Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/847913284971896832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am really excited for Injustice 2. I loved the first one and really dug that it had all sorts of single-player content (barely touched the multi, actually).

I wanted to like Mortal Kombat X but it was too gory for me :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think if you are mainly focused on competitive play SFV is probably OK? But the fact they rushed it to release for the pro circuit with a lot of features missing soured a lot of people who bought it on release.

Also in the last thread I mentioned the competition for Best Video Game Cat 2017, I forgot that Injustice 2 is in the running, this year is pretty fierce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emk6aU-3UZU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

yooka laylee looks so bad

Snake Pass looks pretty good!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I still need to finish Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble. I got to the snow mountain and then got distracted by Doom

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, Kiddy Kong is such a doofus of a character but Dixie has a cool helicopter ability and the animal friends are all right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/cOP6Sjh.gifv

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Even after watching that Giant Bomb clip of like 40 janky animations in the same quest, I think I could live with that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYgUhXDDio

But not all the transition and loading screens they force you to sit through for every single step you take. That really looked like a dealbreaker to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember to pay your taxes, USians.

And properly fill out your withholdings so you're not staring at an obscene number when you file your return

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Nier:A cutscenes are video files, so maybe they were encoded at 30 or 24fps? People say they are smoother on the consoles, though I don't know if that's verified or just a gut reaction

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The problem I had was that the game would only display one prompt at a time, so when 9S stepped in front of the chest I only accidentally talked to him about a handful of times, but most other times it happened I would have to move and rotate the camera to get the chest prompt again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

i recall this being pretty fun

Ash Ketchum.

...Ash "Catch 'Em".

:aaa:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

Man I should probably power through Yakuza 0 before that comes out, I still need to do the last 1/4 of Horizon and still have tons of ME:A left :sweatdrop:

I just finished Nier, and I think I have enough time to play the Infinite Warfare campaign before P5 gets here. Need a bit of a change-up lest I suffer an overdose of anime

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is "garbage" an official genre

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Getting infected with the S-Virus would be effective body horror, actually

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

I hit the 9S thing a couple of times, but far more often I'd run up to a chest, overshoot, have 2B step over the chest to the side where you don't get the prompt, and spend far too long trying to step back over the chest and into the activation zone.

It's all academic though because I got all 5 endings now and I'll never go back and plat it because war is pointless and so is all of existence really.

NieR: Automata is definitely emotionally raw but I thought it had one of the most heartwarming moments of a game this year and I left things feeling affirmed about life

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why is polygon reporting on Shrek anyway?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Run it at 320x240

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have been playing that game again, its pretty good and is funnier then it has any right to be.

At the very least, it is Most Accurate Game Title 2016. I think at least 5% of my playtime was taking photos of dogs
http://i.imgur.com/U0UISP8.gifv

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember that in Fallout 3 Bethesda wanted to force you into one of two dumb endgame decisions even though there were other options that would make infinitely more sense, and if you tried to do the smart thing the game handwaved it away with "This is your destiny."

People complained so much that they added those other options into DLC but even then if you chose the actual smart thing to do the game called you a coward for some reason

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

What games do the "your actions determine the outcome" thing well?

Fallout: New Vegas. Alpha Protocol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

That was indeed the dumbest thing in decision-making story games.

Not only could you have two different companions that are unaffected by radiation, you had another one that gets healed from it, why would you make a radioactive room be the big life-changing finale of your game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This reminds me: why is it called 8-Bit Bayonetta when it doesn't use 8-bit style graphics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

the level was called Trudge Gently, Cat Scuzzy

Touch Fuzzy, Get Izzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woawRq8N-JE&t=25s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

a kid at the school i work for keeps carving DEDSEC into things

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Some people have been playing Persona 5 for six months!

I got lucky and Gamefly just mailed out my copy so I will be forlornly checking my mailbox every half hour tomorrow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Bayonetta is really coming out for the PC on the 11th, I might have to put Persona on hold. I really loved Nier: Automata but there was a bit of time where I had been expecting a Platinum-style action game and was kind of disappointed that it wasn't really that. Bayonetta would hit the spot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The comparison to 2D fighting games is pretty apt and actually explains why I like the Platinum combat so much, because in 2D fighting games they have to make everyone's moves "fair" and punishable, including your own. Platinum games are like playing a fighting game, except all your moves are unfair, you can dodge and block most of your enemies' moves without penalty, dodging makes you invincible, time slows down for you to react better, and enemies have only a handful of moves that are completely telegraphed and punishable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is surprisingly not bad. The campaign is straightforward but punchy and it is basically the Battlestar Galactica/Expanse game I didn't know I wanted. But I think I am swayed by my love of military chatter, and naval chatter is the best kind, which is also why I loved Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

you should play titanfall 2

I did. I know that's a better game but it doesn't have naval chatter

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Military chatter is like the worst kind of white noise, I don't understand how anyone can be fond of that, even if you actually served.

There's something very musical about it. I like the rhythm of it like the rhythm of David Mamet dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The snake in Snake Pass looks like the chillest motherfucker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

The only reason why Jim Sterling dresses like a Nazi is because a black unifrom looks pretty good on a fat guy.

This reminds me of Jeff Gerstmann talking about how when they were originally spooling up Giant Bomb they were considering giving it a fantasy theming with Sifl-and-Olly style wizard puppet characters. It's like, of all the sites and personalities that started popping off in the late 2000s/early 2010s, they were the only ones to not jump off the cliff with gimmicks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

collecting stupid doodads in Witcher 3 is an insanely small facet of a narrative-driven game compared to a platformer where it's the law of the lands

I love SM64 and the first BanjoKazooie but when DK64 came out that was it, donezo

Those collectathons always felt before a threshold for me, where I used to have plenty of time to play the handful of games I had access to, and now I have no time to play my backlog of hundreds of games. I vividly remember the flags in Assassin's Creed 1 being the point where I realized, "Oh, this is bullshit, I don't have to do this." A game these days that is about repetitive tasking designed to waste time feels worse than it used to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are great. they are basically darker(but not lovely dark) version of the diniverse. origins is a bit of a mess as is knight, but asylum and city are great.

I wish the Arkham games actually looked like the Dini shows/comics. I liked Asylum and City but the character designs were just so grotesque to me that they were painful to look at. Seeing the Knight trailer, I was like, "Eh. I think I had my fill"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i liked the campain too, i like that it didnt pull any punches at the end and i also liked that you were basicaly fighting a civilization based Terran Federation from starship troopers. a bunch of dead eyed facist dickheads. they litteraly have service guarantees citizen ship posters and the more enemies the more privileges you gain. sure its straight forward, but its interesting.

Yeah, I suppose those death quotes that are like "Freedom has no place in the light of our sun" and "The days of individual happiness are over" might have felt over-the-top and cheesy even just a year ago. But like with the Sterling thing discussed above nowadays I can't muster any irony towards them and they just felt chilling

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Yooka-Laylee had you collecting nubbins to kill fascists I might be into it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, what sterling stuff? he is kinda of wanker but like i am not surprised people didnt like yoka laylee. playing the demo, it was clear it was going to be a niche thing.

Oh, it was discussed earlier about how Jim Sterling started his whole ironic fascist imagery stuff a long time ago and now with the way the wind is blowing it's not as "funny" as it used to be

Nate RFB posted:

People forget that Persona 4 is really not that old at all. The very first release on the PS2 was two years into the loving PS3. So no I don't think misplaced nostalgia is playing that big of a part here.

Kids who played Persona 4 when they were twelve would be graduating college now, that would be enough time for nostalgia I think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne1HcEU7sho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there games in may

Prey, Injustice 2... uh... Rime looks like it might be good? The Surge, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU