Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah these games are brutal. Just use cyber elves if you need to. Having subtanks and HP ups goes a long way.

Though the final boss is straight up easier than any of the starting bosses. Except for maybe the polar bear guy.

Oh and IIRC you can collect items with the boomerang shield.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Glazius posted:

I had forgotten how much of an rear end-kicking they kept handing out in these games. So much death.

It is BRUTAL. I never beat 3 or 4 on a cartridge because it was so difficult, had to resort to emulators back in the day.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I remember playing MM Zero 1.

The gradings at the end of the stages drove me absolutely insane so I S ranked everything, beat the game and swore never to play it again because I can't loving help myself.

Likewise, though here I am again, ha. Definitely not aiming to S-Rank anything, but I've full-cleared the series in the past. Was NOT EASY.

Not falling behind this time, we're actually catching up! Still rocking two-a-weekday through to next Friday to get us back on track, but that just means we won't spend WEEKS trying to get through this game! Let's get ourselves through to the intermission, yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYVuDy_rOk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIf9x4PUn8k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwl_W6NMDk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sE0uhT4so4

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this is a pretty elaborate stage. I suppose it is the midgame so they can have a big elaborate midstage.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Getting horrible flashbacks to that boss. Trying to A rank or whatever his stage and didn't realise for a long time there was a flash to show which was the real Phoenix, which made it basically impossible for a while.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ahahahaha I see you're still enjoying BN4. Oh boy the Asteroid Computer. Yeah, welcome to hell. Everything here sucks. You can escape from the electromagnetic warp by mashing the absolute gently caress out of your A button. "But I did it and-" you need to do it harder. This dungeon bruised the hell out of my thumb when I was a kid. That's how much you need to mash.

Bomboys sucks. HEY GUYS WANNA KNOW WHAT'S FUN??? HANDIES EXCEPT WORSE! I really have no tips for them besides take out the rest of the viruses first, since they're usually too slow to matter. I didn't know they instantly warp back when their box is destroyed, even if they were in long sword range. That's loving quality.
Wallas suck. They are there for area denial and just to waste your time.
CirKills suck. They instantly fire at you when you're on the same row. Holy poo poo they can output some loving damage for a regular encounter. My game also, in the final stretch, ensured I'd run into two of these fuckers, making me lose like a third of my HP cause I was bad at video games. Every time. Without fail.

At least the music's good.

DarkCannon is Muramasa in Cannon form. Its dmg is your (MAX HP)-(CURRENT HP) capped at 999. Dark Chips reduce your Max HP by 1. You can see the problem with this, especially since Muramasa is in the game.
All other DarkChips have fixed damage or effects, for better or worse.

If you have trouble with the final boss, pick up the Airshoes NCP.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 2, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

AnEndcat posted:

Getting horrible flashbacks to that boss. Trying to A rank or whatever his stage and didn't realise for a long time there was a flash to show which was the real Phoenix, which made it basically impossible for a while.

Worst part is, I think the RetroN is struggling with that flash effect. Sometimes, I can JUST BARELY see that something is different, but it's an incomplete flicker, so sometimes I just miss it altogether :\ We had similar issues with Kirby's Dream Land 3.

SSNeoman posted:

Ahahahaha I see you're still enjoying BN4. Oh boy the Asteroid Computer. Yeah, welcome to hell. Everything here sucks. You can escape from the electromagnetic warp by mashing the absolute gently caress out of your A button. "But I did it and-" you need to do it harder. This dungeon bruised the hell out of my thumb when I was a kid. That's how much you need to mash.

Yep, we did eventually find that out. Had no idea it was even an option at all, we just thought it was an unavoidable cutscene. Came SO CLOSE to getting through the whole thing without needing to escape at all!

SSNeoman posted:

At least the music's good.

Truth. The music in this game is pretty fantastic. The Vampire Manor PC theme is excellent.

SSNeoman posted:

DarkCannon is Muramasa in Cannon form. Its dmg is your (MAX HP)-(CURRENT HP) capped at 999. Dark Chips reduce your Max HP by 1. You can see the problem with this, especially since Muramasa is in the game.

That's such an intriguing chip... it's the only chip I can think of that gets worse the more it's used, across the entire game. Obviously Dark Chips are bad at all, but still.

SSNeoman posted:

If you have trouble with the final boss, pick up the Airshoes NCP.

DULY NOTED. I'll keep an eye out!

So the catchup week is in full effect, though I can say that we have in fact recorded enough to catch up fully this week. There should be no more double days for a while, if we can help it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsdE6mgIfJs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrSXKrvNvw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M96gqMEGYyU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gofhz3zVmQI

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The AirShoes NCP is sold by the Bugfrag merchant in undernet 4.

DarkLance and DarkSword also have a special damage calculation.

DarkLance takes the highest HP of the enemy on the field, and then goes (Current Enemy HP/2) truncated to 999.
DarkSword takes the highest enemy HP and makes its damage equal to it truncated to 500.

MMBN5 kinda stops doing that kind of thing with DarkChips, giving them flat damage and consistent effects (DarkPlus likes to pretend it has a special formula since its image has "ATK+??" but it's just +50 damage)
But the thing is if you use Chaos Soul Unisons, you get to keep the base effects from the Soul Unison. If you get good at using them, the effects are stupid good.

ChaosKnightSoul lets you use DarkDrill with impunity. If you area grab and then pull off the charge shot, you become invincible for the duration of the chip while your opponent takes 100 damage 6 times.
ChaosTomahawkSoul lets you use a grass panel to double the damage of DarkLance (which does a flat 400 damage in this game). 800 damage to the entire back column per charge is loving lol especially since you can prob pull off 3 of them when your opponent only has his back column.
ChaosShadowSoul lets you use DarkInvisible while also having OmniShoes. 30 seconds of invincibility and if you have been using PAs consistently your berserk Megaman will pull them out one after another.
ChaosNumberSoul lets you add +50 to chips which ALSO stacks with NumberSoul's innate +10 dmg increase. SuperVulcan does 10*(12 hits)=120 as its base, with one charge shot it does (10+60)*12=840 dmg. Same story for Drill chips.
ChaosSearchSoul can make the entire back column take 3*300=900 damage per charge if your opponent is area locked.
ChaosProtoSoul is a LifeSword on command.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 2, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You're eating a whole lot of normal bullets. You've got that boomerang shield for a reason.

That said, I like that they've tried to keep with the Zero 1 thing where a lot of missions built on the areas from previous ones.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

ricdesi posted:

Worst part is, I think the RetroN is struggling with that flash effect. Sometimes, I can JUST BARELY see that something is different, but it's an incomplete flicker, so sometimes I just miss it altogether :\ We had similar issues with Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Yeah I couldn't make it out in the video; honestly thought it was the recording software or I was just going blind. That's basically hard mode right there.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

You're eating a whole lot of normal bullets. You've got that boomerang shield for a reason.

VALID. I wish it was a separately-equippable thing à la Zelda, but I should be using that as my sub-weapon when I don't need something else.

Glazius posted:

That said, I like that they've tried to keep with the Zero 1 thing where a lot of missions built on the areas from previous ones.

I think it's a clever (and sensical) way of using the levels, for sure! Also helps keep the size of the game down, since they need half as many level sprites.

AnEndcat posted:

Yeah I couldn't make it out in the video; honestly thought it was the recording software or I was just going blind. That's basically hard mode right there.

Yeup. I think the best solution there would have been to use charged Saber shots and turn around quickly (since the blast follows Zero, even though that makes absolutely no sense).

And now, we're on to the Armed Phenomena! This is getting a little Power Rangersy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5In6N7x2-3U https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4JV4aaPr0

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I was always divided on this part. On the one hand the boss models are neat, on the other hand, goddamn is this silly. I think the whole point of these though is to show how the Guardians are being affected by the Dark Elf's awakening

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So let's talk about this final boss. It's bizarre and the final form feels about as challenging as Yu Yevon with a pocketful of Phoenix Downs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpxU2Gw-4XA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Xo-5fn3N4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwihDumarxA

I actually REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoyed the first phase of the fight. Elpizo is SUPER in your face, moreso than Copy X in the first Zero game, and then... that Dark Elf form just... no. No. No. A huge arena was a giant mistake here, I had way too much room to maneuver around attacks that mostly stayed local to him, or otherwise moved so slowly that they were no issue at all to dodge. The only attack that hit me was a FAST move that whipped across the whole room. I... was thoroughly expecting that boss battle to take more tries.

So uh... that's it for the Mega Man Zero series for the time being (since we're currently playing Mega Man X7, may god have mercy on our souls). I might be making a thread for the "third X trilogy" since those are bound to bring some colorful commentary from the fold. But this thread will come back when Mega Man Zero 3 does (and I inevitably cry myself to sleep).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yo Rick real quick if you still have the save file from your first game clear, load that poo poo and head to Undernet 4. You can see an event which gives you a thing and also GunDelSol3, letting you make the PA.

You can then use the thing to get :swoon:Bugstopper:swoon: from a BMD. Which is the only redeeming thing about BN4 since it lets you poo poo on the NaviCust rules.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

poo poo, I've definitely already started Game 2 and saved :[ I will absolutely keep that in mind this time around though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:rip:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

PRAY FOR ME

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Least you have seen most of the cutscenes so you can just skip them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Least you have seen most of the cutscenes so you can just skip them.

No joke, this is the Battle Network game where I learned about the select button. loving Duo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SSNeoman posted:

No joke, this is the Battle Network game where I learned about the select button. loving Duo.

Rick did not know ether and this was the game I discovered it as well. (But this was also my first Battle Network game as well. How I loved the series is a mystery, maybe because of the anime that airing at the same time and the fact I was young.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if something was originally supposed to happen in that fight, like the floor drop away, but it turned out to be just too drat impossible. It seems like Dark Elfpizo just gives you way too many drat free hits.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You can use Higsby's Chip Order system to get more GunDelSol chips. Replace your Ball chips with those (Cannonball was never a good chip). I'd also pick up Magnum from the same place and replace a Crackout chip since you only use those for Soul Unisons, but at least those come in * codes.

66703422 this gives you Recover J and 88019791 gives you TwinFang G. You can then by a second from Higsby's chip order. Just don't use Recover50s anymore lol.

If you ever pick up SuperVulcan, use 77038416 to get AirHockey3 V.

GunDelSol1 G x2, GunDelSol2 G x2, GunDelSolEx G, TwinFang G x2, LongBlade G x2 (from Higsby's regular stock and Chip Order) and a few more G codes should streamline your folder a lot. You can also pick up GunDelSol1 and GunDelSol2 from the overworld again on New Game +.

Combine that with SuperVulcan V (From Higsby's regular stock), Airhockey x2 V and Magnum V x2 will give you a mostly two-code folder. Take out VariableSword. It's powerful and has a V code but it's hard to use. Like I don't use the VariableSword series cause I suck at fighting game inputs.

S codes are another option. You can get Sword S by the bucket, WideBlade S and LongBlade S from the chip order. Though this is kind of...whatever imo.

Throw in the usual * codes like a few Invisibles, a few Atk+10 for the SuperVulcan, a few AreaGrab *s and I guess CrackOut as well. That should give you about 20-25 chips. Use the other spots for Recover150s/Recover 300s or whatever other off-code chips you like.

Mind you this will run you a cool 150k-200k zenny :(

LifeSword also has a 2x3 range, so use it whenever the guy isn't on the back column. I notice you waiting until guys are right in front of you before you use it. Don't, just press A whenever they move off the back row.
You can also make Lifesword with Sword-WideBlade-LongBlade

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Zero 3 is my favorite Zero game, so I'm looking forward to that.

• Locked thread