Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Children are the key to immortality. If you don't breed then you are a genetic dead end. Who wants to completely vanish when they die?

Having kids should be a basic human right.

Population has driven all forms of technology, art, and other forms of human progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
This feels like one of those threads where the OP is going to gently caress it up and get it gassed before page three. Prove me wrong, OP.

Anyway having children is not a thing anyone ever needed to justify in the first place. Justify to who?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Bosch posted:

No. Don't have children. It doesn't matter, because someone else will. Suffering will continue to perpetuate. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ildf8jXdM&t=210s

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Dietrich posted:

Well the whole continuation of the species thing is kind of important.

Is it?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Uglycat posted:

I would no poo poo get a vasectomy if I could arrange it.

Vasectomies own.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

It's certainly a basic biological drive. That doesn't mean it's ontologically "important," but if we're going to look at humanity through a strictly materialist lens, doing what we're programmed to do at our deepest levels can be considered pretty important.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
it's not, but also please get help OP

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Children are the key to immortality. If you don't breed then you are a genetic dead end. Who wants to completely vanish when they die?

Having kids should be a basic human right.

Population has driven all forms of technology, art, and other forms of human progress.

Not the part of the population that tends to reproduce anymore. Patent holders, Phds, and other people with strong signifiers of 'intelligence' are less likely to have kids. Also, there is a measurable pressure driving down average IQ, longevity, and general health (IQ is still improving worldwide though due to better nutrition and access to food amongst other things).

I don't know a single guy with a phd that hasn't gotten a vasectomy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think our species is going to die within 30-40 years and I don't really want to bring in more victims of that, OP

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
It depends on if you think there is other intelligent life in the universe. If there is, then the continuation of our species is not terribly important. If there isn't, then there is probably nothing more important.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Blockade posted:

I don't know a single guy with a phd that hasn't gotten a vasectomy.

Sounds like they're not very smart then, eh?

Joking aside, I think it's a bit if a fallacy to equate PhDs with intelligence, and despair that we are doomed to a rising tide of stupidity. Dedication to navigating the world of academia for a decade with dubious personal​ payoff doesn't actually mean you're the best and the brightest. Huge numbers of intelligent people escew graduate degrees because they have other priorities.

Hell, I know farmers who know more about biology, business, and mechanical trades than I ever will, and I know professors who are so far up their own rear end they haven't made any worthwhile contributions to the knowledge base in decades.

We have children because there is no other option. Is it unethical to bring someone into a world of adversity, if the alternative is non-existence? No. 95% of all human existence through history has been poo poo. The whole human story is about being thrust into a world of poo poo and trying to overcome it. Maybe it's a Sisyphean task, but I think there is more triumph than tragedy in making an attempt.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Of course it's justifiable.

Given the unstoppable momentum of the forces quickening the end of the world, I personally wouldn't bring new life into it knowing that it could potentially end in their lifetime, but I'm not about to decide if that decision is right for someone else or not. It's almost a coping mechanism for me that when I see the world "failing" for lack of a better word, I can tell myself that I only need to worry about myself and not how a future generation carrying my genes will survive the Thunderdome.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

but I'm not about to decide if that decision is right for someone else or not.

given the availability and reliability of contraceptive methods, you make this decision for another person when you choose not to use them

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
There are so many children without parents already. Adoption just seems so much kinder than having your own children.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who exactly are we supposed to justify this to?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need another person around in order to decide whether a thing is just or not, but I would suggest that in this instance "your prospective kid" would be a good start.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need another person around in order to decide whether a thing is just or not, but I would suggest that in this instance "your prospective kid" would be a good start.

And if my prospective kid wants to be born?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I like living and I'm glad to be alive.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

something which doesn't exist doesn't want anything op

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

boner confessor posted:

something which doesn't exist doesn't want anything op

By that same logic I don't need to justify anything to them either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Well I would suggest that humans aren't actually fit to make that decision about themselves because of our survival instincts, people, as far as I can tell, will attempt to cognitively minimize their own suffering, subsisting on a seemingly unfounded sense of positivism and optimism.

People try to forget or explain away the bad in their lives but it doesn't stop them experiencing it, only preventing them from acting to remedy it, personally I feel like this is a post-hoc rationalization for our in-built instinct to not die, but whatever the cause I think the effect is fairly plain.

And while you can make many good arguments against killing people "for their own good", I don't think any of them really apply to not creating people in the first place. Not having children is ethical where involuntary euthanasia is not.

Also, like, you can't ask your kid so you shouldn't assume they'd be fine with it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Who exactly are we supposed to justify this to?

somethingawful.com forums

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
No. The human species must end. The sooner the better.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is mandatory sterilization ethical as well?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Who What Now posted:

Ethics are a human invention. No humans = no problem, hth.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Personally I like living but Im really hosed up and I can understand that most people wouldnt want that.

KraftyMattKraft
Mar 28, 2017

LogisticEarth posted:

Joking aside, I think it's a bit if a fallacy to equate PhDs with intelligence, and despair that we are doomed to a rising tide of stupidity. Dedication to navigating the world of academia for a decade with dubious personal​ payoff doesn't actually mean you're the best and the brightest. Huge numbers of intelligent people escew graduate degrees because they have other priorities.
Interesting. I was about to suggest, for the sake of "devil's advocacy," a license that must be obtained to procreate, but then you go and write this. Those that would have the intelligence and qualifications to obtain a reproductive license wouldn't necessarily want to reproduce. Children would only "slow them down."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

In a vacuum, arguably, but not as it's overwhelmingly practiced. And trying it species-wide would probably not actually be achievable.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

For op, yes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

In a vacuum, arguably, but not as it's overwhelmingly practiced. And trying it species-wide would probably not actually be achievable.

What's your reasoning that justifies violating people's bodily autonomy against their will?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

What's your reasoning that justifies violating people's bodily autonomy against their will?

That procreation produces magnitudes more suffering than violation of bodily autonomy. in the same way it's ethical to violate someone's bodily autonomy by arresting them if they show evidence of intent to harm others, it is ethical to do so if they show evidence of intent to create life that will primarily suffer. Bodily autonomy is not inviolable, it is simply desirable to preserve it without a good reason not to.

If you could flip a switch and sterilize the entire planet, it would produce a horrible world, but it would be a very finite amount of horror. A procreating world has far, far more time to endure far, far more horror.

You could also make a somewhat awkward argument that creating life itself is a violation of the bodily autonomy of the created individual, or at least that all subsequent suffering can be traced back to the initiation of that life, incurring a degree of fault at that point, but I would probably not lead with that argument as I don't think it's as strong.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 31, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

That procreation produces magnitudes more suffering than violation of bodily autonomy. in the same way it's ethical to violate someone's bodily autonomy by arresting them if they show evidence of intent to harm others, it is ethical to do so if they show evidence of intent to create life that will primarily suffer. Bodily autonomy is not inviolable, it is simply desirable to preserve it without a good reason not to.

If you could flip a switch and sterilize the entire planet, it would produce a horrible world, but it would be a very finite amount of horror. A procreating world has far, far more time to endure far, far more horror.

You could also make a somewhat awkward argument that creating life itself is a violation of the bodily autonomy of the created individual, or at least that all subsequent suffering can be traced back to the initiation of that life, incurring a degree of fault at that point, but I would probably not lead with that argument as I don't think it's as strong.

Is that not every Final Fantasy games villains reason for doing what they do?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

OwlFancier posted:

You do know that the ultimate conclusion of that logical train is shooting you in the face, right?

I mean misery isn't like gravity, it's not some universal truth. If people are too ignorant or deluded to know how poo poo their life is they aren't actually suffering. You on the other hand have openly come out with the statement that living in the world is horrific. So we can't say that sterilizing the world would be an act of mercy, because we can't actually say that any particular future child would suffer, but we can say that you view the world as full of suffering, and thus killing you would reduce the total of suffering in the world.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Control Volume posted:

I like living and I'm glad to be alive.

Look at this weirdo everyone

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

That procreation produces magnitudes more suffering than violation of bodily autonomy

But what if I am Nozick's utility monster made flesh, and human suffering makes me happy?

Fortunately as a fan of both not having to deal with infants of my own making GBS threads everywhere as well as human suffering, other people will take care of this conundrum for me lol

lol

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
While I'd like to make the OP feel better about nobody wanting to have sex with him/her, I disagree and think we should still have kids. No more than two I guess.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

boner confessor posted:

eh, some population decline would be a good thing. it would be amazing for blue collar labor if all of a sudden you actually had to hunt for people to work at mcdonalds or wherever instead of just sorting through the first dozen applications in the stack for the best looking candidate
Yeah this must be why Japan's economy is just roaring right?

Lol if you think "if we just get rid of tons of people, everyone left will have jobs!" is how economies work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mulva posted:

You do know that the ultimate conclusion of that logical train is shooting you in the face, right?

I mean misery isn't like gravity, it's not some universal truth. If people are too ignorant or deluded to know how poo poo their life is they aren't actually suffering. You on the other hand have openly come out with the statement that living in the world is horrific. So we can't say that sterilizing the world would be an act of mercy, because we can't actually say that any particular future child would suffer, but we can say that you view the world as full of suffering, and thus killing you would reduce the total of suffering in the world.
Except if we conclude that the majority of the non-consensual suffering that is involved in bringing a living being into existence revolves around their eventual death and the immediate beforehand, in which case you would have to conclude that while bringing new lives into existence is morally abhorrent, all existing lives should be kept as long and pain-free as possible.

Crowsbeak posted:

That's mainly because they're terrible at writing villains.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crowsbeak posted:

Not entirely. Some of them (Kefka) are just cackling loons who want to remake the world according to their mad whims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

How are you objectively measuring suffering and horror here?

• Locked thread