Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sweet, a new Nier LP, and it's from The Dark Id.

All aboard Yoko Taro's newest Wild Ride, now designed by Hideki Kamiya.
Round and round it goes, and how wild it is, nobody knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

Keeping that in mind, that was one of the 26 Endings of NieR: Automata. Yeah... there's an ending for every letter of the alphabet this time around. That was Ending W. All but five of them are mostly for loving up badly during the course of the game. We'll be hitting all of 'em as we progress through this title. I'm not even allowed to do the fake everyone dies gag anymore. Yoko Taro stole it all... Jerk. :v:

26 endings? Holy moly :yokotaro:

How are this game sales going? Can we expect further crazy gems from our favorite crazy Emil mask director? I did my part and preordered (Platinum + Yoko Taro) but I won't have time to play it for a couple months probably. Oh well, time to play vicariously until I can play non-vicariously.

The Dark Id posted:

Spoilers: Weapon History stories are back in a big way and they are CONSIDERABLY more hosed than Nier 1 or Drakengard 3. Like I need to keep a murder/suicide/child death counter on that poo poo because DANG.

:allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This is a Platinum game, no doubts about it. Man, is Engels snazzy.

wiegieman posted:

I mean, it was big terrifying unmanned drone, but that's Raiden's tutorial boss fight. The UMG Ray gets a literal giant laser and it still can't hold a candle to him, even in his outdated combat frame.

To be fair, that was a Ray. Raiden had already dismantled about 20 of those in a row, and that was before becoming a breakdancing cyborg ninja. It would be like sending a goomba against Mario, by now it's breakfast.
To be even more fair, Rays suck. I mean, they were meant to be specialized Metal Gear hunters, and Metal Gear themselves so they could pursue their targets. Then in 4 you repair and pilot Rex against a Ray and win despite the supposed type disadvantage. Rays SUCK.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Meh, it's an Yoko Taro game. It might be an actual spoiler, it might be TDI joking, you can't deny that wasn't already in the cards from the start.

The Dark Id posted:

WE STOLE THAT ROBOT’S loving ARM!

Let your country control your mind
Let your country control your soul

What? Rules of Nature doesn't apply here, we didn't slice Engel in half with our sword, we used his arm.
Does that count as reappropriating the means of production by the way?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:yokotaro: man. Yoko Taro.

Somebody already said it, but really, what are the odds of humanity still being there and alive?
On the other hand, it may be too easy a twist for our Sith Lord now, so I guess if by lets say ending A* this twist hasn't triggered then humanity is still kicking. Somehow.

*defined as the first non game-over ending. I have no idea what its letter will actually be.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rangpur posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure there aren't any missable sidequests between now and when fast travel unlocks. This is the evolution of Yoko Taro's game design philosophy--now he convinced players to troll themselves.

To be fair, the whole of the game industry has trolled players on this since probably Pong; see for example Tales of Symphonia where some sidequests unlock when you enter the final boss chamber and are lost forever if you actually engage the final boss.
By having sidequests you automatically troll your players base (or at least the completionists) for free.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Yeah, if you think that Drakengard or Nier were "relatively normal games", either you've forgotten about a good chunk of them, or you've got terminal Yokotarosis.

You'd be amazed at what the human mind can become inured to.

Bad Seafood posted:

Alfred Hitchcock once said in an interview, "If I did a story or, say, a musical about Cinderella, they would be waiting for the body to turn up - if my name were on the picture." Yoko Taro's in the same boat now.

This, pretty much. Yoko Taro is a known unknown. By now, we know to expect something, even if we don't know exactly what, and so our favorite Sith Lord has to up the craziness ante, lest his Force lightning grow stale and boring.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 15, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't recall hearing that sound anywhere in-game, and certainly not where it's eminating from in the video.

Guess it's the beginning of the end for my ears.

Are you using the same setup for your ps4 and PC / do you have the steam version?
It might simply be that the audio setup you're using for your PS4 cuts those frequencies out.

If you have the same setup / the steam version. I've got nothing.

E: :tinfoil: unless Youtube's reencoding now detects soundwaves in those border ranges and drops them down a couple kiloHertzes so everyone can hear them. :tinfoil:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

NotSpain archers? Zero and sisters? Some doves?
Caim and Angelus?

gently caress I'd like a Caim, Angelus and Caim's crocs boss fight, even as a non-canon bonus boss.
(I have no clue if Caim is in the game or not)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well that didn't take long.

Am I the only one that thought the machines were making a Seed of Origin or however the Watcher seeds were called?
Then again, discount Sephiroth here might be a Watcher variant, he may not be giant but he's certainly hitting the naked and baby parts, and two out of three isn't bad.

E: oh god is this guy Adam going to be the Platinum Rival?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 21, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Augus posted:

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Drakengard!
Drakengard!

Goddammit why does this work so perfectly?

Nice to see that on Yoko Taro's wild ride, even the Platinum Rival is outta there.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, Platinum games tend to include a recurring boss fight against an enemy with a moveset comparable to the player's. Examples include Nelo Angelo from the first Devil May Cry, Jeanne in Bayonetta and Prince Vorken in Wonderful 101.
No way Adam and Steve there aren't this game's rivals.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Haystack posted:

So in Nier 1 when the replicants cleaned up the white chlorination particles, how did they dispose of it? Did they, by any chance, shoot it into space? :tinfoil:

They dumped it back into Drakengard 3. D3 heavily hints during the prologue that cathedral city in notSpain is actually the ruins of Tokyo.
If by any chance somebody want to object that Drakengard 3 takes place before Drakengard 1: :thejoke:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FredMSloniker posted:

That reminds me. Usually in a game or anime, this:

...would just be an image full of symbolism, not something that happens in-world. The way the image was presented, though, makes me wonder if the boss tried to escape into the protagonists' heads...

If that image happened in-universe, I'd say it's an accidental broadcast by the dying boss. 2B firewalls held up quite nicely there.

On the other hand, though, will 9S's firewall hold just as well? I could see that as a mid-game twist.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So I finally broke down and bought this game. And a controller to play it. And a new graphics card to run it. gently caress me...

Can't wait to inevitably and unknowingly commit heinous crimes against everything good left in the world!

I'd debate the unknowingly. We all knew what we were signing up for when we bought a Yoko Taro game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

There's totally going to be a Pascal boss fight later in the game, isn't it? :smith:

The Dark Id posted:

Alert: Leaving the operational area has resulted in significant allied casualties.

Yeah, yeah. We’re just going to swing past the Amusement Park. It’s like three minutes longer a trek. It’ll be just fi—

The extinction of YoRHa is also surely a matter of time.

.......Wait, poo poo! When did I save the game last...? Son of a...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT2: Also, Inuart's price pact is known well in advance. Unlike Veredelt's. While I doubt it would have been as impactful as the Watchers reveal, it was probably worth a few laughs.

Can somebody remind me what Inuart's pact price was? I'd like to say his dignity but he clearly had none beforehand.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Leraika posted:

I'm really scared for Pascal's village now :ohdear:

No way we don't get orders to raze that village to the ground and salt the earth for good measure.
I said it before, I'll say it again: Pascal is totally going to be a boss later on. :smith:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RevolverDivider posted:

Oh man, this gonna be good.

Or rather, how about we don't take the obvious troll bait and talk about almost anything else before we get the thread locked?

Sooo, those Facade masks those 'bots in the desert are wearing, I'm assuming they're not original since there's no way a mask would keep that long, but why the reference? Were they war trophies from way back then, incorporated into that particular robotic division's uniform and then kept on because of institutional inertia?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

White Coke posted:

Is there an Ayn Rand boss fight?

She keeps threatening to leave the boss fight, because how dare those mooching androids steal the fruits of her hard work.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I sure was not expecting Romeos and Juliets, a murder in 6 robots.

I can't help but think the Bard would approve of this though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Emil is back? Emil is back! :unsmith:

I wonder, do we have a visual novel area just ahead? It's a forest, there's even Emil there, it wouldn't be amiss.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glad to see ICO's castle is still finding work.
Hello mr. robot Masamune, do you have a collegue named Muramasa somewhere?

'Sup 1B. Maybe 0B or PB (P for prototype). Something tells me you'll fit right in here in :yokotaro: land.
Please tell me the new android is actually Kainé that got the Motoko Kusanagi treatment. (Ok it would be a terrible twist, but I miss Kainé)

AradoBalanga posted:

Correction: there is no safe anywhere in a Yoko Taro game. Well, maybe except the start menu, we haven't seen any character get killed off there yet.

Remind me, did the narrator in D3 get the Zero treatment before or after the start menu?
In any way, give it time and have faith in the dark side of the force.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 11, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Edit: So, any theories as to why all the forest machines considered an apparently non-communicative baby bot as their king?

:shrug:
They thought Emil was inside the baby-bot?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Screaming Idiot posted:

"A2, this is a direct order from Command: report to a vending machine and put clothes on immediately."
"gently caress YOU THERE ARE MACHINES THAT NEED STABBING."
"Your epidermis is-"
"gently caress YOU SKIN JUST SLOWS ME DOWN WHEN I AM STABBING."
"We can see your-"
"IT IS STAB O'CLOCK AND I AM INCREDIBLY PUNCTUAL."

This is probably the reason why the Caim series of Yorha android has been discontinued.
Sure, central command may say they want a dynamic and flexible approach to machine murder, but show an iota of actual flexibility or dynamicity and your whole line ends up mothballed.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Chokes McGee posted:

Gotta say, this ride hasn't been quite as :yokotaro: as in the past. Did they finally rein him in, or are we just waiting for the crazy dam to break?

We haven't reached ending A yet.

This is more or less the calm before the storm, in the first Nier we'd be a couple cutscenes away from the Jimbolord showing up and kidnapping Yonah. In this, I dunno, None Wang Angels are going to kidnap 6O or something?
What I'm trying to say is that as soon as TheDarkId stops putzing around with sidequests we'll get an overdose of :tviv:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's a ridiculous amount of poo poo that somehow only one or two people will ever see. I'm not crazy!

Imagine if this game came out say 20-25 years ago, before widespread internet.
Aeris and general Leo rumors would have nothing on what our most vicious Sith Lord would have spawned

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zoe posted:

So...are these meant to be clones or copies of Devola and Popola? They were bad at their jobs and hosed up absolutely everything, they don't deserve to be alive all these thousands of years later. :mad: Especially after being killed, and all.

...oh wait. Yoko Taro game. Hahahaha, being alive is the worst punishment possible, enjoy the endless heartache and misery that comes with existing in this setting ladies.

There can be multiple copies of the same android at the same time, we saw like fifty Accords back in Draken 3, these two are probably other copies of the Popola and Devola line.
I'd say the ones from Nier 1 are dead without backups, unless of course it'll turn out they're actually the same ones, you never know exactly where you stand with our Sith Lord :yokotaro:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

...What the gently caress?

:suspense:
Is this the beginning of the madness?
Because it feels like the beginning of the madness and I can't wait to discover what comes next.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did discount Sephiroth (& brother) build all this since they were born? drat they work fast, although cubemancy probably helped.

Kavak posted:

His typical JRPG babble about humans, life, etc. seems to ignore the progress Pascal and his ilk have made. Were they earlier attempts? Do they not count because they're outside the network?

Also End of the Unknown is loving BOSS. Swear I've heard those chants before.

Adam is in his emo manchild phase. If he stamps his feet, covers his ears and say "nuh nuh" then it doesn't count :jerkbag:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stephen9001 posted:

Turns out the only problem with this quote is it puts Caim into the category of "Good man". I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Caim as much as you guys, but I don't think he should really be considered a "good man", he's far too into murder for that to be the case. Even if he mostly only murders bad people.

That's because Caim is the exception. Any time he's spending not murdering is, well, time spent not murdering. He hasn't time for gloating and the like when he could instead be stabbing the next in line.

I'd also say that the essence of the quote is that a bad man would love this poo poo, and Caim's two big loves are murder and Red.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Renditious posted:

I don't think he has a throat to cut, though.

We also had Disembowel-myself-honorably in not-China/not-Japan, plus the ones in not-Australia, in not-Jerusalem and I might be forgetting one or two other Dibblers. Regional variations on the nickname are fine. Thus:
Lose-my-head Emil?
Head-drop-off Emil?
Kainé-smite-me Emil?
Or-I'm-a-shithog Emil?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

axeil posted:

Hahaha that might be the best non-standard ending so far in the game.

There's still time for others to top this but it's still amazing.
The drawback of this ending is that you have to watch the cutscenes and do the fight with Adam (RIP) again, unless 2B rigged Adam's corpse as a save station.

Speculation, the machine network feels similar to what the androids use to back themselves up. Same base tech being used in similar but slightly different implementations (as in, humanity or the aliens swiped the idea from the other guys)?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

OK. As funny as it would be to murder Adam then shrug and leave before rescuing 9S, let’s do this properly. If you’re wondering, Adam’s body evaporated immediately after his death cutscene ends. Sorry. No t-bagging his corpse in victory following the battle. 9S, however...

Am I the only one that's thinking that this is a fakeout and Adam isn't actually dead?

Actually, thinking about this some more, this may actually be it for None Wang Angel on route A. Now, anyone believing this is the end of Adam's contributions to the plot in all routes, I have a tower in Pisa I'd like to sell to you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Geemer posted:

Caim coming back to life doesn't sound like a happy ending. :black101:

It is for him and Red, and they're the only ones that count.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I call bullshit on this ending's name.
If you meet a cultist talking about God on the road, kill him before he can summon the apocalypse.

chiasaur11 posted:

Every letter and one more, for good luck.

And I wouldn't make assumptions about which endings count going forward, considering the Drakengard ending that lead us here.

So it is possible for a poor sod to get every letter ending and wonder why the trophy isn't triggering?
Hold on, where was that link? Oh, here it is

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I seriously hope the moonrunes aren't spoilers because that fanart is amazing.

E:f,b: gently caress. Somebody please remember to post a translation when it's no longer spoilers please.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That happened.
It was, somehow, both what I was expecting and not what I was expecting.
Still, suffer not a jPRG cultist to live.

Oxxidation posted:

Every major encounter with the machines so far has consisted of them emulating more and more complex aspects of humanity but sort of missing the plot when it comes to fine details.
[...]
The forest kingdom is exploring the idea of an independent state and loyalty to a monarch, so they're paranoid nutters screaming about honor and duty without having any idea of what those words mean and plotting counterattacks against imaginary foes in the name of a mute and soon-to-be shish-kebobbed baby.

I dunno, I feel there's some parallel to be had here to actual historical happenings and that the forest robots got even the details fairly accurately.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This is my :psyduck: Automata story
I've finally found some time to play on my own (I'm still way behind, I've just performed the cesarean section on Adam), but this is so loving strange.

When TDI showed the desert video with the high pitch noise, I had no problems hearing that. On my PS4, though, I can't actually hear it, and it's strange because I use exactly the same sound setup for both my PC and PS4 (HDMI cable to the same monitor); furthermore, checking on the external amplifier I could see that the high pitched noise was actually reaching it and thus the speakers, which means it's higher pitch than what I hear on youtube. Random tries (e.g. swapping the HDMI cables) produced no changes in either situation.
(Just to check I googled a random "automata desert pod" video with the same results. Luckily I saw no spoilers)

TDI, what version of the game are you playing, PC or PS4?
Because I wouldn't put past them to have a version with a pitch 1k/2k hertzes higher than the other to troll people.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mokinokaro posted:

YouTube compresses the audio range. It could just be that.

It's probably this, but let me have my insane conspiracy theories in a Yoko Taro game.
To test this I would have to buy (or "buy" :filez:) the steam version and check. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The timing on some of those extra endings seems a bit trollish. Are all the other letters needed for ending D or is it an all weapons unlock as usual?
Was the usual simply all the weapons or all weapons fully upgraded?

• Locked thread