Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet, ground floor for the LP! I'm actually playing the game myself right now, so I can rest easy knowing I don't have to bother with completing all sidequests or nothing.

Also the game is pretty loving awesome and everybody here should play it themselves, beg borrow or steal if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VagueRant posted:

Argh, I'm going to have to pull the trigger now. Hope it runs well!

If you're playing on PC, go and get the FAR patch, which fixes a bug with fullscreen resolution and lets you adjust global lighting so it's not a complete resource hog. My own PC isn't in the best shape anymore but this patch let me play at 1080p60fps which I simply could not hit just messing with the game's settings. Until there's an official patch released, getting this was, for me, basically required to play smoothly at all.

The Dark Id posted:

At this point we can connect online. This game doesn’t feature some important/weird features with online play. But none of the bullshit like Dark Souls invasions. So, sure. We’ll opt in!

Uh, the game does have weird online features? It's just all passive, like notes in Dark Souls. No actual co-op play, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pensive posted:

He mentioned in an interview I read that, when he was forced to go on stage and do some interviews at E3, his intent was to be such a massive embarrassment that Squeenix would never put him in front of camera again. It backfired horribly and now they won't stop putting him infront of cameras because people just love that goofy guy in the mask so much.

This sounds fake but I still love the idea of trying his hardest to fail and being even more successful because of it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Id should just post his LP's to a tumblr or something. There, completely spoiler free and under his complete control over what gets posted and not posted. So much fun. Emotions are prohibited.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If someone sees and says something about something weird that has an explanation eventually, they're probably also aware that it likely has an explanation at some point.

Yeah, see there are a lot of people doing this, and it's pretty hard to spot who is being genuine and who isn't (not impossible though, you know who you are and I know who you are), and honestly it's fine. Dicks will be dicks and the clueless shall remain clueless until clued in.

It's the people saying "hold up that's a spoiler" that are loving everything up. Chill your tits, guys.

Jack Anderson posted:

On topic, I'm really sold on this game but I have a budget laptop from 2014ish, how lovely would I be expecting it to run?

Hmmmm I'm gonna say your best option is to buy a PS4.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Sandman posted:

*sees the previous page of discussion*

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fedule posted:

Yeah, someone told me you would miss sidequests because of plot developments quite often so I just kinda compulsively kept on top of sidequests.

They were probably just trying to help, but, gently caress that person tbqh.

Lol might've been me :v:

I was posting that in the nier thread cause I had missed a few late game sidequests due to plot stuff, and regretted it because plot stuff.

But they were all late game, early game you really should just get to fast travel first, makes life easier.

The Dark Id posted:

Ska is prohibited.

What a bleak future

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Qrr posted:

What has this world come to when you can learn you have a self destruct and not use it immediately?

I wanted to blow stuff up with it so I waited till I was in a fight.

I mean, what kind of idiot blows themselves up in a space station?

Says the idiot who ate the fish without saving for at least 90 minutes

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

... huh.

When I did this quest I hadn't met the two in the oil field, so Jackass just said there were people around who were selling the stuff.

Also, E-Drugs don't effect the pause screen, so I always made sure to take them from the quick menu to actually see the effect go off when you hit the button. It's really satisfying and once I found the dealers I probably used them at least twice per mission.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well he did give birth to Eve.

From his recently severed ribs, to boot!

... okay maybe not really, it's hard to tell if Eve comes from his chest area or not, but given the names it'd be silly if not.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Considering just how happy 6O was with the picture, and how there were lunar tears everywhere, I assumed that this quest would get a sequel or follow up later down the line where you'd have to find more flowers to take pictures of.

Nope. One off.

I wanted more super upbeat 6O getting giddy over pictures of flowers, is that so wrong?

Geemer posted:

I managed to farm one after the quest bugged out on me by reloading at the desert oil field constantly and picking up the 2~3 drops there for about 20 minutes.

The chime for collecting a quest item sounded! The message for collecting a quest item showed up! But 2B didn't tell Pod 042 to take a picture and it just didn't work at all until way later.
:negative:

I had a similar problem with the Engels quest needing you to pick up a pristine screw; got the screw and used it for another quest! Which hosed up everything, the enemy that dropped the screw didn't respawn and going to back Engels just make 2B say "man finding stuff is hard". Ended up having to do that quest during the second playthrough instead, which thankfully [could be considerably less convenient for reasons -fedule].

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 19, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well... that sure is a thing I had no idea existed... thanks for the warning though.

END ME SCOOB posted:

There is actually a slight visual hint to that "maze" in the sandstorm: the walls are where the tiny areas of raised sand are. You can see one in some of your screenshots.

Yeah, you can see that better in the pause menu, moving the camera around you can make out the path you're supposed to take.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

My wife made this to share with the class:

:allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Quick reminder that the stage play was produced back in Oct. 2014, months before the game was even announced.

It must be frustrating trying to keep up with all the story and lore from this series, since so much of it is random stuff like the stage play or drama CDs, or more recently the Nier: Automata Music Concert which between live music performances has some of the voice actors read a prequel short story to the game. It's all over the place, literally!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Did this quest as soon as it opened up.

Spent like half an hour on just the last race.

Reward was a speed up chip which I never even knew existed until after I'd beaten the quest, meaning I did the whole thing at base speed. :suicide:

(I did know about speed salves which is basically the whole reason I beat it at all, but still)

The Dark Id posted:

2B has to make her way across several rooftops lined with derelict air units and rooftop access ways. Here’s a hard and fast rule for this race: if 2B fails to clear any of these obstacles and has to climb up any of ‘em, she’s lost the race.

Ha, you went the wrong way! That route is a trap.

Mazerunner posted:

Huh, on the second race I went straight forward from the start, dropping off the building and running along the ground, then cut right a bit to climb up a big root to get on top of the building and never had much trouble on that stage. Never used any tricks with the pods or speed salves either :smug: but yeah gently caress this quest it's lovely.

This guy gets it, going down to street level saves like, close to ten seconds, making an incredibly tight race into a very manageable one. Only difficult part is the bushes (you'll avoid them after the first time they gently caress you up) and actually jumping up the tree root. (it can be a little tricky at first)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kavak posted:

I wonder if this was something that got patched in.

It's not, I saw this back during launch week. Worth a hearty chuckle, didn't realize it was so rare.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. I thought both the golden machines and Emil's quest were only doable during the second playthrough, since you wouldn't know about this area until the game tells you about it, which the game only does for this final main story quest. That and the fact that most of the dialogue for Emil's quest makes it sound like a [particular thing], and the final Lunar tear is on the last island which is covered in story critical baddies that you would never think to not kill. The end of the quest, as well, made me think it was designed to be completed on a second playthrough.

Id, be careful when breaking the game, there's more than a few times when it feels like it's held together by strings and dreams.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 29, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

If you're running behind schedule and release the game feature-incomplete, it's not a buggy mess, it's "early access"

If the game comes out completely missing an ending, it's not a complete failure by the dev team, it's just "episodic content"

Unless that game is MGSV, in which case it's a "DVD bonus feature"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

So Half-Coordinated pointed out that constantly dashing makes it look like you're skateboarding, sooooooo he asked for fanart.

He got to the part Id's at in about an hour. Beat the whole game in less than two, and was entertaining the whole time, plus raised like $50K and spawned a bunch of fanart. T'was a good speedrun.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Indeed. And I don't recall any spoilers for the rest of the game beyond ending A, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't notice any for after Ending A, but... we still haven't gotten to Ending A, so :v:

Also they have a 2B plushie as a donation incentive

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

loving spoilers dude

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Renoistic posted:

All joking aside, lots of people die in the sequel. Kat also has no qualms with killing human enemies by throwing them to their doom (every fight against humans is a one-sided massacre). One boss is a giant Parasite Eve - type body horror freak-show and genuinely disturbing. It's quite different from the original.

Saagonsa posted:

Hell, even the original had an insanely nihilistic theme near the end.

Hmmm. Can I play them both on just a PS3/PS4 or do I really need a Vita?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Begemot posted:

The importance of the auto-collect chip cannot be overstated. The difference is night and day, no longer having to walk around and manually pick up every single drop after a fight. Probably cuts the average length of a fight in half.

No, seriously, you're still underselling it.

It can also pick up items during a fight, meaning you can now run in, beat up the guy you want an item from, and run away without having to engage the rest of them because you want to pick up an item and they keep hitting you out of the item pickup animation.

Life is just so much better with auto-collect. The only possible downside is you might start to forget you're picking up items and don't do a quick lap for anything you miss.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Meh.

My reaction was more of a "finally" cause outside of being melancholy as hell the game wasn't being overly weird. Everything up to this point fit together very nicely and all had at least some plausible explanations. (with one very obvious exception) I felt like I'd been playing a Platinum game up to this point, which, don't get me wrong, I love Platinum games, but I'd signed on for some Yoko Taro as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:devil:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

vdate posted:

For all of 2B's usual seriousness, something about her body language in some of these animations seems awfully pleased with herself - almost smug. Can't really put my finger on it, just the impression I got. Paints an amusing mental picture, though!

It's probably the flourishes she does after weapon combos and while putting away her stuff. And they're more for the players benefit then anything, since you need to stop pressing buttons or moving to see them. During normal gameplay you'll probably never see half these animations cause whenever you're done combat you're moving on to the next objective.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

Why have I don’t this to myself?

Meaningless.
Meaningless.
MEANINGLESS.

Pretty sure that's supposed to be "done"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

Pascal’s Village Concept Art – Using the Bethesda Fallout decorate rusty steel barrel furnishing aesthetic, huh?

That's one sticking point I have with the game, is reusing the tired old post-apocalypse look that other games use. The first Nier had people already rebuilding with bricks and mortar again, but this one is all sky scrappers and rusted out, reused materials for buildings. So like, did civilization advance to building skyscrapers again? Or are skyscrapers expected to last for ten thousand years and at least 13 more world wars?

Yeah yeah, it's more about the "aesthetic" they were going for than any actual lore reasons, but still, feel like it's a missed opportunity. Would have loved to see what the machine village would look like if they were able to build stuff on their own instead of just salvaging.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, $30+ for a t-shirt is a bit much, but on the other hand I Am Trash YoRHa is pretty good, just not sure it's $30 good

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

...That doesn’t sound great.
This is Operator 6O. Umm... what the heck did you guys do down there!? That Goliath unit’s enemy vibrations are growing in intensity. It’s resonating in tandem with the area beneath the combat zone! Also it is broadcasting “get ****ed androids” on all frequencies?
That’s probably bad.
Mhm...

Get ganked? Get dunked? Get punked? What on earth could have been his last message?!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

McFetusBurger posted:

If you don't mind me asking, and hopefully not at the risk of hijacking this thread, how do you (or anyone else experiencing depression) feel after a game like this? Is it catharsis in the sense that you feel more positive and energetic or is it more of a misery loves company thing? Does playing or experiencing a story like this provide validation of your own feelings or experiences? Or something else entirely you would like to describe?

I ask because my work and profession are very involved in mental health and if there is genuine therapeutic or cathartic value in "depressing" literature, art, or stories then it may be a worthwhile area to explore and research further. I don't want to ask anyone to describe anything that might make them re-experience trauma or otherwise cause pain, but if you are comfortable sharing something it may end up being very helpful.

Also, having had a medication induced brief bout with depression, I can't begin to understand the life of someone who experiences it chronically but I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't pray but I sincerely hope you all know that you do matter.

I'd rather message that kinda thought since spoilers and poo poo.

In the broadest sense, having something you can relate to is a huge help. Most stories treat tragic events as "this is sad because it's abnormal, the world is usually happy, so we cry when it's not happy" kinda deal. Like, any given Tales Of game would have one of the party members scream at the sidequest girl for being so terrible to someone she supposedly loves, while possibly the MC would step in with sword drawn to stop this injustice. That's fine, but when you're in a depressed mood it comes off as shallow and fake. Neir does a better job of relating to how I would feel about the event, "well, whatever, got things to do elsewhere".

Course when depression gets real bad I don't play games cause it's too much effort and it's not like I would enjoy them, anyway. I didn't play this game for several weeks after it was released because of that. Depression is weird and stupid.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

I wonder what we've just learned about Taro Yoko's creative process.

destroy friendships to be a creative genius?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kavak posted:

:ohdear: This is one of the most ominous things I've ever read.

Wait, have you still not played this game? This is more than enough of an appetizer to get the idea of whether you'll enjoy it or not. If you're still reading the LP but haven't played the game, you own it to yourself to play it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Stephen9001 posted:

Which is why we're beggining to develop AI to solve things for us!

Eh, at the rate we're going, it might be 128 years til we develop something with the intelligence of a baby.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

They made the doomsday weapon sympathetic. In a kind of cheap way, but drat it it worked on me. :smith:

All these slideshow cutscenes are structured the same way the weapon stories are. Yoko Taro has had a lot of practice getting the most emotional mileage out of the fewest possible words.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.”

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rangpur posted:

...and nothing else.

Well it is v0.25, so presumably this is just a test release to make sure it works and they're gonna go through and update more textures later on.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Shipping containers full'a farts.

is that why androids have butts?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wiegieman posted:

I wonder if the 2B death counter goes up with your savefile?

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, microspoilers time: If there's anything that lets you interpret this chart meaningfully later in the game, I sure didn't see it.

There are several ways to interpret some meaning from it. The [y] / [n] stuff is probably "on mission" or "planetside" or something to that effect, since 2B is [y] while down on the ground while 9S is [n] while holed up in the bunker. From that, then the first column would probably be something like "time spent active" or "time spent on current mission", since both 1S and 9S, both [n]'s, have really low numbers, meaning they've only been on the bunker for a bit, while the rest have pretty high numbers, meaning they've been down on the ground active for a lot longer.

Course I have no idea what they all have in common that could be answered with 0040, and leaving the last column blank is odd, but what's really odd is that the lost units have that added to their titles rather than any of the column's, so we know it's not a note line or anything, it's just an unfilled box.

But yeah it literally doesn't matter so whatever.

• Locked thread