Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ensign_Ricky posted:

For It feeds on fear. Also children. But fear makes them so tasty.

I'm hoping there's more to this in this adaptation. The 90's TV movie hyper-focused on Pennywise being IT a little too much in my opinion, as opposed to IT being able to manifest as an avatar of fear itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

They should have taken a cue from the short film horror masterpiece, DOOM HOUSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBjr8Bm_wA

Isn't it about time for a big screen adaptation of this yet? Or maybe a Netflix original series

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I've never read IT and haven't seen the original in years... Would someone mind spoiler blocking the controversial scene you guys are talking about?

I'm not going to spoiler it because everyone should know

Two words: Child Orgy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Why even fight it anymore, at this point the posts about how we shouldn't mention it are more annoying than the actual posts that mention it.

Pretty much, I've come to accept it as just a fact of life

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Man, it's been 14 years since I read the book, and who knows how long since I saw the TV movie. Now I want to read it again, thanks a lot assholes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It wasn't a hoax, she was actually murdered, but it didn't happen the way the media portrayed it. There's an interesting documentary, currently still on Netflix, called "The Witness" where her brother goes back and pieces together what happened. One of the more interesting tidbits is that the photograph everyone has seen of her is her mugshot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

joylessdivision posted:

I found out today that King has apparently written something like 62 novels, and I'm just :psyduck:

I mean I knew the man was prolific but god drat I didn't realize he'd written that many loving novels.

Considering he also wrote a few as Richard Bachman before coming out as Richard Bachman, I would not be surprised if there's a few unknown pseudonyms floating around out there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darko posted:

If you compare Maximum Overdrive to the inferior Trucks, it only makes Maximum Overdrive more awesome.

Trucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIR8DaeqWA

Maximum Overdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

I always considered Maximum Overdrive to be the prequel to Trucks, but I also either never knew about or forgot there was a movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LesterGroans posted:

I remember a bunch of ABC and NBC miniseries in the '90s that were based on books. Like one about little black rocks that helped aliens invade, or Peter Benchley's Jaws But With Squids.

Summer programming, maybe?

I think yeah, it was just the way TV was back then. It's weird, I don't remember the last time that I saw a movie run during primetime on one of the over the air networks, but I sure as hell remember them happening all the time up until probably around 2000. They probably filmed a bunch of mini-series and made for TV movies instead of mid-season replacements and summer programming, and would just air them as needed.

I do remember that one about the rocks, but they had at least 4 Stephen King adaptations during my middle school years, It, The Tommyknockers, The Stand, and The Langoliers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

The Stand has a loving crazy stacked cast, especially for it's time. Plus it gave a lot of love to too-often underutilized character actors like Matt Frewer and Miguel Ferrer. But the book is so expansive in scope, a miniseries still almost feels too small. A full series on premium cable would be amazing.

The Stand had a ton of people who weren't quite famous yet.

Someone recognizable enough was a staple of TV movies; The Tommyknockers had Marg Helgenburger in it, while The Langoliers had Dean Stockwell and Bronson Pinchot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald were definitely famous. Gary Sinese was right on the cusp (pretty sure this was right as he was moving off stage and onto screen). Wasn't Jamie Sheridan a regular on Law & Order? Or was that afterwards?

I forgot about Molly Ringwald, it's been a while. But yeah Jamie Sheridan was the Captain on Criminal Intent, which was several years later, I'm pretty sure him and Gary Sinese were both unknowns at the time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing that hinders it isn't tone, more that the plot construction and movement of a movie is just a different beast than a novel. A book, especially a long one like It, is something you sit with for awhile and feels like episodes. I think in the context of the movie, diversions into side characters can seem vestigial if it doesn't support the movement of the plot.

Honestly, I'm a bit bummed how light the campaign has been. I'd love to see stuff like that goes deeper into Derry's history.

It's pretty frustrating dealing with die-hard fans of books who get overly critical of film adaptations. They're almost always overly critical of little bits that would totally ruin the pacing of something crammed into a 2 hour runtime. You can have an excellent adaptation, but apparently the whole movie is ruined because they didn't go into the history of the gay bar in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

I really can't say any of the miniseries adaptations were outright godawful, but then I first saw them all when they aired. Compared to other miniseries/tv movies of the week going on at the time, they're on par for the era. Comparing them to the redone ones from around 2000, I'd say the redone ones are closer to the books, but even then, they still have the network TV limitations even as more relaxed as they were compared to earlier. I would like to see Salem's Lot and The Stand redone on either cable or Netflix, just to see how much closer those manage to be unless they ever go the theatrical release route.

With how much goes on in the Stand, it could easily be a multi-season series, which I'm all for

• Locked thread