Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Children are the key to immortality. If you don't breed then you are a genetic dead end. Who wants to completely vanish when they die?

Having kids should be a basic human right.

Population has driven all forms of technology, art, and other forms of human progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Blockade posted:

Not the part of the population that tends to reproduce anymore. Patent holders, Phds, and other people with strong signifiers of 'intelligence' are less likely to have kids. Also, there is a measurable pressure driving down average IQ, longevity, and general health (IQ is still improving worldwide though due to better nutrition and access to food amongst other things).

I don't know a single guy with a phd that hasn't gotten a vasectomy.

PhD s terrible parents and should all get vasectomies. I'm not sure what point you trying to make here. Lol at the ideas that people with "signifiers of intelligence" have more of a right to breed.

If Idiocracy was a movie about only the upper class having kids the resulting society would be no less dysfunctional.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

OwlFancier posted:

I think if you're going to you should probably be able to expect that their lives will be enjoyable. And if you can't, I think that's kind of unethical.

Happiness is intrinsic. How can anyone be expected to decide for someone else what an enjoyable life is?

No one can predict whether someone's life will be enjoyable or not before they are born.

What a silly argument.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

OwlFancier posted:

I can probably take a guess based on my material circumstances what the circumstances of my children are likely to be, and I can probably suggest that if they haven't given me a super good life, maybe they won't give my kids one either.

Unless you're suggesting that quality of life is literally a dice roll and has no heritable factors or environmental basis whatsoever, in which case, well, I wholly disagree.

Rain was good the last couple of years, the lambs are getting fat and few are stillborn. I am getting a good price for eggplant, and the house has a newly thatched roof. The local school just got a new generator, and there hasn't been a war since I was a child. My childrens will likely have a happy life.

I'm not maxing out that 401k like I should, the price of rent in this city is crazy and I'm not even halfway towards a down payment on a decent home. What with my wife's student loans not paid off, and the whole Trump thing, I just don't think I could give my children a happy existence. I mean, our school district not even in the top ten in the city.

• Locked thread