Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This game is great, did not expect an equally great TID LP of it ever, so that's a nice surprise. Looking forward to seeing what the thread does to cause the first closing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

I really like the frequent shifting of camera angles and gameplay styles, I was surprised more games didn't pick it up after the original Nier did it, but I guess it wasn't exactly seen as a smash hit at the time.

Very few people actually played through enough of Nier to see what made it good. I wouldn't be surprised if you see more games try out camera/genre shifting stuff now, cause Automata's actually making some waves.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I forget, in Drakengard 3, was Accord supposed to come from one of the Drakengard world's possible futures, or Nier's possible futures?

It's never stated, though given that androids have only shown up in Nier so far it's probably a Nier thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Wouldn't patching that out be considered censorship in this case?

No because "censorship" in video games is a dogwhistle for "changes I don't like."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Currency is nuts and bolts, you have a pod buddy with a hover function: are we sure this isn't actually a Ratchet and Clank sequel?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

necroid posted:

am I alone in thinking that everyone being robots and androids is extremely boring and that it provides no pathos?

compared to the drakengards the story so far has been pretty tame and bland, it's just sexy machines killing clunky machines...

Yes. Them being robots doesn't change the fact that they're people.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

necroid posted:

Ok thanks, this was the best answer

these aren't Asimov's robots and androids, sorry if I don't give a poo poo about cannon fodder robots and infinitely respawning sexdroids "dying"...

But I guess I'll find out in a while if it's just that.

Not giving a poo poo about the machines (up until the most recent update anyway), fine, but the androids look like people, act like people, and think like people. They're people.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This was about the point that I became convinced Ending D was the canon one for Nier, yes.
But if Ending D happened, should we really have the Iron Pipe and its Weapon Story? Because that one is clearly written by Yonah for Father Nier.

I can't remember if this was something actually confirmed by Yoko Taro or if it's just apocryphal, but apparently Ending C is canon for Papa Nier while Ending D is canon for Bro Nier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's kind of hard to judge the people/dragons/shades/androids/whatever in the Nier/Drakengard realities as good or bad when they live in such a terrible and unrelentingly cruel world. It's just endless torture and even though many of the problems are self created a lot of the horrors are inescapable and unavoidable and there's nothing any of them can do to stop them or fix things. Hell, quite a few of the characters are just preprogramed to go insane at a certain point and literally have no free will or control over their actions.

Nowe is undeniably a douche though.

I mean that basically describes our world, so I feel it's fair to judge them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

i am tim! posted:

Yeah, for all the other "bad sequel" type faults Drakengard 2 has I'm a little shocked that they didn't mess up the main characters from the previous game. They really hit the nail on the head with Caim.

I mean they basically just made him Black Swordsman Guts. That just so happens to work with his previously established character.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So a fun thing about the Eve fight. As it turns out, if you die at the same time as getting hit by the scripted shockwave that disables your poo poo, it softlocks the game, as I found out when I played through Route B on hard (don't play on hard mode). You can't even self-destruct to get out of it. I sure had fun repeating the last hour or so of gameplay to get back up to that point!

:yokotaro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Imo walking away is the best option. You can't know without prior knowledge that Pascal is going to commit suicide, killing him doesn't really solve the problem, and wiping his memories is just tempting fate for the same thing to happen again.

• Locked thread