Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

So how come Adam can teleport spam all over the place? What technological bump did the aliens bring to the table that allows "magic light teleportation" to be a thing? Or "live birth" for that matter, I guess. This seems a little fantastical.

Wait.

You were ok with the sun now constantly being in the sky but not rotationally locked or otherwise roasting all life, the teleporting telekinetic weapons and the endless ammo, but the weird not-an-android mitosis is a bridge too far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

I wonder a bit about how long this has been a thing machines have been doing. 9S was familiar with the speech phenomenon and the giving birth thing is obviously new, but I wonder if there was maybe some issue in the past as well that maybe ties into the whole "emotions are prohibited" rule. I mainly wonder about the latter cause, why do you need a rule?
Clearly all the androids have emotions: 6O and the office girls doing love life fortune telling, 9S being a dork trying to get a nickname going on, 2B being clearly sad about 9S not remembering the tutorial. If they didn't want the androids to have emotions, then why build them that way?
So, maybe it just didn't matter until now.

I get the impression 2B is trying and failing to play at being an emotionless murderbot.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
9S's constant insistence that machines don't have sapience is pretty obviously self-serving bullshit. He's not even consistent about it up to this point - he'll claim machines have no sapience but then he treats Pascal like an individual with thoughts and feelings.

I like how the game doesn't even pretend to make it some big twist. It's always about not the reality of machine personhood, but the validity of individual actions.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

vilkacis posted:

This line sticks out to me since

it's the same wording she chewed out 9S for in the intro. I wonder if there was some thought behind it or just a happy coincidence.

2B is Not Good At Being An Emotionless Killbot.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Eopia posted:

He only managed to backup 2B, he was restored from a pre-mission backup. Which still leaves the 'Why didn't they just restore the deserter from a pre-mission backup as well?' question open.

I'd assume that she might well be somewhere else. I mean, 4B is evidently assigned to a different base altogether, even though she was previously flying alongside 2B.

Continuity of personhood is weird with YoRHa androids, especially seeing as literally any time 2B and 9S fast travel they're having the Transporter Problem. But the androids do seem to have some continuity of self - 9S doesn't remember dying in the prologue but he's seemingly basically the same dude and is treated as such by 2B, not an identical clone.

Mind, every YoRHa android apparently has the material cost of the equivalent of a fighter jet, so bodies aren't cheap.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 8, 2017

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Forgall posted:

God, it's such a stock jrpg villain speech.

Taro has always excelled in passion and sincerity more than merely originality.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

McDragon posted:

Oh sure 9S, machines are fine now you are one.

Also yeah go listen to that track even if you don't usually, it's a good 'un.

Eh, they're "fine" now that he's overwritten the residual data of their deceased minds!

Besides, he'll just self-destruct as soon as he's got a decent bandwidth connection. Ultimately Bad Machines were destroyed and thus there is no inconsistency at all in an ageless war machine built to destroy all threats to humanity despising other ageless war machines built to destroy and hellbent on extermination of all who stand against them!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and said it seemed an appropriately Drakengardy thing to him to him. His plans achieved the opposite of what he intended, which I'm pretty sure is a thing in a weapon story or two.

Taro mask weapon story when?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Gaslighting, violation of personhood, enabling the aforementioned, and treating someone else as a tool for your own prosperity while manipulating them with (possibly true?) claims of love.

And nobody really treats it as anything unusual. (Hell, almost EVERY romantic relationship so far has had undertones of darkness and sadomasochism. Hmm.)

Drakenier!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't all android and possibly machine technology use magic?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure Dante gets impaled at least once in every Capcom DMC game.

Only the good ones. Was DMC2 made by Capcom? I forgot?

And yeah, the thing is, characters like Dante or Leon are written with the author knowing full well that:
A: They are extremely competent badasses who are among the most dangerous things in their games.
B: This does not stop them from frequently being doofuses who do make mistakes, mess up, or generally be goofballs trying a bit too hard.
C: Without the latter, the former could easily be intolerable.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint: the Androids are basically humans with beepy boopy parts in them so... Maybe humanity survives in a way? :shobon:

(Yoko Taro Voiceover: They didn't.)

This is my read. Supplementary material has pointed to androids being increasingly humanlike in functions and tasks they can perform - basically the only thing they can't do is have children. But emotionally, androids are still, well, rather childlike in many ways. They're programmed to help humans. So they need a humanity to protect, and the soul searching that they'd need to go through to really come to the conclusion that humanity lives on in them is potentially catastrophic.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I always assumed 6O was one of the nameless operators you cut down during the escape sequence.

God, the Machine Network are sadistic little shits. They're loving this - you really need to hear the voice they use (which sounds like it might actually be 6O's voice, holy crap) to get the sense of just how much childlike spite they display in this sequence. If Pascal and co are innocence in a positive sense, the Machine Network are the dark side.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Interesting and sad that, despite being very obviously infected, and for that matter being a less advanced model with presumably weaker firewalls and defenses, the Commander manages what none of her subordinates do: she never attacks 2B and 9S. Even the Operators don't manage that and they're literally not built for combat. She just walks back into the control room to die. :(

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Sax Solo posted:

I really love the effect of the repeated title, also the repeated SHMUP segment. Route A starts with the SHMUP drop, and in Route B you see it from 9S's point of view. In Route C it's just another drop from space SHMUP segment, it's definitely the third cycle, but poo poo is all wrong, it's not fun anymore it's scary.

It's very disquieting. It's like you're hanging out with someone, and they seem kind of boring and predictable, but right about the time you're really tuning them out they say something creepy and hosed up, and there's a kind of visceral I WANT OUT OF THIS feeling. Up until now the game has kind of asked you to think about the endless cycle of thousands of years of war, but at this point it's trying to get you to feel it. Oh you thought this should could not continue did you.

Personally, I think Routes A and B are really necessary to the game's punch. You can't be upset when likable people start unfairly dying without having been given time to like them.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:munch:

So does A2 suddenly wanting to mimic 2B's hairstyle and use her sword say something about her sharing 2B's "memories"?

Remember we have prior instances of androids storing their memories in their weapons.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Route C: 9S's No Good, Very Bad Day

I find the symbolism of the Flooded City very suitable here. 9S mentioned that the bedrock had been bombed out in the last big war. The entire City area you spend the game in is doomed to disintegrate and collapse into the sea. Which seems very fitting for the existentialist tone of the game.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Is it really desertion if you're basically doing the exact same thing you'd have been ordered to do?

It's more like counterfeit machine murder? Unlicensed machine murder? Theft of brand?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

...! posted:

The pods have called her "YoRHa unit A2" a couple dozen times now, along with many other people referring to her as YoRHa.

A2 and 2B even have the exact same facial birthmark in the exact same spot.

The distinction seems more physiological than cultural. A2, 2B and 9S are internally different in anatomy and functionality than the models the Resistance belong to. (They mention that androids are regularly working on modifying themselves to be more human. The only thing they actually can't do is have children.)

So A2 is YoRHa model, but doesn't actually belong to YoRHa. Just like White is actually an older generation model but belongs to YoRHa.

In a world of mass produced chassis, IFF signal may actually be more important to individual identity than faces or bodies.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

2B and 042 respected each other too much to be this fun.

042 thinks A2 is just a total idiot, and his efforts to get her to do something, anything productive are amazing.

He's kind of right. A2 has many good points, but she's not really very smart.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Momomo posted:

Yeah, the idea is that Pascal taught them fear, but not how to deal with it. They end up getting so scared that they just want to not be scared anymore, and killing themselves is the only way to do so.

This is an entirely believable response from severe trauma. There does come a point where the world seems so unthinkably, overwhelmingly painful that your only escape from the eternal terror is suicide. I've encountered suicidal ideation in seriously traumatized people like this (though never felt it myself) before. :(

If the kids' committing suicide doesn't make sense to you, well, I'm glad you've never encountered people in that level of despair.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

alexminor posted:

I think one of the keys people aren't discussing much in regards to 2b and 9s is they may also be lacking empathy because there is nothing to live for. Most of the robots who appear to have emotions are dead, they were responsible for making parts to keep the resistance camp androids running. The androids are mostly dead and the ability to make new ones dead. Aside from revenge there really is no reason for them to continue living. So everything they do should be viewed from that angle.

I don't think there's any evidence that the androids as a whole are incapable of reproduction. It's specifically YoRHa androids that got wiped out - a specific faction thereof. Androids and machines make up worldwide civilizations.

That said, 9S, 2B, A2 and Pascal are all seeing their worlds disintegrate. What are the other androids to 9S? Nothing. YoRHa is all he's ever really known, and it's been obliterated in the cruelest way possible. He also has said outright he expects to die soon. He's not fighting to keep living. He's fighting to make the machines pay as a last defiant act before he dies.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
It pales in comparison to the what the christ of the mind wiped Pascal selling machine cores (though I didn't really feel much about the other parts, since machines use modular parts and don't seem to have a taboo against their reuse) but 4S's utterly calm acceptance of his own imminent death is pretty sad anyways.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I don't know, I just don't see 4S accepting his death or something. He seemed to be more "Welp, HQ's hosed so might as well work with the Resistance and help however I can." Sure, he's still fighting an endless war against the machines, but 4S seems to be in a much healthier place than 9S.

Point. Maybe I'm reading more despair into the text than was meant. I got a vibe of "Well, everyone I know and love is dead, my HQ is destroyed, and I can't expect repairs or resupply. May as well be useful for the Resistance until I die."

chiasaur11 posted:

Ah, the classic argument school of "nuh-uh!"

I get that saying anything that's popular and/or remotely sexual is actually bad gives you a warm thrill of superiority whenever you say it, but, like loving the officer copy machine, it's pleasure you really should cut back on, for your own safety and for the comfort of those around you.

Setting aside popular appeal and critical reception, which your infinite wisdom is obviously far beyond, the YoRHa designs accomplish a number of things even aside from "sex sells" level considerations. This isn't a complete listing, to be clear. Just a few things the designs manage.

1) They look funereal.

Androids are, (plot twist!) fighting for a long dead humanity. The YoRHa uniform combines with the black and white of the bunker to emphasize that our erstwhile heroes dwell among the dead. Ghosts fighting for something already gone.

2) The blindfold and veil symbolism

Simple enough.

3) YoRHa looks elite.

Important bit, if you're selling someone as the last word in super soldiering, is to make them stand out from the crowd. Compare the relatively mundane looking resistance, with their hoods and huge supply of pockets, with YoRHa and you get an immediate impression of which group is footsloggers, and which group is using magic to summon infinite lasers.

4) YoRHa looks distinct.

It can't be understated how useful that is in a crowded market. If it's a game people have never heard of, showing something that even gets enough attention to google is very important. And, you know. 2B's design managed that with ease.

There were a lot of goals in play, and the design managed about all of them. Figure that counts for at least a little.

5. YoRHa look sexualized. This is very, very intentional. There is a very strong erotic undertone to nearly all of Nier: Automata. Think about how consistently androids are portrayed as A: passionate, albeit often in defiance of emotions being "prohibited," B: deeply messed up, and C: somewhat sadomasochistic.

Taro constantly uses sex in his games. Nier: Automata is no exception.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 29, 2017

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

darealkooky posted:

don't pretend that at least 25% of this games sales weren't entirely because 2B has a phat rear end, something can have lots of deep meanings within the greater narrative AND be a great marketing hook.

Well, yeah. And Taro certainly never has shown any shame about churning out what people want. I include 9S in the statement that YoRHa are sexualized, though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Dabir posted:

It's the exact same situation. They're identical, at their base state, to the one that screwed up. They're not people, they're machines, they're equipment. Look at that Samsung phone that started catching fire recently, sure yours might not have caught fire but you wouldn't walk around with it in your pocket all day because it's the exact same model as all those other phones that did, and what if...

Way to totally miss the entire point of a story about humanity in synthetic beings, agency and existential angst.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I like the part where 9S comments the Network is just messing with him, because it is. It's mocking his every attempt, with 2B, to find meaning or connection to the machines by hinting that yes, everything they thought they were doing to help individuals may have just been a sick attempt to gently caress with them.

The Soul Box is where the Network's sadism towards 9S goes into overdrive. It's deliberately dribbling out things just enough to unbalance and hurt him and he's not doing very well to begin with. The whole affair is intended to tell 9S: You don't matter. Your entire world doesn't matter. The woman you love doesn't matter and we're going to take even the memory of her from you. You're discarded trash. Now what are you going to do?

I mean, when you get right down to it, the Resource Collection towers aren't intended to stop 9S, they're meant to egg him on and eat away at his mind. He really, really needs to take a breather and rest, but he can't do that because everything they're doing is designed to keep him too angry to stop.

The Network are sick fucks, and the chests to "reward" 9S for your actions in the sidequest are a great use of game design for narrative purpose.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 5, 2017

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

jyrque posted:

Hey, he stabbed her by his own volition.

I'll repeat something I said earlier: textually, androids are sadomasochists. Jackass says so outright. Factor this into 9S's disintegrating sanity and the things Adam told him earlier.

9S is a decent kid, but there is some DARK poo poo in his brain, and he's just suffered incredible mental trauma.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think the meeting between A2 and 9S could have gone any worse without one of them literally dying.

In one fell swoop, A2:
* denied 9S any sense of bittersweet closure at putting his adopted mother figure out of her misery
* viscerally killed another person 9S loved (seriously, it's not a mercy killing at all; Taro does not mess around at how violent death is ugly)
* reinforced 9S' impression of her as a brutal sadistic tormentor
* Didn't even really bother to explain why she mercy killed 2B, leaving instead with a pointlessly cryptic comment seemingly designed only to make him feel worse.

A2 is FRACTALLY, inexcusably bad with people, to the point that I think she's a deliberate takedown of the mysterious loner type.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 8, 2017

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

When I saw this scene I was like, "Dear god, is there any way 9S can suffer more at this point?" Then I remembered, "Of course, this is :yokotaro: we're talking about here."

Geez, though. Honestly even now I still don't get what 9S did to deserve this level of psychological torture from the machine network.

He's there. The machine network doesn't seem to have a particular grudge against 9S, so much as just the cheerful sadism of angry, malicious children. He's just a toy for them to gently caress with.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

...! posted:

I was always under the impression that 21O asked to be turned into 21B so she could physically protect her son Nines in a way.

It's still interesting to look at A2 and realize she's wearing nothing but the tattered remnants of a YoRHa battle skirt. Nearly all the black you see isn't clothing; it's her metal android body. As a prototype, Command didn't see the point of covering her entire body with artificial skin. They mainly only put in the cost and effort of covering her face, shoulders and a couple of other small regions.

I figured it was more that she had just never bothered to fix any of the damage to her frame. A2 seems to be a death seeker.

It's not entirely clear how human androids' physiology is. Per Taro, they can mostly do everything humans can do, so that implies the skin and fleshy bits aren't purely vestigial.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

A2 was probably trying to help 9S become a good person by killing 21O so he didn't have to do it himself

Well, yes, but it also means he doesn't even get to do 210 the service of killing her when what's left of her mind is begging him to do that. Which means the grief just keeps festering.

A2 is Bad With People.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
And the blending of android love and sadism is complete. That's the chilling thing about Kyle's acting here: 9S is still very obviously in love with 2B even as he butchers her copies. His tone is uncomfortably close to lust.

It's like Taro saw the usual "stake the loved one" plot beat and said, "that's really hosed up! Lemme show you."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

Waaaaaaay back when Jackass mentioned that a core part of android programming was that violence generated a feeling akin to love. And...well...she wasn't exactly wrong given this...

Similarly it makes me appreciate the cleverness of censoring one single word. Your mind is basically trained by Drakenier to go immediately to the gutter, which helps hide the other things it could be.

Yup. And yet, it's totally in keeping with both the series' blunt sexuality and the game itself.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I love the visual language here in 9S's continued degradation. He's a matched pair for A2 by now.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

KamikazePotato posted:

Lost among all this existential exposition and emotional turmoil is the fact that 9S just beat the crap out of a bunch of flight units.

"Scanner models are not meant for combat" my rear end.

Suicidal murderlust is a great force multiplier.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Omobono posted:

I think it's explained in extra materials that Scanner models don't have melee combat capabilities, they can't equip or wield melee weapons.
The more eagle-eyed in our audience might have noticed that 9S can; that's because he self-hacked the NCSC in himself, probably after heavily reprogramming it to his tastes. That's how good our Hackerman (HackerCaim?) is.
It's also why 9S' technique isn't very sophisticated. He's self-taught.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Kase moch posted:

Screwing with completionists is all well and good, but at some point it hampers the player's enjoyment of the game. Knowing at least some sidequests would simply punish me for trying them made me skip any that seemed overly difficult, and led to missing a fair bit of content that would've fleshed out the story a little. Would've been nice for the game to have indicated "doing this sidequest gives a reward" and "doing this sidequest is for idiots whom the developer hates".
This is really the only sidequest that actively punches the player, though. Most of them may have tragic outcomes at times, but it's rare that it would literally be better if you never get involved.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

If Emil clones are to be considered as any less than the original, then I've got bad news for 2B and 9S. Uh, well, I suppose it doesn't matter all that much for 2B anymore, but 9S might want to be careful around those vending machine teleporter things in the future.

None of this actually matters though because machines and androids are no different from very advanced clockwork mechanisms, and aren't actually self-aware in the least. Everything that's happened so far is just a giant mechanical puppet show watched by no one that has been going on for millennia after the ones that wound up the mechanism kicked the bucket.

Wow, it's like you literally have taken the exact OPPOSITE message from this game.

I love how this game can be summed up as "P-zombies are bullshit."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
This area is harrowing and all. But on the other hand, it's not like a bunch of machines are also grade-A dicks twisted with hatred and sadism by the forever war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
The sass you get if you lose the fight is hilarious.

• Locked thread