Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I didn't expect this to come out so quickly.

Maybe this will help me get through the six weeks before I get to play this myself. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
There are arguments to be made that both NieR and Drakengard 3 have happy endings. Not conventionally so, but still happy. One argument Taro made for NieR was that the important thing wasn't that everyone was happy, or even alive, but that in the end everyone reached some degree of salvation.

I actually used that line (attributed, of course) in a university essay about Graham Greene's The End of the Affair, and somehow didn't lose marks for getting my ideas about literature from obscure video games. :v:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, I seem to remember that either the cosmic eggs from Drakengard or the characters in Nier's magic had the letters for GTCA, aka the human genome types.

Also obligatory :ussr:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Tae posted:

Literally any change from the originial is considered censorship and those people are rabid.

If changing Hitler into "Fuhrer" and giving him aviator sunglasses in the re-release of Persona 2 is wrong, I don't ever want to be right. :colbert:

e: for reference:

No, I'm my original character...

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 2, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
There have been a LOT of good games out recently, I can't say I blame you.

Only one has been on a system available to me though :negative:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Obnoxipus posted:

Heeeere's Johnny!

:golfclap:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Poor Emil, for the first time in hundreds of years, and then all too soon he has no body.

I'll see myself out, I'm sorry.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
...I like some of Sarte's ideas :smith:

I'll be the first to admit that he always struck me as someone best known from a long distance though. I definitely wouldn't want to have dinner with the guy.

e: on the plus side, you also just picked up my favourite quest so far :3: (I'm about where the LP is at the moment due to a lot of stuff keeping me from this game until very recently)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I... I have a feeling that one of the areas Id just showed up may have been what I spent 20 minutes running around like an rear end in a top hat to find for a quest :negative:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Really Pants posted:

I know legs and butts are super important, but I think A2 is also the only YoRHa so far that has no covering on her face...besides the Commander. :thunk:

Huh, good catch.

Also I want to talk about how great the design choice for the blindfolds is: aside from whatever symbolic reason they have, from a design standpoint they cover the eyes, making it hard to read the emotions of the protagonists. Eyes are called the windows of the soul for a reason, humans are really reliant on seeing eyes in order to read facial expressions. Having them covered means that 2B and 9S come across as sort of uncanny and not quite human, almost reserved even when showing really strong emotion. It's a great way of showing that they're non-human androids and it's a design choice that I don't think gets enough recognition for how simple and genius it is.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think Id may have added that? You can't hear 2B's footsteps while it plays, for example.

If he did I kind of want to know where it's from, it didn't quite sound like a Drakengard song.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
DarkId isn't kidding about how broken Bomb with 3 pods is by the way, I went up against the final boss for route A (admittedly over-leveled from sidequests) and did more than half its health with it :stare:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Wonder what he thinks about botw

If I recall he was interviewed around the same time the release date for the Switch was released (with it being very close to the Japanese release date for Automata), which went something like

Interviewer: "What were your first thoughts on the switch"
Yoko Taro: "I realized that it and the new Zelda release within a few weeks of Nier: Automata, and I am now dead."
Interviewer: "Are there any features of the Switch which excite you?"
Yoko Taro: "I do not know, because I am dead."

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Remember y'all: it takes at least one ending for Yoko Taro to get cooking. You ain't seen nothing yet, so enjoy the ride.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is just the stuff you can do out of combat too, there's still stuff like counterattack animations (attack after a perfect dodge, both heavy and light attack), some of the heavy charges have different animations if you don't wiff (like the spear going into a huge flurry of strikes). Half the joy of an A runthrough is finding all of the fun poo poo you can do in combat.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

All the networked machines are hostile on sight. The little communities we've seen so far have all been severed from the network for some reason.

Which raises the question: what was up with all the passive enemies right at the beginning, and why did Adam being born cause them to become aggressive again?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The theme for So-Shi was one of my favourite tracks ever since an early gameplay trailer for this game debuted it and it's still a standalone for the soundtrack.

Also for those of you following this LP: the soundtrack is great, but don't go searching anything out for a while. None of the tracks are explicitly spoilery, but they do hint at some rather unpleasant things to come.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
9S is probably the most contentious character in this game, and I think it goes hand in hand with him having a very love-it-or-hate-it playstyle: either it clicks with you in the first hour and you adore the change of pace(as it did for me) or you hate it forever, which I can understand. There's not a lot of middle ground

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
As a Canadian and therefore lawfully required to give bilingual representation, I ran into a french cover of Weight of the World, it's pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_19HcLe0_s

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I liked route B a lot better when I started thinking of it as a Yoshikage Kira simulator myself :v:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
A small correction, but Andross was the junk heap boss. The boss that got God's Bound by Rules was that weird block monster (Shahriyar?). Sorry to be pedantic :shobon:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

megane posted:

I dunno what it means that watching 9S get stone-cold chumped is so amusing. I can't imagine it being half as funny if 2B were the one getting thrown.

Also I can totally hear the angry hand-dryer noise that move makes.

Probably for the same reason its fun to watch Travis Touchdown or Leon S Kennedy dunked: they're competent enough that you don't have to worry about it killing them and it doesn't feel like they're being unfairly attacked, but they're such complete dinguses that you don't feel too bad about them getting a well-deserved dunking.

I miss the "incredibly competent but complete doofus" archetype, we don't seem to get them as much anymore.

e: I like that in a vacuum, 9S is one of the most dangerous beings on the planet: he has access to state of the art weaponry,he's competent enough at close quarters combat, he can explode things with his mind and he's proven able to single-handedly hack into an entire enemy network. But because he's dangerous in ways that are less visible than 2B's kickass fighting and because he's such a dingus no one thinks of him as impressive: he's a goober in short shorts that can't ask the girl he likes to the prom, and no amount of hacking into a giant robot to punch it with its own arm is going to make up for that.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 16, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Priestly posted:

They also won an "Award for Excellence" at Tokyo Game Show today.

https://twitter.com/NieR_JPN/status/910786575268700160

Man its been wild watching Yoko Taro go from "that guy who made that lovely hosed-up Panzer Dragoon knockoff" to "industry and critical darling widely considered one of the best writers working in games today" over the last sixteen or so years.

:unsmith::hf::yokotaro:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Come to think of it, his main weapons and shmup fliers are black while 2B's are white. Wonder what the significance of that is? :ohdear:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know what's coming and I'm not exactly thrilled by anything that's happened since Adam first appeared but man, considering how long this is taking I'd kinda be wondering if I'd made a mistake buying the game. People say that Route C is where it really gets interesting and I hope they're not overblowing things.

They aren't: this is a game that can really be played either stopping and smelling the roses or powering through the main story and be rewarding both ways. I just got around to finishing route C myself, and its one hell of a ride: everything in this LP up until now exists solely to set up what we're about to get into next update and beyond, and its one hell of a payoff: I did it all in two or three sittings.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Why do you do this to yourself? :magical:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Wow, never knew about the crater. Turns out me being a complete dumbass with directions paid off for once :v: (as a reference: I routinely get completely loving lost on Tuchunka in Mass Effect 2)

e: "You know Yoko-san, you probably won't ever be able to top the protagonist fake-out of Metal Gear Solid 2!"
*Yoko Taro rips out IV needle injecting pure ethanol into his veins*
"Hold my bag"

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 23, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

The Sandman posted:

Is the best shop in the game open yet? Can't wait for Id to show that off.

If you mean Emil's shop, yes. If you don;t mean Emil's shop you are objectively wrong.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Are we using the computer sense of hack, or the stabbing sense of hack? This seems an important point to settle before letting him have any influence on this decision..

Come to think of it, there's no reason 9S couldn't pull a Pascal and wipe his own memories of pain given what he's shown to be capable of. That's a pretty big contrast, in retrospect. Both want the pain away, 9S putting flowers on 2B's grave makes it clear he's not expecting to be around much longer. I guess the difference is that 9S is still clinging to the old "nothing they say makes any sense" lies as a way to reinstate a pre-traumatic normality and push him on, because the machines and A2 killed everyone 9S has ever cared about and by God they're going to pay for it.

Conversely, Pascal stepped into that role too, and it accomplished nothing. Even betraying his basic moral code ended in catastrophic failure. There's no purpose because there's nothing to protect. 9S is living to cause pain to his enemies, but Pascal doesn't even have that going for him.

What I'm saying is that I really like the character writing in this game, but a lot of it comes from retrospection. It's a bit subtler than the first NieR (or at least I've had less time to pour over it, one of the two :v:)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It occurs to me that the "black boxes are just repurposed machine cores" thing is sorta spoiled as early as the war sequence: when you hack as 9S its to destroy the cores, which makes them explode: the games are the same and you're still hacking to destroy a black core with the androids. Maybe not even intentional, but its a neat bit of continuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

I was going to hold off on this until we hit ending D (there's a bit there that made me put down the controller and just cry), but this seems as good a time as any:

I've had two massive depressive episodes in my life, one about six years ago and another within the last couple of months. And I do mean severe, like I had to go to the hospital a month ago. And for whatever reason, you happened to be doing an LP of a NieR game in the middle of both of these. And it's not like the games threw me into depression, it was all outside factors (coming to terms with my queerness, exploitative and even abusive jobs, stretches of unemployment, a fairly substantial drinking problem, the list goes on. It's been a rough couple of months). In fact it was quite the opposite: I tend to bury my emotions for months at a time before something traumatic triggers an episode, and having something that lets me really engage and bring out negative feelings is a pretty great way to manage it. So yeah, you introduced my sad gay self to two of my favourite games ever, and demonstratively made my life better by LPing them. I guess what I wanted to say is, to quote the sith lord himself;

thank you for playing.

• Locked thread