Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Everyone in this thread posted:

Robot Philosophy

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Sorry, I've had that song stuck in my head all day. And now you all do too!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Okay, everyone should just go ahead and brave the spoilers on that link just for the fact that there is a link on the main Nier:Automata description page called, and I quote: "Everyone’s talking about this video game character’s ‘lovingly rendered butthole’." Spoilers: it's not Pascal's.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

placid saviour posted:

Is Beepy a character we're supposed to know about from Nier 1 or something?

In addition to everyone else's answers, see https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update%20109 and https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update%20110 specifically.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Interesting that Route B is actually 9S' story then, since he's not 2B...

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Maybe that's why 2B is so cold to him? She knows it's just a matter of time?

9S: Hello, ma'am
*INDUSTRIAL JUICING ACCIDENT*
9S: Hello ma'am
*FAULTY CPU SHORTS OUT*
*TELEPORT ERROR, DATA STREAM TRANSMITTED TO NEPTUNE*
*TRIPS, FALLS INTO RECYCLER*
*STEPS THROUGH WRONG DOOR, SHOT INTO SPACE WHEN AIRLOCK CYCLES*

Etc, etc...

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

apocalypticCritic posted:

It's like a 1-type RAID array - he copies his whole consciousness over every single machine's internal storage, and then links them all together and outputs from a single source. That way, even if one copy has parts that are corrupted, other parts probably won't be corrupted in the same place, and their non-corrupt copies can simply be accessed instead. The massive redundancy protects him by making it unlikely that every part of his consciousness will be corrupted at the same time.

Also the copying over to the machine network happened before he started getting corrupted by contact with Eve, I believe. It's not quite clear, but it is kind of implied.

If you want to look at it logically (which you probably shouldn't, given this is :yokotaro:), going into the Eve fight they knew Eve was bombarding the whole network with data, which is what made all the machines freak out. It's possible, as 9S dove deeper into Eve and started corrupting himself, that bits of his personality code sheared off in the process and were carried along with those messages. That's why his consciousness was in so many copies across so many machines - they were all being blasted with random data by Eve during the fight and 9S was just stuck inside those bits.

NINEZZZ posted:

It looks like... I left my personal data in the machine side of things. Next thing I knew, my sense of self was regenerated over the surrounding network. Having multiple selves fused together like this...

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

9S and 2B eventually figure out how to make android babies the same way the machines did and they make a tiny girl android they name A2 but YoRHa turns on them and hunts them down so they send A2 into the past but she accidentally opens a portal trying to get back to her parents in the future that lets Drakengard ending E into the world and causes this whole mess in the first place.

Is that :yokotaro: enough?

Did I accidentally guess the real ending? Should I spoiler this just in case?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

I don't know, that sounds suspiciously like exactly what a fascist gothic lolita combat robot intent on purifying the earth would say. Is there something you'd like to share with us, HCT?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

LordAba posted:

You guys are missing the biggest philosophical point: Is 2B still 2B if we can't see her butt?

Signs point to... "yes"

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

All the operators just got infected, didn't they... :smith:

6O still loves pictures of puppies and kittens and pretty flowers... She just prefers them without their heads now.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

I'd be surprised if we ever meet any resistance androids from here on out anyway; weren't most of them eaten by cannibal stubbies?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

What happens if you drink and take drugs at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

iospace posted:

The fact that Nier 2 is pretty much standalone without any Nier 1 knowledge helps a lot.

Also the fact that 2B's (and 9S's, in some cases) butts are prominently featured probably helped.

• Locked thread