Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So after spending the first two months of the year scrambling to design a new machine, then finding a vendor willing to build the large parts in 6 weeks, then everything coming together on time, the loving freight company has lost my parts. Two three foot square plates, 1" thick, and a 4" stainless tube 6 feet long. If they got here on time I'd still be killing myself to build the machine by my deadline. Now they're a week overdue and still lost. If they don't get here by Monday we miss displaying the machine at a trade show which was the whole point of the mad scramble and tight deadlines.

The missing parts are the core of the machine, so I can't do anything like build the machine halfway and bolt them on later. I'm really screwed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I just interviewed a guy and while I was explaining what our company does, which is make machines that speed up or automate processes, I made a comment about replacing people. He replied with "Well if you're not replacing people, you're the one being replaced."

I hadn't thought about it in such cold evolutionary terms before but it does have a truth to it, sadly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I got in to a big minimum wage argument with a friend of mine who started at the bottom and is now CEO/Owner of a small janitorial company after 25 years. He was bitching really hard about minimum wage going up, so I opened an excel spreadsheet. I ran the numbers of minimum wage vs consumer price index since 1970 and I learned something interesting. Historically, minimum wage stagnates behind the CPI and ends up needing a huge correction every 5-10 years. Guess what time it is now?

So in the end I won him over by asking "You say your employees should work as hard as you did, but should they do it for less pay than you made?" And he actually came around and admitted that if I was right, then he was wrong and would stop bitching about minimum wage hikes.

It still sucks for him because his entire business model is based on part time minimum wage employees, so every time minimum wage goes up he has to raise prices and he always loses a customer or two when that happens.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 7, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ferremit posted:

So we've lit the fire for the first time this year. Took the kitties about 10 minutes to find it.

Wanna pet dem kitties.

I live a pet free life due to allergies, but cats are so ideal for me and I wish I could have one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've only driven a 944 once, and I was really impressed with it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Man, I really want to move but it's just not in the cards right now. I have 4 cars (technically 5 until I sell my old daily) with a 2 car garage but otherwise everything is perfect. I'm throwing down almost 800 a month into principal and I paid so little in interest last year that my itemized deductions were actually lower than the standard deduction. Basically I'm going to stay here till my daughter graduates high school and then see what the cards deal us. If she goes to college out of state then I'm probably out of here and will move in with my dad to ride out the last few years of his life. He's 80 and very spry right now but that could change at any time so I want to hang with him as much as I can. If my daughter goes to college locally then I want to stick around and help keep her expenses down.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I made 80% of the money through my 10 year marriage and I still resent my ex wife for it. Even divorced we'd both be so much farther ahead in life if she'd just been able to get and keep a job. Of course it's really not the amount she contributed, but the lack of contribution while simultaneously blaming me for our quality of life was just too much.

Biodome posted:

I'm in Denver for the weekend with my girlfriend and it's taking a little to get used to the slower speed limits. Also, our rental car has a horrible knocking sound when turning on the a/c. It goes away after a few seconds, though. Actuator?

Anyone got any fun suggestions of things to do or places to check out while we're in Denver? Places to eat?

Sorry I missed this. Red Rocks park is great to go and get some scenery and imagine how awesome concerts sound there. The Buckhorn Exchange is a very historic Colorado restaurant and it's just south of downtown and right on the light rail if you want to get hammered. A little farther out of town is The Fort restaurant, similar food as the Buckhorn but a little different atmosphere. They sell a whiskey shot with gunpowder in it. I always get one when I go to feel manly. The Clifford Still museum is pretty amazing if you like impressionist art.

Unfortunately it's too early to get to the top of a 14er unless you go skiing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I'm considering buying this to replace my '97 850 as a winter beater. Wikipedia tells me they were turbo only in the US. I've had my 850 for nearly eight years and it has 148k on it... but this one has a new timing belt, brakes, and tires; AWD, and it's a wagon where I only have a sedan. Should I? Would I be stupid not to?

Should ask in the Volvo thread. If he's telling the truth about the maintenance, then yes. That's a drat good value. And there is absolutely nothing unreliable about the turbo engine or 4 speed automatic. Dudes take those to 300k all the time, all you need is regular fluid changes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've totally gotten into crock pot cooking this year, but so far I only make one thing over and over. It's so easy. 3lb hunk of beef, sear it while chopping 3 lb of red potatoes, throw it in the crock with a 12 oz bag of baby carrots, some diced onion, and 4 packets of lipton beefy onion soup mix. Fill with water about an inch below the rim and wait 6 hours till you can cut the beef with a spoon, done. I recently bought a 7 quart crock just so I could match the quantities easier than the smaller one I had. Then we eat it for a week.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

SOMEONE FORGOT TO CLOSE THE APRIL THREAD

YOU'RE LUCKY I'M COOL CUZ I'M DURNK ENOUGH TO POST DIC PICS BUT I WON'T BECAUSE I LOVE MY SA ACCOUNT AND DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR ALL MY poo poo AGAIN.

I LOVE YOU GUYS.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

OMG SOMEBODY STOP ME I'M A TIME TRAVELER

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I HEARD THIS poo poo CAUSES PARKINSONS

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

WAIT THAT'S NO JOKE I WILL BUY YOU PLAT IF YOU KILL RUSH LIMBAUGH

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ok sorry I'm done plz don't probate me.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I said I was done man be cool.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Not even gay but gettin a sympathy semi.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

DRUNK LIVES MATTER.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If you like tubby car goon dudes boy have i got a treat for you.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How the gently caress does that get enough traction to wheelie with those cute little tires?

maybe I do!

lol cute little tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread