Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
1 out of 26 endings achieved.

And to think, none of them require getting every weapon in the game and upgrading to max!

I mean, the sidequests are still all kinds of hosed up, but that's why we follow this mad bastard and let him make games anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Imagine you're a developer who is loving great at creating action games. It is your forte and you know it. Square Enix lets you pick the title of your choice to make a sequel. One of the choices would cause you to get to work with Yoko Taro. the other options do not.

There is only one answer here, man!

But if you work with Yoko taro, he will end up drinking more, potentially shortening his life expectancy.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Spoilers: This eventually changes in the second playthrough. But it’s not like NIER’s second playthrough where suddenly Tyrann was a party member translating the Shades’ language and revealing we’re being kind of a huge dick. It’s just boss names having a naming theme of philosophers. In this case Marx. As in Karl Marx.

Now, this game will have some deep philosophical questions on the nature of what it means to be alive and what is a soul and what not. But the boss names? The machines just did that for funsies

It''s not entirely for funsies. After all, you're in a factory, fighting the means of production

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

These few sentences read kinda weirdly, and I'm not really sure what's being said. Can I get a little clarification? :saddowns:

drat near everything you kill drops something. Upgrade materials, health potions, plugin chips, and stat boosters, but you have to manually pick up every little thing until you get a chip that does it for you

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I feel like I was the only person who immediately thought of Devastator instead of a metal gear or something. They even call it a transforming robot!

The hunchback design made me think of a warlord titan from 40k at first. There's a few later scenes that just reinforce that view of them.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I hope we find out more about the aliens that invaded and their motivation for apparently just dumping a bunch of stubby little guys (and other machines) on Earth and calling it a day. And why they didn't finish the job by doing the same thing with the moon. I guess they're better armed there, what with all the harpoons for whaling.

Given Mankind's history in the Taroverse, I'm halfway convinced that the moon has been turned into a single, giant, gently caress-off huge fortress with all the guns and armor that applies.

And the aliens actually WANT to leave the planet, but the humans keep shooting down any craft leaving Earth, just in case it's a prelude to attacking the moon or going to get help. Thus the war continues forever.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

This is like that Arthur meme. "When the robo-boy you started getting emotional over doesn't remember you because he reverted to an earlier backup after your suicide pact."

Wonder why they break up this ongoing conflict in separate Wars. Do they have a go at, fail, take a break and go "Okay, let's call this Round 2?"

Probably cycling between high-intensity periods of conflict to seize ground/repel concentrated machine assaults and periods of lower intensityl raiding and skirmishing where both sides are rebuilding their forces for the next Big Push

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Considering that humans have space stations and stuff, and the machines apparently don't or at least can't destroy them, I think they're really over-complicating the whole thing by sending androids down when they could just bomb the machines from orbit.

I mean, they probably want the planet to still be livable when the war's over, which requires an intact biosphere, and WMD's have a tendency to gently caress those up so...

Regardless, I'm sure we'll learn why the humans haven't started harvesting the rest of the solar system for material in due time.

Or we can knock an order of magnitude off the dates for something just slightly more sane.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The harvesting machines are rebelling, would you want to make a giant robot to harvest mars if the last time you made a thing to harvest grain it tried to punch you to death?

no, the robots on the surface were created by aliens, pay attention.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nuebot posted:

They took over human factories and stuff though. That recorded dialogue that plays was from way before the aliens attacked, but the factory is pumping out little stubby machine lifeforms.

Sure, but that's just capturing a factory and converting it to make weapons, not an argument against using factories

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
funnily enough, in gameplay the self destruct actually leaves you alive with 1hp, while dealing some pretty strong damage in a large AoE.

It also blows off the skirt, leaving 2b in a leotard thing.

Guess what it gets used most often for.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Zereth posted:

... They what?

One of them has started a workout routine, and is shocked that the other didn't notice her robo gainz.

Which makes no goddamned sense, unless mankind programmed the androids to get fat

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

Well. That's certainly a huge-looking desert.

Does 2B, like, move slower in the sand or anything?

no, but once you're going down hill she does this slide thing that interrupts your sprint, which is annoying

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I destroyed the party tank and every machine in the amusement park.

Why?

For the Glory of Mankind.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

From the main thread:

Just what are the operators doing with all that research data?

Apparently, making a Human Culture wiki, with all the accuracy and stunning requirements that entails.

The edit wars are legendary in their speed and ferocity.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
that leaves you at 1HP though.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

have you seen the designs of the combat androids

i'm beginning to suspect the Council of Humanity's design team may have had other priorities in mind

Look, when you make your combat robots strong enough and tough enough that adding additional armor accomplishes basically nothing, why not make them look pretty while you're at it.

Alternatively, they're all designed and built by the androids themselves, who want to be as close to their human masters as possible.

Still doesn't explain why their main firearms are loving STG-44's though.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
You can also charge your pod programs as you run, that slows down time a bit and was the only thing that let me recover from a full faceplant off the skyscraper in the third race

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

havenwaters posted:

He picked that one because he drinks with one of the people high up on the project and can tell from the guy's piercing eyes that he'd definitely create something like dangan ronpa

edit: for gravity rush 2 he also drinks with someone on that team:

:allears:

Yoko Taro is such a treasure.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

euphronius posted:

This game is real good. It should be taught.

It gets even better.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Mazed posted:

The timeline stuff throws me. This is forever ago and the machines are shown to have a culture that's progressed far enough to have soul-crushing office hellscapes (never mind the renaissance faire in the woods) yet when our android heroes show up, the boys they meet can barely stutter out words. It's a conflicting thing between this existing machine society, and the one that seemed to evolve on an accelerated rate as 2B and 9S were stomping around.

Regardless, this is a really neat little sequence. And the sound design in the operating room is fantastic.

Yeah, the girls in the red dresses made the machine network seem more like a standard robot overlord faction but this makes them look like the friggin pentagon wars.

Then again, the machines were deliberately setting up for failure, so maybe they wanted to replicate Human R&D and general staff?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Yoko Taro once said in an interview that the reason his games have multiple endings is to save development time by reusing resources.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before he managed to re-use the advertising as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Picayune posted:

Meanwhile I'm sitting here going "... those are some PRICEY-rear end DOLLS they are destroying there, goddamn, what was their budget?"

Their budget was YT drinking with the Square Enix Execs then getting them to sign checks while drunk.

Which was strange for him, as usually he has to get them drunk before they let him make a game period.

• Locked thread