job's just as important as Naruto's, but unlike him she doesn't have a history of putting 120% into everything she does to inform her decision to not be there for her child more. To me, Sarada seems to have mostly turned out well more due to modern Konoha being a safe environment than anything her parents did.

Eh, do you know how goddamn hard it is to be a single working mom(well functionally single anyway)? She's got mortgages to pay and poo poo.

Sarada is a latch key kid sure, but Sakura is clearly there for her and they interact frequently. There have been multiple scenes of them eating dinner together, seeming like it happens frequently. And if modern Konoha wasn't a safe environment she most definitely wouldn't be around her mom, she would be in a group fighting in a foreign land, while Sakura is off running higher level important missions.

Like Kakashi was like 6-8 and they had him out in the field fighting in wars and poo poo.

Like I think it's preeeeety unfair(i mean as unfair as it can be for a fictional character anyway) to poo poo on Sakura's raising of Sarada. She seems super well adjusted and mature, outside of the comical series of events that lead her to thinking that her mom has been lying to her all these years about her parentage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Sakura's in a tough position, but it's also a nonsensical one. The majority of the flaws with her parenting come down to poor writing on the series' part (Why does she need to pay mortgages at all? Where did her parents go? Why have none of her friends or coworkers approached her about her working too hard like Shikamaru did to Naruto? And of course, why didn't she explain anything about Sasuke but that's a low hanging fruit), but unless any of that ever gets explained I'm left to assume she's just loving up. The episode that establishes Sarada and Sakura's home life also points out that Sakura constantly works late hours, to the point that Sarada is in charge of cooking dinner. And another episode has Sarada blow off hanging out with friends because she needs to make dinner, so.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with regards to modern Konoha being a better place. That if Sarada was around during the Third's reign, she would've turned out even worse? That's kind of my point, she only seems to have turned out so well at all compared to other Uchiha because she's just in a better environment.

And I'm going to be blunt here, but Sarada is a screwed up kid. Not nearly to the extent of how screwed up her father was, or even near how screwed up kids were in general back in the original series, but still pretty screwed up by her generation's standards. Sarada Gaiden itself showcases all of the insecurities she's got regarding her parentage, and those didn't come out of nowhere. The series proper shows that she doesn't spend that much time with her age group, has her constantly try to act more mature than she really is (pretending she doesn't know about Boruto's favorite movie hero, not wanting to train surf, etc), and having a bad habit of not saying what's really on her mind. None of that is necessarily a bad thing on their own, but combined with the rest of her issues it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

A lot of this is due to how obviously Sarada is being written to contrast Boruto, mind you. It remains to be seen what's going to be done with it (I think her decision to pursue become Hokage was supposed to be her turning over a new leaf), but at the moment Boruto is a Happy Ordinary Kid so that means Sarada is a Sad Not Ordinary Kid.

Capitalism yo. The world doesn't give a gently caress if you saved the world veteran lady, go back and toil in the capitalism mines. She doesn't work too hard, she just has a 9-5 where she occasionally has to stay late, and has a kid that often gets home from school before she's normally back.

She doesn't really work too hard, though, she works in a hospital and occasionally has to stay late. Her kid is old enough to fend for themselves when they are at home. I was fairly similar, My mom worked mornings and my dad worked nights. My Dad was gone by the time I got home and didn't get home til like 2AM, and my mom usually didn't get in til like 8PM or 9PM. I was home by myself for like 3-4 hours most nights from like age 8 til 17(went off to college). I assume she had family and friends look after her up til she was clearly capable of not killing herself if left alone for a period of time, just like I went over my grandparents house until age 8 or so.

A kid acting more mature than they are is kinda a thing a ton of kids do. Because they want to come off as more mature. It's not necessarily a function of being screwed up or anything because she's by herself for a couple of hours a day.

The only thing that really reflects poorly on Sakura is being unable to get a recent picture of Sasuke and her together(also I'm picturing the scene of when Taka stopped to take that loving image for some dumb reason and it's spectacular). And Maybe not doing a better job at explaining Sasuke being out on missions to Sarada.

Lmao at docking a kid's personality for not wanting to do dumb illegal and reckless poo poo like train surfing. Also young girls acting like they don't care or like action movie, or "boys stuff" isn't that rare. You are viewing everything from the perspective of the Boys in the class(Bort, Shikadai, and Ino''s kid who's name I forget). She seemed to get along with the other girls in the class perfectly fine.

Sarada is perfectly fine, maybe a bit less carefree than the boys and ChoCho, but other that that not outside the bounds of normal kids from different circumstances.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 7, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

At this point you're not arguing with me so much as you're just going "nah, you're wrong", so I'm just gonna stop this conversation here.

Thanks, though. This was kinda nostalgic.

How else am I supposed to counter you then, I'm just saying it's not some signal of massive disfunction or a sign of her being screwed up for some kids to act more mature, for her to not want to train surf and poo poo. And used a personal anecdote to showcase that.

Kids don't all have to be carefree trouble makers to be well adjusted. All kids have insecurities, It's a part of growing up. Some manifest it by showing out, Some internalize it, and others try to be their own stabilizing force in their lives.

Boruto's handles his father's absence(and hell he has a seemingly stay at home mom) by showing out. Sarada handles hers by being the steady rock in her family. It doesn't mean she's some dysfunctional kid or anything. She just has different circumstances she's had to deal with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

So I'm not following this Boruto thing closely but are ninja mortgages a real thing now?

It was a throwaway joke Sakura said after getting frustrated at Sarada's line of questioning ended up punching the ground and destroying their house.

Sakura, in clearly a gag scene and not some serious plot point going forward, then said "oh God I still have money to pay on the mortgage/loan" it was an "adulting" joke.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The less she knows about the Uchiha's history the less likely she will go insane. Remember what happened after Sasuke found the secret tablet in the basement. Instantly lost his poo poo and ran off.

Also unless you are in a time of war, it's probably fine to not tell a 10-12 year old about all the dark secrets in your family.

Probably don't need to be quite as cryptic as Sakura was, and just say the truth but just a heavily sanitized version of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

The thing I don't get it that once again nobody actually corrects Salad on Karin not being her biological mother. The DNA results were the last thing she saw, remember? As far as she's concerned she's happily adopted.

(Also what was the Ino thing about? Surely Sakura and Ino hang out enough for her to not be weirded out by her knowing Sasuke, and Salad knows she's a happily married woman. What has Sakura told her.)

Sakura did IIRC, it was right after Karen told Suigetsu what the umbilical cord thing was, and they cut back to Konoha.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it is never correct from what I recall. She never brings it up after figuring it does not matter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

haha I like how they recontextualized the manga chapter this was adapting.

The ending to that fight after Gaara's and Naruto's speech got a legit laugh out out me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sindai posted:

There's still bad wizards, they just aren't trying to become god any more.

these millennial wizards just don't have any ambition.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Villages are essentially nation aligned PMC's

Sakura mostly does hospital work nowadays and that doesn't pay nearly as well since there is very little conflict anymore.

And Naruto is obviously just embezzling the money that Sasuke is making with his year long missions into his own account.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sweet World building arc in the Mist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zabuza mentioned the Mist changing from when he was a genin right?

If not the previous Mizukage mentioned changes since they were under control of Madara during the 5 Kage Summit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

What. There is no one Chocho could be but Chouji's kid. The mom is questionable. But the kid looks 100% like a member from his clan(she's fat)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inochi, Shikaku, Chouza

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Not really, at least personally

It's been like 2 or 3 episodes of fighting.

And the fighting is Small scale, which is when Naruto is at it's best. Also not much sense of an actual large scale threat, Choujiro completely washed 3 of those dudes/dudettes, with a broken sword.

It being framed as just a "fight" between kids and teens(and a ringer in Choujiro), and Sarada not really worrying much outside of getting this handled by 9. It stayed pretty grounded to the tone of the series so far.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Well according to previews a future episode is Boruto running around like a chicken with his head cut off because he forgot to get Hima a souvenir.

Link?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

oh then lmao one more episode, which means is probably gonna end with Mitsuki showing that scroll to Kagura, it talking about how Yagura wasn't that bad and the bad poo poo he did was because he was being mind controlled by Madara or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pretty well if the person is competent. Think explosion sword from Rave.

None of these kids have seen "real" combat. Besides maybe Kisame's kid. They are dumb kids talking big about bringing back an age where they would likely be the ones who die outside of Kagura more than likely.