Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The bit where Mike sees the giant bird didn't really do anything for me, but when it echoes what comes later in the book, what his dad saw at the Black Spot... Chilling.

Wasn't the bird suspended by balloons too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

I really want to re-watch the old TV film, but I get the feeling like maybe it wont hold up at all. I can only remember a few scant scenes like Belch(?) being pulled through a drain bent in half and that really freaked me out when i saw it.

It's definitely showing its age but there's a definite feeling of nostalgia, especially for the first half. Not so much the second, and the finale was never good really.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe some bad art direction too...

To be fair, I'm nervous about how the current incarnation will do the ending. As it's written in the book, it's unfilmable.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there anywhere I can hear a sample of Steven Weber as Pennywise? I don't want to get the entire audiobook for it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is a little late and maybe you already did it on your own but Audible has samples of course.
http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/It-Audiobook/B019WPM4ZM/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1493393549&sr=1-1

It's a frickin' long book but Weber was so good, I was caught up in every second of it. I mean, the story itself is good no doubt, but Weber brought it to life in a way I've seen few narrators accomplish.

Doesn't get to the bit with Pennywise unfortunately, but thanks anyway.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like that their playing with the idea of the balloons defying physics.

Are they all moving as one in the trailer?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

davidspackage posted:

having the kids' and adults' stories converge at the conclusion is so amazingly tense.

Also holy poo poo is the part where they start forgetting each other again sad :(

Agreed on both parts. Mike's last journal entry was heartbreaking.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Acht posted:

Agreed. It's getting to me too, even.
The music especially.

Yeah I hope that trailer music makes it into the movie. There's something beautifully stark about it that makes it perfect for the barrens and Derry, the wrongness of the entire world there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nroo posted:

So is Mama any good? I'd never heard of Muschietti before this but everything in these trailers has looked very promising. Though I'm sure Chung Chung-hoon's cinematography helped a lot..

It's great until the last 20 minutes, but up to then it's really solid and unsettling.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

90's as I understand it.

1989. Also they should put in Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me at the end of the movie. Then a final scene of Mike phoning Bill and the final words should be "It's back."

I'd like to thank the Academy...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Was that a Lego turtle that Bill drops when he sees Georgie in the house at night? Around the 1:17 mark in the new trailer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If y'all weren't riding your friends in the dark dank of a sewer when you were 11 then I don't know what the gently caress.

I can only hope your own kids have a more interesting childhood.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Phi230 posted:

2 hours and 15 minutes

I think this is great news, more room for character building and scene setting. Derry itself qualifies as both really. Not long to go now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Acht posted:

Keep in mind you need to subtract about 40 minutes for that scene.
Can we get a good poster for this movie btw?

What scene?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fart City posted:

Recreating the original book cover with an unnaturally elongated/bent Pennywise arm reaching out of the storm drain towards the paper sailboat instead of the big green monster hand is such a no brainer I'm shocked it's not already a thing.

Is there an image of that cover?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the Turtle is not in it, but what I am really hoping for is that the movie captures the paranoia of IT. We don't spend a lot of time with the creature in its own thoughts, but the passage we get is really good.

In the latest trailer I think there's a Lego turtle that Bill drops when he sees Georgie in the house. It's around the 1:17 mark.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I am really struggling to stay away from the clip. Does it show the entire storm drain scene? I want to see as little as possible now but you're all making it very difficult.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I watched most of it. Gave away too much. Kill me.

Pennywise was outstanding though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What I mean is that I didn't think it would include nearly the entire scene. I'm glad there's a cut and what MrMojok describes sounds excellent. The portrayal of Pennywise is something I really want to see in context, now that I'm satisfied it's going to be great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

Should I bother with the miniseries? I've seen clips and Tim Curry is excellent, but beyond that, is it worth watching?

I watched it when I was 8 so it has scarred me for life, even though it's aged a lot in some places.

As for watching it now, I suppose that depends on whether you've read the book. If so, give it a watch. If not, you might want to go in blind to the right new movie so you don't know where the story is going.

The old movie is likely to be borderline unwatchable once you've seen the new one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Apparently the black spot and the bradley gang at least have already been shot and are currently on the cutting room floor.

Ffs, the Black Spot spooked the poo poo out of me.

Watched the TV movie the other week and there's a bird for Mike at dinner, so nice little nod.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The audiobook for It is currently £2.99 on Audible.co.uk. Without a membership it's usually £29.99. No idea how long it'll be on offer for so check it out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mike needs to be phoning people or talking about an Adrian Mellon-type murder at the end. I loved that part of the book. "The guy in the clown suit," Chris Unwin said, and shuddered. "The guy with the balloons.

It's nearly ten years since I read the book. Finished on 18th February 2008. Should I wait another 18 years for a re-read?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

It sequel...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the sewer and ride your friends.

Edit: Back in the poo poo?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 3, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

You'll Float 2

Winner.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I loved the movie, though I thought some things could have been added without affecting pace, which is a great thing to be able to say about a relatively long time horror movie.

Pennywise was outstanding. I loved his sudden change of expression when speaking with Georgie, the saliva, the "Pennywise, yes" bit, the change in his eyes from yellow to blue and back to yellow. His movements were great and I loved his subtle presence just as much, like in the kids TV show host saying "go play in the sewers!"

He was creepy in Neibolt Street too, "is this real enough for you Eddie?" Pure magic. loving with Mike with the severed arm as he gets his rear end kicked was sadly hilarious.

I'm peeved about Mike getting neutered. I also felt the kids should have had more carefree days at some point, the miniseries did that well with the dam.

Giant It, marvellous. Creepy librarian lady. The happy pharmacist.

Bullies given short shrift. Henry will return in part 2.

Rambling here but overall it was so much fun.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

Dug the movie. Never read the book, only saw bits of the 1990 version when it came out.

In the book does it continue on as adults? Is King writing another book? Is another movie being made?

The kidding and adult parts of the book are intercut with each other, really effectively actually.

There will be a sequel for the movie but the book will have no follow up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

There is turtle wallpaper in Georgie's room. Just FYI.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Wasn't Steve Weber Bill's dad in the movie?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I thought Jonathan Brandis was a better Bill. Such a shame about the guy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zeris posted:

I just saw this and it had Lord of the Rings syndrome.

Books and films have to tell stories very differently in order to be effective in their respective mediums. The film was clearly designed for fans of the books who could follow along, because as a standalone film, it's not good. It would be drat tough to get it right, considering the length and density of the source material. The necessary cuts would alienate true fans and open itself to accusations of being something other than the source. But here we are. Too long, too many scenes shoved in simply because they were in the book, etc.

I felt it was visually outstanding and very well acted, scored poorly, and paced very poorly.

What scenes did you think were shoved in?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I thought peak Pennywise was in the kitchen with Eddie, unfurling out of the fridge, taking the piss out of Eddie's asthma, almost squealing "I'm not real enough for you?" to Billy.

I really wish we got more dialogue with Pennywise. Loved the speech at the end about making a deal with the Losers, letting them grow old etc. Good poo poo.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is the third highest grossing horror film of all time, there's no question whatsoever Part 2 is being made.

I thought it had become the highest grossing ever?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The book really needs an 18 rated miniseries of 10 episodes.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 13, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's he being cast as/in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dienes posted:

Probably the one character in the image he posted in the tweet?

Jesus, I thought that was the name of the kid actor there :doh:

• Locked thread