Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I still don't completely believe that this game actually exists. There's just no reason why it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

So when you say "gigantic weird babies", which kind are you talking about?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I was expecting 2B to make a heroic sacrifice at some point to take out a threat of some kind. I just didn't think it would happen in the prologue.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

so i recently read the ol'Drakengard and Nier thread so i could figure out what all the fuss was about with this series and holy poo poo, Taro Yoko, you're my kinda guy. lookin' forward to seeing where this goes. that the weapon descriptions out-Drakengard Drakengard is great, because i'm hoping the final ending of this game out trainwrecks Drakengard as well.

I can't help but think that Drakengard and Nier were still relatively normal games, and it wasn't until Drakengard 3 that Taro Yoko really got weird. So if you haven't got through that one yet, you should give it a read.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Alavaria posted:

They must have had a wonderful relationship if she needed a melee defense chip...

It wouldn't be a Taro Yoko game if there weren't that subtle undercurrent of things being really hosed up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think Drakengard 3 has the fastest time to "what in the gently caress"

I'm not counting N:A because we're not there yet

By the 12th update in the Drakengard 3 LP, we had already seen the aftermath of going up against Five and read her and Dito's novellas. I think that's enough to qualify.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Still got it, where it is the ability to hear annoying high-pitched noises. :confuoot:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Well the D3 DLC is definitely necessary if you want to do the right thing and put an end to the elven menace.

Remember, it's not manslaughter if they aren't human!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ah, there we go. There's that good old-fashioned Drakengard crazy we've been looking for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Accord must be making a boatload of cash with her trans-dimensional arms dealing thing.

She has a lot of mouths to feed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Savior?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a Nier VLP that started today if you want to get in on the ground floor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

*sobs*
2B here. What’s wrong?
Oh... *sniff* there’s this operated I kind of liked, but... when I asked her out, she turned me doooooooown! *cries*
*sniff* Honestly, 2B? I don’t know how I’m supposed to go on liiiiving. *sniff*
I am definitely not the person to discuss this with.
*shakes head* Oooooh... I don’t think I can stand spending one more day in this Bunker...
You leaving would be bad for me. It would affect mission efficiency.
*sniffles* A-Are you saying you need me, 2B?
All model-B combat units require assistance of an operator. So...
2BEEEEE...
That’s all. Closing this channel.

And we're back to watching the videos just to verify that these moments actually are in the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You use the word "headcanon" unironically.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

In the Japanese version of the game, (and supplementary materials, I think? This little aside, you can take with a grain of salt) he was explicitly off in the woods having his way with one of the kids. Which is entirely the reason why he's not as dead as a doornail when you first meet him.

Drakengard!

He was masturbating.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's funny that way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CesspoolofHatred posted:

We just helped start a drug trade and made some android junkies who are probably HOOKED FOR LIFE! Heck yeah!

Glory to Mankind!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

These androids seem to be pretty close to human, but apparently the closest they're ever going to get to love is combat. That's pretty messed up (and also maybe explains some of the drama on their satellite).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JcDent posted:

So what you people are getting at is that I should read the WKC LP.

Yes. You should read the thread if you have archives access, as the commentary goes a long way towards improving the LP experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

vilkacis posted:

...or maybe just

The max size for smilies is 90 x 25. Fix it and I'll buy it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:yokotaro:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vadoc posted:

Most likely, but probably also similarly to how companies have to 'protect' their copyrights no matter how stupid the reason because if they don't then they lose it.

Trademarks, not copyrights. Copyrights in theory expire after a certain amount of time (but that keeps getting extended every time Mickey Mouse is due to enter the public domain). Trademarks last as long as the IP holder acts to defend them.

(That's in the US. These laws vary a lot by country.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

(It’s just Birth of a Wish without the This Will Not Continue chorus.)

That should be Cannot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's a hell of an introduction.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

She talks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's just no way that every day's going to be great for Emil now that he's back in a game, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I like to think that Accord took a more proactive approach with Nowe and we just never saw the worldlines she deleted early because he was inevitably going to gently caress them up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Playing the original Drakengard was an incredible experience and I'm glad I did it, but yeah, it's a terrible game. It's much better to read through the LP and just marvel at the fact that it ever existed, let alone launched a franchise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The partridge ate its own children and set the tree on fire.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Power Bottom posted:

Is Grün going to turn out to be 2B's dad?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Storywise this whole parts feels a lot like the battle against the giant shade at the end of Nier's first act, and from watching the videos it seems like it's more than a little reminiscent of the battle against Four's wyvern-dick suspended castle. It's nice to see those ideas working well together.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

McFetusBurger posted:

That was the great thing about Caim. Every villain has to tell you all about why they're destroying the world, he just loving stabbed everything and smiled if it bled.

Sometimes he didn't stab people.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's the mark of the watchers from Drakengard, which (in-universe) is what that evolved to become.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe it'll be more like Three and the pod'll just eat him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That was such a tender strangulation. Classic Drakenier, really.

And the androids look pretty odd without their blindfolds. It kinda heightens the feeling that this part is out there a little bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

"Flowers for the Broken Spirit" is one of the endings of Drakengard. Maybe it's just that.

That's ending B, where Inuart successfully gets Furiae into a seed of resurrection. Not seeing the parallels here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

So that choking scene, yeah? And you know how popular cosplaying as 2B and 9S is? There's been a couple of cons where there are GROUPS of people re-enacting this. Such as this one.

People cosplay Nowe, so it's not like the bar for good taste is set super-high here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

Is... is no one going to note this? This line strikes me as pretty goddamn important. There's obviously something involved here we're not in the know about yet.

It's classic misdirection. Just like when Zero approached the Cathedral at the end of route A: she was obviously not planning on coming out, but everyone missed that because she just turned the male cast into pigeons with a wave of her hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Crasical posted:

I imagine it's going to get a lot worse before long, if the rumors I've heard about Yoko Taro games are true.

I don't know what's coming, but I'm sure that we'll all be in tears by the end. :yokotaro:

• Locked thread