Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bolt being based off Neji's name which means Screw.

Also for another major character

Orochimaru Came back and helped save the world by summoning all the Dead Hokage during the War. This got him pardoned for his many many many crimes. After this he started his labs up again and continued doing amoral experiments. He swapped to a new body and eventually did find immortality accomplishing the first main step of his dream. He later grew new main cast member Mitsuki in a tube before sending him out on his way to see what would happen. He is also allowed to walk in, out and around in Konoha as if he never did kidnap and murder hundreds of its citizens

I was under the impression that he was basically under house arrest. And he's actually a better parent than Naruto or Sasuke, in his own...unique way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JahRoo posted:

The absurd power levels are fine in Boruto for now because they only show up when the adults have to get involved, which so far has been rarely. Of course that will change somewhere down the line when Boruto presumably has to save the village or something and his dad can't do it.

Minor movie spoilers: Boruto does eventually take down a big threat, but it's more a matter of being in the right place at the right time than actually becoming super-strong. Sort of like Gohan "defeating" Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga. Come to think of it, the writers may actually have been inspired by Gohan vs. Vegeta. I guess that makes Sasuke Piccolo and Kaguya Raditz...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

You're forgetting there's a lot of offscreen time before the chunin exams (though I grant you some of that could have been shown)

how is naruto and hinata in any way an unhealthy relationship??

It's not, really, but a lot of people like to call Hinata a "stalker."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Before the Crazy M Sharingan was introduced Kakashi stated he thought the Byakugan was better.

I can see why Kakashi, specifically, would think that. Notice that Ao can switch his eye on and off, instead of having it draining him constantly like Kakashi.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Also weird that only leaf ninja get eye techniques because apparently all the other ninja in the world aren't descended from anybody worth mentioning?

There are some non-Leaf eye powers in filler, like Ranmaru.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Teek posted:

Itachi and Obito also wiped out the rest of the Uchiha in one night. So the Sharingan really didn't do the rest of them any good. You just get ultra-hax destiny powering up the remaining few.

Didn't some of the Uchihas not have Sharingan at all? Plus Shisui was already dead, and Itachi's parents and girlfriend sort of accepted their fates.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

I think she was exclusive to the anime (though she may have been adapted from one of the light novels as well).

She was alluded to in the manga, IIRC (Obito claims that Itachi killed "his lover"), but I believe she wasn't named until the LN.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think the worst thing Danzo did was making the Root kids murder each other at the end of their training.

Yeah, that was very hosed up. He also does a lot of other evil and/or stupid things in the anime.

Danzo gets some sympathy pangs too, though, when he dies and he gets a flashback to Tobirama's death, and it's made clear that everything he did was out of loyalty to Tobirama (or at least his image of Tobirama).

I think the only antagonists who don't get any sympathetic motivation or backstory (excluding filler villains) are Mizuki, Hidan, and maybe the Zetsus. I guess Black Zetsu was acting out of love for his mother, and the spiral thingy attached to Obito is kind of adorably childish.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Also pretty much all the kages were portrayed as happily willing to condone or perpetuate war crimes in part 1 and that all got washed away going through part 2.

Not really. In Part 2 it's made fairly clear that Hiruzen enabled Danzo a fair amount (although some of the more extreme examples of this are anime-only), and at one point A whines about how upset the Leaf was about Cloud ninjas trying to rip out a little girl's eyes. Plus we knew nothing about Stone from Part 1, and then when Onoki gets introduced in the Kage Summit one of the first things we learn about him is that he sometimes hired Akatsuki and in general behaved rather belligerently. It is true that all the horrible things Yagura did turned out to be due to mind control, though, and the more sympathetic treatment Gaara's dad gets when he returns as a zombie is really weird.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 16, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I enjoy the gatling gun versus power armor poo poo the manga is currently dealing with. The only thing is the dumb future opening thing we must inevitably lead to cuz otherwise it'd be cool if the age of the ninja really was gradually phased out and eventually it's just a series with people shooting ninja RPGs at each other and poo poo. until it's finally the stealth Mario continuation everyone really wants.

I like the general idea but dislike the most recent chapter because it felt like the protagonists let the redshirt die when they should have been able to beat Ao by all attacking at once.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mymla posted:

She doesn't kill anyone important, but she probably saved a few thousand people with her snail healing stuff in the war. And she made a new arm for Naruto. (Or was that Tsunade? I forget.)

And I guess she punched god once so narusasu could seal her.

Even back in Part I, she saved Naruto's life a couple times.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mymla posted:

I deeply hope they completely remove the latter half of the movie's plot and replace it with something completely different.

Also I don't really get why those fancy new bracer things aren't allowed in the exam. They're just weapons, no different from swords or knives, and they allow those.

For one thing, they were a prototype that no one else had access too (and not because they were less tricky than Boruto, or even because he had access to better resources that he would continue to have access to as a chunin, but because the scientist guy just handed it to him).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Hell, Shippuden was still doing filler arcs and dragging things out after the manga had already ended. Though that was probably due to the fact that the show was popular and they didn't want to risk ending it too soon and losing their time slot.

I think the flashback filler with Kaguya, the Sage, Asura, and Indra served a legitimate purpose in expanding on elements that were handled rather abruptly in the manga, but the filler set inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi was unnecessary, and the filler set in a novel inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi was both a silly idea and a rehash of the Road to Ninja movie.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

Rinnegan gives you new different abilities.

Eternal MS just negates the blindness from the original mangekyo.

I thought EMS also makes your Susanoo better. At the very least, Sasuke's Susanoo changed its appearance when he got EMS.

While we're on the subject of eye powers, I find it interesting that each of them is themed after a different religion: Shinto for the Sharingan, Buddhism for the Rinnegan, and Taoism for the Byakugan. Although Sasuke's Amenotejikara breaks the trend by being named after a Shinto deity despite being a Rinnegan power.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 14, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

Is The Last worth a watch then? Or is just knowing that he was a former villain and appears to care about Boruto now enough on it's own?

It does a decent job of establishing the Naruto/Hinata relationship. It has a few elements that are a bit silly, but I liked it overall.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because it would be "worse" for a Clone to pop at work than at home, arguably. The real problem is he's poo poo at delegation and does all the paperwork himself instead of trusting it to Iruka/Shikamaru etc. The actual amount of paperwork Naruto is vital for is a lot smaller if he has people he trusts to go over most of it for him.

Naruto is bad at managing his own time effectively, news at 11.

This seemed to be a problem for Tsunade and Kakashi too, to be fair. I have no idea how Hiruzen managed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

We never saw Sarutobi actually doing anything but creeping on people with his crystal ball and handing out jobs. Don't think we ever say the First or Second doing any paperwork either.

...poo poo, no wonder Naruto is overworked, he's trying to do 6 kage's worth or paperwork because those lazy fucks never got poo poo done.

I assume things were less formalized in Hashirama's day. And it's not like we see a lot of Hashirama or Tobirama as Hokage anyway.

(We never even learn how Hashirama died. My pet theory is that he was taken down by multiple Kage-level opponents at once, including the First Tsuchikage (mentioned to be a bug user in the anime) who countered his Wood Style with super-termites.)

Edit: Though the line in the anime about the First Tsuchikage's Kamizuru Clan falling from favor doesn't fit with the latter reveal that Onoki is the First's grandson. Though Onoki might not be considered a Kamizuru because the First is his maternal grandfather, or because he doesn't use bug techniques.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 16, 2018