Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I sort of wish they'd just comedically battered it into a pulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I got really excited when I saw the Bunyan statue.

:-(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Justin_Brett posted:

To be fair that bit was a bit over the top even in the book.

STILL

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

NiceGuy posted:

Like one of the big criticisms I've heard so far is that it's tonally all over the place but I honestly think that was part of the fun, going from 'hehe oh man that's messed up' to 'jeeeeeeeesus christ' in the span of a minute.

My only complaint was that the rock fight seemed excessively cartoonish and Richie didn't need to make a snappy comment after every instance of horror. I liked the blending elsewhere, particularly in the Spooky House. "NOT SCARY AT ALL"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's unfortunate that people are actually latching on to this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The appropriation of horror monsters and villains as radically queer is really fascinating and funny. It's basically internalizing this:

yeah weird that a group of people traditionally downtrodden and cast out by an uncaring and xenophobic majority would find something sympathetic in things that literally scare white heteros

T Bowl posted:

It's unfortunate that people find it unfortunate that people are latching onto this.

Pennywise brutally murders children and also a gay person so maybe yeah it is a little unfortunate

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I wouldn't say weird, cause it's definitely not new, it's always been there from Bride of Frankenstein, Caligari, I Was A Teenage Werewolf, etc.

SCARFACE is probably my favorite example.

"I wouldn't say weird" lmao okay this from the guy who compared queer people appropriating villains to gangsters wanting to gently caress cops

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's on you to explain how that's weird.

I was clearly not indicating that I considered it weird.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
You were clearly drawing a line connecting the queer acceptance of villainous fictional characters and the sexual internalization of socially approved violence by cops. unless you weren't, in which case you should have better explicated your point rather than drop a lovely, vague hot take. It's nice when everyone understands what you mean.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Wait, what are you referring to with socially approved violence by cops? Organized crime?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Richie being left hanging on a high five got the biggest laugh for my theater ("this loving clown!" came close).

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

w/r/t the hot topic drawing that was shared, i generally think anything tweeted by an anime avatar should be cautiously latched onto, so i understand the hesitation

Babadook makes much more sense as a queer horror icon than Pennywise.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Then explain what you mean with the tweety bird macro, because we seem to be missing each other entirely.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

yes

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

im upset the killer clown was kinda silly

:yeah:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The leper segment was clumsy but the actual leper was extremely choice.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pennywise functions better in the kid scenes as a menacing threat, if they'd taken a more surreal bent with his actual attacks his gotcha moments would be more effective.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Violator posted:

Nothing overly fantastical or fake like running on the ceiling or swimming under the water to him, just good old fashioned nightmare fuel of running and screaming at you.

I think we have very different nightmares.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yaws posted:

I'm going to be the wuss of the thread and state that the graphic depiction of Georgie losing his arm was too far. I don't need to see a 6 year old boy get his arm bitten off and then watch him crying in pain as he tries in vain to get away with a lopped off arm.

Too far. Too much. Bad taste.

No way, that was the best part!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yaws posted:

Got you a little excited, did it? The needless portrayal of a child in immense pain? Get a little blood flowin' down there?

Yeah, got the blood flowin' right to my feet, this film solved my diabetes. No, but it was one of the only moments of really earnest, shocking fear in the film, and I appreciated that. It was refreshingly harrowing and I felt properly disturbed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yaws posted:

This is a real problem. The film had many effective horror scenes but your only takeaway was a distasteful scene of child dismemberment. I suppose you thought it was super edgy

...no? Just brutal and discomforting. It's why I like Poltergeist so much - for all its friendly, self-effacing haunted-house-ride attitude, moments of true fear and panic break through and give it that spiky, caustic tone that makes it so memorable and gripping.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yaws posted:

You're one sick son of a bitch. Glad I don't know you irl.

:yeah:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yaws posted:

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The key moment for me was Georgie crawling away from the sewer and weeping, that was a splendid display of grotesque misery and was quite upsetting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tom Guycot posted:

Heck lets keep this train rolling with something from Mr. King himself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYwOfShX41I

This owns.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I just realized you respond with this to mock people and you did it to me earlier in the thread :ohdear:

Ahaha I was just unironically agreeing with your sarcastic (?) statement that the goofy clown wasn't scary enough.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The book is wonderfully grotesque and discomforting, for sure. I'll never forget the way one victim is described as having their ribcage opened as if someone had reached in with both hands and just pulled.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Everything *about* Maximum Overdrive owns. It has Pat Hingle with a loving bazooka for christ's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GQg06SX90

It was one of my fav horrors as a kid - just freaky enough to be a proper thrill, adult enough to be titillating, and silly enough to not be really scary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It helps that they're very obvious characters (Black, Fat, Sick, Jewish, Girl, Funny, Dead Brother), which gives them some handy hooks for other quirks, tics, and identifiers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He was one of the best parts of Stranger Things as well, so I think he's talented.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It reminds of the villain in Men In Black.

It's very weird that you never refer to yourself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's not that weird; I do not actually exist.

amazing

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I always sorta wondered how much King was inspired by the "It..." Titled movies from the 50s- like he wanted to write the primal It behind all those terrors. Hence the Rodan cameo.

If he wanted to be a pill he could've called it "The!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Everyone keeps making Nightmare on Elm Street comparisons when the real truth is that It is a crossbreed of The Most Dangerous Game and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Absolutely not. Think on it.

edit: George and Martha will their fake child to life and it tries to hunt them and their guests for sport. A major theme of It is confronting the bald truth without fear and overcoming the traumas of childhood without being literally ingested by them. Nightmare is similar but they share the Dangerous Game/Woolf crossover, with different results.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 22, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Naw this Pennywise definitely suffers from pride.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPXd_3l9U28&t=128s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yes. All the taunting and needling is the opposite of prideful, it's extremely petty. He's picking on pubescent kids. "Hubris" and pride imply self-righteousness. The problem with Pennywise is not that he overreached and if he had more modest goals as a molesting clown he wouldn't have gotten beaten by a bunch of kids. While the climatic confrontation resembles a Scooby-Doo denoument (Bill beats him by popping him like a balloon), children are not a higher power. A grubby predator cannot be hubristic toward his victims.

...yeah he can? Petty bullies can be extremely prideful. I don't know where you're getting this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Because the connotation is wrong, the problem with a bully is not that they aren't prudent and don't listen to criticism, to elide cruelty by saying the issue is being headstrong is odd.

It's one of many problems. Don't be so thick.

There are several terms for that, such as 'overconfidence'.

The moral of IT is not that Pennywise lacked the humility necessary for good leadership - that he totally could have had a successful child-theft circus if he hadn't overextended himself.

As if Pennywise serves as a warning and a lesson to future magical sewer demons: bite one kid at most, don't indulge in disrespectful taunting, you know - these are the steps to a thriving brainwash circus.

Any movie with a villain includes the villain's side as part of the viewer's sympathy, so yes, part of the moral is that Pennywise could've been a more successful murderous clown.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

That's abusing the definition of hubris to the point that it can cover such activities as 'crossing the street' or 'drinking water'.

How dare you challenge the avenue with this crosswalk button! Your pride in the signal light, this so-called power to halt the city's traffic, will be your undoing!

All things bend.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Hundu's not being thick, I similarly have no idea where you're coming from with these terse answers. There's nothing about the movie incarnation of Pennywise that shows a sense of pride to the point of hubris. Even Its pile of floating bodies is something It keeps to itself and only ends up being seen because It's on the ropes against these kids.

Absolutely not. Think on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pennywise, the bougie clown

• Locked thread