Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"Shikadai" is one of the most awkward and lame anime names I've ever encountered. It just does not roll off the tongue well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

boruto's genin squad is tasked with investigating some shady figures related to a contest for free potato chips/instant noodles for 3 years. so chouchou's involvement naturally follows, along with squadmates inojin and shikadai.

"Inojin" and "Shikadai" are such bad names.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As someone who hasn't read or watched any Boruto, this Kashin fellow is probably Jiraiya's brother or son.

Maybe he's a son from earlier in his life who he failed, and that's why he tried to do good by Naruto as his surrogate father.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I haven't really paid attention to Boruto much at all, but I was reading this new Sasuke thing (which is surprisingly good so far) and the person who does the art for it is WAY better at emulating Kishimoto's style. Something about Boruto's art has always felt vaguely "off" - like the artist themself is skilled but is trying too hard to imitate Kishimoto's style and not fully succeeding.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Kakashi's sharingan, it's still very funny to me how in the Naruto world you can just grab someone's eye and plop it in your empty eye socket and it just works, like there's a USB port or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, they needed a medical ninja to operate on Kakashi, implying that's not how it worked. Madara's just special, likely because of first Hokage cells which are the cheat code of the Naruto world. It *is* extremely funny regardless.

I actually forgot about that part, but doesn't Sasuke just pop in Itachi's eyes?

Edit: He doesn't, I was wrong! This is like the Berenstein bears false memory thing all over again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mamkute posted:

You need to torture someone to death every time you use it. That's pretty universally considered a bad thing.

I had forgotten this, and it makes Kabuto's forgiveness particularly absurd. You can sort of abstract out the deaths from the broader war, but every use of Edo Tensei requiring torture-killing someone is pretty hosed up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That wasn't as bad as I expected; I feel like "getting (literally) backstabbed by a character you thought was friendly" is a pretty reasonable way to be defeated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want Sasuke and Sakura to return to the village with Meno

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

What if it didn't affect Sasuke either, that maybe the Sharingan blocks it? They've been throwing death flags at Sasuke for a while now. Maybe he sacrifices his life to let Boruto get away, and this is how Boruto gains Sasuke's cloak and sword.

I hope this doesn't happen, since I like the new/older Sasuke.

I also like this plot twist (if it really makes sense to call it that) a lot. I'm really curious to see how Boruto will deal with this situation. One of the strengths of this series is that Boruto is actually a significantly different character than Naruto was, so he seems more likely to come up with some sort of plan beyond just "brute forcing" the situation with the power of his convictions. I also think that Kawaki is a pretty compelling villain. He has believable motives, but ones that are obviously still wrong and intertwined with deep personal flaws.

I'm also curious if some other characters might figure out what's going on. I feel like the pieces should be there for someone who isn't immune to still figure out what's happening. A number of characters are familiar with Eida's abilities, so it should be possible to at least get someone to consider the possibility that something like this happened (certain aspects of the story seem like they would fall apart under scrutiny, even if you have a false set of instincts telling you "this guy is Naruto's son" - like Boruto's motive for wanting to kill Kawaki). Shikamaru seems like the most obvious possibility here, though even if it does happen I'm sure it won't be any time soon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Good chapter, but I'm going to need the chapter cover to take it down by at least twenty percent.

It's so loving weird, and not even in a "typical" skeezy manga way. She's drawn like an American beauty pageant girl or something, it's downright bizarre.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how this recent chapter helped to explain exactly how the power works (and why the solution isn't as simple as pointing out the various things that obviously conflict with the new narrative). Sasuke specifically mentions how he can sense the Ootsutsuki in Boruto, which is solid proof that Boruto is who he says he is, but Eida's power is self-reinforcing such that he apparently can't actually persuade himself that this is the case (or at least that, even if he does, it will quickly be undone by the power). So it's only through "adhering to the request of his daughter" that he can even keep up this course of action.

iamsosmrt posted:

I wonder if the identity switch also affects their appearance to every affected person because Shikamaru should be able to figure out something's up after like one walk through Naruto's house.

As mentioned above, the recent chapter basically addresses this. Sasuke directly points out the evidence that Boruto is who he says he is, but the power is self-reinforcing and you can't "defeat" it by simply realizing that its version of reality doesn't make sense. At most you'll feel temporary doubt that is quickly smoothed away by the power.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 21, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the intent of the "this isn't just an illusion" stuff was basically to point out that you can't just "realize it's fake" because the power is directly acting on your thoughts (rather than just the "inputs" to those thoughts). Sasuke helps not because he has been convinced Boruto is Boruto, but because he loves his daughter enough to do something she obviously cares strongly about.

I think there's still the possibility of other characters helping Boruto, but I strongly doubt it will be through "realizing the truth"; if it happens, it'll probably be a result of Sarada's actions in some way, with "trusting friends" simply overpowering "punishing (perceived) enemies."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah I mean, the ramifications for what I'm getting at is how things would potentially unravel for Kawaki pretty quickly once people start talking and asking questions about wtf is happening, especially with Sasuke's actions and however Sarada and Sumire play this.

Like I get it's a reality altering jitsu that basically directly impacts your memories and perception of the two brothers, but there's a whole lot of poo poo that wouldn't pass a minor sniff test that would presumably happen during the course of a time skip.

As I said earlier, I generally expect them to not bother addressing this, but similar situations in other stories would probably have an entire arc of Kawaki tying up loose ends and eliminating more innocents to protect his identity.

That's where the power comes in, though. It apparently makes you not care about any inconsistencies (as shown when Sasuke mentions how, even though he notices these weird things that don't make sense, he can still feel himself caring less and less).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Man that Sasuke side story was cool and ends on a sweet note that actually causes the recent Burito chapter to be better.

I also like that Jiji didn't die, I hate that sort of trope where someone is tragically killed off after being "redeemed."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I see the Boruto artist hasn't stopped being *real loving weird* about Sarada. Cool, cool.

It's so loving weird. Like it's not even skeevy in the same way other manga often are, but instead in this weird "American child beauty pageant" sort of way. Like the intent is to give an "adult" appearance to a child.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scallop Eyes posted:

The Minato oneshot was pretty good,incredible what art Kishimoto can do when he's not doing a weekly series. The facial expressions were expecially nice.

But the most surprising part to me was that the romance parts were really well done, in stark contrast to all the ones in Naruto.

I still respect Naruto for having the character's initial love interest not reciprocate and end up with someone else, just because of how unusual that is. And then he ends up with a supporting cast member.

The actual details of the relationships suck, but also don't receive much focus (except for Sakura/Sasuke I guess).

At least the Sasuke miniseries went a long way towards improving my impression of the Sasuke/Sakura marriage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eeeeh, I mean, while the genre as a whole is bad, there are absolutely other series who handled female characters better than Naruto does. Like people make fun of My Hero Academia, and rightfully so, but it just had an important story moment go between a female co-star comparable to Sakura in importance and a female villain. When was the last time Naruto had a female villain that wasn't treated as a joke? How many moments of importance did Sakura have in the whole series?

I'm re-reading Naruto at the moment, I'm deep into the war arc, and let me tell you, it's *wild* how in some stretches of it, SAI gets to do more stuff than Sakura. There's more Hinata in there, but she's still just emotional support, in spite of the fact that by this point she has proven she's a very competent shinobi.

I think what MHA is doing is, in some ways, even worse, because it's just doing the trope where a female villain needs to be paired with a female hero.

At least Sakura and Chiyo fight a high-tier male opponent. The ending just runs into major problems due to the handful of top-tier characters all being men (I guess ignoring Kaguya, who doesn't really count).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

https://naruto-official.com/en/news/01_1555
https://naruto-official.com/en/news/01_1562

Using science to explore the physics of sand, like being able to harden it with milk, or sodium silicate and carbon dioxide, or turn it into a liquid by pumping air into it, and stopping the flow cases it to thicken (Although thankfully they haven't quite figured out how to increase the pressure to recreate the Sand Coffin)

The second one (which is neater IMO) actually makes a lot of sense. It's just doing something to make the sand more permeable, and then turning that effect off once someone's in it. I feel like I'd get insane claustrophobia from having most of my body immersed in the sand and unable to move.

Probably something you could make actual dangerous traps with IRL; just have a pool of sand with the air pumped into it, drop people into the sand, and turn off the air pumping. Or having a bed of sand, people walk on it, and then turn on the air, causing them to sink, and then turn it back on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Why's it gotta look like a reject PS2 era Final Fantasy design of impracticality.

It's much worse than this IMO. It's not even just a matter of being impractical or inappropriate (which you can see in countless other manga - if anything it's the norm) - it's inappropriate in a really weird and unusual way. The way I've described it in the past is that Sarada is drawn/dressed like a girl at an American beauty pageant. The specific thing that's disturbing and hosed up about it is the way this minor is being dressed up (and posed, etc) like an adult.

That aside, though, the comic has been really good!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Hmm...I think that's intentional by Kawaki though. He doesn't plan on keeping this life. He just needs it to hold together until he has killed all the aliens. Three years later, Kawaki still despises himself.

It does represent his genuine feelings, though. That's what Eida "read" when her ability was used. He may tell himself that it's all about killing the Otsutsuki, but that's bullshit - he genuinely wanted to be in Boruto's shoes.

It's part of what makes the whole situation interesting and compelling IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Good stuff all around. Boruto owns Kawaki, Himawari seems like she might be Relevant and have an ability distinct from Boruto (though I'll be kind of shocked if much happens with this, since Boruto is arguably worse with female characters than original Naruto was).

What's the deal with Boruto's eye? I forget what eye poo poo he has going on. Looks like he was using it to help dodge?