Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Fart City posted:

Okay. Give me an example of a multi-season Stephen King television show that worked.

Which ones were developed for one of the premium channels? Hell....even AMC or FX would probably have the balls to attempt something like this. No....the bullshit shows/mini series that were tamed down prior to the resurgence of television (and the lax content) don't match what is allowed on television today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fart City posted:

Okay. Give me an example of a multi-season Stephen King television show that worked.

Haven?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, if you were going to do an It show, you should call it Derry and make it and anthology show that may or may not ever actually touch on the actual events of the book. Start with the very beginning of Derry's founding and keep jumping around in time telling different stories of It's reigns of terror. Mix in the local drama of the time and the slow build up of Pennywise as a threat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, if you were going to do an It show, you should call it Derry and make it and anthology show that may or may not ever actually touch on the actual events of the book. Start with the very beginning of Derry's founding and keep jumping around in time telling different stories of It's reigns of terror. Mix in the local drama of the time and the slow build up of Pennywise as a threat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_(TV_series)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I kinda wish King would publish a "History" book of Derry, maybe attributed to the work of Mike Hanlon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

.jpg of skeleton covered in cobwebs at the computer

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a feeling Castle Rock is probably going to be more an original story with a bunch of nods to the other books.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The problem with 'IT' is that it would have a more difficult license to obtain. Check out some of the premium channel shows that are based on books. Most were unknown to the masses prior. Hopefully with the success that some of these shows have had.....we'll see more of them adapted for the home rather than the big screen.....providing a better product. I just wonder how much money they are able to toss at the owners. I'm not sure that it would be able to beat out the large production/distributor film studios. Now.....if some of those studios were smart....they'd produce premium materials for, and in conjunction with the premium channels...because we are in a new golden age of television. And I'm mostly talking about things like 'IT' that are based on much longer books, which could span tens of hours in screen time.....at least. This would allow them to still retain a large portion of the profits......while the premium channels who gain distribution since it would be broadcast on their channel win as well.

GET IT DONE! I WANT A FULL DUNE STORY.

And like I said.....'Hyperion' might be tough to do......but 'Carrion Comfort' might be the best horror novel of all time. Both could make for great mini series.

what the gently caress is this writing style

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

I kinda wish King would publish a "History" book of Derry, maybe attributed to the work of Mike Hanlon.

That would be pretty rad. I’m a big fan of his short stories, so having an anthology-style book about Derry’s history would be right up my alley. The chapter in It that covers the axe murder and gang massacre is one of the best in the entire book, so the proof of concept is already there in the primary text.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RevolverDivider posted:

what the gently caress is this writing style

internet

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

The scene with the slide projector where Pennywise pops out of the screen and he's huge is the best right? I assume most people would agree on that?

it definitely got the biggest laugh from me

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have a feeling Castle Rock is probably going to be more an original story with a bunch of nods to the other books.

I may be wrong, but I think they are going to base the main plot around Needful Things, and have other stories taking place as subplots

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The basic synopsis I read somewhere is that André Holland comes back to Castle Rock after a long absence to help Bill Skarsgård, who is in Shawshank on a murder rap he claims to be innocent of. And then, presumably, ~Spooky Steve King Shenanigans~ ensue. But obviously take that with a grain of salt, because I don’t think anything super concrete has been released yet.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally got around to this now that it's on video. In a nutshell I found it very decent. Some quick thoughts:

I'm sure this topic has been well covered here and/or elsewhere but it's eye-opening how simply removing all the adult sequences changes how I perceive the whole story. It goes from a story meant mostly for adults about adults (who are looking back at their childhood), to what is essentially an R-rated kids movie. It's sort of like... they adapted the broad strokes events depicted in the story but left out its actual essence (at heart, It is a story about adults overcoming childhood trauma that they don't even realize still affects them). Or rather, if they go through with the "Part 2", they've saved it for the sequel.

This isn't necessarily a complaint - I think it's pretty interesting, actually. But I did think it made the movie less scary, with a lot more emphasis on simple childrens' tale themes like "it feeds on your fear so you gotta be brave" and "we can defeat it if we stand together!" (fine morals, but not exactly filling me with existential dread or anything) as well as making it much more apparent that the big scary "It" got its rear end kicked by a group of ten-year-olds.

But it was an enjoyable flick nonetheless!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is the third highest grossing horror film of all time, there's no question whatsoever Part 2 is being made.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't wait. IT might be one of my all time favorite movies now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish Nightmares & Dreamscapes had lasted for more than one season

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wish Nightmares & Dreamscapes had lasted for more than one season

Hopefully Castle Rock scratches that itch.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’d really love to see a new King anthology show, drawing from all of his short story collections. I’d be completely fine with them redoing stories that had been filmed before if they had a singular steward behind the production. I’d love to see decently-budgeted adaptions of The Road Virus Heads North or N.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is the third highest grossing horror film of all time, there's no question whatsoever Part 2 is being made.

I thought it had become the highest grossing ever?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When comparing films more than 15 years apart I feel like you have to talk about them in terms of adjusted gross.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, It's $327 million is nothing to laugh at, but The Exorcist made $232 million in 1973.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

And that was back when we were still on the barter system. A half pound of bologna could take the whole family to the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Back when that was real money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's a reason why people still say "scariest movie since The Exorcist", and no horror movie has taken that spot in over 40 years. Pretty sure the new saying isn't gonna be "the scariest movie since It"

Goddamn it's been over 40 years since The Exorcist was released. 40 loving years. It really does not feel that way at all when you watch it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I really hope they go hog wild with the Alien from another dimension poo poo in Part 2

I want a giant CGI turtle who fucks poo poo up

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Exorcist spent a couple years as bar none the highest-ever grossing movie. The 70s were an interesting time, that's for sure.

It Part II is guaranteed (I vote for "It Comes Back" for the title), but I have a hard time picturing it really focusing on the same characters as adults. They'll be there, of course, but I wager they'll be the supporting cast for a new group of kids in the 2010s. The It movie they made, like I said, is a kids' movie and it would just be too off-formula for the follow-up to be an adult story, I think.

This is a weird situation where if the movie had been a more modest but still major genre success (say, something on The Conjuring or The Ring -level, huge for horror but not quite breakout blockbuster numbers), I think the sequel would no-question be a straight adaptation of the adult-centered sections of the book. But It was huge enough I see them taking less chances in order to try to get lightning to strike twice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lizardman posted:

The Exorcist spent a couple years as bar none the highest-ever grossing movie. The 70s were an interesting time, that's for sure.

It Part II is guaranteed (I vote for "It Comes Back" for the title), but I have a hard time picturing it really focusing on the same characters as adults. They'll be there, of course, but I wager they'll be the supporting cast for a new group of kids in the 2010s. The It movie they made, like I said, is a kids' movie and it would just be too off-formula for the follow-up to be an adult story, I think.

This is a weird situation where if the movie had been a more modest but still major genre success (say, something on The Conjuring or The Ring -level, huge for horror but not quite breakout blockbuster numbers), I think the sequel would no-question be a straight adaptation of the adult-centered sections of the book. But It was huge enough I see them taking less chances in order to try to get lightning to strike twice.

The end was literally a set up for the adult parts. They have already talked about some things they have planned for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They'll probably bring the kids back for a few flashbacks. I'm gonna guess they do the smokehouse scene, except they'll trip on something and see that really dope "origin of IT" scene. And maybe a few more.

No way in hell they don't bring those kids back.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’d argue the kids were like, one of the paramount reasons the movie worked at all. The sequel has a rare risk in Hollywood at hand where the adults could end up being the weakest part of the movie, especially if any of them are poorly cast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, that’s kinda the originals thing too.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

How dare you besmirch Harry Anderson’s mustache like that.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
They should just wait 30 years before filming the sequel.:haw:

Honestly the kids' performances are what made the movie great and I have very little interest in watching some lovely adult actors ham it up because there's no way they can preserve that goonies feel with grown rear end adults.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

depending on if the director and other major creative forces are young enough that we could reasonably expect them to live that long, i could legit see this being a good idea. do the second half of the book 30 years later, with the exact same cast as adults Boyhood-style, and market it as a nostalgia piece for people who grew up with the first movie.

e: it would require them to be willing to play the long con, but it would also probably pay off hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

depending on if the director and other major creative forces are young enough that we could reasonably expect them to live that long, i could legit see this being a good idea. do the second half of the book 30 years later, with the exact same cast as adults Boyhood-style, and market it as a nostalgia piece for people who grew up with the first movie.

e: it would require them to be willing to play the long con, but it would also probably pay off hard.

Nobody is "growing up" with this movie. The movie is very good but very few people will remember it or care about it in 10 years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No ones waiting 27 years for the sequel to IT.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody is "growing up" with this movie. The movie is very good but very few people will remember it or care about it in 10 years.

i think you'd be a little shocked

this movie is resonating with people pretty loving hard

CelticPredator posted:

No ones waiting 27 years for the sequel to IT.

if you mean audiences: yeah, that's sort of the point, you wait 27 years until they've more or less forgotten about it and then they see the trailer for the sequel when they're middle-aged and go "HOLY gently caress THAT'S THE SEQUEL TO THAT CLOWN MOVIE THAT hosed ME UP AS A KID/TEENAGER" and you basically repeat the effect that partly caused the first movie to do crazy-good business.

if you mean execs: yeah, I realize this is a bugfuck crazy idea that will never happen, you don't gotta tell me that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think you'd be a little shocked

this movie is resonating with people pretty loving hard

I really don't think that's the case but it's of course all anecdotal.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Honestly the kids' performances are what made the movie great and I have very little interest in watching some lovely adult actors ham it up because there's no way they can preserve that goonies feel with grown rear end adults.

I don't think they should preserve that feel; they should focus on the difference between childish optimism and adult cynicism and how that affects their conflict with It. Adults aren't scared in the same way children are, but they are still afraid, just in more tangible and real ways; rather than werewolves or zombies, adults are scared of terminal illness, destitution, not mattering, not achieving your potential, losing loved ones. And all those fears tie into the ultimate fear which is the existential nightmare of your own mortality, that every day brings you closer to that point; you get older, your hair starts to fall out, you lose your vision, your hearing, you lose everything, until as Pennywise says "you go back to the weeds".

That's scary, and if IT can use those fears against them, then that could make him still a very compelling antagonist, and give the sequel a different, but no less interesting, flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

People fondly remember the original movie which was a cheapo TV film with one really good performance but basically nothing else going for it.

• Locked thread