Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I can't wait to see where this goes. I'm sure this will be a happy light-hearted story with good times for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Oh boy, knowing that the weapon stories are back is just the cherry on the sundae.

Slaughterism. It just rolls off the tongue so well.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So all the talk about the OST and the few tracks we've heard so far are kind of really making me want to listen to the whole thing right the hell now. Are there any spoilers in track names or anything like that?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Haedrin posted:

There absolutely are. I don't know how numerous, but I looked up one that I remembered being pretty notable and it had a pretty big spoiler.

Mindblast posted:

I think there's a few spoilery ones, and some that may hint a little at things if you're keen. So I suggest you stay away, personally. However if you do listen to this through the 'tubes keep in mind it will begin populating recommendations to other Nier video's and lord knows that will contain spoilers. Also people in the comments will openly discuss whatever they want because A they're pricks and B usually people don't resort to ost's until they already finished up so they don't expect newcomers to get in there.

alternatively, you can wait and play the music when it fits what is going on. Closest to experiencing it like the game. Part of the magic is getting the tracks in the proper context.

Thanks. The Youtube stuff I kind of expected, so I would have just bought the OST to avoid this. But if there's spoilers in the track titles themselves (which I kind of expected), then I guess I don't have a choice except waiting for this thing to end before I can give the album a listen.

This is going to be agonizing. I suppose I'll just have to set Gods Bound by Rules on repeat until then or something.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

Unrelated: I was totally going to post this thread on April 1st originally. My wife talked me out of being a total fuckhead. :v:

That's frankly more than we deserve considering all the avatars, general dipshittery, and encouragement towards clearly harmful behavior like playing Dirge of Cerberus we've encouraged over the years.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm definitely getting some Metal Gear Excelsus vibes from that dude's alternate squish attacks. It doesn't seem to have a pilot though so it can't really compete with Excelsus in terms of best boss fight. Still, A for effort there.

Oh, and speaking of Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts surplus supply, you ever finished going through darkness-sora-goofy-donald cutscene hell?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Omobono posted:

Let your country control your mind
Let your country control your soul

What? Rules of Nature doesn't apply here, we didn't slice Engel in half with our sword, we used his arm.
Does that count as reappropriating the means of production by the way?

Yeah, I said I was getting Excelsus vibes from this thing before this update, but now they pretty much went for a straight up reference with that part.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
No no, that doesn't work. Caim's the mute one, not the dragon.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I hope we find out more about the aliens that invaded and their motivation for apparently just dumping a bunch of stubby little guys (and other machines) on Earth and calling it a day. And why they didn't finish the job by doing the same thing with the moon. I guess they're better armed there, what with all the harpoons for whaling.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

warhammer651 posted:

Probably cycling between high-intensity periods of conflict to seize ground/repel concentrated machine assaults and periods of lower intensityl raiding and skirmishing where both sides are rebuilding their forces for the next Big Push

Considering that humans have space stations and stuff, and the machines apparently don't or at least can't destroy them, I think they're really over-complicating the whole thing by sending androids down when they could just bomb the machines from orbit.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

warhammer651 posted:

I mean, they probably want the planet to still be livable when the war's over, which requires an intact biosphere, and WMD's have a tendency to gently caress those up so...

I'm not saying they have to glass the entire planet. But everything 2B did in that first level could have been accomplished by dropping a big rock on the facility from orbit. A really big rock. Or a nuclear warhead if you're feeling fancy. Which come to think of it is sort of equivalent to what 2B and 9S did in the end, except with a lot more trouble for no reason.

I'm starting to think the whole YoRHa androids thing is just a millennia long scheme to funnel money into the pocket of some defense contractor on the moon.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

I'm just saying, if a grain harvester ever tried to murder me I would never trust a farm again.

Unfortunately for you, from what I understand all farm machinery consists of at least 75% spinning blades and exposed gears, and murdering farmers is second nature to those mechanical nightmares.

Do not trust farms.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Alavaria posted:

Or... something worse like a massive white giant thing's dust works as fertilizer and general cleaning agent.

Watchers' brand White Powder is an all-purpose powder which can be used to remove all sentient life from planets, give magic powers, immortality, and more!

Watchers' brand White Powder has been known to cause: impalement, white chlorination syndrome, red eyes, end of civilization, drunk androids, soul/body dissociation, wolf attacks, life in the sands, endless daylight, unfortunate misunderstandings, stopping, shithogs, being retroactively erased from existence, and death. Do not use Watchers' brand White Powder if pregnant or under 14 years old.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I never knew I wanted to pet Wesker before, but here we are. It's an incredibly strange mental image and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Defective, because if you stay in the clearly indicated path of an incoming huge fuckoff laser beam, you are defective.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if you think that Drakengard or Nier were "relatively normal games", either you've forgotten about a good chunk of them, or you've got terminal Yokotarosis.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Alavaria posted:

Maybe next time he'll use a levitating Force Choke instead!

(Sadly, it would probably be on a kid too, oh well)

I just realized that if everyone in this game is an android or a machine, faceless moon humans excluded, it will be very difficult to reach the usual child-killing quotas. Even in Drakengard 3 that had to be pushed to the DLCs. So I guess we're left with only the weapon stories this time.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
You can get 100% achievements, or you can keep your dignity. Choose wisely.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
loving christ, all the love for android Jackass is making me feel like there's gonna be something really wrong involving her at some point. Like, the entire thing was planned by noted mastermind Yoko Taro so that when this LP and thread would pop up, people who'd played the game would swoon over her, so that the rest of us poor schmucks would figure something was wrong, but otherwise have no loving idea what exactly that is and so have no choice but to be paranoid about everything.

This is the level of sheer distrust I'm at right now. This is what Yoko Taro does. The whole "let's put a sound that can't be heard by senile old farts in the game" thing is just a way to add even more confusion to the whole experience.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well the D3 DLC is definitely necessary if you want to do the right thing and put an end to the elven menace.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ultrafilter posted:

Remember, it's not manslaughter if they aren't human!

This is objectively correct.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
2B and 9S can't be the baddies. I mean, the machines don't have skulls to harvest and wear. So there's no problem at all there!

Zero did collect skulls if I remember well, but she wasn't wearing them, just selling them, so that was also totally cool.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Caim did nothing wrong. I mean, when you get down to it, he ended up saving the world. Well, a world. He kind of hosed up another in the process, but hey, that wasn't intended. The main problem the protagonists of Drakengard and Nier tend to have is unintended consequences arising from their actions, not outright malicious intent. We'll see if this game goes in the same direction.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

I forget, did Drakengard 3 ever establish why the flower was bad other than the six giant salt women at the end

It let an idiot like Cent indirectly use magic which led to hilarious consequences for all involved.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
But then she got eaten by babies, so that cancels out!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
If there was ever a way to introduce a giant baby to a game, this should have been it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

I'm confused on whether this should be allowed to continue or not.

I know right? The first Nier was clearly in the "No one stops!" camp, but now there's all this. This series isn't very consistent.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Qrr posted:

Yes. Listen to it. It is glorious and amazing.

I love the music in this game. Except for the default resistance camp music. Boo, resistance camp.

It really is a great track. Possibly my favorite since the hit single "My Name is Mikhail" by Mikhail.

I really wish I could get the drat OST right now, but people were pretty clear that there were spoilers there when I asked...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KamikazePotato posted:

There's a war going on, son. Every filthy machine left alive is a machine you'll need to reduce to scrap later on anyway.

Suffer not the machine to live.

Well they're not alive in the first place but you get what I mean.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Haystack posted:

So in Nier 1 when the replicants cleaned up the white chlorination particles, how did they dispose of it? Did they, by any chance, shoot it into space? :tinfoil:

Probably some other dimension, hopefully the Drakengard one, but let's be honest, probably just some random dimension which is gonna get hosed over. The Nier humans likely don't give a poo poo about that.

Meanwhile, the Watchers, they laugh. Lalalalala.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Eldritch entity discovers one weird tip to get free trans-dimensional trips! Humans hate it!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
This is the most boring use of such an ability I've ever heard. You are the most boring person.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Accord must be making a boatload of cash with her trans-dimensional arms dealing thing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

megane posted:

This really struck me when 9S says this on first seeing Adam: "An android? No, it's a machine!" Android is the perfect word for what Adam is: a humanoid robot. Heck, even the stubbies are androids, really. But they're not ~our~ kind of android, so they get called machines instead.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure if Adam even is a machine or android, honestly. He seemed significantly more bleed-y than anything else we've seen so far.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KamikazePotato posted:

The game pretty well incentivizes you to go on a murderous rampage throughout the Amusement Park; or at the very least, the murder the Party Tank. The androids are in a pretty brutal war with the machines, as shown in the opening mission where everyone except 2B - and including the 'original' 9S - dies. Every android you meet who talks about the situation has no sympathy for machines whatsoever. You just got done investigating a pile of android corpses that led to a veritable army of machines that gave birth to dickless Sephiroth. Then 9S and the machine right before the Party Tank tell you that it needs to go down. Ignoring it is kind of an abnormal decision to make, which 9S more or less points out after you leave the area.

Yeah but we've been sent to this place to investigate missing resistance members, not fight machines. Union rules say 2B and 9S only have to do what they've been asked to.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
People worrying about details like "oh god what is this Adam dude about" or "are machines really this mindless" or "does it matter if I'm turbo-Hitler for killing the Party Tank" are just the best. I know full well none of this matters, and in the end, what we do doesn't matter because we will all be turbo-Hitler thanks to our lord and savior Yoko Taro.

All Hail.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Eh, sort of. Ish. Close enough when the alternative is the Watchers.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Nah, turns out all those weapons have human souls trapped in them.

Actually that's probably true for real for like half of them already so maybe that's not that big of a twist.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Current probability of us eventually having to murder every peaceful machine in this village as they beg us to stop: roughly 101%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So I finally broke down and bought this game. And a controller to play it. And a new graphics card to run it. gently caress me...

Can't wait to inevitably and unknowingly commit heinous crimes against everything good left in the world!

• Locked thread