Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ethically having kids is a terrible idea but from a practical standpoint there's no way to restrict procreation without threatening the stability of your government. even china's one child policy had tons of loopholes, exceptions, and was a giant pain in the rear end to enforce to the point that they're walking it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't it only a problem if you're in a country with an excessive growth rate? I was under the impression most first world countries hover around ~2 children per couple.

from a population growth standpoint but there are other valid reasons for antinatalism, such as each new person being an environmental burden on the world, the high personal cost of child rearing, and the sheer philosophical brutality of creating a human with no choice to be born and endure an imperfect world full of suffering

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah that is true; I guess a child born in a developed nation inherently creates a bigger environmental burden than one born in a poorer nation. Though it's hard to say if a drastic drop in population growth might lead to more overall suffering due to causing the worldwide economy to collapse.

eh, some population decline would be a good thing. it would be amazing for blue collar labor if all of a sudden you actually had to hunt for people to work at mcdonalds or wherever instead of just sorting through the first dozen applications in the stack for the best looking candidate

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Season 2 has a scene where Vince Vaughn beats a gang leader unconscious and then pulls all his teeth out with a pair of pliers, and somehow manages to make that as boring and terrible as the rest of the season. It's trash and everyone hated it for good reason.

uh the dive bar witch owned

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

but I'm not about to decide if that decision is right for someone else or not.

given the availability and reliability of contraceptive methods, you make this decision for another person when you choose not to use them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

And if my prospective kid wants to be born?

something which doesn't exist doesn't want anything op

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Yeah this must be why Japan's economy is just roaring right?

Lol if you think "if we just get rid of tons of people, everyone left will have jobs!" is how economies work.

https://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/plague/effects/social.php

of course we can't draw a direct distinction and a lot of our more complex consumer economy would suffer if there were a sudden labor shock due to some plague event but we'd certainly deal with structural un/underemployment and stagnating wages in the face of some moderate population loss. it's just simple economics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this thread was better when it was about true detective season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I've yet to find a case where that is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygiLUrJJjnM

• Locked thread