Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Spackle and paint makes me the carpenter I ain't.

I've been working on walling up a loft in our house, changing it into another bedroom. Everything has been going according to plan. Until a couple days ago. There is one wall that runs parallel to the roof rafters, so the county wanted me to install blocking at 24"OC. No problem. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, since I blew in another foot of insulation in the attic, so each step means having to dig through almost 2 feet of insulation to get a foot solidly on a rafter. Anyway, after mis-measuring a couple times (requiring separate trips back and forth across the attic), I got the blocking in and toenailed into the rafters.

Only to get down and see that my 3 1/2" nails were about 1/2" too long and the toenail fasteners blew through the ceiling. The 18' ceiling. :cry:

I just got done cutting the tips of the nails off with a cordless oscillating tool (Fein Multimaster saved a LOT of hassle) and giving a generous coat of spackle. Quick sand and a topping of ceiling white paint later on today and nobody will ever be the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

I pay for everything on credit cards, and pay those off monthly. This limits the individual withdrawals from my bank account, so I don't have surprise charges on my actual funds.

Obviously this only works if you have the restraint to use revolving credit.

Plus -- points, points, points!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:laugh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So... the bathroom DIY thread was almost all AI posters until the dogpile. Nice job, guys.

That's frighteningly bad. And the guy doxxing is just a dick. It's a structural issue, but it's not an immediate threat to life and limb.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Bathroon renovation thread.....?

Sorry but wut?

Check it out in DIY, it's a good 20 minute read right now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On that bombshell... I'm going to see Daniel Tosh's standup show on the Ohio State campus next week... on 4/20. That place is going to be an enormous loving hotbox.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Vice did an article on FYAD. I don't know if that's worse for Vice or FYAD.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's exactly that. My house has these instead which are pretty loving stiff and light as hell. Easy as piss to run cables and pipes through them as well, obviously.

Steel and trusses make the best houses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That might help out a lot TBH. How many small businesses and also manufacturers have been severly rear end hosed by Walmart?, let alone their employees?

Yep. Don't forget one of the seminal company fucks from Walmart, where they almost drove Vlasic out of business:

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

i regret nothing

I was feeling great, on a great day, until I cringed so hard, I think I pulled something...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

Just got the formal letter and their benefits information.

I pay $293.08 over two weeks for my health insurance right now, but thats for $900 individual deductible / $1800 family deductible, in network.

The new company is $1200/$3600 but only would cost me $234.07 every two weeks.

I would get two weeks vacation this year, three starting next year. Here I'd have to wait four more years to get that third week.

Man... This is a hard decision...

So the medical costs less, but costs more to use it.

That sounds like the same equation with the "makes a bit more money, but adds more than half a day per week drive time."

Both of those would be too tough to swallow for me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Good luck with the nuptials!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Look up barbell complexes, they'll kick your rear end and are kind of fun.
To get you started the Evil 8 Complex is what I do if I don't have time for my usual stuff - https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique

Good Mornings, all day.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Our government is badly-written fiction:

Sean Spicer posted:

"You had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn't even sink to using chemical weapons," Spicer said in response to questions about the implications of Assad's chemical attacks.

:stare:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So the problem, as Spicer sees it, is that Hitler didn't deliver.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Liquid Communism posted:

As long as you're straight, white, Republican, and Christian you'll probably be fine.

Well, I know for a fact that he's white.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I had a rather sobering day at work today and realized that while I love my job it is no longer a defining part of me. I don't need to be "the comic book guy" anymore and would probably welcome a change. So I hope she does get the NC job, it would be a great kickstart for both of us.

That said, time to start ditching all my extra garbage.

I've found that it's easy to just let inertia do its thing. But then, a big change requires a decision and, if you go with it, it often puts you in a much better place than you were before.

Then inertia settles in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Welp I'm officially engaged!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Congrats and/or condolences!

Owning a home Being married alternates between amazingly awesome and amazingly stressful.

McTinkerson posted:

The 944 S2 also have a loving huge four cylinder don't they?

Edit: 3.0l, yeah that's a lot of displacement for four cylinders.

And they're turbo'd. My first turbo experience was in one of those, the S2 (Edit: It was a turbo S, in "Silver Rose") was a limited edition pink-like color. I took it out to the back lot where I was working as a valet. The first car I had driven with a turbo, and it defined turbo lag. However, I was absolutely not prepared for the push when the turbo hit, and it pushed me back enough to pull my foot off the accelerator. I was sold on turbos at that point.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 13, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

RIP mustang. You were not witnessed. :(

Cage posted:

I have a phone number from a witness

So confusing. Perhaps your license plate was taken as a command by a bystander?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I like the concept of this guy's channel, but I can't stand the way he pronounces "jaws" as "jawls."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

Man, asked a guy when his 944's timing belt was last changed... 5,000 miles ago, in the year 2005.

A twelve year old timing belt.. he was pissed when I told him I didn't think it'd make it the hundred miles home unless it was on a flatbed.

944s have an interval of like, 30,000 or every two years, with the tension checked halfway between.

edit: lmao "car is better than you deserve" when I asked how old the tires were.

He's a dealer (as evidenced by the Ohio Dealer plates on the car) advertising in the "by Owner" section. That's the type of scamming flipper that I avoid at all costs.

Yes, I've flipped cars, but I've done it fully legit -- title transferred, taxes paid, etc. loving around with the "but I own the car bullshit is infuriating.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

It was this one. I've been inquiring about a few 944s around. The black one in Ohio sounded pretty legit, talking to the guy. But it's too far and I don't feel like fixing the odometer and timing belt and it's four hours away and I'm not desperate or anything.

Sounds like it hasn't been driven much in the past decade and now he wants to sell it. HE KNOWS WHAT HE HAS!

Oh, I thought it was the black one you posted earlier.

You should ask the pretentious owner of the red one if the hood has been repainted, or if everything else around it has.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

That was the same story on the 928 when I picked it up. Less than 2k on the belt but it was done in 2000. Was able to knock $1500 off the asking price for that. then I went on to drive it ~15k miles for three more years Yay for non-interference engines

The counterpoint to that is kimbo's Ferrari.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

opengl128 posted:

lol I did the same changing the oil in my mower. never bothering to do that again, what a frigging mess.

Was it a Honda with no drain plug, where you have to tip the whole mower on its side and drain it out of the fill tube? If so, I feel you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

To be fair I don't think I've ever seen a non-I/C mower with an oil drain plug.

I think every Briggs & Stratton motor I ever had had a drain plug.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

I actually just changed the oil on my father's Toro super recycler with a B&S engine. No drain plug.

I mean, it's hard enough to get your average consumer to regularly change the oil in their car and I would assume such people aren't even aware their mower has oil to change. For all intents the oil in a small engine is a lifetime fluid.

It probably comes down to when the motor was made. I haven't had a Briggs motor made after the early '90s. But yeah, I remember their drains because they used square plugs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My Toro has a drain plug, but I'm letting it die so I can get an electric mower :getin:

So I found out how a "friend" of mine really feels about me after some good natured ribbing turned into brutal personal attacks.....Like what the gently caress are you serious? It hurts, but at the same time at least I know where I stand with this person now, Jesus.

It's okay, leica, we still like you. Anything we have to say about you, it's done directly without delay. No need to worry about stifled aggressions. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

beep-beep car is go posted:

poo poo son. My wife makes like 20k more than I do and it's great!

poo poo son. My wife makes like 60k more than I do and it's great!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

freelop posted:

our finances are shared so it doesn't matter who earns most

Yup. We've got an equal division of work and responsibilities. It is a lot different than stereotypical gender norms, but who cares, it works for us.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Do you mean this literally, like a joint checking account?

Cause I've anyways found my co-workers who do this, are always arguing about money. My wife and I maintain completely separate bank accounts, and have agreed upon responsibilities for bills and expenses. We argue about dumb poo poo but rarely money because the bills are paid and whatever money is spent is earned by the person spending it.

Shared everything here, too. I pay all the bills, she makes most of the money. We work as a team and there are no issues.

I have to encourage her to spend money and she tolerates my buying of random things, mostly because I've established a long track record of making money on the things I do. Sure, there's always a chance (probability) of taking a loss at some point, but overall, the system has worked for a long time with no issues.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I broke the chain on my road bike going up a hill. Too much raw power and torques. RAWR.

Then I had to remove a couple links and limp it home. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

About damned time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Thanks guys!

The best part is that you can stop exercising again!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm still working on walling up a loft in our house. To do it "right," and update the county's info so that it's officially a 4 bedroom house, I need to go through the permitting process. It's a bit silly.

For two walls, I need a rough electrical, rough framing, final electrical and final framing inspection. poo poo's a bit of overkill. On top of that, the three bedrooms on the second floor have all of their doors adjacent, and the two existing bedrooms have smoke detectors immediately inside each. The county requires a smoke detector immediately inside the new one. They ALSO require a combo smoke/carbon monoxide detector outside of the rooms. So, within a 15 square foot area, I'll have 4 interconnected smoke detectors. I'd say that's well covered.

And running the wiring in the attic with over 18" of blown insulation is a goddamned pain. I can dig down to where I need to work, but there's a continual cascade of insulation falling as I'm working.

At least that part is just about done. Rough electrical inspection scheduled for Wednesday, I'm hoping the inspector doesn't do anything stupid... fingers crossed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I have been informed that the NHTSA is who regulates this

drat shame because my wife really likes them

Lies. Nobody likes the NHTSA.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Our Kunekune had babies in the torrential storm last night!

:classiclol: :dance: :coolfish:

Those cats are damned funny lookin'.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah something like that sort of maybe sort of happening right now to me as well.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do you mean a pressure cooker?

Good luck!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oldsmobile posted:

Oh god, I bought a 1-series BMW. Now what?

Do a burnout, obv.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

scuz posted:

Ditch the back seats, too. They're vestigial at best.

At that point, just cut off the rear part of the roof and make it a ute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My wife is running her first half-marathon tomorrow... it looks like it's going to be pouring the whole time. :(

• Locked thread