Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am super, super ready for this LP.

Thanks for doing what you do TDI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about all of these quick shifts in shooter mode is that for the most part, they're not very jarring transitions and flow naturally into each other. The point where TDI died in the first highlight video might actually be the worst transition I can think of in the entire game though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are a poo poo tonne of lessons that games could have been learned from the original NieR, warts and all, and I struggle to think of many that did. Still, it helps that NieR: Automata is a true sequel to NieR so maybe now developers will get it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hard to say sales overall because it's not info that's been released entirely but SteamSpy suggests it broke 200k on PC the other day and I think the JP version did that on its first week of launch in Feb too?

Either way, there's no huge reason to believe this game is a sales flop at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People are generally really good with using spoiler tags in the NieR thread in games if you want to go there to troubleshoot and get questions answered rather than in here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a bit different but the specifics aren't massively transformative.
Platinum wanted to do a NieR 1 port to Vita because a lot of them loved NieR.
Yosuke Saito wanted to work with Yoko Taro or he'd quit S-E.
Yoko Taro was probably drunk as a skunk doing something somewhere.
Square-Enix wanted to work with Platinum.

When all the players came together, S-E said "We should just make a real sequel instead of a Vita port".
It's a real great story of the perfect players all coming together at the right time in the right circumstances coincidentally.

And then apparently Saito/Taro/Taura sheepishly asked Akihiko Yoshida if they'd do some character designs and he jumped at the chance and knocked up the three character designs you're probably thinking of and I think Taro said at PAX that the first draft of them is what they went with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

darealkooky posted:

I could literally mash dodge near enemies and avoid stuff without issue

You can, and the only time this isn't true if you're being combod staggered by specific enemies, which you can still counter in another way.

You'll get hit still if you badly mistime a dodge though but it's pretty hard to do

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Based on watching the second video, I think TDI made a cut there, because before that jump there weren't bullets anywhere near him.

Possibly there was, but I was speaking from experience.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd collect toys of those little robots. They're really simply designed but that just makes them all the cuter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of what is essentially the theme song of the game which we'll get to when we get to it, I have a clear favourite which isn't especially far into the game but yeah, the OST managed to live up to the hype of NieR 1's, though I personally give the first game the nod overall at least in songs, but not in how the soundtrack is used.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Literally afraid to buy the game because everyone is saying that it's an unoptimized mess of a port which should turn my already half-dead GTX 570 (which burned me on Doom just last year which couldn't even get to the title screen) into dust.

Personally wouldn't recommend buying it on a 570 but there's a fix complication out called FAR (on mobile, can't link atm sorry) that fixes bugs and also allows you to dramatically lower the stress on the system to the point where a 570 might be good enough. Maybe you could ask a buddy to do library sharing or something?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, that mini-doc is really, really good but it will spoil a bunch of future stuff so don't watch it until TDI says it's safe if you've not played/only following Automata via this LP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, no. Not sure why people are so twitchy about a handful of zero context clips short enough that they might as well be screenshots but it's kind of ridiculous.

Because this is an LP thread where the LP'er specifically said there's no spoiling of future content at all as opposed to the main thread in Games where you can happily discuss any of the content of it without worrying about that? Not hard to understand and decency is free.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's going to be a real trip when we find out the fixed point lazer cannon was only aiming at our comrades who said Breath of the Wild was only a 9/10

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Revengeance is a masterpiece.

And the good thing is that they knew and accepted it had a low budget so instead of just stretching it out more than needed, it made the best of what it had so instead of being a middling 20 hours with 10 hours of content, it's like 7 hours on a first go with 7 hours of kick rear end content.

Keep an eye out for Steam sales for it, it's not demanding and comes with just about all DLC (it might have one or two cosmetic things missing I dunno, anything worthwhile is there).
It's been a long while since I watched it, but I think the first episode or two of ChipCheezum's LP of it should be all you need to know that you need to play Rising.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's NieR: Automata's character modeller, Hito Matsudaira, going into detail about how he created 2B's model.

There's an image of the official pattern on her dress at the end too.

The article itself is completely spoiler free, but cross off when you hit the end (when you see the pattern) because comments could be a minefield.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/an-exclusive-look-at-the-creation-of-2b-by-nier-automatas-character-modeller/

~The unenlightened masses, they cannot make the judgement call~

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VagueRant posted:

I wanted to play the game when I had spare cash and a working graphics card, but all the bullet hell gameplay looks...really offputting to me. Not what I want out of a Platinum action game. Is it negligible on lower difficulty settings or anything?

Deffo intrigued to see where it goes in LP form though. Really wondered what Dark Id's reaction was when I saw all the talk about the game!

Also, couple little typos:

You have to go out of your way to die on Easy, and Normal isn't a lot harder either. The Prologue is the hardest part of Hard, the rest is manageable if you know what to do.

So bullet hell shouldn't be an off putting factor for you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The "alien invasion" thing was actually stated in the postgame Nier audio discs way back when, but everyone figured it to be a joke. Little did they know that the cosmos is a joke, and Yoko merely delivers the punchlines.

Seriously, though, between that and the "Mikhail gets nuked" postscript of Drakengard 3 it seems like Yoko's of the opinion that everything eventually ends in calamity if you take a long enough view of events. The alien invasion happened a long, long time after Nier was done destroying the world after it was previously destroyed by evil magic salt.

The tag line quote of a release window for an interview for NieR: Automata was something like "I don't believe Humanity will have an happy ending" so this is generally just something he believes in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/849292882741567488

NieR: Automata has broken a million sales!

NieR: Automata has only just broken a million despite being this drat good

:negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The stern look line is one of my favourite things in the game. The mental imagery is superb.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only issue here is the forehead shading makes it more like she's depressed or sick than stern. It's still legit as gently caress though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Never noticed how small the Commander's feet are on her picture. It's kinda cute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Id should just post his LP's to a tumblr or something. There, completely spoiler free and under his complete control over what gets posted and not posted. So much fun. Emotions are prohibited.

Sure, if by that you mean drive by spoilers on the notes in a much more easily done and less punishable fashion while also having extremely bad image file requirements!!!

If someone sees and says something about something weird that has an explanation eventually, they're probably also aware that it likely has an explanation at some point. Talking about vague wording that could be a spoiler is what makes vague wording a spoiler. I think spoiler culture has gotten out of hand in recent years but when the thread OP says none, just ignore anything egregious if you know that there's a little something to talk about with it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The ruins aren't so great, but their music is nice. I wouldn't say the ruins are bad either, they give you a nice play area for your navigation abilities, but yeah, pretty run of the mill overall.

Moose are probably one of the few enemies in the game that are straight up dangerous even on Normal. You don't gently caress with them on Hard mode.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 8, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope it's all a joke and retains the canon "staying up banging the presidents daughter all night? loving gross dude" ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Geemer posted:

Y'all are loving pansies if moose and boar give you trouble past the first boss fight after the intro.

Before then, you're still kinda figuring out the controls and learning how to dodge, but after there is no excuse.

It's the fact they'll happily one shot you with zero wind up that warns you off, not the fact they're actually hard to fight. It's not worth the aggro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pure Water sucks, there's a way to respawn the nodes that give it fairly easily though, but we're a million miles away from it.

You can cheese the corpse system by turning down to Easy if you really really want to. There's not a huge reason for it to be in the game but its not the end of the world either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I never knew I wanted to pet Wesker before, but here we are. It's an incredibly strange mental image and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Complete.
Global.
Saturation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a TDI thread until he locks it down for a day or two

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Sandman posted:

I just hope to eventually see where the hell the other Sound Data items are, because damned if I know where to find them.

Posting the answer to the to this in the main games thread

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

9S won't do anything in any circumstance on Passive, including defend himself if hit by an attack. Enemies won't acknowledge him at all either so it's just for playing without the AI mucking in at all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Square are re-printing Nier 1 on PS3 to celebrate Automata coming out, so no better time than to do Life in the Sands for yourself.
https://store.eu.square-enix.com/uk/product/441818/nier-ps3

Not sure if this link will auto re-direct to your region

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FFXV's fishing is decent, but I didn't even bother trying to catch the really stupidly hard fish to get.

Maybe mute character voices so you don't hear the same tired poo poo when doing it too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That chip you get from that quest is basically the only defensive chip you'll need on Hard mode for quite a while.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was a DLC package of costumes announced today to come out in early May and part of it is a new area to do things in. Go check out the main thread in Games if you want to see the details of it because it's all stuff we're not going to get to in this LP for a while yet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thisuck posted:

Where do you see this info?

It's also interesting how one of the first things we're told is "emotions are prohibited" but even with the first few quests and communications, the whole Bunker is essentially a highschool/frat house.

Glory to Mankind.

(Kho-)dazat talked about it in the main Automata thread. They read/write Japanese and English so it's first hand from them.

They also said it's there in Automata in regards to 2B, but it's not night and day different characters.

Momomo posted:

I've seen people say Zero is a lot more emotionless in Japanese, the implication being that they were taken by each of her sisters, and the English made her more pissed off in general. I don't think this works though, because there are many times Zero's actions are very clearly "I am very pissed off", and wouldn't work if she didn't actually care.

Drakengard 3 is a weird game because Yoko Taro explicitly tried to do something different, and it was never supposed to be the same as Nier or the first Drakengard. It works in some cases, it fails in others, but so do the rest of his games.

Zero'd obviously get mad, like when the Airship goes down, but "I'm doing this because I'm real pissed off" and "I'm doing this because I want to get this poo poo over with and don't care what people think" aren't hugely far removed.
In terms of Automata, there's little reason to believe the actual text is inaccurate, but there are distinct differences in tone and delivery between English 2B and Japanese 2B at times.

Kira Buckland definitely comes across a lot more harsh and blunt than Yui Ishikawa, who feels more detached, somewhat similarly to how Japanese Zero is meant to be.

It probably is due to different audiences getting to grips better with certain archetypes, but It's definitely not the be all and end all and this game supports both languages out of the box, so just swap if you dislike one or the other.

There's a free 2B outfit coming to Gravity Rush 2. I think it's free anyway.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 17, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't hear that sound in game but can on the video, so I can only imagine that the mixing on TDI's end is squashing the audio range or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Definitely not Facade Machines are very cute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's how my first play went too, so I reloaded.

Didn't discover the oil field YoRHa until pretty late into my second full playthrough of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The real Yoko Taro starts here :getin:

• Locked thread