Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
And so it begins.

This is still so surreal, that we live in a timeline where Yoko Taro has a product to his name that's not majorly busted in some aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

magikid posted:

Why does everyone keep calling these "character action games?" Like, where does that even come from? It's such a bizarre name.

I just call them 3-D action myself.
As someone who frequently uses the term, even I don't know myself. It's never been totally clear where the name came from other than it being widely used after Devil May Cry 1, basically to denote games that were trying to deliver action gameplay that was more in depth and complex than any game before it. Hell, still more in depth than most games after it. I basically use the term for describing games that have combat mechanics that allow for further mastery akin to a fighting game (obvious examples being Ninja Gaiden, DMC, God Hand, Bayonetta to name a few). Something I don't know fully applies to NieR Automata given its priorities, but it does have some neat tricks to keep combat good and interesting.

There probably is a better name for it, but like a lot of genre descriptors that could afford to be reworked some, the old terminology still sticks and we just use it out of convenience.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

...I never knew you could do a controller vibration test during that sequence.

I'm gonna love this LP if only for it showing me the minor details I completely missed during my playthrough. Holy poo poo.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I'm glad that this LP has finally exposed which of us are the true monsters.

Never destroy the party tank. It only wants to party.

• Locked thread