Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I misremembered the giant bird as being from The Giant Claw but I just got to that part in my reread of the book and it's actually supposed to be Rodan.

To be fair, The Giant Claw is also supposed to be Rodan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Visually, I keep picturing the ending to Altered States for some reason and think that approach might work out. Or something like the end of Terminator 2 where when the liquid terminator dies and he keeps morphing into all these weird shapes and personas of the people he's mimicked and "IT" just keeps doing crazy poo poo like that in the final battle; growing prior victims as legs and having their heads be his eight eyes.

I dunno. I'm rambling here.

I'm blanking on the ending of Altered States. It's his ex-wife joining him or whatever?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ahahahah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

WB seems to have wiped the trailer from youtube entirely but it's still here:

https://twitter.com/MTV/status/861391742381064192

God drat that looks good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe I'm just biased in Muschetti's favor because it obviously looks great. But even the tenor and rythym of the dialogue sounds like reading King. As someone who isn't even the biggest fan of the book, I'm surprised how taken I am by it, especially contrasted with The Dark Tower.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 9, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

So is Mama any good? I'd never heard of Muschietti before this but everything in these trailers has looked very promising. Though I'm sure Chung Chung-hoon's cinematography helped a lot..

I don't care if I'm alone in this but Mama is one of my favorite horror movies from the last decade.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Would you mind selling me on it? I've been only getting mixed reactions otherwise.

Without spoiling anything, Mama is a great design and great character, it's rare and a little weird to see a horror movie that's so earnest and sentimental. I can't think of another horror movie that made a crowd audibly go 'aww'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

It's cool that every piece of the terrifying design has a justification rooted in what turns out to be the pathos of the character.

Edit: I'm a total horror movie noob so maybe this is really common practice but I don't care it was cool.

It is a common practice, but usually it's done in a clunkier way (not to say that Mama totally avoids this, IIRC there is at least one scene where the main character goes into town to the local library to get clues about the ghost). The exposition is not necessary in most cases.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spite posted:

The Devil's Backbone is pretty earnest. And I'd say it's pretty sentimental as well.
Or maybe I just love that movie.

Devil's Backbone rules, I miss that Del Toro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What looks bad about the IT trailers? I've been blown away by them and I have barely the slightest interest in the project as it is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Because the evil clown looks too evil.

It's a weird complaint to me because what is the context for clowns for kids growing up in the 90's anyway? No one born past 1977 has ever even seen a clown in person and probably the first time they do it's some poo poo John Wayne Gacy painted.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Because there's been this recurring notion that Pennywise is so scary because he appears at first to be an unassuming friendly clown. But he's always been tied to the Uncanny when his first appearance is in a sewer.

Yeah, exactly.

Mantis42 posted:

What do you mean? I saw plenty of clowns as a kid, at the circus and various fairs, and I was born in the 90s.

The only clown I ever seen in person is Doink.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

People are really reading into the very, very little we've seen of Pennywise. I have minor reservations, but I think it looks great too.

I think that's got way more to do with what the modern conception of what a clown is. It's a genie you can't put back in the bottle, no one on earth thinks a clown is anything other than a demon from hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tries too hard at what?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well see, the thing about that is, at no point does Tim Curry's Pennywise seem friendly and funny either. He's totally menacing from the jump.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Len posted:

They don't have any reason to show Pennywise not looking evil because drat near everyone knows It as "the evil clown movie" (I've never met anyone irl who calls it a miniseries) so they're showing the evil clown

Like...the book and miniseries It are a big part of the reason many assume clowns are evil. Doing the whole "people have never heard of zombie movies in a zombie movie" thing doesn't make too much creative or practical sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If they shift the story forward to be set a few decades later than the book is, that pretense makes no sense whatsoever. No child in the 90's thought clowns were charming and funloving.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Because the movie IIRC now takes place in the 90's and not the 60's since the adult portion takes place in the present day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrMojok posted:

What I meant was, why were so many kids in the 90s afraid of clowns?

Oh. Cause the only depictions of clowns in popular culture by that point are either clowns as scary and creepy, Ronald McDonald, or Krusty.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's face it, some things that used to be considered Americana are culturally remote now or have different connotations, like smoking in restaurants.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main problem is how in the hell you stage an adult "plausibly" luring a child while dressed as a clown. Cat's kinda out of the bag on that one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

What I'm hearing is that IT should take form of Iron Man. Or, since it's the early 90s/late 80s--the Ninja Turtles.

Ironically, the original 'clown sightings' in the early 90's were of stuff like the Ninja Turtles and guys in Bart Simpson costumes kidnapping kids in a van.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

This is a fantastic point, by the way.

Yeah, that's a really good take on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Tom Kenny plays a great clown in Shakes the Clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTXyx5zOzE

This is still my favorite Bobcat Goldthwait movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is hosed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am seriously laughing my rear end off at that. That's really dark, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think they'll elide it entirely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

somnambulist posted:

I LOVE the direction and visuals, but I hate how every tense moment is met with *SCARY SOUND* in the trailer. I really hope the film relies less on gimmicks, but otherwise I'm hypedddddd. They even have the creepy pharmacist :swoon:

I'm assuming that's trailer stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

It's gonna be the stinger after the credits.

Lol, jesus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was thinking more like Richard Kelly's IT.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am absolutely blown away how good this looks cinematography-wise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

don't bet against Chung-hoon Chung shooting a great looking movie. Stoker has some of my favorite cinematography of the decade.

I knew it would look good, like you say, Stoker looked amazing. But there's something really surprising about this, it's hard to describe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I know you loved Mama too so I think you were maybe justness preparing yourself to be let down and welp. Good news!

Yeah, I was worried it would be an Alexandre Aja type situation where the guy comes to Hollywood and just fizzles out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tired Moritz posted:

why did they have to make pennywise so sexy

Scared?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The drooling was really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe it's because I saw the trailer in D-Box, jackass that I am, but man this looks so good. I keep trying to find reasons to find something I don't like.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've watched that clip like 5x now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I am really struggling to stay away from the clip. Does it show the entire storm drain scene? I want to see as little as possible now but you're all making it very difficult.

I would recommend watching, it doesn't give up anything too good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

What was the last King horror novel that really sunk in as a film? Seriously?

Not a novel, but The Mist.

BiggerBoat posted:

If King sees an advanced screening and hates it then I'll know it's gonna be really good.

King is so fuckin' pumped that he did a little introduction for the trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh poo poo. That's a bad sign.

I dunno man...

• Locked thread