Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You can never really take too much from trailers these days, but I sure did like the look of this one. This is probably nitpicking, but Georgie's last day in the 1990 series always looked a little too nonthreatening to me, not ominous enough. When he goes out of the house with the paper boat it's raining, but it also looks like the sun is peeking out somewhere nearby, and the street just kind of looks "friendly" to me, for want of a better term.

In the new trailer, whether they got it with natural light or more likely through post-shooting effects, the sky is gray, it's pretty dark, the large running currents of water in the road and the way the neighborhood looks is just more sinister.

I also like the shot of the kids in the house on Neibolt street, where they are framed in the background looking in the direction of the camera, with the hand in the foreground... you see the claws poking out the fingers of the white clown gloves! Whether IT is a werewolf or something picked from more modern fears in that scene is something I'm eager to see.

I am cautiously optimistic. And overjoyed that this is being done as an R film, it's the only way to do justice to the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the book, there was the one story about a guy who went into a bar and killed several people with an axe, while many of the patrons just stood about watching.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah it even has a less than subtle parallel between It and Rodan.
One of the cool things mentioned in the book repeatedly is that It never looks like the movie monsters exactly. It looks like the more vivid and realistic version of the monster created in the child's imagination.

Also with elements of the clown costume. The giant bird had red puff-balls on its its tongue I think, like the buttons on a clown suit.

I think the werewolf had the puffy clown suit buttons on its Derry High jacket.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We haven't seen the clown talking to Georgie from the drain yet. It's possible he can be quite friendly and disarming. He's got to do this to get Georgie close enough, right?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Why the 90s? I'm legitimately interested, was it something in pop culture that created this generational fear of clowns?

I grew up before then and was never afraid of them, nor of adults dressed in big costumes like a theme park character. Though I did have some friends that were when we were younger. But it didn't seem like there was as much pervasive clown fear among kids to me in the 70s.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because the movie IIRC now takes place in the 90's and not the 60's since the adult portion takes place in the present day.

What I meant was, why were so many kids in the 90s afraid of clowns?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

29 Neibolt street was where they thought they killed It in the miniseries, when they were kids. Wasn't it?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm thinking of a scene in the TV series in that house, when Bev hits it in the side of the head with her shot and deadlights start spilling out, and It escapes down the toilet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't know if this movie will be any good or not, but I thought that little clip was fantastic.

e: and that clip is already gone 😢

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 11, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Krazyface posted:

It felt like there was a cut in the middle, around 1:28, there's kind of a discontinuity in the music.

You're right. What's missing in that little chunk:

Georgie asks him what he's doing in the sewer. Pennywise says the storm blew him away, him and the whole circus, and can you smell the circus, Georgie? Can you smell hot dogs...and cotton candy... and...

Georgie is sniffing he air, he can really smell it, just like in the book, and finally he smells something else. Popcorn!

Pennywise asks if popcorn is his favorite, he says yes, and Pennywise gets a little goofy for a moment, saying it's his favorite too, because it goes Pop! Pop! Pop pop pop pop!

Georgie is laughing along with him, and suddenly Pennywise stops smiling completely, and just stares at him with this really disturbing look on his face.

Then the clip you see resumes, Georgie is visibly unsettled by the look Pennywise is giving him, and is about to go, etc.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that was the book "White Shark". I didn't know there was a movie made out of that one too, though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Let's all just hope this thing is cool and good and does well. I think despite all the excitement and hype the second one all depends on that. Like, they haven't even cast one single role yet for part two.

Which makes me wonder, what are they going to call part two? Literally IT 2?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It is a little strange that they haven't done anything about part 2 though. That's not really common is it? If you already PLAN on two films? I can't think of a precedent.

Last I heard tentative shooting for part two was supposed to be March 2018. But it was always contingent on the success of the first one. With the buzz around the film and things we've heard and seen, I don't think there's any danger of part two being cancelled though.

This first one was rumored to have a planned 30 million dollar budget back in 2015. Possible the studio(s) have kicked in a little more for them to use in post-production, due to how promising this one looks? I dunno.

I would think budget and casting for part two would be about the same (relatively low and unknowns) but if this one really blows up, who knows?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mike... LIVES... in the house on Neibolt Street? Are you loving serious?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Karloff posted:

Is there a scene on the cutting room floor where Bower kills his two mates as well, I mean, he turns up at Neibolt in their car

I don't know if they filmed Bowers actually killing them, but I believe some people who saw early versions of this said there was a scene showing them dead in the back of the car and it was obvious that he had done it

e: I haven't seen it yet but from a lot of things I've read it does sound like something was rushed or went wrong during the editing process

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the book, wasn't one aspect of the adult story basically that Pennywise knew he had a little less control over the adults? In the sense that they weren't as easily victimized by images and fears It could pluck from their minds... hence trying to intimidate and threaten them into leaving town, and also sending Henry to their hotel. What I'm getting at is Henry has got to be back in part two

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the book it seemed to me like his "feeding" on children isn't literal, it's feeding on the psychic energy the fear releases-- "salting the meat"

Although I'm pretty sure he did take Georgie's arm off, and he definitely did bite Adrian Mellon (although I think that was shock benefit for Adrian's boyfriend)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, Pennywise is definitely literally eating his victims. Aside from Georgie's arm and the armpit bite on Adrian, Mike makes a point of discussing how he knew exactly what it was when it started happening again because the victims weren't sexually assaulted, but had all been partially eaten.

Where is this part in the book?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Google books is extremely helpful, it turns out:

It doesn't give me the page number, but this happens around their reunion, after Richie has to switch to glasses again because his contacts are burning.

Thanks

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Other people in Derry looking like Pennywise---it was part of the great job they did with making Derry just seem not "right" I thought.

I'm one of the huge book fans, it is quite near and dear to my heart. But I think this was a great reimagining that managed to stay very true to King's vision and ideas.

Man... I'm still blown away at how GOOD all of the kids were. Richie and Eddie most of all, but I loved all of them.

They better get to filming soon if they want to include flashbacks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You JUST read the book dude, you already knew the names.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also I believe if you Google Supermechagodzilla the very first hit is not the Toho films giant robot, but the CineD legend himself

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Pretty sure that's because the robot is Super Mechagodzilla, not SuperMechagodzilla.

No it's because HE IS LEGEND my dude.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes he did, and here's Henry's come-uppance. One of my favorite bits from the book:

Whatever the reason— cuts, sprain, library books, or even the thought of the soggy and probably illegible rank-card in his back pocket— it was enough to get him moving. He lumbered forward, squashy Keds spatting in the shallow water, and kicked Henry squarely in the balls.
Henry uttered a horrid rusty scream that sent birds beating up from the trees. He stood spraddle-legged for a moment, hands clasping his crotch, staring unbelievingly at Ben. “Ug, ” he said in a small voice.
“Right, ” Ben said.
“Ug, ” Henry said, in an even smaller voice.
“Right, ” Ben said again.
Henry sank slowly back to his knees, not so much falling as folding up. He was still looking at Ben with those unbelieving black eyes.
“Ug. ”
“drat right, ” Ben said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think the plan earlier was to do some flashbacks, and use these great kid actors again. But man they have lost a lot of time... I bet they all look so different now, or will by the time they start filming this.

I suppose they could use the kids as a bridge, like showing Ben a couple years down the line, living away from Derry and running to lose weight, etc. But then you don't get any of their chemistry together.

• Locked thread