Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm just talking poo poo but King does have a bad track record with his opinions of movie adaptations of his work. Didn't he love Maximum Overdrive and hate The Shining? And I still think it's weird how few really good horror films we've gotten from all the great books he's written.

King's never been shy about what he likes and doesn't like after the fact, but I honestly can't recall him flogging his name like this on something directly. The way I take it so far is that he's pleased at how faithful it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was relatively rare to see anything that starred Miguel Ferrer so I absolutely cherish The Night Flier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Trucks is a more straightforward (but somehow worse) adaptation of Stephen King's Trucks, which is also what Maximum Overdrive is based on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oliver Reed posted:

Should I bother with the miniseries? I've seen clips and Tim Curry is excellent, but beyond that, is it worth watching?

It's okay. Like you've noted, it's mostly remembered for Tim Curry, otherwise it's so blatantly a TV movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, he was a really inspired casting choice. A very 90's Dude but it's not like the one from the book isn't mostly a 70's stereotype.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Maybe they are waiting to see if It pulls a "Dark Tower".

Yeah no way. This will probably be a Conjuring sized hit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dickens is definitely a much more apt comparison than Shakespeare, yeah.

The way King names characters is extremely Dickensian, as a bonus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Can you expand on this? I've read a lot of King but only a little Dickens.

It's not quite as lurid as Dickens, Scrooge, for example is such an evocative name that it ended up in the dictionary. Other examples are Cratchit, Sowerberry, Stryver (talk about on the nose), Havisham for a twisted, covetous, bitter old woman, etc.

But names like Jack Torrance, Carrie White, Randall Flagg, Kurt Barlow, John Smith etc. are definitely in that tradition, even if not quite as fanciful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cujo is a particularly inspired name.

It's generally accepted as an essential writing skill, but I always associate it with Dickens because the symbolism of his character's names was always so striking. Cronenberg is also incredible at this with his pseudo-anagrammatic naming convention, who else would come up with poo poo like Stathis Borans?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

It's set in the 50's.

No one would've said anything in 1985 either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GBuciv20A

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

WB threw up some b-roll: https://youtu.be/3rPsjTmJFMk

Two things: they built the entire sewers! Cool. Also, the amount of practical stuff in this footage is kind of ridiculous. And also, Bill Skarsgård sure as hell went as method as you can go with the embodiment of evil. Him just sitting and holding a bundle of balloons is menacing.

This all looks crazy good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I hope when they do Part 2 they include Eddie's zombie/leper baseball game!

And make it look as cool as the comic it's based on:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love how much King's love of EC horror comics just shines through in his work. His best short stores wouldn't be at all out of place in Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror or Haunt of Fear.

EC Comics blew my mind when I first saw them in the 90's, I can't imagine being some kid in the 50's flipping through one at the drugstore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

It is going to absolutely loving destroy the box office. The Hitman's Bodyguard has been number one four weeks in a row.

I'm gonna make a prediction that this will be a Sixth Sense sized hit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

You think it’s going to make almost $700 million?

That seems really unlikely. I think it’ll be the biggest horror movie since the Sixth Sense, but that’s not especially difficult since most horror movies tap out at $100 million.

Also, holy gently caress, $700 million, Sixth Sense was a goddamn phenomenon.

Yeah maybe not that much. It will definitely do as well or better than Conjuring, which was like 350-400?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it definitely has to be said that the marketing machine for this movie has been off the hook. plus it feels a little like a right place/right time thing.

Definitely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This thing is sold the hell out. Gonna hope for the best on a 10:15.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Got back from a late showing - Muschetti was the perfect director for this film and I can't stress that enough. This movie is gonna annihilate this weekend.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Just loving realized the movie made Mike a Killer of Sheep...

Yessir

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't stay past the credits. Was there a stinger?

Yes. It said Pennywise the Clown WILL return, in IT: Chapter Two!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

An Apple A Gay posted:

Did they include the dopey sex scene like in the book?

You know it and it was EXPLICIT AS ALL HELL!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tim Whatley posted:

Do you legit see Georgie losing his arm? Because I didn't think they'd do it being how graphic a scene it is.

Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

clown shoes posted:

I loved everything about the kids show.

The kids show kicked rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheHoosier posted:

See I didn't even really catch that.

I'm not sure how you couldn't catch this, haha.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheHoosier posted:

I saw it, I didn't equate it to his "float" schtick.

That's what I mean. I'm curious what you thought of it then.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Literally every complaint about this film is exactly the same as in Mama - the monster as such is as much a character as any of the people in it, there's no clear demarcation as to what is real and what isn't (the film is too blatantly surreal), the kids are TOO likeable, etc. Bodes well for part 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of the problems of the movie is the monster isn't much of a character (in comparison to the book).

The monster is simply a succinct character in the film because a filmmaker must characterize him visually, exactly as in Mama. His characterization is dependent on who he appears to, see: the very odd appearance of Ed's mother, note what is on the TV when we see Beverly come home the first time (a home that looks like a labyrinthine sewer), the still figures surrounding Ben...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

films are not silent nowadays.

There's sound in those parts, they use it pretty effectively, too!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can safely say I would not have wanted Pennywise to be more of a character in this movie.

He couldn't be more of a character, he's all over the film. One of the bullies is designed to resemble him. They can't even escape in books or in TV or looking at old photos. Giving him more lines would probably be stupid, I agree.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ridiculous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I feel like that was their way of teasing the idea and they'll go into it more in the sequel.

I also agree that it would work much better with the adults doing it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tired Moritz posted:

how much bike riding is there in the film

Instead of establishing shots there are bike riding scenes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

You think it’s going to make almost $700 million?

That seems really unlikely. I think it’ll be the biggest horror movie since the Sixth Sense, but that’s not especially difficult since most horror movies tap out at $100 million.

Also, holy gently caress, $700 million, Sixth Sense was a goddamn phenomenon.

By the way, this is tracking on part with the first Hobbit Movie and POTC: At World's End, both of which made around a billion worldwide. I think this has the potential to be an insanely big movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"I had to brace myself for the scary parts. 1 out of 10."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

toiletbrush posted:

I read OP as saying 'it was bad as a horror film because the scares were mostly jump-scares that were massively telegraphed'. Are you saying that's an inaccurate description of the film, or that it's not a valid criticism?

A reviewer I trust said pretty much exactly what Das Boo said...it's not a scary film, but if you go in expecting Stand by Me/The Goonies but with spooky stuff you'll enjoy it. Is that pretty accurate?

It's a goofy thing to say. Of course the scares are telegraphed. It's a horror movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Das Boo posted:

Like I said, the head in the branches scene works because you were looking for a monster and were just met with a dismal thing looking you in the face.
The boy in the corner scene in Insidious worked very well. You weren't sure if you saw what you thought you saw.
The intro to Leatherface in the original Texas Chainsaw: The timing was strange and the action happened before you were able to register.
The whisper reading in Nightmare on Elm Street worked well: You knew something had already gone wrong.
The dream sequence in The Exorcist: You're accosted with death symbolism in complete silence.
The demon faces in The Exorcist: Thinking of the one ever-so-slightly on the back of the door in particular, no telegraph. Again, did I really just see that?
The bear thing in The Shining: You're witnessing something you have no explanation for, but you know you shouldn't be seeing it.
The Anna scene in The Innocents: You catch a brief glimpse of something that hasn't noticed you yet.
The dinner scene in Alien: You're absolutely as confused as the characters and even after the event, have to piece together what you just saw.
The mother and the black book in The VVitch: You see the culmination of a woman damned and know it's hopeless.
The first monster appearance in It Follows: You see it's coming from so far away, but you know it's coming for you and you just have to watch it. No jumps necessary.
The detective's death in Psycho: He sweeps out of that doorway and knifes him before you understand what's happened.
The hand-holding scene in The Haunting: You're focused on the voices and take it for granted Theo was sleeping next to her.

There's more to horror than being surprised. You need to come away with the knowledge that you failed to either anticipate or react and that what happened to the character could happen to you. You should never be ahead of your character in horror.

The inclusion of Insidious and Nightmare on Elm Street are apt here, as both movies, like this one, literally use most if not all of these tricks and largely for the same reason - the nature and source of the horror element.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Would you care to explicate your thesis?

Absolutely not. Think on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Das Boo posted:

I'll also say the opening was effective in taking a known and turning it into an unknown: A clown should not be in a sewer. He seems familiar, friendly and charismatic, but he should not be in a sewer. The situation is wrong. I also liked Tim Curry's reading of, "Oh, yes, Georgie. They float." in the original because there was loving lust behind it and it just made you retreat harder.

All the new film does is elaborate on this. The situation is abuse, stagnation, neglect and trauma, parasitic feeding on the emotions of children, "infections of lust", etc.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

like 80% on the conservative side.

Very very conservative.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you got rid of scare chords and surprise scares you pretty much would not have horror movies. What you're probably looking for there is like a creepy mystery maybe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Actually, the opposite is true. The "horror movie" as you're aware of it is an inverse of your own expectations - horror is a liminal state. It's only when it crosses that threshold does it really exist, otherwise it's just a bad suspense film with annoying sounds.

Not really, this is just appealing to propriety. This is the old "2001 isn't a sci-fi movie because it's good" thing. Genre filmmaking is good because it has no obligation to be serious or tactful.

Das Boo posted:

I'm even pretty sure this is Junji Ito's entire philosophy on horror.

He's also made a lot of stuff like Gyo and Hellstar Remina which are absolutely ludicrous in addition to being quite scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's not what I'm talking about at all, you've completely misread me. You know nothing of my meaning! How you ever got to make a post about anything is totally amazing.

That horror (what actually scares you) is personal is obvious, but we're talking about horror films.

• Locked thread