Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

Dishonored having all the non-lethal quest solutions be clearly far and away more hosed up and morally indefensible was a great idea.

I think the first and last one before the mid-game twist are quite easy to justify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have to say the most unsettling thing I have seen in the lp has been the theme park.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So 9S is... a Heartless?! Of course! That explain Xenisen too!

I really hope the plot in this is simpler the Kingdom Heart's because goddamn.

It would take some effort not to be simpler then Kingdom Hearts due to the series going across three console generations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just joined the Nier train as well. For those on the fence on getting this for the PS4. If you have a PS plus account you get $18 off which is a decent deal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I just want to say, I absolutely adore the reveal of the watchers because of how... "Delicate" isn't the word, but there was no thunderous fanfare or terror stings, just... a baby, then lot's of babies, and enough time to think "...okay but WHY baby?" as they sorta flew around a bit and landed, before the teeth gnashing begins in earnest.

Taro really understands the value of being able to let you come to realizations yourself before throwing that piano into the industrial shredder :allears: What a goddamn hero

I still remember stumbling upon that clip on youtube by accident and just staring at the screen as I wondered what the gently caress I was watching.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to playing the game today and wow. This has been one of the weirdest experiences playing video games. Also I am surprised that no reference was made to the its a healthy baby boy trophy for being Adam.

Edit: Meant to say beating Adam.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 9, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing quite like being a bit further on this crazy ride of a game, allowing you to know and look forward to the crazy bits that will come up whilst also knowing that even more insanity awaits you on your personal file.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

You wouldn't even believe how many people keep coming into the Games thread just to complain about losing 2 hours of progress due to the Mackerel killing them.

After Jackass explicitly tells you it'll probably kill you.

By the way, 10 meters away from Jackass is a Save Station.

Oh, thanks to WiFi you don't even need to walk the 10 meters. Just open up the menu and hit A to quick save.

People still absolutely lose their poo poo about the game killing them via Mackerel.

I was caught off guard in that being an actual ending and nothing else. Of course I still saved before eating the drat fish so I lost nothing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To me it feels like a desperate attempt to try and keep all the Androids focused on completing the mission of ridding the world of machines. Without it the androids would quickly become a never ending teen drama.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

I took it to be a family thing as well. Even if they aren't Yorha, the military androids on earth must live awful, lonely lives. Plus, what with the machines becoming smarter and starting to replicate humanity with the whole baby thing, I'd be surprised if androids weren't ahead of them, grappling with more complicated emotional issues instead of the early forms of mimicry.

It's still creepy as poo poo, but I don't think we should jump to the worst option just because Drakengard.

The thing with Drakengard is the sheer variety of horrors in store for the unlucky bastards who live in the setting. So my take of the worst option is that though messed up, affection went both ways in the relationship until the mysterious forces killed them both.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As Hellraiser so aptly puts it, "We have such sights to show you."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What are you talking about? This is the lighthearted part of the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

I dearly love all these machines. like, everything in the game seems morally ambiguous at best, but I can't conceive of any better cause than helping out Pascal and his people. :3:

Even Jean-Paul? I just find it so weird that 99% of the village are really sweet and endearing and then you have this rear end in a top hat just hanging around.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Qrr posted:

I am a little confused about the hatred for Jean-Paul here. Three people send him stuff he doesn't want. He tells you he doesn't want it. Somehow, he's the villain in this. It's odd.

Because he is a self-righteous rear end.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Big Whoop posted:

Yeah I know he says he follows everyone that responded to him, but it still made me really happy considering I have less than 100 followers. He just seems like such a nice guy.
Just as long as you don't ask him to tell your kids bedtime stories.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

McFetusBurger posted:

Didn't 9S keep saying the machines aren't intelligent and don't say anything meaningful? He's sure taking this functional village of sentient robots in stride. He also seems pretty ok with talking to and helping them out. Not at all trying to call out bad writing (though the speed at which he changes his stance is pretty jarring), in fact it seems like this current generation of androids thinks a lot more flexibly on their duty and attitude towards the machines (we've seen multiple desertions even though they just deployed at the beginning of the game, including 2 who were hiding out in a machine village).

Keep hoping this game goes on sale for the summer sale.

There is a couple explanations for it. One is that he doesn't really believe it and is just rehashing the company motto to help him get through his job. The other is that he is naturally curious due to being a scanner so since the village is an intriguing puzzle he is more then happy to explore the residents to try and figure out what makes them tick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

McFetusBurger posted:

Announcer bot has stage fright. That or it has no confidence in the show's artistic message and is only in it for the pay check.

Can the bots survive explosion and self destruction like our androids?

This question is answered later on in the story.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a better skill for dealing with the mobs but ID has yet to pick it up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember having nearly as much problems getting the stick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

I disagree. There's a very clear moral.

Don't be a baby.

In the Yoko Taro universe there is no safe age to be.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
9S is the one who actually tried to figure out what her deal was. 2B is the one who couldn't care less and wants to kill her for command.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think there is only one enemy in the entire game that I did not see bombs just melt when charged enough.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought those heads only showed up later.

Edit: As a general warning, don't look up to find out about those heads if you wish to remain unspoiled on the plot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This game will make it very obvious when the crazy starts.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I forget the exact lines but he gets pissed off if you hit him during the race.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eopia posted:

My very first response to 'they had it comin' machine was to murder the poo poo out of it. I signed up for treasure, not desecrating a grave and the extra creep factor from it after settled the matter.

Same here.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KamikazePotato posted:

This is not at all relevant to the gigantic fish machine currently wreaking havoc, but I found it and feel the need to post it regardless.

Are you sure that should be posted?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Power Bottom posted:

Wakka would be losing his poo poo well before that point. Machina that look and act like people? It'd be a miracle if he didn't have a stroke.

Most people would have at least a minor breakdown from seeing the birth of Adam and Eve.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You don't even notice the countdown until he yells at you to hurry up and you have just long enough to start panicing and then it is all over.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You have to almost actively try not to pick up everything once you that chip.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

So, what IS a logic virus, anyway? I'm pretty sure 2B mentioned something about it in the prologue, when 9S was bleeding out like a chump.

The logic virus will be given more attention as the story develops.

Edit: Not sure if the last part counted as spoilers but just in case I am deleting it.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 13, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Well, there's also the whole "crucifying 9S" thing, but no one cares about poor ol' Nines.

It is kind of sad that the only ways he can get 2B to show any real concern for him involve mutilation in one way or the other.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: Pascal and his pacifist robot bros have been helpful and good, in the face of 9S' horrible racism.
At no point in the Drakengard series were Wyverns anything but enormous assholes entirely deserving of the hate coming their way.

If he is such a racist why was he so engaged with bringing the kid stubby back to his mother or trying to answer all the questions of the little sister machine.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They were getting ready to invade Pascal's village.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's a racist little turd. Also for reasons TDI has yet to cover.

What is your obsession with calling him racist? All Yorha androids are designed to wage a war of extermination against the machines so if you are going to call him racist then that means that everything on the planet besides Pascal's village is racist as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Resistance camp has been trading with Pascal's village for parts and the like for who knows how long :v: So clearly, not everyone is racist. So I will continue calling a racist a racist.

So when are you going to start calling 2B or the rest of yorha racist?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My first time playing through this level is one of my most memorable experiences gaming. Everything was all set to be creepy and then suddenly the head drops and everything goes insane.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

So did 9S see all of that the first time through and just not say anything?

You can blame that on 2B.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's one sticking point I have with the game, is reusing the tired old post-apocalypse look that other games use. The first Nier had people already rebuilding with bricks and mortar again, but this one is all sky scrappers and rusted out, reused materials for buildings. So like, did civilization advance to building skyscrapers again? Or are skyscrapers expected to last for ten thousand years and at least 13 more world wars?

Yeah yeah, it's more about the "aesthetic" they were going for than any actual lore reasons, but still, feel like it's a missed opportunity. Would have loved to see what the machine village would look like if they were able to build stuff on their own instead of just salvaging.

I don't know. A war going on for longer then human history is a perfectly good reason for everything to be reduced to rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I never noticed that little detail.

• Locked thread