Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
For once I have played the game to (near) completion before the LP so I can have some fun watching the reactions in the thread.

basically watching someone figure out this game is a combo of :jerky: and :getin: and it's great

Lord Licorice posted:

Same. The Drakengard and NieR LPs made me fall in love with moon-masked madman Taro's complex, bittersweet universe, connecting in a way I'd never have through straight video LPs or simple summaries.

I am incredibly pumped to read this LP, and super, super glad to be here for its beginning.

Thirding this. I really didn't have the means to play the original games so it was Id's LP's that got me pumped for Automata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

Do not look into it if you don't know anything about the game, because titles are spoilers.

And don't look at achievements on Steam! ... or Steam cards.

Goddamnit Steam.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Arkanumzilong posted:

Andromeda is a pretty good game too
That and maybe they where crazy like me and bought both nier and andromeda :p

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I own both Nier: Automata and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Come at me :colbert:

(:bisonyes: I've been waiting for this LP)

The key part here is that you both at least bought Nier.

All of this MG talk makes me want to check out Revengeance, despite not giving a poo poo about the series at all. Do or don't?

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Rangpur posted:

If only it changed his voice too. :allears:

Wouldn't like it, no sir:
"Graaaaaa-
gra-a-a-at-t-t-t
GRaatituuu-u-u-ude c-c-conf-"

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

And if we’re being real, just about ANY game fishing is usually mediocre to actively bad.

I don't know, Dark Cloud 2 had-

The Dark Id posted:

You’re broken in the brain and in denial just like those idiots who thought Blitzball was a good mini-game.

Oh, you got me twice in one sentence :smith:

Also, I do want to genuinely apologize for being part of the Dumb Idiot Spoiler Squad earlier. Gonna refrain from posting until you get further in.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Everyone talking about This Cannot Continue, no one talking about the Memories Of Dust vocal?

I'm with you, I love trekking through the desert area just because it has this track blaring. It's so dramatic :allears:

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Because it is relevant to this, a recent enough update and also because I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of fanart so far, I drew some of the villagers:

Goofy li'l tin cans :3:

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Eh what the hell, posting some more of my dumb art.

"Emotions are proh- eh forget it."

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Begemot posted:

Oh man, I found some Pascal concept art on tumblr:

Mascot Pascal is simultaneously adorable and terrifying.

N'aww, old man Pascal is adorable as heck :kimchi:
I can see him sitting around a campfire with the kidbots tellin' stories of his time before the village or something.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Hmmm... yeah, I wonder

how you're possibly

supposed to figure that out?

In defense of that guy, those vague blobs definitely don't look like alien ships to me and if the game didn't point it out I would have wondered what the hell that was all about.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
I was dreading this side-quest because it's apparently a very popular theory on the internet to assume that guy is A No Good Pedo™, but I just never saw it. Kind of glad I'm not the only one here who thought he just wanted a son?
Honestly I felt really bad about the machines (or YoRHa) destroying the budding family before they could be happy.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Oh so when machines make families it's adorable, but ONE ANDROID tries it and it's all awful and poo poo :colbert:

Omobono posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again: Pascal is totally going to be a boss later on. :smith:

He's pretty boss already as is, I don't know.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

I've actually noticed in my own game that there is a spherical face-like shape on Pascal's backpack thing, (...)

I have taken screenshots of him for cosplay reasons from several angles and I can't find the sphere? If you mean on the bottom of the "backpack", it's not round like all the Stubby faces, if you mean anywhere else... I don't see it.

He's a weird machine anomaly, strictly speaking about his face. I mean, even Simone had a Stubby face in her design.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Leraika posted:

Yep, it would totally suck. (and were terrified about missing a quest because Nier).

:negative:

Take solace in knowing you're not the only one :smith:

Spatula City posted:

I dearly love all these machines. like, everything in the game seems morally ambiguous at best, but I can't conceive of any better cause than helping out Pascal and his people. :3:

Except J-P. What a blight on an otherwise perfect little village.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Yaaaaay you got both ribbons :3:

This is one of the cutest sidequests period.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

2B ended up wearing that blue ribbon for a significant portion of the game when I played. It did nothing to make her less grumpy unfortunately.

If you don't slap it on her head the second you get either bows then I don't know what's wrong with you.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

JcDent posted:

I missed the clips before and I thought that Pascal was voiced by a man up to this point.

Nope, and it causes a lot of silly confusion!
The game specifically calls Pascal a him though, so there's that.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Yay, it's :yokotaro: time :neckbeard:

The Dark Id posted:

Shopping Complex Concept Art – Strangely, I don’t think we ever fight a Goliath Biped in the mall. Or really much of anything ever. That might have been one of the only fights in the entire game to take place there.

Funny thing, I've had both a Goliath or some Medium Bipeds guarding the entrance to the mall. Sometimes I got nothing, like you! I thought it was randomised to throw different options at you.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

right right, ok so he's best bot to go along with best boy and best girl

Uncle Pascal wold like a word with you :colbert:

re: forest zone, I'm a bit surprised there's this many people getting lost/getting stuck/whatnot. I'm one of the lucky few that just got it right?

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Talking to Emil again shuffled his inventory. Technically, this first meeting is a scripted event. He always spawns here first. Now he’s moved onto his role of being a traveling merchant in the city. He will always be blasting his jaunty tune (of which he has like four variations of including one where he’s just happily humming along and one where he seems to have forgotten the words and just wings it.)

The best part about the humming version is how, at the end of his song, he lets out this really spirited yeahhhh and it's all very very :kimchi:

Is there somewhere you can get all the versions, by the way?

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Imagine getting told to gently caress off to Belgium multiple times...

Hey... rude, some of us live here :smith:

hopping on that Pascal best boy :bandwagon:

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Personally I went to check if the elevator did, in fact, took me down instead of up to some weird moon-zone.

Then when I confirmed I also wondered what the actual gently caress.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

And we’ve got a ways to go in order to get out of this factory. Turns out this place is gigantic and that elevator took us DEEP into the bowels of the installation. A nice little detail is the camera zooms way out for this bridge to show us just how vast and cavernous the underbelly of the factory is and the music as well as sound effects become accordingly softer as the camera pulls away. Not only are we in the middle of Robo-Jonestown, we’re also miles underground. Great!

(...)

Abandoned Factory Concept Art – This doesn’t seem like the most efficient use of space...

The zoom-out and this bridge area is what took this segment from great to :discourse: for me, so good.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

bpACH posted:

When did 2B and 9S lose their blindfolds?

In the fight. 2B loses it when she gets knocked back from that one cutscene blast, Id mentioned it. Presumably 9S had the same happen.

Warning for kind of off-topic :spergin: but I've seen it a couple of times in this thread too: I groan internally whenever someone calls 2B "gothic Lolita".
Honestly, nothing about her outfit is in any shape or form Lolita. The silhouette could get close to a Lolita silhouette if you squinted hard but that's about it. It's a fashion all about girls' modesty, and having a waist-high skirt slit deffo doesn't fit in that ruleset.

There's plenty more to discuss about that but I'll spare the thread.

Instead I'll be sad since I just remembered a friend laughing all the way through the end credits because "the lyrics are so dumb how can you even take this serious".

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

LordAba posted:

My headcannon shoots balloons and confetti. Does that make me a machine?

Have you become as gods yet?

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
For the person who was asking a page ago where you can buy the 9S statue, I'd go here:
https://hlj.com/product/enx23427
Alternatively you can buy at amiami:
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-032509

HLJ lets you store your purchase for up to 60 days if you choose "Private warehouse" at checkout, plus no paying upfront on either site. Just be sure you want it since neither really let you cancel pre-orders.

Pre-orders will probably close relatively soon since it's already releasing in October.

haha what :)

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I'm not sure I can even think of 5 people with remotely happy endings to put here. Emil, Mikail, Beepy, and Arioch are all that really come to mind.

I see you have forgotten our dragon baby ending up all alone in a dying world?

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
For me, to put it simply and without going into spoilers, it made me have feelings about future events in the game, which was nice when my sadbrains were stuck in a no-feelings zone.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

So normally when cutting through the City Ruins, especially when going to the northeastern section, passing through the central sink hole is the fastest and easiest way to make it across. Listen to me right now: DO NOT GO IN THAT loving HOLE!

If you’re lucky, you’ll die in that hole. Most likely, you’ll have enough plug-in chips to prevent outright death and you’ll instead get stun-lock juggled around forever by a half dozen machines with no means of defending yourself or getting out or even loading a saved game because you cannot access the menu for a few seconds after taking damage. It will be incredibly frustrating and you’ll hate this part of the game. This is already the most miserable section of gameplay NieR: Automata has to offer. I’ve fallen in that hole. I’m seen my wife and kid play this game and fall down the hole. I’ve seen a few streamers play this part and fall in that hole. It was a real bad time for everyone each time.

Do NOT go in that loving hole!

To anyone playing along, LISTEN TO THIS, DEAR GOD does it suck to get stuck in the Alien Cave part of the sinkhole being unable to climb the ladder back up because SURPRISE, the interrupt-animation fucks up even the basic skill of jumping off the ladder up on the pipe! MMMMMMDRRRRAKENGAAAAARD!

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

KamikazePotato posted:

This seems really overpriced. It's about the same quality and size as the 9S figure they just released but it costs at least $30 more. Might get it anyway because I have no self-restraint but yeah.

The Nines one is a static statue, 2B and the machines are fully jointed and posable and, therefore, are probably harder and more expensive to make. Them's the toy collecting breaks.
Unless we're not talking about the same 9S figure, then whoops.

I don't know if I should link my really dumb video about Emil ruining all the emotional cutscenes or not.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
I took it because I figured I could show it to him later and be like "hey, can I have this friendo? there's a ton of em anyways"

and then Emil complained about thieves and I never got the chance to explain so :smith:

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

TDI already said there are no Papa Nier outfits, so by process of elimination...

If DevPop weren't in this game already I'd suggest their Nier outfits.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

...! posted:

Also, Emil is Worst Boy and had this coming for his war crimes. Best Boy = Jean-Paul.

them's fightin' words motherfucker :toughguy:

RIP Best Boy 3366-11,945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Thank you for playing!

:yokotaro:

• Locked thread