Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Analysis: Game is good. Recommended: Obtain the game "NieR: Automata" and support Yoko Taro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I'm glad I headed here right after seeing the video pop up on my YouTube alerts. This is going to be quite the ride.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
1 out of 26 endings achieved.

And to think, none of them require getting every weapon in the game and upgrading to max!

I mean, the sidequests are still all kinds of hosed up, but that's why we follow this mad bastard and let him make games anyways.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
This game is surprisingly short so maybe this won't drain my soul

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Whamukars posted:

This game is surprisingly short so maybe this won't drain my soul

It will drain your soul in a very different way. I litteraly sat on my floor and thought about life for a bit after beating it.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
For once I have played the game to (near) completion before the LP so I can have some fun watching the reactions in the thread.

basically watching someone figure out this game is a combo of :jerky: and :getin: and it's great

Lord Licorice posted:

Same. The Drakengard and NieR LPs made me fall in love with moon-masked madman Taro's complex, bittersweet universe, connecting in a way I'd never have through straight video LPs or simple summaries.

I am incredibly pumped to read this LP, and super, super glad to be here for its beginning.

Thirding this. I really didn't have the means to play the original games so it was Id's LP's that got me pumped for Automata.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Best part of Nier: Automata? None of those filthy, job-stealing wyverns.

And everything else, but mostly that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gonna be a while before I can pick this up myself but I wouldn't miss this thread for anything.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I didn't expect this to come out so quickly.

Maybe this will help me get through the six weeks before I get to play this myself. :unsmith:

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Analysis: NieR: Automata is the best game. Dark Id is the Best Let's Player.
Conclusion: This is going to be fantastic.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I don't know how or why.
But I think I'm going to cry.
Cause we're stuck here, once again.
On Taro Yoko's wild ride.

Also nthing that this game is amazing and absolutely worth every dollar I spent on it. It's nuts to think that the guy who made Drakengard went on to make this, but here we are.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This game is so goddamn good and I'm so happy to see this already up. I'm looking forward to being aboard the Dark Id- Yoko Taro ride knowing what's coming for once.

As for those that don't know, the soundtrack is available digitally. Do not look into it if you don't know anything about the game, because titles are spoilers.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

Do not look into it if you don't know anything about the game, because titles are spoilers.

And don't look at achievements on Steam! ... or Steam cards.

Goddamnit Steam.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Uh, poo poo, a TDI LP for a game I was considering playing in the future myself. I really do want to play it, but I still haven't gotten very far in Tales of Berseria. And my brother got me a birthday gift of FFXV, which I'm honestly not all THAT interested in (to think that I would one day have that opinion of a Final Fantasy game. Dark times!), but it was a gift so I'm at least going to try it out. And I've got Persona 5 on pre-order so that'll be a thing in the coming weeks. So my schedule is booked for at least a month or two, probably longer, Berseria is really good and P5 is reportedly a sexily good game too.

So now I'm torn between holding off on reading this for when I actually play it or saying "Screw it" and reading anyway.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Basically, don't look anywhere but this thread.

Though if the trend holds, Id will have to lock this thing like 20 times due to either stupid fights, weird idolization of the guy, untagged spoilers, or general annoyance at how loving stupid goons are

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This game is absolutely fantastic, and I easily recommend anyone interested in this game to go play it for themselves if they can. It's worth it.

Really looking forward to seeing how you're tackling the game in this lp. :allears:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am glad that the Drakkengard universe of all loving things is still going.

Shine on you insane cannibal baby apocalypse diamond.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A quality LP of a contemporary game I can actually play along with? Nice.

One thing I'm hoping you'll touch on is the sheer breadth of the supplementary material the series produces. Where does it all come from? Why does it even exist? 'Sleeper hit' is too generous a description for most of these games, yet the first Nier seemed to get more of it than most mainline JRPG entries. There's even a stage play for God's sake.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

It begins.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

And. Here. We. Go

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Oh, cool! Glad to see another LP from you, TDI! Will be keeping tabs on this as I play ahead.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I can't wait to see where this goes. I'm sure this will be a happy light-hearted story with good times for all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This game is great, did not expect an equally great TID LP of it ever, so that's a nice surprise. Looking forward to seeing what the thread does to cause the first closing!

Zr388
Jan 15, 2011

It's like taking your dog fishing with you. If it jumps in the water it'll scare all the fish away, so you have to drop a rockslide on him.
I am so incredibly excited to see this LP after reading through your play-by-play on twitter. I take it like the others you'll be getting all of the endings and weapons and such? Considering you already did it once I'm looking forward to getting a guide on where the heck some of my missing stock is.

Godspeed brave warrior!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Oh god yes, I read the first nier LP a while ago and when I saw yoko taro walk out on stage a friend and I collectively lost our poo poo when we saw his name, and then platinum.

I expected the world of this game and it lived up to my standards.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I am really looking forward to this. This game is absolutely excellent.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"Requesting permission to do things that would have kept a lot more of us alive a bit longer." Good to see Other M protocols being maintained.

I've just finished my first playthrough of this although I missed a few sidequests and items by accidentally advancing the plot a few too many times. Really good game though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am super, super ready for this LP.

Thanks for doing what you do TDI

Kain_Alexious
May 14, 2008
Oh this is happening already? Wonderful. It's going to be a great few months.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If you must know the dodge button on the keyboard is double tapping the direction.
It works surprisingly well due to the mentioned i-frames... that is if they actually work, not sure if you supposed to stop shooting to dodge on controller as well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I was waiting for this. Excellent.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Arriving at destination: ground floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

I can't wait for the next 'loving this poo poo' moment to hit.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
gently caress YEAH! Yoko Taro finally getting a well recognized good game is awesome. TDI gushing about it one last time makes it even better!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I played the first Drakengard near launch and was overwhelmed with the madness and never finished it. Then I found TDI's LP of it on the archive and read the subsequent games and Nier.

But always after he was done. Saw the highlight reel get uploaded and man, a chance to watch the madness unfold in real time? Sign me the gently caress up. I can't wait to see what weird poo poo Yoko Taro creates and how he weaves this into the other games.

Fingers crossed for a new level 'loving this poo poo.'

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Uh, poo poo, a TDI LP for a game I was considering playing in the future myself. I really do want to play it, but I still haven't gotten very far in Tales of Berseria. And my brother got me a birthday gift of FFXV, which I'm honestly not all THAT interested in (to think that I would one day have that opinion of a Final Fantasy game. Dark times!), but it was a gift so I'm at least going to try it out. And I've got Persona 5 on pre-order so that'll be a thing in the coming weeks. So my schedule is booked for at least a month or two, probably longer, Berseria is really good and P5 is reportedly a sexily good game too.

So now I'm torn between holding off on reading this for when I actually play it or saying "Screw it" and reading anyway.

FFXV and Nier are pretty similar in a lot of ways, but Nier is miles ahead. There's some fantastic stuff in here that works because it's a videogame, so if you get the opportunity to play it before you get spoiled on it then I'd take it. It's really, really worth it.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I am hype for this, and ready for the soul-crushing depression I suspect a sequel to Nier will give me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I was really hoping you'd LP this given how much I enjoyed your previous Yoko Taro LPs and it's already gold :allears:

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
While I somehow found Nier by myself in late 2010, it wasn't until I stumbled upon your Drakengard LP a year later that I became fully entrench in all things Yoko Taro. Hell, by my count, you have probably been his most effective salesperson over the last decade.

I'm really glad you returned for this, Id. I began to think Setsuna would be your last LP for years to come. You're my favorite Lper on this site, and responsible for a lot of laughs and injokes between me and my brother. We both ended up buying copies of Automata, and we're each about 70-80% of the way through.

Back when this was announced, we couldn't believe it was a project that could exist, let alone be given to a competent developer like Platinum. Even now, I can't believe the game is as amazing as it is, almost 50 hours in. While I've been a fan of Nier and Drakengard 3, I admit that those games are poorly made and saved only by a combination of music, aesthetic, and writing. Yoko Taro has finally hit a grand slam after years of walks, and I could not be more proud. I hope the goober gets plenty more development opportunities in the years to come. Which means you'll also be shackled to the man in turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

TDI's Drakengard 1 LP might have been my first LP, ever, and it was a terrifying joy. After a very rough week, I am incredibly excited to be on the ground floor of this thread. I can't wait to see how this game manages to be great, but just as crazy as the others.

Edit: "Permission to not die?" "Permission granted!" exchanges are always hilarious to me, this is a dang good start.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 30, 2017

• Locked thread