Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lizard Wizard posted:

How about let's post our favorite gaming-adjacent merch that we own?

I bought this friend last year on a whim. Never been big on plushies, but it's really well made and I find myself squeezing it quite a lot.

It's good.

nice. i found a good bunch of cool pokemon plushies on play asia on the official pokemon store. found a really cute offcial cubone plushy as well as abra plushy.

Zaphod42 posted:

The reason why it was received so well was because of the sea shanties.

Sea Shanty Simulator was okay.

This guy is my fav

same. mine sits on top of my tv and has a little plastic headcrab on his head.

for this months gaming. it honestly depends, I bit the bullet and bought the bullestorm remaster on psn. yeah gearbox can gently caress itself to death, but the money apperently is going to people can fly. plus i loved the game when it came out because it was basically borderlands done right. other then that. i may try for persona 5 and maybe pick up neir automata and horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Haha, mine is wearing the plush headcrab-hat. Great minds buy similar poo poo I guess :cheeky:

I also have a Left4Dead boomer that I got on sale :) He's the size of a loving basketball.

nice. i am going to a convention with my gf next week. so ill probaly get more pointless poo poo.

I said come in! posted:

Persona 5 pre-loaded and ready to go. :peanut:

should i get it? i have never played a persona game(have heard they are good/great) and want to try one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i have been playing that game again, its pretty good and is funnier then it has any right to be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i need to play that someday too.

tap my mountain posted:

New Vegas does the same thing just with factions

pretty much. but i like depending on what side quests you do/how you do them and followers and stuff, effects the ending. like you can have a wasterland that a chaotic shithole or one of relative peace.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oodx4X1z0yI

so a new agents of mayhem trailer hit. its basicaly a 80s cartoon/movie/tv show inspired game in the saints row universe. i want to like it, but that swapping mecanic looks bad plus it just looks generic, like i get what they are trying to go for and i am sure it will be ok at least because volition has talent. but the everything look, idk eh. it looks like something that was poo poo out by gearbox.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is surprisingly not bad. The campaign is straightforward but punchy and it is basically the Battlestar Galactica/Expanse game I didn't know I wanted. But I think I am swayed by my love of military chatter, and naval chatter is the best kind, which is also why I loved Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

yeah, i liked the campain too, i like that it didnt pull any punches at the end and i also liked that you were basicaly fighting a civilization based Terran Federation from starship troopers. a bunch of dead eyed facist dickheads. they litteraly have service guarantees citizen ship posters and the more enemies the more privileges you gain. sure its straight forward, but its interesting.

an actual dog posted:

Yooka-Laylee 64

that doesnt surprise me. i played the alpha and its basically just a old rare platformer with all the postives/flaws but with better graphics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Maybe. but I'm of the opinion that any genre can be "modernized." The genre was in fashion for a time for a reason, people clearly enjoy the basic gameplay loop. If it feels dated, it means developers didn't properly bring the genre "forward" via innovations, improved level design, better mechanics, etc.

Course I'm no game designer so

your right. i mean DOOM 2016 and the new wolfenstiens new order/old blood, proved you can make a good retro like game with modern amenities.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Some (me!) would even argue that Souls borne games are more or less pixel Castlevania/Metroidvania gameplay brought forward to modern 3d gaming.

And obviously Persona 5 is an example of a genre that has been around since the NES days and is still relevant and largely unchanged from its basic gameplay loop of turn-based battles, it's just dolled up with modern amenities like an awesome storyline, additional gameplay mechanics like the sim stuff, insane production values, etc

i will make a even further reach and say the batman games(least asylum and city) brought back the metroidvania deal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KingSlime posted:

You know, I need to get around to playing those

They have been on my list for years

they are great. they are basically darker(but not lovely dark) version of the diniverse. origins is a bit of a mess as is knight, but asylum and city are great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I love City but its story is definitely lovely dark.

i guess it depends what you consider lovely dark. but yeah probably.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish the Arkham games actually looked like the Dini shows/comics. I liked Asylum and City but the character designs were just so grotesque to me that they were painful to look at. Seeing the Knight trailer, I was like, "Eh. I think I had my fill"

maybe. i like the designes apart from the liefeld syndrome some of the characters have. knight for all its issues works on that part.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Asylum repeated the same terrible boss battle like 10 times. I never understood why they did that.

my guess is they is they ran out of time. or wernt sure what to do. the game went through dev hell for while apparently.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I suppose those death quotes that are like "Freedom has no place in the light of our sun" and "The days of individual happiness are over" might have felt over-the-top and cheesy even just a year ago. But like with the Sterling thing discussed above nowadays I can't muster any irony towards them and they just felt chilling

yeah, what sterling stuff? he is kinda of wanker but like i am not surprised people didnt like yoka laylee. playing the demo, it was clear it was going to be a niche thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I think your premise is a little flawed there because while it's nice for a child to have a "big budget" game, I think the sheer volume of cheap, indie, free and mobile games a child has access to makes it difficult to compare the experience of a child today to that of one back in the "one game at christmas every year" generation who grew up with an N64. The cheap/free games I could play as a kid were garbage Game and Watch tier stuff, while a kid today can play some genuinely amazing stuff at no cost at all.

this. kids least when i was one, dont have discerning or good taste. they just buy "my favorite cartoon": the game or movie based games or whatever aunt or grandma got. my first game for ps1 was star wars teras kasi.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what I was saying, exactly.

true. sorry read it wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prey, Injustice 2... uh... Rime looks like it might be good? The Surge, maybe

ill get prey because i need my shock fix.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like the idea. but the mechanics(pick 3 of 12 or so heroes) and gently caress about in open world with boring looking shooting controls, looks meh. i like volition alot, so i hope it ends up good.

Guy Mann posted:

The previews for Agents of Mayhem have been universally negative, even from people liked Saints Row. One guy even compared it to Battleborn in terms of how anemic both the humor and the gameplay was.

yeah, i got the same impression, which makes me sad. volition is usualy pretty good with gameplay and humor(unlike gearbox) so its sad that they poo poo this thing out. it definitely has a battleborn quality to it.

Ometeotl posted:

Game devs don't post on Neogaf. The last one was Dyack and they chased him off.

yeah, its mostly journalists and weirdos now. its all political threads and graphics fights now too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shindragon posted:

The funny thing is and maybe I"m in the minority because I don't know the general consesus but I feel SA's Game threads are the least console warrior poo poo in random game forums I been too.

Like here? The Nintendo goons are pretty chill. Nintendo gaf? Annoying rear end smug pricks. Seriously the NPD thread was the worst because holy poo poo was it just cheerleading.

I joined SA for the LPs, and then I ventured into Games and stayed there. I end up getting some good goon steam friends along the way.

this. Goons are pretty chill and funny/clever for the most part, espcialy the games area. I joined for GBS/games and politics and partly because of the various great star wars threads. plus this place doesnt is nice mix of hosed up jokes and being relatively safe. gaf just sucks because its just a weird echochamber now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Bulletstorm was loving amazing but selling a completely unnecessary remaster that:

-doesn't improve anything about the known issues with the game (like adding more combos based on tons of available player feedback and speedruns, adding encounters to places/arenas that felt abandoned, adding a co-op campaign and ng+)
-doesn't finish the cliffhanger campaign
-removes the original version of the game from stores
-is being sold at a full-game price even to previous bulletstorm owners
-doesn't even include that dumb duke nukem bonus protagonist because it's being sold for additional money as DLC

is some peak Gearbox bullshit. Instead of using this as a chance to rejuvenate the game for a potential sequel by improving it they're basically burying it and will be dumbfounded how come it didn't sell.

i was a dumb poo poo and preordered it only because people can fly made the remaster. its still a great game but now sligtly better looking and 60fps as well as new game plus. the duke thing is weird because its basically a glorified skin but jon st john kinda says poo poo over the cutscenes and during gameplay while characters call him grey and go about their story normal. it sorta works but its eh. and it looks lazy as gently caress at times.

Quest For Glory II posted:

how can battleborn be an esports game when it is hobby grade. actually i have no idea what hobby grade means

does anyone even play that game? i played the beta and it was loving terrible and unfunny as gently caress. it was like if you made borderlands cut out any of what little clever stuff there was and made it even worse and toned it down to just lovely memes.

Guy Mann posted:

People have so much goodwill for Lucasarts adventure games just because they weren't quite as bad as their competition and they had things like "voice acting" and "jokes". It was really disappointing finally getting to play the re-releases and see that they're still pretty impenetrable without a guide and a lot of the wacky proto-nerd humor has aged horribly.

i grew up after the point and clicks and mostly played tie fighter and battlegrounds(still love that game) and jedi outcast and academy as well as kotor. i even liked the force unleashed games because i am broken.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Been playing Dishonored 2 (got it from GF for Christmas and been on backlog) story is meh(like the last one) but the world building and lore are cool. they also greatly improved the combat and the made it even more gory. grenades really tear stuff up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I rolled my eyes really hard when the RedLetterMedia guys complained that the diversity in The Force Awakes felt like a cold and calculated marketing move but then in Rogue One that was definitely the vibe I got from Cirrut and Baze where they put a pretty cool and non-traditional gay couple (older dudes, masculine, Asian, total badasses) in the movie but then shied away of actually being explicit enough to avoid deniability. Rogue One in general kind of felt like that all over, it wasn't a bad movie by any means but for every interesting decision or risk it took it also did something that felt kind of dumb or playing it too safe in the name of building the brand and appealing to the international market.

Of course this year Disney just went through a lot of poo poo internationally for refusing to edit out a gay subplot in that live-action Beauty and the Beast movie to the point where it didn't even get released in some places so :shrug:

I never saw them as gay, just really really old friends/brothers in arms who have basicaly lived with each other since children and having different perspectivece on how they follow faith. i guess i didnt notice the gay cues. i was more annoyed how flat everyone character was in rogue one. like yeah there was stuff you could piece together easy enough and Cirrut and Baze and the robot were likable enough. but holy gently caress main dude and lead lady were flat and boring, they had potential to be interesting but it was underused. y it was just idk i didn't care about them or feel really bad for them at the end. in 7, all the characters are cool and likable and you route for them and feel for them. kylo is a interesting badguy/anakin done right/inverse vader.

also watched the star wars battlefront 2 and got weirdly annoyed because they messed up the imperials the stormtrooper sergeant is wearing the wrong pauldron. sergeants are grey/white, black pauldrons are for enlisted men, and orange if officers. they better fix it. :colbert:

also the new cod looks cool. cool to see back in world war 2. apperently alot of the campaign is the Battle of Hürtgen Forest. which i never heard off. looked it up. apperently it was a massive gently caress up and blunder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZl-pNGqMY&t

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Also this is as good of a place as any to ask this - what SA threads do you guys follow nowadays? It can be any subforum, I'm just in need of some cool threads.

I mostly do GBS/animal stuff/games/Cspam and some D&D and books.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well a bunch of Capcom stuff under-performed over the last year including Dead Rising 4 turning out to be a game pretty much nobody wanted.

What should they bring back now, a Dino Crisis reboot in time for the next Jurassic World movie?

yeah. DR4 was sorta fun in a loving about sorta way(i never cared for the timer or the save system in the old ones.) but it had no depth to it and was kinda just eh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Persona 5 is gotm for me definitely, but Shovel Knight was my runner-up which I played while my wife played P5. Spector Knight's campaign was great and I finally played Plague Knight's campaign which was also great.

i am a new comer to the persona games. Should i try 5, i have heard amazing stuff about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mutata posted:

Gotm for me is Horizon: Zero Dawn.

i bought a copy yesterday but the disk wont install :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So what do people think of the prey demo. i like it enough, it feels like bioshock(retro environmental design /possibly themes) in space but with sytem shocks design/mechanics and dishonored powers and control scheme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Indeed. The irony of people who profess to want gaming journalism to become more "legitimate" and less enthusiast/corporate press is that when someone actually puts in the effort to do thoughtful criticism especially in light of pop culture in general, they will get shouted down for "not being real gamers" or "not being objective about games" or because the writer doesn't shower the games they like in praise or something. That's not to say cultural criticism of games has been amazing but if earnest attempts to do it keep getting snuffed out by gamers, it's probably never going to take off. Which I guess is OK with me, but then I never really expected much from the enthusiast press to begin with.

i think the issue is that for every glixel or waypoint, you have a couple lovely sites like polygon/verge/etc who don't know how to write actual critical or though provoking stuff and just settle for getting mad and bitchy when something doesnt have their didactic political stuff or trying to get clickbait views but cant even play the loving games they talk about right(polygon doom)

The White Dragon posted:

my complaint about games journalism is that a lot of the writers are rude and sanctimonious as gently caress and treat you like poo poo for "wasting their time" with something that's below their interest

maybe it's different if you can meet them in person, but, uh, not all of us can afford to go to trade shows

this. give me more austin walkers. not kucheras or gies or that dumb gently caress who works for verge who got mad at shadow at mordor.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 30, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Well i mean look at this dude's loving coat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZX2n3iqaYc

i started playing the first one, its ok but not that far yet. but is it like a future where like everyone has expensive as gently caress super VR stuff to visit cities and that the characte you play as is just your avatar? which makes me believe the main character is some fat 30 something goon in irl.

i mean i loved the show when i was a kid but i always assumed you went to the digital world. not sat in your enjacularium with a vr headset. i guess i dont get this fad in JRPGS where its basicaly a game with in a game and nothing is real.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

alright started Hoiroizon and i am glad its as fun as everyone said it would be. i was worried it was going to be way more "complex" then it is. but so far i have been loving about and doing fine. story is interesting enough so far.

also bought nier automata, persona 5 and bioshock collection off amazon.

prey is also comming as well as some anniversary gifts to my gf.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

https://twitter.com/SURUdenise/status/858672861724233728

e: I have no idea if the Twitter embed worked, I'm on mobile

hmm, maybe stuff will get announced today. maybe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Kins posted:

Nah, pretty sure it's just a cute nod towards good times past. We're close enough to E3 that you shouldn't expect any major announcements before then.

yeah e3 hits first week of june right? any ideas what will be shown? kinda hoping for new wolfenstein.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

My money is on them announcing MGS6 with a very short teaser showing solid snake, probably voiced by Hayter.

yeah that sounds about right.

The Kins posted:

Sony: All the stuff they teased last year, except less of a tease. Also, CoDWW2 and Death Stranding.
MS: Scorpio reveal + launch titles, and a bunch of first party stuff that might even get released at some point.
Nintendo: Who the gently caress knows? Nintendo E3s are always weird.
EA: Battlefront 2, Need for Speed, FIFA... probably some Battlefield DLC and a token indie publishing thing, too.
Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed and probably something weird and/or mildly embarrassing.
Bethesda: Two reveals hinted, possibly new IPs. Would be very surprised if Wolfenstein and The Evil Within don't poke their heads in...
Square-Enix: I dunno. Probably more info on the FF7 Remake.
Konami: An exciting new Parodius slot machine for the Vegas market, and an exotic new Policenauts pachislot with animated scenes powered by the FOX Engine.

pretty much. my guess on ubisoft will be new asscreed(which apparently might be a soft reboot) maybe new splinter cell or other clancy game, new watch dogs dlc. new game franchises, and that avatar thing.

EA: will be what you said plus maybe some more star wars game announcements.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's way more powerful than a PS4 pro.

yeah but its also Microsoft.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

boy, MGS6 would have to really be something to lure me in. I can't imagine it even feeling the same, lacking the direction of Kojima

if it genuinly looked interesting(unlike survival) id think about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm looking forward to what Sony have to show this year because they are on a ridiculous streak of greatness at the moment and they can pretty much kill the Xbox brand off by overshadowing the Scorpio at E3 with game announcements so i expect we'll see some great new stuff.

this. Sony has been knocking it out of the park with exclusives, the only bad one was order 1886. what good ones does Microsoft have. like 1 maybe. the rest are either meh/poo poo/cancelled. i read somewhere that microsoft is probaly going to close up the gaming branch eventually and sell of the IPs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Metal Gear Survive sucks because it's not continuing the Metal Gear story and is instead just some completely survival game.

Metal Gear Solid 6 would suck because how dare they try and continue the story of Metal Gear without Kojima.

pretty much. honestly other then another RISING game. i am ok with the main metal gear series being done. yeah 5 story could have been better but it was good enough and tied up a bunch of stuff. if they make a 6, my guess is it will be a metal gear 1 & 2 remake.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's likely we'll just see the XBox become a Win10 proprietary gaming machine like it 75% is now.

probaly. i like my PS4 because it plays 3rd party games great and its exclusives are great and its UI is easy to use. if the xbone 12.0 is good then awsome, i will trade in my xbone for it. i use the xbone to play old games and some of the "better" exclusives.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eonwe posted:

the switch is a great companion console for someone who plays pc games

the main thing i hate about consoles are how clunky and slow the interface is, and man is the switch interface responsive

i am thinking of picking one up at some point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Scorpio is gonna cost as much as a 3DO when they came out lol

yeah and that and microsoft making hosed up tech at launch is probably why i will wait.

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish Bioshock Infinite was just a walking simulator around a gorgeous floating city because that's the best bit.

maybe, i kinda wish it were more like bioshock 1. instead it just feels like a more "complex" CoD. bioshock 1 was good because yeah there was fighting and killing, but you could wander around and look at poo poo and the world felt lived in. infinte is just set piece after set piece with like 300 cops and with very little time to let the game breath. I am hoping Prey gives me that Shock shot i need.

GUI posted:

The only Sniper Ghost Warrior I've played is the recent third one and the main missions and Far Cry-style outposts where they let you do whatever you want are pretty fun. The open world is meh though, the player movement is too slow for it and it's pretty rare to find cars even if it's ~~realistic.~~

i may pick that up someday. i just heard its a buggy mess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Kins posted:

Hexen is owned by Raven, who are on the COD chain gang and haven't been allowed to make a game of their own since they ballsed up Singularity super hard. Also, Hexen has aged very very poorly indeeYOU HAVE COMPLETED ONE SIXTH OF THE PUZZLE OF THE APRIL CHAT THREAD
"(name)'s Level Design Portfolio Piece"

holy poo poo. thats depressing. also remeber when polygon actually did good interesting articles, those were the days. :( but on singularty. it was an interesting idea but i can totaly believe what the dude said, it felt almost half finished and a mish mash of ideas that were rushed in to fit a bullshit crunch.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 1, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GUI posted:

Singularity went through a Bioshock Infinite-esque development hell where plenty of the developmental changes are available online for everyone to see. Less than a year before the game's release there were previews with entire areas, weapons, characters, third person cutscenes and a voiced main character which never made it into the finished game.

yeah that sucks. its still not bad considering all that. hope prey is good, demo has me sorta stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Sounds like what happened to TimeShift.

i never beat that game, i kinda got far i think, but then i stopped giving a poo poo. the gameplay is fun, but it never feels fleshed out enough to be great.

• Locked thread