Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A quality LP of a contemporary game I can actually play along with? Nice.

One thing I'm hoping you'll touch on is the sheer breadth of the supplementary material the series produces. Where does it all come from? Why does it even exist? 'Sleeper hit' is too generous a description for most of these games, yet the first Nier seemed to get more of it than most mainline JRPG entries. There's even a stage play for God's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

No, no, of course I didn't get ending W 3 times while playing on Normal. What an awful thing to say, how dare you

(I may have had issues unlearning Bloodborne's control scheme which was pure muscle memory at this point)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And so it begins, the war against the murderous Android phone logos.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I still don't completely believe that this game actually exists. There's just no reason why it should.
It exists because of Japanese style corporatism where advancement is based not on merit, but on the ability to get totally shitfaced with your boss after work. In his own weird way, Yoko Taro is a master of networking.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

White Coke posted:

In what corporate system is advance based on merit?
Accord's Weapon Shop LLC; their CEO got the position by winning Employee of the Month according to a unanimous vote 11,314 years in a row. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I mean, just because it's a tremendous waste of resources doesn't mean it's not *also* a highly mobile gun emplacement that can just Goomba-stomp you.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Just as well, really. No good end will come of things when your office uses a song called 'Fortress of Lies' as its incidental music.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GeneX posted:

Ah, humanity created another sapient humanoid species. Yay.
Name one time that's ever turned out poorly for us.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

More games need joke endings. Also, curious design decision to line the walls of the last bastion of humanity with nitroglycerine.
To say nothing of the decision to stick fusion reactors prone to massive chain reactions inside all of your employees.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

That's right, massive amounts of gunpowder left for 2 years right next door to the most important power plant in the country.
poo poo, you don't even have to look that far afield. There's the fertilizer plant in Texas that got repeatedly cited for unsafe storage conditions with no improvement on the issue. Which then, shockingly, blew up and leveled city block due to unsafe storage conditions.

...What I'm getting at, is that if SA still exists in the year 11,000 the OSHA.jpg thread is filled with pictures of the YoRHa base.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hypothesis: "The slow antler penetrates the--" *gets gored by a moose*

(Moose are p. big, man.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I assumed the androids just built a city during one of the lulls, and it got razed when the war started up again. Remember, this war's gone on longer than recorded human history and both sides have tech that can probably speed up construction an awful lot.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Can't really argue with that. I've got a weakness for exploring ruined cityscapes in games, but this isn't one of the more expansive or detailed ones.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Real talk: moose & squirrel boars are strong because if your first reaction to arriving in a lush and beautiful world is to go stab a non-aggressive animal then you deserve to be punished for your hubris.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They deal a ton of damage if they hit, but aren't actually all that difficult to fight. It's meant as a nasty surprise for people who assume they're just furry, walking harvest points.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Upgrading the pods is doubly pointless in fact, because as near as I can tell their damage still scales with your level. Upgrading makes them more efficient, but they're never going to be stronger than just whacking things with your sword, and they fulfill their main use (holding down the fire button to boost your DPS) just as well at level one.

Ending T isn't my favorite of the joke endings, but it's pretty drat close.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Actually, I'm pretty sure there aren't any missable sidequests between now and when fast travel unlocks. This is the evolution of Yoko Taro's game design philosophy--now he convinced players to troll themselves.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If nothing else, I'd expect that might be difficult in Drakengard 1's case. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And occasionally hinting at ominous portents in seemingly benign areas. It's actually quite good at that! Not so much as a gameplay system, alas.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I have had that experience, yes. The why and how of it will have to wait for some time, however. (It was not moose-related.)

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out what was behind the 3 bodies clipping through each other on the edge of a platform.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Bholder posted:

I was thinking the same thing, so this was the very first picture I took when I started playing

If only it changed his voice too. :allears:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nier:Automata's fishing isn't deep by any means, but in an odd sort of way I think it captures the ideal fishing experience: you chill out, admire the scenery, listen to some tunes and top if off by hauling out a robotic flounder. Looking forward to the DLC that lets 2B drink a beer while she waits for the signal.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

NHO posted:

Hm. Where do bodies come to the terminals?
In the stage play they explain it's the helper cats from Monster Hunter. You never see them in-game because they need to stay hidden from all the killer boar and moose.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

Video: Episode 13 Highlight Reel (If you cannot hear an ear-piercing high pitched sound at the end of this video, congrats! You’re old and your hearing is starting to get hosed!)
I still can't believe they did that. Wait, no. Actually I'm not at all surprised they did that.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Begemot posted:

Even Okami had Oki, that guy that turned into a wolf and fought with a sword in his mouth.
Your true rival was the WiiMote.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kickstarter to Give Yoko Taro a Million Dollars.

Not to make a game or anything, we're just going to give it to him and see what he does with it. Maybe he'll remake the original Nier! Maybe he'll just roll around in it while holding himself and weeping. We've got no idea!

Stretch Goals: if we reach $2,000,000 we will convert the entire sum to cash and deliver it to his house on a pallet carried by a helicopter.

If we reach $4,000,000 we will commission a line of Emil body pillows (skeleton version only).

If we reach $8,000,000 we will erect a 1/8th scale replica of the Grotesquerie Queen in downtown Tokyo that continuously plays the rhythm section from the first Drakengard at maximum volume.

All backers at the $100+ level receive a 3x5 index card listing the amount of their pledge (comes with a certificate of authenticity).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

grancheater posted:

Yoko Taro's Platinum Games' Okami 2
It takes place entirely in Japan-occupied Manchuria.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Iron Pipe isn't complete garbage but it's very much a niche weapon. The gap between its damage when equipped in the light or heavy slot is considerable. In fact out of all the small swords, I'm pretty sure it ends up with the highest damage in the heavy slot. Game's not hard to enough to require that level of min-maxing but if you want to rock a small sword in the heavy attack slot for the moveset, it's a good pick. Critical+ in particular is a top-tier skill.

I also appreciate your restraint in not making the obvious joke so that I could make it instead

NieR: Automata - "Now where could my pipe be?"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Feral pigs are scary, man. That's honestly the most realistic part of Nier & N:Automata

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone remember that one guy in GBS who had a bunch of drones he used to track the feral pigs attacking his farm, which he would then hunt with spears?
Last I heard, he put on a mask & cloak and led a similarly attired team into an underground castle to hunt a beast he referred to only as 'the ShadowBoard.' He was never heard from again, but when cleaning out his stuff they found a crumpled, greasy ball of paper under a dresser. When they flattened it out, it read "Nier Ending E complete."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I stood in place just to see if Party Tank would run me down like the callous machine it is. Instead its hit detection gently shuffled me aside like the caress of an angel's wing. poo poo, you can even jump on top of it and ride the thing around. It's great.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Course it does, what kind of lame-rear end parties have you been going to?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

After enduring a couple minutes of the enslaved androids’ attacks boy a lot of these boss fights are secretly on scripted timers,
To be fair, you see that in a lot of bullet-hell games as well.

By the time I fought Simone Beauvoir the Songstress I was well ahead of the leveling curve. The level you are now? That's where I was when I fought Adam. Yet another example--as if one were still needed--of why you really want to save the sub-quests until fast travel unlocks. It's still an amazing looking/sounding fight, but level makes a big difference in Automata. Most all of the hard to dodge attacks I just facetanked, then killed her while she was in the middle of unslinging the terror-dick.

Robs the game of some of the menace you know? Shame Hard mode was so poorly implemented.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The twist is that the machines plan to build a giant dynamo called Lunatic Pandora in order to trigger the 'Lunar Cry' phenomenon which causes humans to rain down from the moon.

...nah, that's too wildly implausible to possibly be a good twist.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I love the notion that the war against the machines is this life & death struggle for the androids on the surface, but for the Operator class it's basically The Office with more black leather.

chiasaur11 posted:

Now, if she could rope Jackass into helping, then we might have something.
Jackass' explosion-based courtship rituals are a poor match for a woman who lives in a space station. See ending U for details.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Trying to finish every level of their other games with the highest rating is *kind* of like being trolled by Platinum.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A million sales in a month can be either astonishing, or a crushing disappointment. If you're used to Call of Duty numbers, it doesn't seem like much. The fact that a game can sell several million copies and still be considered a failure is a pretty big indictment of games industry thinking, but that topic is pretty far removed from the likes of Yoko Taro, who's never had an honest-to-God smash hit in his life before now. By his standards, it's a roaring success.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Fickle' is a real good description of that sidequest. When it stalled out for me, I just camped near one possible spawn point and reloaded my game until they showed up.

edit: seems like an appropriate time to post this

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 13, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You mean to tell me you've already forgotten beloved DJ & martyr 42S of WYRH FM? With all his classic character voices like The Mongoose & The Mongoose (but slightly deeper) & The Mongoose (with a bad French accent)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fuckin' beatuiful, Id.

• Locked thread