Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't get the title :(

e: never mind, I'm bad and skipped past the OP

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remember to take fifteen-minute breaks for every hour of gaming, friends.

Game on!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I understand bathing with your clothes on, not a fan of keeping a picture of a model in your bathroom though, that poo poo'll get soggy as gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shovel Knight says, "Highest bidder."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZo5Gnxog8

(I like his speech effects though :D)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do people consider the Donkey Kong Country games to be collectathons? Sure, they had like ten different varieties of coins to worry about, but they were hardly mandatory.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The world's gone crazy.

Lately I've noticed people defending Ocarina of Time's water temple. In this post-fact world we live in, what's considered good and what isn't has become arbitrary.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Good talk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not Black Flag?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

ok something awful thread, someone bought me nier automata as an april fool's day gift because i'm a huge rear end in a top hat. should i play a bunch of doom 2016 out of nothing but vindictive spite?

Can you regift Steam gifts?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

In Skyrim, does doing the side quests effect the ending? Like, if I complete the werewolf and thief quest lines before I finish the plot quests, will the game end with Skyrim controlled by the werewolf Mafia?

Hehe, not in the least

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So the Touch the Skyrim series taught me that YouTube is perfectly cool with virtual fantasy dry humping, I didn't think that'd be the case

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about it now, the whole "war never changes" tagline that Fallout games do is pretty silly. Because war has changed, that's why the world's a radioactive wasteland right now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's a cheap way to make decisions feel meaningful without any actual pesky coding but it also works on me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That was a zombie

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, Yoshi's Island. "Touch Fuzzy Get Woozy" or whatever the level was called.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Watch Dogs 2 looks real good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought I had played a Platinum game (Viewtiful Joe 2) but looking it up, that was Clover. So I've never played a Platinum game, they don't appeal to me, I only like old man games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They put Resident Evil 4 on every gaming platform ever invented, why not God Hand???

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

flight simulator?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone try the Dark Souls 3 DLC yet?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:woop:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

no, you're supposed to react with anger that anyone could criticize the magic darling series that is dark souls

Nice meltdown

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls 3 is my fave

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

thehoodie posted:

I am playing Golden Sun again. These are some masterpieces in game design. Criss-crossing the world and returning to old places with new purposes, but it never feels tedious. And the art is just great. I remember why I loved them so much as a kid.

That's surprising to hear. These days it's commonly accepted that they were actually pretty mediocre games but felt good thanks to the graphics and the general dearth of contemporary RPGs on handheld.

People could correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it's still the golden sun it was at the time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm leaving on a work trip tomorrow and won't be back until Friday, so I'm forcing myself not to start Persona 5 yet or I'm gonna go nuts. :negative:

Might be time to resign

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The whole Miku thing (as I understand it anyway, it's just a corporate virtual pop singer right?) is very weird to me, like, even Gorillaz has clear authorship behind it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every pop star goes through a drug phase, just wait

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've read sci-fi short stories warning us about this

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rexroom posted:

I like the idea of giving bedroom producers a chance to publish a song with the help of Vocaloids. I think most songs Miku is known for were made by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts from online communities such as 2ch and Nico Nico Douga. That's one of the awesome aspects of the whole Vocaloid phenomenon. In an ironic way, Miku is more real than your typical big label produced stars, despite being a virtual idol of some sort.

Lots of pop singers these days write or have written at least some of their songs, I'd love to hear an AI-generated Miku song with lyrics

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Visual novel with RPG elements

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean you can't deny that those examples show some very very awkward phrasing, there's no grammar nazism involved

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't criticize games for having flaws

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm not racist but all animes look the same to me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You think you're worth arguing with me?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's a mod in Skyrim that lets you turn down quests. It's vital.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Thee" and "thou" were the informal form of "you" so a chivalrous froggy knight shouldn't be using them all the time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you're gonna include an anthropomorphic animal in your video game, you better be drat sure that at least 20% of their dialogue is relevant animal puns

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a specific Japanese word for non-Japanese comic books?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you were translating a French piece of fiction that had the word "fiancée" in it, would you stick with "fiancée" or go with, like, "betrothed"

This is interesting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That'd really depend on the tone of the piece more than anything. Fiancée is pretty much the same, tone-wise, in french as it is in english. But if you wanted to convey a certain tone for the piece or haughtiness of the character that's indicated in their other speech patterns in french, you might go with betrothed in english.

Sometimes translating the text in the most intuitive way can rob characters of some personality. Translation is a real difficult job with a lot of things to consider.

Then you have situations where like a French-speaker's choice between using second person singular or second person plural in a given conversation reflects how they feel about the other participants or what they think their place within is, which if you wanted to translate into English you'd have to fudge the words and expressions to make it work.

You've got Persona with its honourifics and its dedication to underlining and maintaining the Japanese-ness of the setting, and then you've got Phoenix Wright with its hamburgers and its decision to be set in the US despite of all the spirit mediums running amok and the obviously-not-American legal system. Translation can go so many different ways, you might say it is as artful as the original writing itself!!!

Examining how translators translated a thing and comparing it to the original is very interesting to me, shame I don't know any Japanese and therefore can't apply it to video games

• Locked thread