Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Analysis: NieR: Automata is the best game. Dark Id is the Best Let's Player.
Conclusion: This is going to be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

If you fail to avoid the attack from below, you can dodge the attack as engels bursts through the floor, but then you will fall out of bounds into the sea. The game treats falling into pits using zelda rules (respawn on land and take a small amount of damage)

Source: i got my mom to play this game. She doesn't normally play video games, so avoiding heavily telegraphed attacks is still a challenge for her. (Thank you auto chips)

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Not my work, but someone else has a different idea on how the bed situation goes.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

ManSedan posted:

Amongst all the mysteries this game presents, the biggest one I'm curious about is how humanity survived after the events of Nier.

If I recall correctly, it did say that several locations had successful merging of replicants and gestalts. They were in the minority, but it's not unfeasible for there to be several hundred thousand who made it, give we know very little about the population numbers at the time of project gestalt.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Okay, I'm sorry to be the one to point this out, but they aren't even TRYING to disguise the fact that the aliens are dicks. Like, literal dicks. With foreskin and veins.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Devola and Popola did nothing wrong.

Morally speaking of course.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

At least 2B is happy in that ending.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

One thing to note is that when the balls roll around they make this hilarious "tire squealing on road" noise.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I appreciate them trying to make the ending impactful with a character death, but it really just falls flat when they point out he can restore his data from like 20 minutes ago. Nothing that character-building happened since 9S performed an orbital faceplant. They started the game off with him losing a couple minutes of memories from self-destructing and it was no big deal.

Arguably, that 9S that gets reloaded is a different entity than the one on the Earth. It's the Transporter problem all over again. Think of it this way. Imagine that they 3d printed a copy of 9S and reloaded him from the back up, except while 2B and 9S were fighting Eve. Obviously, that's a different entity, but why does reloading after the earth bound copy dies make a difference?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

...! posted:

Accepted by who? No dictionary has a definition for "alright." "Alot" is accepted by a lot of people but that's not a word either. Type "alright" into Google and the first thing it will do is correct your spelling. Then it'll bring up tons of links (including the MLA handbook) explaining that "alright" isn't a word and is never acceptable. Try using that in a high school or college essay and you'll get points deducted for spelling. Try publishing a book and your editor will change it to "all right." They'll also change "okay" to "OK."

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. It's an understandable mistake since "already" and "altogether" are words.

Spelling/grammar is fun! ;)

Alright. Will you be okay if we don't listen to you?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Yeah, Adam doesn't experience hate himself; he wants to study it.

Edit: it's why he gets so excited when 2B starts to get angry at him. Finally, some first hand data!

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 3, 2017

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Going to have to put down the LP for a while, just got the game and opened fast travel on route A myself, so I want to experience the rest blind. See you in a couple months.

This is 100% the correct decision.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

the intro to Drakengard 3 has you literally killing the narrator

As does the penultimate fight.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Anyone who suspected Popola and Devola is a terrible person. There, I said it.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

In celebration of this horrific revelation, here are some quotes from earlier in the thread!

Tempest_56 posted:

quote:

2B: It always ends like this...

Is... is no one going to note this? This line strikes me as pretty goddamn important. There's obviously something involved here we're not in the know about yet.

Zerilan posted:

2B wasn't exactly feeling fine about the whole thing last time 9S had a memory reset. The "tenderness" isn't even uncharacteristic either. 2B didn't react much to the other androids being shot down in the prologue, but lost her usual stoic composure immediately once 9S was injured.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

androids are normally immortal, of course they're going to be really afraid of death if they never usually have to handle its inevitability even if it's as small a deal as 20 minutes of memories

2b seems to be hinting that she's had other partners die on her and has trouble handling that, and didn't want to get attached to 9s feeling he'd die again on her.

Falconier111 posted:

To reiterate what's been said, this is not the first time this has happened to 9S. Speculation: 2B has been falling in and out of love/friendship/etc. with 9S for a while now. But each time their relationship intensifies, 9S bites it like a loser and his mind reverts to the pre-mission state stored in the Bunker, anterograde amnesia style. It's why she's been stoic and standoffish but protective when around him; Toobie keeps trying not to get attached, failing, and getting smacked in the face with every reset and he's incompetent enough that this happens a lot. She also might not be able to escape the cycle because Command's assigned them together and she doesn't have the authority to countermand it, but I've never played the game so. 2B is fully cognizant that 9S isn't actually dying, but the version she keeps getting attached to is. So, she's trapped, and deeply grateful when 9S fails at his job so hard he loops around and keeps himself alive.

Falconier111's post is my favorite, because it's soooo close to figuring it out. Probably could have gone all the way too, if someone had asked "Why does 9S always die and 2B always live?"

Also, props to Aumanor for correctly guessing the twist!

Aumanor posted:

Disregarding the terrible boss fight for a moment, I think A2's quick romp in the hackerspace might suggest that 2B was actually an E-type android. Was she dispatched to keep an eye on 9S?

Bonus:

Explosions posted:

My one bit of happiness from this update was that at least now we wouldn't have to suffer through a late game revelation that 2B has been in love with 9S all along, and now the spoiler dipshits are all smirk smirk we'll find out her motivations later smirk smirk and I want to put a brick through my screen.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

apocalypticCritic posted:

That's a solution to a lot of problems. It doesn't solve the problem of getting arrested for punching a dude in the face really hard, though.

Punch the people trying to arrest you in the face, really hard.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Also, "slavishly perfect execution where you die in ome hit to a stubby" describes the final arena challenge pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Also, no one believed Taro when he said that the game would have a happy ending. But it did. In the end, it did.

• Locked thread