Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Its nice to see people playing my favorite game series. How open are you guys to advice and what is the stance on spoilers in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

ricdesi posted:

John doesn't swing 'round these parts, and I've already played through the Zero series in high school, so spoilers are fine, so long as they're marked!

Nice to hear then.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Mechaniloids don't tend to be humanoid at all.

Pretty much they are true Robots while Reploids have emotions and such.

Also repliods are built based off of X's body.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well based off his design. Chill Penguin is a Reploid as well.

I am fond of the Mythos Reploids that serve as the bosses for Zero. (Called mythos cause their designs are based on mythology.)

Yeah. I'm really used to reploids from the Zero series and ZX series so I tend to forget that Reploids aren't just human robots and that there are or were Animal-like reploids.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Wa11y posted:

I'm not sure how this carries over to the other games, but I just played through the collected version again recently, and if you go into the menu, there's a option for controls. I think it's....Type C? There's one that lets you switch between the main and sub weapon by pressing R, instead of having to hold it down. Makes it a lot easier to switch between weapons and charge them up, since you don't have to hold a button down to use the weapon, then hold another button down to charge it.

There's also a control scheme that has the r button as the sub weapon button. Just press the r button and you use your sub weapon, no need to hold r and press b to use it.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
And honestly even with grinding enough e-crystals to level up all of the cyber-elves, getting all cyber-elves, and maxing out your weapons, the game doesn't get that much longer. My normal mode file where I did all of that and finished the game is only a little over 12 hours long.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
It's nice to see you guys start on 2 and I have to say that the opening stage for 2 is one of my favorites due to the way they show the player how the one year of constant fighting has taken its toll on Zero. Zero is constantly in his damaged sprite throughout the level even when you have full health, the pause menu itself has taken a fair amount of damage, and he only has the saber and his buster at their base level with no other weapons. All of that along with the few images shown at the start paint a picture of a powerful warrior worn down by constant battle and I love it.

On the subject of cyber elves, using them doesn't make the game harder, it makes it easier. Which is why the only punishment for using them is a point deduction in your end of level score which can give you a lower rank. Of course having a lower rank means that you won't get ex skills in 2 and 3 but that's all it means. And about ex skills, they aren't new weapons that you can get from bosses, they are weapon skills that you can use. They don't really make the game easier and you actually end up making the game more difficult for yourself if you try to get them, since you will need to keep your rank at A rank or above and when you do that the bosses get extra moves to use doing their fight. They're nice if you get them but I wouldn't suggest you guys try to go after them.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Glazius posted:

Ah, now it gets pretty neat. Good proof of concept in the first game and they iterated on it pretty well.

I think every elf that gets used ends up counting for rank, and maybe it's the next game that actually lets you equip elves for passive bonuses without hurting your rank? Not sure how well I'm remembering there.

Yep, Zero 3 has satellite elves which you can equip to get the benefits without using the elf and hurting your rank. And Zero 4 has an entirely different system for the elves.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
I remember understanding the cyber elf system pretty easily when I started but I'm not sure how much of that was the game explaining it i a way I could understand and how much of it was the game guides I was reading to find all of the cyber elves.

Also the cyber elf mechanic never seemed like a core mechanic to me. It always seemed to be a thing to do on the side since I never used elves unless I had to to unlock something, which I think was only in this game.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
If you're having a problem with lives, you can farm the desert level to get more. You can also grind out your weapon levels there so you aren't stuck with unchargeable weapons during the levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

AnEndcat posted:

I managed to completely forget that you had to unlock the chargeable Z-saber in the first two(?) games. Probably a good part of the reason 3 and 4 are so much easier.

Being able to charge it from the beginning doesn't really make them easier, it just makes it so you don't need to waste time grinding out the weapon levels.

• Locked thread