Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok something awful thread, someone bought me nier automata as an april fool's day gift because i'm a huge rear end in a top hat. should i play a bunch of doom 2016 out of nothing but vindictive spite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only concrete memory i have of totalbiscuit is him having a twitter meltdown some odd years back about a reddit subforum being shut down, genuinely and earnestly comparing it to the napalming of a civilian village during the vietnam war

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it frightens me that there's people out there looking at that mass effect patch notes list who will say with a straight face that mass effect andromeda was a complete and good game from the second it launched

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

You have ten seconds to kawaii

wowzers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have no horse in this race which is ironic because the phrase "to think a prison would appear as such" sounds like something horse_ebooks would say

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snak posted:

All of those sentences seem grammatically correct?

aren't you the guy who thought the bloodborne boss' name was "glascoigne" for like a month

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in an ecosystem where dogs bark lasers how did the human race not get driven to extinction before inventing the wheel

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

I am playing the game, but as I get older my patience for games which gate content behind a second playthrough when a first playthrough takes 90+ hours is to say the least "naff".

same

like i've sunk a million hours into the witcher 3 at this point and i've barely even scratched the surface of the sidequests and not even started the DLC, i can't for the life of me ever imagine starting a ng+, which to their credit thankfully is not a gateway for content

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dearest friends, i have secured An Money alongside An job, and am working towards getting An Apartment, and I'm so full of happiness and the milk of human kindness I'm going to probably get high and try out that nier game you guys have been talking up so much, semper games

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what's an sa forums

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you're thinking of hakan

edit: whoops didn't refresh thread

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having still not fired up my gift copy of nier automata yet for various miscellaneous reasons i might drop the $20 on bayonetta and play that instead

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

having still not fired up my gift copy of nier automata yet for various miscellaneous reasons i might drop the $20 on bayonetta and play that instead

nm i've got a copy of prey coming in may and it would be imprudent of me to spend money on an videogame when so many are piling up at my door

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Macarius Wrench posted:

So why did Nintendo decide to finance a niche sequel that broadly goes against their usual child friendly library?

trying to get an exclusive property that would sell to niches that they were missing out on with the wii u

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

raditts posted:

The "family friendly" Nintendo image only ever applied to Nintendo of America anyway, didn't it? Back in the NES / SNES days they were infamous for bowdlerizing games for US release, removing blood and naughty language and all that, and even up to today when weeaboos rage about how characters are changed to dress more modestly or can't date their siblings or whatever.

i dunno man even if the "colorful italian man jumping on mushrooms" of the SNES/N64 area didn't stick them with a rep for family friendly titles the entire paradigm Mii and Wii Sports et al established at nintendo's zenith was definitely not an exclusively american thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I assume they mean Overwatch though that's a little different.

surely counterstrike still pulls in numbers that would leave overwatch pale

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man you've gotta be pretty dedicated to the idea of seeing nintendo fail if you're spinning "record breaking 1st month sales" into "disaster for nintendo"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Supergiant gets it

i have both of their tshirts and they might genuinely be the nicest tshirts i own

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not an expert on parasite eve but i think that resident evil was taking off in popularity at the time and spawning a bunch of copycats, and square put out parasite eve 2 as a quick grab at some of that cheddar

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sunning posted:

Squaresoft poached talent from Capcom to work on Parasite Eve 2. Some people who worked on Resident Evil and Megaman went on to work on PE2. For example, Kenichi Iwao, a writer for Resident Evil 1, became director of PE2. Iwao was responsible for creating the concept of Umbrella, the T-Virus and contributing to writing the STARS team, such as Wesker, for the original Resident Evil.

A lot of his ideas for Resident Evil 1 that didn't make the cut were reused for Parasite Eve 2. Other Resident Evil alumni in PE2's development team include Satoru Nishikawa and Yasuyuki Matsunami.

loev to have my insane unfounded speculation confirmed by an actual parasite eve expert

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

conglomerates like that don't need to be creative, they can buy creativity suck it dry and then buy more when it's nothing but a withered husk

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Quick, make up some other cool poo poo.

cd projekt reds' cyberpunk 2077, hitting steam summer 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

It's cool how many different series Resident Evil has inspired not just through influence but in all the development twists turns and failures that ended up launching tertiary series of their own and the careers led by professionals who worked on them

it's kind of insane to think about but not only is the series responsible for popularizing the survival horror genre as a whole, resident evil 4 also basically invented the 3rd person over the shoulder shooter along with all the pros and cons of that genre

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm happy to discount things like GTA3 (which has lovely gunplay) but you don't think, say, Max Payne did good third person shooting well before RE4?

do you really see as much similarity between max payne and any of the dozens upons dozens of 3rd person shooters that came out in the mid to late oughts as resident evil 4?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

I was gonna say I can't think of like any games that control like RE4

well dead space one at the very least

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gears of war at the not so very least

e:f;b

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

spongebob squarepants got weird

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm not denying that it was influential (Gears of War is one of the most significant games that borrowed from it, and was itself incredibly important), but stuff like Splinter Cell and SOCOM and Max Payne were around well before it, to say nothing of stuff like GTA or Jedi Knight (which had third person stuff that just wasn't very good).

i mean, and as that guy pointed out mdk and mdk 2 existed too. i'm not saying it was the first shooter with a third person camera ever. it was the predecessor for over the shoulder cover shooters.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

What's wrong with Human Revolution

i liked human revolution well enough until dishonored came along and just did everything human revolution did but better

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

Sounds like the Red Letter Media guy who became internet famous by excruciatingly dissecting the Star Wars prequels while pretending to be a serial killer/rapist.

i dont know anything about this hbomberman but red letter media is good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from what i remember the grand total of ground zeroes' bonuses are a couple of mediocre soldiers and a sneaking suit that give you a bit of a head start in the early game but are quickly outclassed so i wouldn't stress out over it

there's also hideo kojima who's an s rank guy so he's a bigger boost in the early game but you can also get him in mgsv proper without doing ground zeroes anyway

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, the gray fox skin being a ground zeroes import actually might be worth the price of admission, since it gives you super sprint. however, in mgsv proper you can get a raiden skin which gives you a slightly better super sprint so it's still something that can be replaced if you skip ground zeroes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hot take: mgs5 was good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

no thanks

i did learn though that 2018 will mark 15 years since i started/ended bonus stage. i will probably do nothing to celebrate it but it's interesting in terms of "this is how long i've been animating in my life" which is to say, specifically 44% of it

*cgi numbers flashing in a whirling cloud around my head* 15 years... 44% of your life... you must be... 60 years old

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm kinda having second thoughts about big ol strength weapons in DS2. Thankfully I've only got 12 strength as I'm pumping adaptability. I'm certainly okay with keeping the mace around at least.

That said, how much adaptability should I be going for?

there should be an agility score somewhere (i think over on the right side of the stat screen? it's been years since i played ds2) that's derived from a combination of your adaptability stat and your attunement stat. between the two you want to get it in the ~100 range if you want a decent number of invincibility frames during your dodge roll.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

I still have to get Automata and Yakuza 0 and Nioh and Resident EVII_ and and and

i got in a couple more hours of witcher 3 this weekend, at this rate it'll only be 20 more years before i finish it and can start nier

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just found out today netflix is reviving a 20 year old children's cartoon based on an edutainment video game from the 1980's in the year of our lord 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also on a related note apparently jennifer hale of commander shepard and "i'll kill your dicks" fame's first major voice acting role was as the main character on the original carmen sandiego show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lakbay posted:

Gearbox desperately scrambling to get Borderlands 3 made

i mean how could they do that without a project to embezzle the funds from

• Locked thread